Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Roadkill cooked in the engine compartment of your car.

I made an awesome stew with non-roadkill ingredients on my engine block. 4+ hours of driving and it was sublime. Now I just need to figure out how to do biscuits in there and it'll be a one-stop cooking machine for roadtrips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Can you do a chickencheese with biscuits, though?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Yes but you will need custom gravy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
As a leaving present from work I've just been given MCUSTA Zanmai pro santoku and paring knives with quince wood handles. The blades look like laminated/Damascus steel. Beautiful. How impressed should I be? They feel and look like pretty serious knives. ( I've got a Wusthof Pro S chef knife and decent Sabatier parings which are good, but these seem a cut above, no pun intended).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Are they on this page?

Looks like a nice, high quality knife.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm about to take I-70 from Utah to Virginia. What and where should I eat along the way?

How much time do you have to fiddle around? The best restaurant near Denver in my opinion is Frasca, which is a relatively short drive up to Boulder. Or if you want to go for regional specialties, you can always find a place that serves Rocky Mountain Oysters, and elk and bison are on. There are a large, large number of excellent breweries as well if you enjoy beer.

You could also go to Casa Bonita if you hate yourself and/or love South Park.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
döner kebabs in germany are loving AMAZING - why the hell doesn't the US have them :( :( :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mindphlux posted:

döner kebabs in germany are loving AMAZING - why the hell doesn't the US have them :( :( :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Gyros in Greece are better. They are the best kind of kebab.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Are they on this page?

Looks like a nice, high quality knife.
Yep. With a rather beautiful quince wood handle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Aramoro posted:

Al pastor tacos are definitely my choice.

But wow doner kebab in the states is bad compared to Europe.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Today is my daughter's birthday. I asked her what she wants for her birthday dinner, and she wants to go to the Japanese restaurant for sushi and Miso soup. She turned 5 today. I'm so proud.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I feel kind of bad for all the gws kids with precocious tastes when the times comes that they'll go to school and at least occasionally have to eat cafeteria food.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Pester posted:

I feel kind of bad for all the gws kids with precocious tastes when the times comes that they'll go to school and at least occasionally have to eat cafeteria food.

At least in my case, my kids love good food, but they don't turn their nose up at "typical" fare either. They'll eat fish sticks or chicken nuggets happily.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

No Wave posted:

Al pastor tacos are definitely my choice.

But wow doner kebab in the states is bad compared to Europe.

I take it you guys haven't been to Queens (NYC)? I have a Greek friend who knows where to go for the good stuff (including horse pastrami) and has taken me to some real hole-in-the-wall places that serve up much better dishes than "GYRO WORLD" tourist traps.

Ethnic food outside NYC is pretty hit-and-miss in general, though. My mind was blown when I ordered Chinese take-out in a Boston suburb and it was accompanied with dinner rolls instead of rice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PXJ800 posted:

I take it you guys haven't been to Queens (NYC)? I have a Greek friend who knows where to go for the good stuff (including horse pastrami) and has taken me to some real hole-in-the-wall places that serve up much better dishes than "GYRO WORLD" tourist traps.
Possible and I would love to know about where I can find horse pastrami because googling isn't getting me anything.

Queens is a long enough trip that I usually end up springing for seafood when I get out there because seafood's always been my favorite part of greek cuisine. If you have suggestions I would be interested to hear them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I make it a point to hit up Jackson Heights at least once every couple of months, because the price on veg, spices, pickles, etc is exponentially lower than what I pay in Manhattan. Add that to the Chinese markets in Elmhurst, where I can snag fresh shiitake for like $1.50/lb, and those little enoki mushrooms for a buck a pack, and fresh lotus root for like $1.75/lb, and all kind of other awesome noodles in the noodle aisle, and you've got a place worth visiting. Last time I was in Flushing, we managed to buy a granny cart full of stuff for like $50. It was insane.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

Armenian khorovadz. If it weren't for all the delicious chewy cheesy pita bread and lahmajouns I'd have eaten it for every meal when I was down there.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

PXJ800 posted:

Ethnic food outside NYC is pretty hit-and-miss in general, though. My mind was blown when I ordered Chinese take-out in a Boston suburb and it was accompanied with dinner rolls instead of rice.

Pretentious new yorker bullshit spotted.

You need to realize there are other ethnic centers outside of new york. Having bad Chinese take out in a suburb doesn't mean "everywhere but New York is poo poo" no matter how much you want it to. I bet your lutefisk suppers are terrible and you've probably never even been to a Smörgåsbord. :colbert:

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

Pretentious new yorker bullshit spotted.

You need to realize there are other ethnic centers outside of new york. Having bad Chinese take out in a suburb doesn't mean "everywhere but New York is poo poo" no matter how much you want it to. I bet your lutefisk suppers are terrible and you've probably never even been to a Smörgåsbord. :colbert:

I guess you don't know what "hit or miss" means.

edit:
HOLY poo poo. WHY.
:cantbebotheredtofigureouthowtomakethatwide-eyedsmileypretendit'shere:

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 3, 2012

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

I bet your lutefisk suppers are terrible and you've probably never even been to a Smörgåsbord. :colbert:

Bay Ridge, less so since they built the BQE. Come at me, bro.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

Today is my daughter's birthday. I asked her what she wants for her birthday dinner, and she wants to go to the Japanese restaurant for sushi and Miso soup. She turned 5 today. I'm so proud.
That's awesome. I'd be proud too. Hope ours turns out like that.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jenkin posted:

You could also go to Casa Bonita if you hate yourself and/or love South Park.

:barf: Oh dear lord this is straight up truth.

The food (except for the greasy/sugary sopapillas) is vile. The entertainment and crazyass nonsense inside is definitely worth a visit. STICK TO THE SALAD! Seriously. Your stomach will thank you.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Bay Ridge, less so since they built the BQE. Come at me, bro.

We will always be defeated by Californians and their Mexican food :(

Until it is pointed out that Chicago has the best Mexican cuisine in the country :smugdog:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Everything East of the Rockies is really another country though so.....

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

We will always be defeated by Californians and their Mexican food :(

Until it is pointed out that Chicago has the best Mexican cuisine in the country :smugdog:

You, me, Corona on the 7 train, lunch tomorrow.

PS we can do seriously legit Puebla and other Central American all over town, which insist on rocking the Sonora/Baja steez?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

You, me, Corona on the 7 train, lunch tomorrow.

PS we can do seriously legit Puebla and other Central American all over town, which insist on rocking the Sonora/Baja steez?

I'll shoot you a text, let's figure it out.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

I bet your lutefisk suppers are terrible and you've probably never even been to a Smörgåsbord. :colbert:

All lutefisk suppers are terrible because lutefisk is terrible. C'mon guys, if you wanna have a taste of the old country there's so much traditional stuff that's so, so much better :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

All lutefisk suppers are terrible because lutefisk is terrible. C'mon guys, if you wanna have a taste of the old country there's so much traditional stuff that's so, so much better :(

Are you sure? Because any food that predates the discovery of the chili is intrinsically suspect.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Like foul mudammas and mujaddara and goddamn pit roasted meat? Try again.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
A New York cop once told me that he wanted the city to build a giant mirror on the jersey side of the Hudson, so all the New Yorkers could look at the skyline. That's what I think of whenever I talk to a New Yorker who has gone too far up their own rear end.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

This is me IRL except Chicago is bigger and LA is a pot forest.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

Armenian khorovadz. If it weren't for all the delicious chewy cheesy pita bread and lahmajouns I'd have eaten it for every meal when I was down there.

I just made your Bánh chuối nướng for my wife and kids as a farewell desert before my hike through the presidential range and it is awesome, just so you know.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Halalelujah posted:

This is me IRL except Chicago is bigger and LA is a pot forest.

Hence why LA is so awesome. West Coast is the best coast!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Butch Cassidy posted:

I just made your Bánh chuối nướng for my wife and kids as a farewell desert before my hike through the presidential range and it is awesome, just so you know.

Good luck and godspeed on your hike, Butch. I'm missing the mountains, lakes, and ocean (seafood!) Of N.H. like a mofo. Have fun!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm missing the mountains, lakes, and ocean (seafood!) Of N.H. like a mofo. Have fun!

Glob! :glomp:

Would this be a bad time to tell you that a hippie just opened a lobster pound in town? In her father's old sugar shack, no less.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Sjurygg posted:

Is there anything that differentiates khorovadz from other kebabs in the Middle East? My family ended up in Lebanon after the genocide, so lately, I've been finding out that most of the "Armenian" foods I grew up on are actually Lebanese.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Butch Cassidy posted:

It is tasty indeed. You'll need all those calories, for sure.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Dear Kingdom Hearts 1:
gently caress you and your long movies that I can't skip. Or, rather, that Puppy can't skip. Whatever. I got bored waiting for the game play to happen, so I wandered off to read instead.

It's as bad as water levels in old video games. gently caress those too.

No love,
-Me

----

In other news, it's Puppy's birthday. So I'm having a few good friends over. And Bears said that she can come too, which is cool. I like meeting other GWS people. You're all pretty awesome. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dino. posted:

Dear Kingdom Hearts 1:
gently caress you and your long movies that I can't skip. Or, rather, that Puppy can't skip. Whatever. I got bored waiting for the game play to happen, so I wandered off to read instead.

It's as bad as water levels in old video games. gently caress those too.

No love,
-Me
No game that I know of tops Xenosaga for this problem. 90 minute cutscenes. There's cutscenes with save points because it goes so long it requires you to swap discs in the middle! gently caress you Xenosaga, if I wanted an anime movie I'd rent an anime movie.