Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jerusalem posted:

Where do people who buy these things store them? I love having all my DVDs/Blu-Rays lined up on a shelf and all these overcomplicated cases just leave me so confused. I mean I saw one of these today:

It's a 31(!) disc set of the Harry Potter franchise, costs $499 and where the hell would you even put it?

I now picture some burglar opening this up expecting some fancy jewelry, only to discover nothing but Harry Potter blu rays.

Also holy poo poo, 31 discs. That's almost 4 per movie, what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I now picture some burglar opening this up expecting some fancy jewelry, only to discover nothing but Harry Potter blu rays.

Also holy poo poo, 31 discs. That's almost 4 per movie, what the hell?

Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy for each movie is 24 right there

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The very first review for this item is titled "FINALLY!" :stare:
That's a review of the original DVD version.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I always knew the French Connection Blu-Ray was lovely, but I didn't realise the whole story behind it til I read an Freidkin interview on the AVClub.

AvClub posted:

AVC: So what was your reaction to the criticisms of the French Connection Blu-ray? You personally re-timed the colors for Blu-ray, and some people felt you’d defaced a masterpiece.

WF: Oh, The French Connection Blu-ray, the master that we made was absolutely perfect. Then when Fox took it out to reproduce it, mass production, it goes through four different companies. It got screwed up badly, and I didn’t know that. I had only seen the master; I never saw any of the playback copies. And Owen Roizman, the cameraman, got a copy at Best Buy and said it looked like poo poo! He denounced it. I said, “What are you talking about?” He brought his copy in, and we ran it next to the master, and he was right. The prints were badly made. So we remade them, he and I supervised a new version of the Blu-ray, which went into a Best Buy exclusive, for I think six months, and then it’ll go broad—it’ll replace the other one. What I learned was that Fox, when they put that DVD out, there was a little warning inside the box that said, “This may not play well on your home receiver. If it doesn’t, write to w-w-w dot so-and-so, so-and-so. We’ll send you a disc that will make your own playback receiver compatible.” This was like a caveat emptor. And Roizman was right. The copies were all over the place. That’s not a perfect process, either. We made new ones that should be great, because we had a different company do the mass release. They’re at Best Buy, and when their exclusive expires, they’ll be everywhere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I have the new version btw and it's excellent.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I always knew the French Connection Blu-Ray was lovely, but I didn't realise the whole story behind it til I read an Freidkin interview on the AVClub.

WilliamFriedkin posted:

What I learned was that Fox, when they put that DVD out, there was a little warning inside the box that said, “This may not play well on your home receiver. If it doesn’t, write to w-w-w dot so-and-so, so-and-so. We’ll send you a disc that will make your own playback receiver compatible.” This was like a caveat emptor. And Roizman was right. The copies were all over the place. That’s not a perfect process, either.

Friedkin's talking about firmware updates here, and it's not even plausible for individual copies of the Blu-ray to look different from each other. He doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

Freidkin is a loving liar. He knowingly did what he did to the first Blu-Ray. He was bragging in interviews when it came out that he could individually gently caress with each color and that he chose the look he did because he wanted it to look like a documentary.

- edit Here we go. Right from the moron's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJle3YwylM

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 28, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I already got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set and Seven Samurai in the B&N sale. The bastards just sent me an email reminding me that the sale is still on. I might pick up a couple more. What two would you folks recommend out of:

High and Low
M
Kagemusha
The Killing

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sporadic posted:

Freidkin is a loving liar. He knowingly did what he did to the first Blu-Ray. He was bragging in interviews when it came out that he could individually gently caress with each color and that he chose the look he did because he wanted it to look like a documentary.

- edit Here we go. Right from the moron's mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJle3YwylM

Yeah, Friedkin is full of poo poo. Adding fuel to the fire:

DVDTalk posted:

In a new HD featurette [on the old Bluray], Friedkin demonstrates his revisionist rationale. He wanted to mute the colors and retain a lot more grain, yet not lose the sharpness of Roizman's images. To that end he had his colorist create an element that oversaturated and de-focused the color. This smeary color image was very lightly superimposed over a B&W rendering of the film, resulting in a sharp, grainy movie with pastel colors. Because the colors are de-focused, they don't stay strictly "within the lines" of objects. Gene Hackman is as sharp as a tack, but his red Santa Claus suit bleeds softly all around him. Blacks clog up at night with almost a hi-con look. New York appears cold and inhospitable. It's an interesting effect that indeed achieves Friedkin's stated goal of creating a degraded color image. And he makes no bones about stating that it'll stay that way because that's the way he likes it!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Max22 posted:

Friedkin's talking about firmware updates here, and it's not even plausible for individual copies of the Blu-ray to look different from each other. He doesn't really know what he's talking about.

I don't think that's what he's saying though is it? He's maybe confused about the firmware issue and attributing that to the problems the film had, but he's ultimately saying that the master they made looked different to what was released.

There's also another interview where he says he looks like an idiot now after bragging about how great the blu-ray looked.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
If Olympic Backpedaling were a thing I think we'd be guaranteed a gold with Friedkin.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If Olympic Backpedaling were a thing I think we'd be guaranteed a gold with Friedkin.

It's a shame too because he's usually pretty open and honest in interviews but he can't seem to admit when he fucks up. He's a fascinating character though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
And Europe doesn't even get the non-lovely version of FC because it's region locked. :colbert:

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I already got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set and Seven Samurai in the B&N sale. The bastards just sent me an email reminding me that the sale is still on. I might pick up a couple more. What two would you folks recommend out of:

High and Low
M
Kagemusha
The Killing

Of the four High and Low is easily the best and then M.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
For those who already own a bunch of the Bond blu-rays and don't want to have to drop the cash on Bond 50 just for a few of the remaining titles you don't have, the list just got smaller. Wal-mart will be exclusively selling Diamonds Are Forever, GoldenEye, and Octopussy starting October 2. Chances are, this means the remaining 6 films will be exclusives at other retailers (probably divvying it up between Best Buy and Amazon) so as not to screw over those who started buying right from the get-go.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
They Live announcement...the most amazing loving news I've heard in a long time.

quote:

The truth is more than meets the eye. You’ve been listening to their speeches and watching them on TV. They influence our decisions without us knowing it. Think again and the choice is yours! On November 6, 2012, SCREAM FACTORY™ presents John Carpenter’s politically-charged science fiction thriller THEY LIVE Collector’s Edition Blu-ray and DVD. Featuring anamorphic widescreen presentation of this cult classic movie, this special collector’s edition home entertainment release of THEY LIVE boasts a bounty of special bonus content, a collectible cover featuring newly rendered retro-style artwork, a reversible wrap with original theatrical key art and much more! THEY LIVE Collector’s Edition Blu-ray has a suggested retail price of $29.93 and $16.50 for the DVD. Fans and collector’s can pre-order now at ShoutFactory.com and Amazon.com.
* Production now underway for extensive and insightful bonus features that include all-new interviews, an audio commentary and archival material. Shout! Factory will announce in-depth bonus features and additional news in next couple months.

Avid John Carpenter fans, movie enthusiasts and collectors please take note: Order this collector’s edition Blu-ray or DVD directly from ShoutFactory.com and receive an exclusive 18”x24” poster featuring the newly commissioned artwork! Less than 500 have been made, so these are only available while supplies last. Read more @: Shout! Factory - Scream Factory

Preordered the gently caress out of it for that poster :)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 31, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Here's hoping it has a great transfer and not some lovely smeary, DVNR'd to hell transfer we sometimes get with big studio films.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Nice, I've been meaning to watch that film for ages. Guess I'll wait for this release. How did The Thing look?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

They Live announcement...the most amazing loving news I've heard in a long time.

Preordered the gently caress out of it for that poster :)

I want this. I want this a lot.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
No shipping to the UK. :negative:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

VoodooXT posted:

Here's hoping it has a great transfer and not some lovely smeary, DVNR'd to hell transfer we sometimes get with big studio films.
Usually Shoutfactory is pretty good about using really good transfers and not using any post-processing on their releases. The only problem is it's because they can't afford any kind of cleaning up so flaws or degredation tend to remain. So in the end, it usually depends on what shape the source material is in, although it does sound like they are putting in a lot of effort into this release specifically.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I own very few blu-rays but I just pre-ordered They Live. Really hope there are some commentary tracks.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I'm shocked there isn't a "Bubble Gum: Collector's Edition" with included sunglasses.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

foodfight posted:

I own very few blu-rays but I just pre-ordered They Live. Really hope there are some commentary tracks.

From the press release, it sounds like they are going with the creation of a new one instead of licensing the old one.

I hope they get Keith David (in addition to John Carpenter and Rowdy Roddy Piper)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

$50 to get that up to Canada including shipping -- no thanks, i'll skip out on the poster but will buy that instore.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

$50 to get that up to Canada including shipping -- no thanks, i'll skip out on the poster but will buy that instore.
US to Canada shipping is almost always ridiculous. Buying from Amazon UK is a fraction of the cost as buying it from Amazon US.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Multiplesarcasm posted:

I'm shocked there isn't a "Bubble Gum: Collector's Edition" with included sunglasses.

It would be cool if they included side-by-side footage of South Park's cripple fight and its inspiration.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

kuddles posted:

US to Canada shipping is almost always ridiculous. Buying from Amazon UK is a fraction of the cost as buying it from Amazon US.

Does anyone know why this is? Sometimes shipping to the US from Amazon UK is actually cheaper than Amazon US.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

kuddles posted:

Usually Shoutfactory is pretty good about using really good transfers and not using any post-processing on their releases. The only problem is it's because they can't afford any kind of cleaning up so flaws or degredation tend to remain. So in the end, it usually depends on what shape the source material is in, although it does sound like they are putting in a lot of effort into this release specifically.

I was thinking they were just going to use an older master.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know why this is? Sometimes shipping to the US from Amazon UK is actually cheaper than Amazon US.

I have no idea what the cause is for Amazon, but my work has to ship stuff to Canada a lot and their postal service is a pain in our rear end.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

With They Live and their upcoming release of Halloween III, Scream Factory is now my favorite thing, ever.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Going back to the zodiac talk earlier, Amazon has the director's cut blu for $22 right now. Am I looking at the wrong item, or is this a good price for it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kingtheninja posted:

Going back to the zodiac talk earlier, Amazon has the director's cut blu for $22 right now. Am I looking at the wrong item, or is this a good price for it?

That's the European region-free copy (you can see the Euro rating right on the front in the picture). You can get the same one for $13.50 on amazon.uk. It's also much worse than the US one.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 1, 2012

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sorry to ask a pretty basic question, but I went back to page 200 and saw nothing. Have players basically dropped to commodity levels yet? I know when the format was relatively young and was still upgrading/tweaking the PS3 was an obvious best choice, but I'm shopping now and the OP hasn't been updated in a couple years. Players with the feature set I want can be found for a substantial discount compared to a PS3, and Cnet claims that loading times are very competitive as well. As long as compatibility isn't still a big-rear end issue, I don't see why I should pay extra for a console I don't need.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Yes, if you're not interested in the gaming side of PS3 or the additional media features, a modern Bluray player is just as wise a choice. You still might want to research a model you're interested in as some do still have issues with loading, wireless connections or quality of apps (if you care about that stuff), but overall the days of the PS3 being far and away the superior Bluray player are long over. That said, it still is probably the best one out there, at least in terms of software updates, especially if you use services like Netflix or Hulu.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 3, 2012

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I sort of assumed all of Scorsese's films had seen Blu-Ray releases, but I can't find Bringing out the Dead anywhere. Is there a Blu-Ray of it? Will there ever be?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

StickyNavels posted:

I sort of assumed all of Scorsese's films had seen Blu-Ray releases, but I can't find Bringing out the Dead anywhere. Is there a Blu-Ray of it? Will there ever be?

I'm not going to say never but Paramount has the rights in America and they loving suck with catalog releases.

There is an HD transfer (it's up on Amazon and, I think, iTunes)

StickyNavels
Apr 3, 2009
I see. Are they allergic to money or something?

Thank you! Unfortunately, it seems like both Amazon and iTunes' services are region-locked (I'm in Sweden). I'll see about sending Paramount a gift basket or something.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

October 23

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm so ambivalent!