Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

SubG posted:

Does pla duk pad ped count as `fried catfish'? If it doesn't, then pla duk pad ped. If it does, reconsider your requirements.

Edit: Or maybe pla duk fu.

This was pretty good. I botched it by making my catfish slices way too small and they all broke apart when they went back in the work :(

Red curry paste is tasty and quite spicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Holy poo poo I had no idea the olive oil in my cup board was fraudulent...never had any reason to second guess it. Thanks for the info!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

RazorBunny posted:

I actually made this same recipe the other day, and I just used the paddle beater. I'm sure the dough hook would do just fine.

One note - try to roll out the naan as thin as possible. I didn't roll out the first couple of pieces as much as I should have, and they came out kind of doughy in the middle. Roll them out thin and they'll come out much more nice and crisp.

My naan turned out terrible, but still delicious. When I went to heat up my grill, I realized the propane was super low. By the time I went to put the naan on the grill, the flame was out.

I ran inside, and turned on the broiler on high. 5 naan were burned in the process, leaving 5 pieces salvageable. They're about an inch high, and about five inches in diameter :toot:.

I essentially made biscuits with some butter and garlic slathered on top.

This was my first time baking any type of bread from scratch, and it was a lot of fun.

I'll try again with my next Indian meal. This naan will not defeat me.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 4, 2012

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
My brother is having a dinner tomorrow and asked me to bring a side dish. I am looking for some suggestions on super easy dishes that somewhat go with what they are making. So far what they have planned is:

-Korean seafood pancake
-Vietnamese asparagus crab meat with quail eggs soup
-Egg rolls
-Roasted pork rolls
-Hawaiian leaf beef with thin woven vermicelli
-Combination fried rice
-Grill/bake chicken
-Thai assorted fruits desert

So it is mostly Asian of some sort. I prefer something that isn't sweet, and if it uses meat I much prefer beef, though I am flexible.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I am looking to recreate my favorite "Mexican" dish from local chains - Chile Colorado. I have tried a dozen recipes, from Rick Bayless' to Internet recipes without getting close. I think the biggest difference is that all the recipes are braises or stews where the meat (beef, although in Austin the dish was made with pork) is actually cooked in the sauce, whereas the restaurant version is a separate sauce served over seared small-diced beef.

Some places claim that the Colorado sauce is merely enchilada sauce from a can (it isn't).

The sauce as presented is a deep brownish red with the primary flavor being commercial chili powder and tomato rather than a more authentic mix of dried chili powders.

The thing is, I don't really care about authenticity - I just want to recreate that specific taste if I can - served with refried beans with melted queso fresco or queso blanco and Spanish rice is something I crave, especially since the only decent restaurant near me must have changed cooks since for the last year or so the dishes have been way oversalted.

Also, If anyone is familiar with a dish called steak tanchero (not ranchero) which was a thin sliced ribeye steak served in an awesome red sauce (not spicy) I'd love a recipe for that as well.

Никогда не доверяйте толстому полицейскому или тощему повару

LongSack fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 4, 2012

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Sorry, quote != edit

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Have a question about freezing bechamel/cheese sauce: Should I even bother? Will it remain stable and not get too grainy when reheated? Or should I just make small batches and use up what I make at that time?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

dalstrs posted:

My brother is having a dinner tomorrow and asked me to bring a side dish. I am looking for some suggestions on super easy dishes that somewhat go with what they are making. . . . So it is mostly Asian of some sort. I prefer something that isn't sweet, and if it uses meat I much prefer beef, though I am flexible.

How about namul?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarepanda posted:

How about namul?

Ugh. If you're going to go with a Korean side dish and have beef, make japchae. Leave out the sugar/corn syrup, almost all Korean recipes are improved by that.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I was just thinking that it seems like there's a lot of grease on the menu, so something tart and cold like namul might be a nice complement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just hate most namul and don't think anyone should be subjected to it.

If you do it, be very careful with the quantity of sauce and the cooking time in the recipe. Koreans like their vegetables cooked into mush and covered with enough sauce that you can't taste anything. Some of the recipes might be good if you avoided these problems. I have had good namul but it's rare.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Are we on the same page?

http://wenitasya.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/namul.jpeg is what I'm thinking of.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Are we on the same page?

http://wenitasya.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/namul.jpeg is what I'm thinking of.

That's one kind, yeah. Usually the vegetables are massively overcooked.

I don't know the name of it, but there's one with garlic stems. It's usually the best one on the table, if I were making any namul it'd be that one.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Maybe the Japanese versions are different or I like lovely namul or something; it's usually pretty firm, tangy bordering on vinegary, and cold cold cold.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Maybe the Japanese versions are different or I like lovely namul or something; it's usually pretty firm, tangy bordering on vinegary, and cold cold cold.

Probably adjusted for Japanese tastes. In Korea it's usually mushy and no tang, sometimes sweet, sometimes just kind of rancid like old sesame oil. Could be a regional thing too, when I go to Seoul or somewhere I never eat Korean food since I can get that poo poo here. To me the vegetables are the worst part of Korean cuisine.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I've been making cheese dip for years using Velveeta, and I'm looking for an alternative. Any suggestions on what type/brand of cheese makes for a good white or yellow cheese dip?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
From a quick google it looks like it is cold seasoned beansprouts, is that accurate, and is really tasty? I have never been a fan of bean sprouts (maybe I have just never had good ones).

For some reason brussel sprouts sound kinda good to me, any asian type side dishes made with them?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Brussels Sprouts are not in season. What is in season that would be lovely is zucchini. If you know anyone who grows it, you'll get some rather happy people, because you'll be taking some. Knock up a sunomono. It's relatively simple and can be served as a counterpoints to the greasier stuff.

Barring that, I'd say so some kind of Texas caviar (blacked eyed peas, tomatoes, peppers, etc etc) just because it takes advantsnge of all the summer vegetables, and will be refreshing on a hot day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:catstare: You are so loving wrong, Fromage. I didn't know someone could be so loving wrong.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

:catstare: You are so loving wrong, Fromage. I didn't know someone could be so loving wrong.

Well, for perspective I live in Korea and there's not exactly a lot of variety here, so I eat it constantly and would be happy to never see another plate of namul in my life. Korean food doesn't have much diversity and gets old after a couple months. And I always found Korean vegetable preparations to be largely terrible.

I would still happily eat samgyeopsal or galmeggisal until I literally exploded, though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, for perspective I live in Korea and there's not exactly a lot of variety here, so I eat it constantly and would be happy to never see another plate of namul in my life. Korean food doesn't have much diversity and gets old after a couple months. And I always found Korean vegetable preparations to be largely terrible.

I would still happily eat samgyeopsal or galmeggisal until I literally exploded, though.

I completely understand where Fromage is coming from; good, traditional Korean food is rapidly disappearing on the peninsula itself because people don't give a poo poo anymore and the vast majority of people have grown up with horrid mass-produced versions of traditional food. In an ironic twist, first generation immigrants who left the country during the 80's (like my mom) have kept up the old school recipes because that was the only way they could eat it, whereas Koreans in Korea have pretty much all abandoned home-made namul, kimchi, bean paste, etc, for the sake of convenience.

It's really telling what Grand Fromage is going through when he says to avoid sugar/corn syrup in japchae; that is loving disgusting, and it's just an example of how Western sugar creep is infiltrating Korean cuisine on the peninsula.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

It's really telling what Grand Fromage is going through when he says to avoid sugar/corn syrup in japchae; that is loving disgusting, and it's just an example of how Western sugar creep is infiltrating Korean cuisine on the peninsula.

Do you think you could get some of those old recipes? I'd love to try them. Especially hearing this--in my experience, virtually all Korean food is sweet, and Korean versions of any kind of foreign food are usually sweet to the point of being inedible. I've never actually made japchae (don't know why since it's awesome) but I've never seen a Korean recipe that wasn't loaded with sugar and syrup.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you think you could get some of those old recipes? I'd love to try them. Especially hearing this--in my experience, virtually all Korean food is sweet, and Korean versions of any kind of foreign food are usually sweet to the point of being inedible. I've never actually made japchae (don't know why since it's awesome) but I've never seen a Korean recipe that wasn't loaded with sugar and syrup.

I personally hate japchae so I don't have the recipe on hand, but I'll ask my ma for you. And I completely understand about the horrid sweetness everywhere; last time I was in Korea, I went to Paris Baguette for some breakfast, and I got what I thought was garlic toast. It turned out to be a thick slice of white bread smeared with buttery garlic spread, sure, but they didn't tell you it was then coated with thick layer of granulated SUGAR. :barf:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

I personally hate japchae so I don't have the recipe on hand, but I'll ask my ma for you. And I completely understand about the horrid sweetness everywhere; last time I was in Korea, I went to Paris Baguette for some breakfast, and I got what I thought was garlic toast. It turned out to be a thick slice of white bread smeared with buttery garlic spread, sure, but they didn't tell you it was then coated with thick layer of granulated SUGAR. :barf:

The classic Korean experience! Oh yes I would like some garlic bread, thank you. Wait why is there an inch thick layer of honey on this? There are also the "corn dogs" which are a hot dog dipped in pancake batter and rolled in sugar.

My personal favorite was Paris Baguette "rye bread", which was just regular no-rye bread that was purple, super sweet, and had chunks of apple in it.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

me your dad posted:

My naan turned out terrible, but still delicious. When I went to heat up my grill, I realized the propane was super low. By the time I went to put the naan on the grill, the flame was out.

I didn't want to fuss with the grill when I did mine because it was raining, so I just heated up a skillet on the stove and used that. It worked pretty well as an alternative.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
I'm trying to get to like eggplant. It's always tasted like cardboard to me, but I'm pretty sure that's because I've always had crap eggplant from the supermarket. The dude I get my veg from at the farmer's market is selling eggplants now, so I'm going in with the assumption that, like most things, eggplant is better when it's fresh, local, and hasn't been stored in an icy warehouse for a month.

What applications or other ingredients bring out the good flavors of an eggplant best? I don't want to just use it as a vehicle for cheese, sauce, or breading, but try to make something that actually brings out the eggplant flavor.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My mother's friend, who is korean, visited Korea a bit ago and brought back some candies. One of them was green tea chocolate and it was actually decent. Another one was a garlic candy, and it was possibly the foulest candy I've ever placed in my mouth. It was a gel-like consistency and fairly sweet, but it had an overwhelming flavor of garlic in it. That candy must be a microcosm for contemporary korean cuisine or something.

Speaking of korean cuisine, how does home-made kimchi compare to commercial stuff I can buy at the grocery? I bought some a while ago, but it had a really strange and off-putting flavor to it so I didn't eat very much of it. The best way I can describe it is that it reminded me of the taste inhalers (like for asthma or lung stuff). Was it just weird preservatives they put in it, or a bad brand or something? Or does kimchi just have a strange taste I don't like.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My home-made kimchi is a lot more funky and powerful than store brands, but that might just have to do with how much paste I put in. There's a sweet spot when it's about a month old where the sourness is refreshing and bright, but then after that it turns way too sour.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Show Me A Chicken posted:

I'm trying to get to like eggplant. It's always tasted like cardboard to me, but I'm pretty sure that's because I've always had crap eggplant from the supermarket. The dude I get my veg from at the farmer's market is selling eggplants now, so I'm going in with the assumption that, like most things, eggplant is better when it's fresh, local, and hasn't been stored in an icy warehouse for a month.

What applications or other ingredients bring out the good flavors of an eggplant best? I don't want to just use it as a vehicle for cheese, sauce, or breading, but try to make something that actually brings out the eggplant flavor.

Eggplant generally is not overly flavorful. I mean, I like eggplant but I dont think Ive ever caught myself saying "godDAMN I loves me some eggplant!" That being said, I like a good eggplant dip or baba ghanouj.. authenticity may vary, but it's nice to cut in half and grill, let it get nice and dark and smoky, put it in an oven to finish cooking if you have to (it should be totally soft), then scoop out the flesh and blend it with like, good poo poo: roasted garlic, cayenne, xvo, herbs, and some pomegranate or sumac or lemon etc for some sourness.

e: well I wouldnt say not overly flavorful, thats true of your generic big purple eggplant wizard eggplant. I enjoy many kinds, though the little orange ones (I forget if theyre turkish or indian), they are pretty bitter and horrible.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

The classic Korean experience!

You should write a thread on this, Big Cheese. It's...certainly something :stare:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Short version: How should I cook frozen breaded tilapia fillets?

Long version: Until last week, my friend owned a Mexican restaurant. When it closed, he distributed the contents of the restaurant's freezer between his friends; among other things, I got a plain plastic bag full of frozen breaded tilapia fillets that look like this:

As near as I can tell, the batter is partially cooked and the fish is raw. I tried baking them following the instructions for Gorton's fish fillets-- frozen fish on a baking sheet, 425 degrees for ~25 minutes, turning once-- the fish was cooked to perfection, but the breading was a little mushy and only slightly brown.

I think they need to be fried, but I'm not sure how to do it. I've batter-fried fresh fish before; it's the par-cooked batter and frozen nature of the tilapia that's tripping me up. Should I thaw it first? Pan-fry or deep fry? Suggestions for oil temperature?

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
My cakes never rise. The baking powder I use is fresh, as are the rest of my ingredients. What's going on?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RoeCocoa posted:

Short version: How should I cook frozen breaded tilapia fillets?

Long version: Until last week, my friend owned a Mexican restaurant. When it closed, he distributed the contents of the restaurant's freezer between his friends; among other things, I got a plain plastic bag full of frozen breaded tilapia fillets that look like this:

As near as I can tell, the batter is partially cooked and the fish is raw. I tried baking them following the instructions for Gorton's fish fillets-- frozen fish on a baking sheet, 425 degrees for ~25 minutes, turning once-- the fish was cooked to perfection, but the breading was a little mushy and only slightly brown.

I think they need to be fried, but I'm not sure how to do it. I've batter-fried fresh fish before; it's the par-cooked batter and frozen nature of the tilapia that's tripping me up. Should I thaw it first? Pan-fry or deep fry? Suggestions for oil temperature?

Looks like you just need to deep fry them, or experiment with your oven settings if you like. Usually you just throw those straight from the freezer into the fryer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Eeyo posted:

Speaking of korean cuisine, how does home-made kimchi compare to commercial stuff I can buy at the grocery?
Homemade kimchi rocks. The kimchi thread from a while back was a revelatory experience for me, entirely because someone mentioned just making kimchi out of all the random greens from their CSA box. One of those `why the gently caress didn't I think of that' things. So now when the box shows up and there's like three different flavours of chard and two kinds of kale and like that, instead of being all what the gently caress am I going to do with all of this it's like :kimchi:.

Turkeybone posted:

Eggplant generally is not overly flavorful. I mean, I like eggplant but I dont think Ive ever caught myself saying "godDAMN I loves me some eggplant!"
I think the only time I've eaten something and thought `drat, that's some good eggplant' was some Thai thing that I don't know the name of that was spicy and had a bunch of basil in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cranky pomme posted:

My cakes never rise. The baking powder I use is fresh, as are the rest of my ingredients. What's going on?

Do you live at high altitude?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Ok, I partially took the zucchini idea and made a zucchini/squash gartin, it doesn't match the theme and is kinda heavy but whatever. I also saw some fresh local green beans that I blanched and am giving a quick saute in sesame oil and a garlic vinaigrette (no idea if it is going to be good). I can post pictures if anyone wants to see.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

cranky pomme posted:

Post your recipe.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you live at high altitude?

About 2,000 feet, so no.

Thumposaurus posted:

Post your recipe.

Sure, it's Sweetapolita's Lemon-Blueberry Cake.

recipe posted:

Ingredients

2 cups plus 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

3 cups fresh blueberries

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon pure lemon extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened about 20 minutes out of refrigerator
1 1/2 cups white sugar

4 large eggs

Method

Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare three 8″ round cake pans with parchment paper, butter and flour. Sift dry ingredients into medium bowl. Transfer 1 tablespoon flour mixture to larger bowl. Add fresh blueberries and toss to coat them with flour. Set remaining flour mixture and blueberries aside.

Stir whole milk, sour cream, vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon zest in small bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar, until pale yellow and very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, until well combined. Mix in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries. Divide batter equally among 8″ round pans.

Bake cakes until toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool cakes in pans on racks for about 10 minutes, then invert onto racks until completely cool.

When I make cupcakes they generally rise just fine, if a bit flat every now and then. Cakes just... don't. I've switched pans, ingredient brands--everything but the oven, really.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks awful acidic. Maybe the acid balance is off and it needs a little baking soda to even it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
You might also be overmixing the batter, especially at the egg part. Or the blueberry part. Try to treat it as gently as possible and don't worry about a few streaks of flour or egg that aren't mixed in all the way.