Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

Having gotten home pretty much piss wet:

a) I need a new yellow poncho
b) I'm reminded that the recent weather has spoiled me, and I want a car rather than a bigger/more funner bike
You need to get one of those bigass rain coats/tarps, and wear it backwards so the seam is on the back. For shoes, they make these things that go over your shoes and are waterproof as all hell. Alternatively, you could see what it takes to get one of those scooter shells and see if people think you're a parking maid or handicapped.

quadrophrenic posted:

I've learned that 7/11 umbrellas are piss and I need to get shoes with tread on them or I'm going to spill all of my brains out on the sidewalk one fateful day.

I know both of those things should be obvious, but I grew up in a place where it only rains about 5 days a year, so yeah. Excited for the typhoon.
If you're good about not losing your umbrella all the goddamn time, there are some really nice automatic foldables that expand to a fuckoff huge size(though this may be too big, like, I wouldn't recommend walking through a night market with one open), collapse by pressing the button again, and have that nicer build quality to them so they don't bend out of shape. I got one years back for 300-500NT at some night market, and it's still in great shape VS the plethora of standing umbrellas that have all gotten bent out of shape or whatever.

What I hate about rainy days is finding out what parts of the tile sidewalk are loose as the tile you step on sinks and your shoe gets flooded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HappyHelmet posted:

Not to turn discussion away from dongs and condom sizes, but...

Anyone else notice cops actually giving a poo poo about traffic violations suddenly? I've been pulled over 3 times in the last 2 months :(. Got out of at least two tickets by pulling the "I'm a retarded foreigner what did I do wrong?" routine, but may have a size-able ticket coming on the other one.

There was a notice at my apartment building for all the scooters to park overnight in the actual (pretty small) area they have in front of the building instead of taking over the corner. Its actually pretty annoying because I always get blocked in.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

What I hate about rainy days is finding out what parts of the tile sidewalk are loose as the tile you step on sinks and your shoe gets flooded.
Oh Jesus this loving forever. I know people love to mock Taiwanese construction work, but the loving sidewalks are the worst. Between the apparently floating tiles and the aforementioned "need shoes with tread" slippery-as-gently caress paths, I don't even understand. The slippery sidewalks in particular I don't get, because it's not like this place isn't getting pissed on from a great height a good two-thirds of the year or anything.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with the best ways to get hard copy-only (as opposed to digital distribution) American (or at least English language) video games in Taiwan?

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh Jesus this loving forever. I know people love to mock Taiwanese construction work, but the loving sidewalks are the worst. Between the apparently floating tiles and the aforementioned "need shoes with tread" slippery-as-gently caress paths, I don't even understand. The slippery sidewalks in particular I don't get, because it's not like this place isn't getting pissed on from a great height a good two-thirds of the year or anything.

Seriously, why the hell is that?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mad carl posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the best ways to get hard copy-only (as opposed to digital distribution) American (or at least English language) video games in Taiwan?
Console or PC?

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Console or PC?

Console! Thinking about things like PS3s, 3DSes and Vitas.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

mad carl posted:

3DS: Die and be reincarnated as someone who speaks Chinese and reads Japanese.

PS3: I'm pretty sure that the main two consoles sell in English here. I know that Xbox does, PS3 might sell a lot of Japanese poo poo though.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mad carl posted:

3DS you're going to need a US system and to buy online, because the only systems and games they sell here are Japanese and I'm about 99% sure they're region locked. They might do a handful of games in Chinese too in like four or five years, if the Wii was anything to go by. God that was a loving poo poo-show. Vitas I don't know, but PS3 stuff is usually localized into Chinese, but I'm pretty sure they also have English on the disks too. 360s are all English. Except, obviously, where the games are Japanese imports, or a few games like The Witcher 2, which came only in Chinese.

And a tip I learned the hard way: When they say 字幕 in reference to games, it doesn't mean "subtitles" like it usually does, it means "on-screen text."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Welp, latest update: Taipei City, Taipei County, and Keelung are getting a typhoon day tomorrow.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

Welp, latest update: Taipei City, Taipei County, and Keelung are getting a typhoon day tomorrow.

Sweeeeeeeet. I been 100 kinds of tired this past week. The timing is perfect.

Expect drunk posts in 5, 4, ...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Check your email while you're at it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Schools are closed in the Taichung area, too.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Console situation:
PS3: region-free games, same region blu-ray, Asia region DVD and ps2/PSX compatibility. English games are easy to find and can be played on any ps3.

Xbox 360: region locking in place, but many games are region free. English games are easy to find, but may be playable only on Asian 360s.

DS Lite: region free, impossible to find English games here

PSP: region free, English game availability is here and there.

3DS, Wii, Vita(I'm pretty sure): you're hosed

For anything you want on English that's not available in shops, play-Asia is decent though you'll usually pay $5-10 as a price premium, but it may still be cheaper than US ridiculous price points, and actually, prices can be pretty good there. *ahem* grey market is in fact a thing here, so to speak, but I'm not going into that. I have a $5 off $60 coupon for August if anyone wants it.

url posted:

Sweeeeeeeet. I been 100 kinds of tired this past week. The timing is perfect.

Expect drunk posts probation in 5, 4, ...

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Check your email while you're at it.

I saw it the other day, and yeah, I'm p familiar with the area - I got some budget t-shirts there a few months ago.

I 'might' skip the class this weekend, because, a) I'm knackered and b) the mrs has to do a funeral and that might mean some running around on my part.

Speaking of t-shirts, I saw a few places doing youtube/facebook/apple/yahoo t shirts recently at 40NT$ a pop. I passed them up at the time, but really they'd be ideal for lol-crappy gifts. I'm regretting it now that I've not seen them for a couple of weeks.

something something groucho marx club that would have me as a member yadda yadda ;)

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The best page for finding out if your region is off for a typhoon

http://vps1.jameslick.com/dgpa/

or the original in Chinese

http://www.dgpa.gov.tw/

thegoat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 1, 2012

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty weird that we've got it off in Tainan despite it just being really windy and really light rain. I know anything can happen but the storm track doesn't even look like it will get nearer to the south than it already has.

I wonder if my boss is going to honor it or not. I'd actually be bummed about losing out on hours but whatever, I'd just like to know one way or the other before noon tomorrow when the office opens. :(

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I'm surprised they called tomorrow off already, though it may be them being polite to let people have time to clean up the next day; it's most definitely a f'real typhoon goin' on.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Like Moon Slayer said apparently poo poo is already closing here in Taichung. However, I highly doubt I will get the day off its just not the buxiban way :(.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm in New Taipei City and my school hasn't called me to say if we're closed or not. I know we had the official announcement, but my school has called me every other time to let me know. I'm going to check in just to be on the safe side.

mad carl
Feb 11, 2009
Thanks for the video game input, duders.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Oh wow someone actually loving died in Sanxia because of the typhoon. Apparently we've been having horrible mudslides all morning as the mountains collapsed and some dude got caught in it.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Haraksha posted:

Oh wow someone actually loving died in Sanxia because of the typhoon. Apparently we've been having horrible mudslides all morning as the mountains collapsed and some dude got caught in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4sMg1HTYbQ

:/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah, Taiwanese media have a long tradition of sending reporters out into frankly loving insane situations during typhoons and floods, often to the point where their lives are clearly in danger. It sucks for the reporters, because what are they going to do, refuse? They'd be out of a job in no time. I'm just surprised there haven't been more deaths. Or any, that I know of.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
You mean to tell me Taiwanese bosses do not care for the well-being of their employees?

I am shocked, shocked I tell you.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
OB is usually the starting point for most reporters I thought.
lovely weather reports and cheesy vox pop being the first ports of call.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

That is disturbingly close to my apartment.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Holy balls, not only that, but the fact that the second section of road collapsed just as suddenly is nuckin' futs. Kinda reminds me of when there were collapses/foundation issues when building the Kaohsiung MRT, but I don't think those were on video or anything.

The reporter being there in this case wasn't so bad; it's the ones where they're say... by the coast and they're saying "look how big the waves are!" and the cops are telling them to get the gently caress out already.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

duckfarts posted:

Holy balls, not only that, but the fact that the second section of road collapsed just as suddenly is nuckin' futs. Kinda reminds me of when there were collapses/foundation issues when building the Kaohsiung MRT, but I don't think those were on video or anything.

The reporter being there in this case wasn't so bad; it's the ones where they're say... by the coast and they're saying "look how big the waves are!" and the cops are telling them to get the gently caress out already.

pretty sure I've seen whole collections of green reporters being sent into the eye of a hurricane etc. etc., but that's not Taiwan specific so I'll not stray off-topic.

ugh gawker

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Or where they're almost waist-deep in fairly fast-flowing flood waters. Half the time you can just about see them thinking "well, I could listen to the cops and get out, but I'd be fired almost immediately, or I could listen to my boss and quite possibly die. Well, I guess I'm hosed either way."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man there are hell of cops - including CIB, customs, and dudes with automatic rifles - downstairs at the moment. Like 50-60 cops bumrushed the bar on the second floor of my building like almost an hour ago, and there's a big loving cop bus waiting to take a bunch of motherfuckers away. There must be a hell of a drug and/or gang bust going on. People are even getting ID'd on the way in at the main entrance. Strangely not the back entrance though, which seems loving stupid.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TetsuoTW posted:

Man there are hell of cops - including CIB, customs, and dudes with automatic rifles - downstairs at the moment. Like 50-60 cops bumrushed the bar on the second floor of my building like almost an hour ago, and there's a big loving cop bus waiting to take a bunch of motherfuckers away. There must be a hell of a drug and/or gang bust going on. People are even getting ID'd on the way in at the main entrance. Strangely not the back entrance though, which seems loving stupid.

This happened a lot when the cops started busting up all the bars in Taichung. You would see about 20-30 cops milling around a corner to a bar. Then they would all move in and start ID'ing everybody, and issuing as many violations to the bar as possible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, Taiwan is so loving weird about vice. There are a ton of bars in and around Taipei, but they're almost always hidden in an alley. It's very, very rare to see a drinking establishment on a main road. Sex and drugs are perfectly available and even openly sold, but every now and then the cops come down on it hard. Police raids are just something that happens here. Not to mention how hosed up the legal code is regarding prostitution.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, Taiwan is so loving weird about vice. There are a ton of bars in and around Taipei, but they're almost always hidden in an alley. It's very, very rare to see a drinking establishment on a main road. Sex and drugs are perfectly available and even openly sold, but every now and then the cops come down on it hard. Police raids are just something that happens here. Not to mention how hosed up the legal code is regarding prostitution.

Taichung was particularly bad. The mayor has apparently always had a bit of an agenda about moving bars to basically two specific areas of the city (an area on the West side, and around the train station). When the bar fire happened he used it to come down extremely hard on the bars faster than they could do anything about it.

The accepted norm prior to the fire as I understood it was that bars would just bribe officials. Which I don't really condone, however, it was the way things had always been done here. Then suddenly there were raids all over the city just straight up shutting bars down without even a warning. Now there is basically nothing in the city because the owners weren't given any time to prepare, and had no capitol to be starting a new bar in one of the "ok" places. Which are also in very low traffic areas that would be very difficult to get started in.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is so frustrating to read. It's like a prohibition wet-dream witnessed through the eyes of a person who understands the fallout.

How could they not realize that forcing all of the bars in a city into a single area would have terrible consequences? Do they not understand the expression "unofficial red light district"? Maybe they think they can keep it contained, but all it does is force it underground. That poo poo is going on, I promise you that. Only now it's tied up with what would otherwise be normal bars.

Why did they think Taichung was a smart place to try this? Are they completely unaware of the city's criminal history? "I know," says the mayor, "let's make it near impossible for legitimate businesses to offer a legitimate service!" All they've done is forced anyone without criminal backing out of the bar game. Anyone who can't afford to back a new bar can't open one, which means the only places left open either have funding from the criminal underground or enough connections to be left alone. I highly doubt that entrepreneurs with enough cash to start a new bar are going to want to risk their money in the current political climate.

Let me guess. Of the handful of bars left open in Taichung, the most prominent are obviously run by gangsters?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Haraksha posted:

Let me guess. Of the handful of bars left open in Taichung, the most prominent are obviously run by gangsters?

I don't know, that one place where the staff all wear school uniforms seems on the up-and-up!

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

This is so frustrating to read. It's like a prohibition wet-dream witnessed through the eyes of a person who understands the fallout.

How could they not realize that forcing all of the bars in a city into a single area would have terrible consequences? Do they not understand the expression "unofficial red light district"? Maybe they think they can keep it contained, but all it does is force it underground. That poo poo is going on, I promise you that. Only now it's tied up with what would otherwise be normal bars.

Why did they think Taichung was a smart place to try this? Are they completely unaware of the city's criminal history? "I know," says the mayor, "let's make it near impossible for legitimate businesses to offer a legitimate service!" All they've done is forced anyone without criminal backing out of the bar game. Anyone who can't afford to back a new bar can't open one, which means the only places left open either have funding from the criminal underground or enough connections to be left alone. I highly doubt that entrepreneurs with enough cash to start a new bar are going to want to risk their money in the current political climate.

Of the bars that are left in the city that I know about most of them aren't really bars, but high volume clubs. I have no idea who runs those places, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they had some important connections/are run by gangsters.

As far as small bars go, there is really nothing right now though. Not even shady looking gangster run places. I had heard of some "underground" places, but they sounded more like people operating out of their apartments with only a couple friends.

*Fun fact: After all the bars shut down everybody just started going to 7-11, Family Mart, etc using them as makeshift bars. In response the city banned all outdoor seating at convenience stores, wonderful :v:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

GoutPatrol posted:

I don't know, that one place where the staff all wear school uniforms seems on the up-and-up!

The place I go to in Sanxia is like that. Sure weird how all the customers are covered in tattoos.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Never has this thread's title been more appropriate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, Ximending was insane yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

Yeah, Ximending was insane yesterday.

Howso? I'm on vacation in America, what did I miss?