Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So does snagging the kernel from an official release do anything for them? Or they need to wait for source so they can make changes to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wagonburner posted:

So does snagging the kernel from an official release do anything for them?
Not really. For one, there hasn't been a Qualcomm (msm) Nexus device since the Nexus One which isn't supported by ICS. Now, Qualcomm themselves maintain up-to-date platform support for their SoCs via Code Aurora and folks can use that as a jumping off point if they wanted to make their own 3.0 kernel port, or whatever.

The big problem is that these two official sources may still lack support for device-specific peripherals like WiFi, camera, etc. While these can be added in from the most recent manufacturer-released sources, there may still be some considerable porting and debugging effort involved. Manufacturer-released sources are much easier to work with in this regard because all the peripheral support code is included and basically "works".

One thing to keep in mind is that while some CM developers might be sufficiently capable and motivated to do a new kernel port for their favorite device, you don't really see a lot of this. Reason is that the most capable developers usually have their hands tied up with a bunch of poo poo to spent a few weeks, months even, making it happen.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Figures that samsung doesn't update their loving MTP drivers for 64bit windows. Ugh.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Huh? I've never had a problem in 64-bit Windows 7. Though I also have the Android SDK installed. I dunno whether that included anything or not.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm having problems installing the MTP drivers, they keep failing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

MTP should work natively in Windows newer than XP.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Am I correct in assuming that later versions of Android are more and more hardware intensive?

I'm asking because I snagged an old Optimus T with the stock 2.2 on it. I want to upgrade the software but its hardware isn't exactly stellar. Should I just stick with something older like CM7 or would Jelly Bean actually run faster on it because its more "buttery"?

*More than likely I'll never add phone service to it, just use it for WiFi and music.
Yep, you're correct. You need at least 256MB RAM and also a GPU to run Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean and I'm afraid your phone has neither. Your best bet is CM7.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I had this problem the other day after reinstalling Win7 from scratch. Funnily enough it worked on my old computer, also running Win7 x64. No idea why the hell it failed because it worked right off the bat before. E: Actually it just came to me -- this time I'm using bigxies rooted JB rom, while before I was on stock ICS, out of the box.

Try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1379875

Unzip all the crap, and then update driver via device manager.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Doesn't DSP allow you to raise the volume across the board?

I know CM9 solves the Galaxy Nexus' quiet volume problem, I'm surprised it doesn't help the Tab.

You know, I think I'm just unimpressed by the volume in general and maybe expected to much from the root.

One other thing, the flash unit only works when taking pictures, meaning I can't use the flashlight option, is that common CM9 bug?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Didion posted:

You know, I think I'm just unimpressed by the volume in general and maybe expected to much from the root.

One other thing, the flash unit only works when taking pictures, meaning I can't use the flashlight option, is that common CM9 bug?
Because of the way the chipset in the Galaxy Nexus works they can't get the torch to fire without opening a hidden camera app and backgrounding it so until they get a workaround they aren't going to implement it since it's a hack and breaks some camera functionality.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

give me thread posted:

E: Actually it just came to me -- this time I'm using bigxies rooted JB rom, while before I was on stock ICS, out of the box.
We're seeing all sorts of Windows driver compatibility issues with ICS/JB custom ROMs.

See, phone "drivers" for Windows aren't drivers at all. They're just little files that enumerates, for a specific set of USB vendor and product IDs, the type of USB devices the phone supports. The actual drivers are all built into the OS. But Windows is dumb and refuses to autodetect the type of device, even though the USB protocol itself sufficiently enumerates them (which is why autodetection "just works" on Linux).

Anyways, so starting with ICS (or maybe Honeycomb), the vendor and product IDs that phones use have been moved outside of the kernel sources to init scripts. The issue being that many custom ROMs will reuse init scripts from other devices, which is fine. Except that Windows might think your phone is a Galaxy Nexus when it's not, and you might have to dig around for the Galaxy Nexus drivers to make it not be stupid.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

We're seeing all sorts of Windows driver compatibility issues with ICS/JB custom ROMs.

See, phone "drivers" for Windows aren't drivers at all. They're just little files that enumerates, for a specific set of USB vendor and product IDs, the type of USB devices the phone supports. The actual drivers are all built into the OS. But Windows is dumb and refuses to autodetect the type of device, even though the USB protocol itself sufficiently enumerates them (which is why autodetection "just works" on Linux).

Anyways, so starting with ICS (or maybe Honeycomb), the vendor and product IDs that phones use have been moved outside of the kernel sources to init scripts. The issue being that many custom ROMs will reuse init scripts from other devices, which is fine. Except that Windows might think your phone is a Galaxy Nexus when it's not, and you might have to dig around for the Galaxy Nexus drivers to make it not be stupid.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Windows is still a POS although a lesser one than its predecessors. Are you sure it doesn't autodetect? I thought it does this every time you plug something new in.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

give me thread posted:

Are you sure it doesn't autodetect?
When you plug a phone (or USB device) into a machine, the phone sends a bunch of information about itself to the host. Usually it's something like "hi here's my Vendor and Product IDs, and I have four USB devices exported: UMS (mass storage), MTP, ADB, and RNDIS (networking).

That much alone is sufficient for Linux to make use of the device. However Windows pretty much stops listening after the "USB Vendor and Product IDs" part, and takes the numbers the device provides and checks it against a database of known USB devices--which are added to whenever you install a "driver". If the IDs exists in the database, the appropriate driver is registered and the device works. If the IDs don't exist in the database, Windows asks you for a driver.

The exception is that Windows is good about auto-detecting mass storage devices, which is why plugging in (older) Android phones and USB flash drives and whatever all work.

Rowe
May 16, 2006
I unlocked the boot loader on my At&t One X awhile back then didn't do anything else with it. This seems to have prevented me from being able to complete the new 4.04 OTA update even after relocking it. The update will get to the point where it restarts the phone to install but then boot into the boot loader and sit. Anyone else experienced anything like this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I broke down and rooted my GNex (toroplus), popped TWRP on there, and am waiting for this ROM to finish flashing. However, it's been a couple minutes and I'm still on the (retarded hurr durr android galaga) boot animation. How long should it be before I start getting worried? It seems to run the animation for a few secs, pause, then run again for a few secs, pause, then repeat. Hope I didn't gently caress something up.

Actually, DDMS is showing signs of life, but it looks like it's just looping.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

The Entire Universe posted:

I broke down and rooted my GNex (toroplus), popped TWRP on there, and am waiting for this ROM to finish flashing. However, it's been a couple minutes and I'm still on the (retarded hurr durr android galaga) boot animation. How long should it be before I start getting worried? It seems to run the animation for a few secs, pause, then run again for a few secs, pause, then repeat. Hope I didn't gently caress something up.

Actually, DDMS is showing signs of life, but it looks like it's just looping.

Wipe data/cache/dalvic and try to boot it.

If all else fails, reflash the ROM or try a different one.

By the way, the first boot after a flash always takes a while.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
First Jelly Bean boots can take a while since it checks the file system. Otherwise, what IT Guy said.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

IT Guy posted:

Wipe data/cache/dalvic and try to boot it.

If all else fails, reflash the ROM or try a different one.

By the way, the first boot after a flash always takes a while.

I think TWRP just wasn't playing ball with flashing multiple .zips automatically. Wiped system/cache/dalvik, flashed the ROM, then flashed GApps. Worked like a charm. Originally I had only fixed permissions after flashing but because the GApps didn't install right the first couple times it was moot.

So, if you're getting poo poo on first boot, try flashing all your poo poo manually instead of queuing them all up in TWRP.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Also, some developers recommend wiping data/cache both before flashing and after flashing. I usually follow this advice and don't have problems.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Wiping data and cache after already doing it after flashing is pretty much pointless. Remember when everyone on XDA was all about that 'super wiping' poo poo and wiping multiple times?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've been using the bugless beast JB ROMs but it looks like AOKP has nightlies out. Has anyone played with one of those yet?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dickeye posted:

I've been using the bugless beast JB ROMs but it looks like AOKP has nightlies out. Has anyone played with one of those yet?

Battery life is a little dodgy but everything works and it includes the notification pane toggles and nav bar customization among other things.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Whizbang posted:

Battery life is a little dodgy but everything works and it includes the notification pane toggles and nav bar customization among other things.

Hmmmm. Think I'll wait it out till they get the battery life thing worked out.

Unless it's because of that stupid default screen off time being set to 10 minutes thing again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

big mean giraffe posted:

Wiping data and cache after already doing it after flashing is pretty much pointless. Remember when everyone on XDA was all about that 'super wiping' poo poo and wiping multiple times?

WIPE THREE TIMES

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Unless you're on certain Exynos devices which, when using most stock Samsung kernels, will destroy the eMMC chip when you wipe data. The data is gone, permanently! :rolleye:

XDA has a lot of faults, but they've managed to find and report legitimate bugs in quite a few OEM devices. Once in a while the OEM will even decide to fix them!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

WIPE THREE TIMES

To be fair, this probably does have the effect of spooking your average Neanderthal XDA poster into actually wiping when they would have otherwise ignored a simple instruction to factory reset and then lashed out in uncomprehending anger at how broken things are after they dirty-flashed END of DAYS v3 over an AOKP nightly.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Dickeye posted:

Hmmmm. Think I'll wait it out till they get the battery life thing worked out.

Unless it's because of that stupid default screen off time being set to 10 minutes thing again.

No, the screen off time is fine, I'm not sure what the problem is. I am running Franco kernel instead of the one that comes with aokp so it might be something with that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Penguissimo posted:

To be fair, this probably does have the effect of spooking your average Neanderthal XDA poster into actually wiping when they would have otherwise ignored a simple instruction to factory reset and then lashed out in uncomprehending anger at how broken things are after they dirty-flashed END of DAYS v3 over an AOKP nightly.

I keep my shitter bloody.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I flashed Team Nyx a couple days ago to my Captivate and the performance is amazing compared to the previous ICS roms I had used. It's got my badge of approval.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
After spending a couple hours reading XDA, here's what I understand.

To install JB on my 2.3.7 Nexus S (Telus), which already has ClockworkMod and CM7, I would need to install TWRP through Clockwork, wipe, and then whatever version of JB through TWRP?

This doesn't look so bad except that I forgot what "wiping" means (been a while since I've done this) and that I can't seem to find a fully functional JB version, mostly because they do not support tethering (which I need).

Has anyone here installed JellyBean on a Nexus S, with good results? Can I feed off your knowledge? :ohdear:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

internet inc posted:

After spending a couple hours reading XDA, here's what I understand.

To install JB on my 2.3.7 Nexus S (Telus), which already has ClockworkMod and CM7, I would need to install TWRP through Clockwork, wipe, and then whatever version of JB through TWRP?

This doesn't look so bad except that I forgot what "wiping" means (been a while since I've done this) and that I can't seem to find a fully functional JB version, mostly because they do not support tethering (which I need).

Has anyone here installed JellyBean on a Nexus S, with good results? Can I feed off your knowledge? :ohdear:
TWRP is a recovery and so is Clockwork Recovery so switching recoveries isn't necessary.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Are TWRP and Clockwork equal these days? When I had my Fascinate it seemed like there were always multiple versions and colors of CMW, some would work for some things and not others. It was a pain in the rear end because I didn't follow development religiously. I flashed TWRP on my evo3d once and it always worked fine for everything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smeed posted:

Are TWRP and Clockwork equal these days? When I had my Fascinate it seemed like there were always multiple versions and colors of CMW, some would work for some things and not others. It was a pain in the rear end because I didn't follow development religiously. I flashed TWRP on my evo3d once and it always worked fine for everything.

I've never needed anything other than CWR for my wife's Nexus S.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Does anyone have a good guide for updating an Evo 3D with hboot 1.4 rooted with revolutionary? I want to get on the official Sprint ICS based builds (MeanROM 2.6 I guess? Is there anything better?) with the new kernel and firmware.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FlyingCheese posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for updating an Evo 3D with hboot 1.4 rooted with revolutionary? I want to get on the official Sprint ICS based builds (MeanROM 2.6 I guess? Is there anything better?) with the new kernel and firmware.

I'm in a similar position, but I don't want to wipe and install a new ROM. I just want to update to the OTA without losing root. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do that from browsing XDA...

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

I thought I could do this on my own, but I'm steadily getting more angry at this and my google-ing doesn't seem to be helping me.

I'm trying to root my Xoom (mz604). I'm following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1717402&highlight=root

When I type 'adb reboot bootloader' into CMD I keep on getting 'error: device not found'

Outside of that, when I try exploring the SD card in recovery I keep on getting: e: failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)

Any ideas? Where have I gone wrong?

All I've successfully done is factory reset the thing.

E: Sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

Abiggoat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 5, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Abiggoat posted:

I thought I could do this on my own, but I'm steadily getting more angry at this and my google-ing doesn't seem to be helping me.

I'm trying to root my Xoom (mz604). I'm following this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1717402&highlight=root

When I type 'adb reboot bootloader' into CMD I keep on getting 'error: device not found'

Outside of that, when I try exploring the SD card in recovery I keep on getting: e: failed to mount /sdcard (no such file or directory)

Any ideas? Where have I gone wrong?

All I've successfully done is factory reset the thing.

E: Sorry if this isn't the right place for this.
You don't have the correct ADB driver installed (I'm assuming you're using a Windows PC). I don't know what the bootloader for the Xoom looks like but I've never seen a bootloader that didn't let you just use the hardware buttons to restart the bootloader.

Edit: Wait, looking at this guide some more, is there no way to boot directly to the bootloader? ADB doesn't work in the bootloader, only in recovery or Android, so why is the first command telling it to reboot to the bootloader? Can one not just do that manually (like every other Android device I've ever seen)?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 5, 2012

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

LastInLine posted:

Edit: Wait, looking at this guide some more, is there no way to boot directly to the bootloader? ADB doesn't work in the bootloader, only in recovery or Android, so why is the first command telling it to reboot to the bootloader? Can one not just do that manually (like every other Android device I've ever seen)?

I should've started my post by saying "I have literally no idea what I'm doing". I think I've unlocked the bootloader because pretty much every other CMD command in that guide worked.

I think my main problem is the SD card error I keep on getting in recovery.

e: Mysteriously all of the CMD commands are working fine. It is just the SD error that I need help after all.

e2: My Xoom decided now was the moment to finally upgrade to ICS. I got excited because I thought that would bring SD card support, but it hasn't :smith:

Abiggoat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 5, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Abiggoat posted:

I should've started my post by saying "I have literally no idea what I'm doing". I think I've unlocked the bootloader because pretty much every other CMD command in that guide worked.

I think my main problem is the SD card error I keep on getting in recovery.

e: Mysteriously all of the CMD commands are working fine. It is just the SD error that I need help after all.
Yeah that first command didn't work because, well, it shouldn't have been there at all.

I don't know anything about the Xoom so I can't help you with the SD card but why don't you put the file you needed to flash on the internal storage instead? The Xoom did SD cards weird and didn't support them at all for the longest time so it's not surprising to me that the recovery can't mount it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've been trying to do all my own research on doing this root thing for the first time so I don't pelt people with stupid questions, but this one I'm having trouble figuring out.

I'm looking at unlocking/rooting/wiping my Gnex and installing Bugless Beast. I know homedude puts out nightlies, but how does that work? Is that like a fresh wipe and reload, or do you install those like OTAs on stock?