Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sanschel posted:

Of course if they really wanted to make people smile, there's one Robocop character they could always do...

gotta have at least one extra head/hands of him pulling the grenade pin with his tongue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Nendroid Iron Man, too! :swoon:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I haven't bought into the MOTUC line at all, until now - I ordered a Horde Prime off of Amazon. I'm a little disappointed they didn't go the extra mile and paint in the additional detail on his arms, but so what? It's an amazing looking figure. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a Shadow Beast, and will plunk down whatever cash is necessary for a Ram Man and a Granamyr, but...

I thought about buying a sub, but $500 is just too much cash on pieces I just don't want. I am flabbergasted why I can't pay $25-30 now to reserve a figure that's released in six months.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Well I mean business wise i can see how it makes complete financial sense. The way I see it, popular characters will sell well and the lesser popular ones will not. They basically need to secure enough profit in order to justify the continuation of the line.

In a sense, if there are 10 figures in a subscription.. and 6 are characters that are expected to sell well.. those profits would be used to subsidize the rest of the line.

For whatever the reason, they felt a forced subscription was better (which I'm not saying I feel is a good way to treat customers) so they didn't have to do that. The problem was, they raised prices on a forced subscription already.. which sort of defeats the purpose.

It should be one or the other.

You either raise the price of each individual figure to subsidize the cost of the unpopular characters OR you do a subscription service ensuring X production run for the line. It's poo poo to do both.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Sanschel posted:

Of course if they really wanted to make people smile, there's one Robocop character they could always do...

No please, no. Don't do this to my wallet.

drat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I think an equally big problem is the Horsemen (or whoever is in charge of design). I know at least 4 people who would collect the line (myself included) but it's just so boring. Some of the figures are pretty cool, but innovation/redesign-wise it needed more Battle Cats and fewer Skeletors. I love Battle Cat's molded fur, pads on the bottom of his feet, the leather sculpt of the seat of the saddle, and weapon holders. It really nails the idea of improving on the original line.

Skeletor is...just kinda the same. And the parts re-use, my lord. I used to have a pretty big collection, but I realized how many pairs of plastic fur underwear I own and just lost my mind and sold most of them. I realize they really tickle a lot of MOTU fans, but the boring-ness also alienates a lot of people. I would think that a more innovative line would draw in new fans, and the die-hards would show up for anything MOTU.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I think an equally big problem is the Horsemen (or whoever is in charge of design). I know at least 4 people who would collect the line (myself included) but it's just so boring. Some of the figures are pretty cool, but innovation/redesign-wise it needed more Battle Cats and fewer Skeletors. I love Battle Cat's molded fur, pads on the bottom of his feet, the leather sculpt of the seat of the saddle, and weapon holders. It really nails the idea of improving on the original line.

Skeletor is...just kinda the same. And the parts re-use, my lord. I used to have a pretty big collection, but I realized how many pairs of plastic fur underwear I own and just lost my mind and sold most of them. I realize they really tickle a lot of MOTU fans, but the boring-ness also alienates a lot of people. I would think that a more innovative line would draw in new fans, and the die-hards would show up for anything MOTU.

This is exactly what killed the Ghostbusters line. You can only put the 4 guys in new suits so often and have people buy them. The die-hards will buy every figure without fail, but the casual collectors are going to buy one set and be done. ToyGuru and gang didn't seem to understand that using the same mold 40 times, while offering 3 unique characters in between somehow didn't make them money.

It also didn't help that their accessories were loving terrible. I think we got all of 5 unique on screen ghosts total in the whole line, while they cranked out 4 versions of Slimer, and poo poo like "Egon comes with 3 extra PKE meters" and multiple versions of the "No Ghost" logo? That was seriously an accessory, the loving Ghostbusters logo.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

boom boom boom posted:

Or they could release popular characters in stores and less popular characters in smaller batches at a slightly higher price online and/or in specialty shops. Other companies have figured this out.

I think you're overestimating the popularity of the line. If you asked ten random people in a comic shop what action figure line was their top two or three priorities I doubt you'd get any saying He Man.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Beasts are what really show what the line can create. The Griffin while it re-uses the battle cat body and Swiftwind's wings is still an accurate rendition of the MOTU griffins. However a large reason for the Parts re-use is that the original line did it alot, I think they only had 2-3 body types in total.

The thing I want most are new versions of the Bionatops and Tyrantasaurus, for nothing screams the 1980's more than dinosaurs with cyborg implants and guns that pop out. They packed in minicomics now with some figures that feature things that arn't toys yet and both were featured. The minicomics themselves arn't really that great though. The art is decent but the story goes nowhere and assumes you allready know the entirety of the established MOTU lore. The draw is mostly "THAT GUY WHO WAS THAT RANDOM OR CANCELED TOY THAT WAS NEVER FEATURED IN THE TV SERIES SHOWED UP".

It just baffles me how Mattel could never properly promote their own properties outside of Barbie. All of the different incarnations of MOTU died due to Mattel screwing something up on their end big time. And then the not wanting to have other forms of media centered around the line because it would be more expensive to produce for and release stuff in store is stupid.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 1, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vaerai Archon posted:

The Beasts are what really show what the line can create. The Griffin while it re-uses the battle cat body and Swiftwind's wings is still an accurate rendition of the MOTU griffins. However a large reason for the Parts re-use is that the original line did it alot, I think they only had 2-3 body types in total.

The thing I want most are new versions of the Bionatops and Tyrantasaurus, for nothing screams the 1980's more than dinosaurs with cyborg implants and guns that pop out. They packed in minicomics now with some figures that feature things that arn't toys yet and both were featured. The minicomics themselves arn't really that great though. The art is decent but the story goes nowhere and assumes you allready know the entirety of the established MOTU lore. The draw is mostly "THAT GUY WHO WAS THAT RANDOM OR CANCELED TOY THAT WAS NEVER FEATURED IN THE TV SERIES SHOWED UP".

It just baffles me how Mattel could never properly promote their own properties outside of Barbie. All of the different incarnations of MOTU died due to Mattel screwing something up on their end big time. And then the not wanting to have other forms of media centered around the line because it would be more expensive to produce for and release stuff in store is stupid.

I'm definitely going to go back and buy a few figures on Amazon that I've missed, but I really have no interest in the standard figures (Skeletor, He-Man), because, while they're well done, they're really just an update of what came out 25 years ago, and there's no feeling of "Ah! Got him!" there. Horde Prime is appealing, because it's such a great concept, and such a well done, unique figure. I'm going to get a Shadow Beast because it was a fairly regularly used hired goon-type character (in the show), and it's (again) a unique and interesting looking guy - and larger than other figures, to boot. And, I'll definitely drop $$$ on Granamyr, because goddamn.

That's just my approach, but then, people are climbing all over each other for great-looking unique guys like Prime, Ram Man, (I'd imagine) Mosquitor, and so on - but nobody gives a poo poo about a slight He-Man variant, Sy-Clone, or Mo-Larr.

Then again, when I was a kid, I never bought the constant Batman variant figures, and that's all I ever saw in toy stores, so maybe I'm in the minority. I was much more interested in hired goons (never did get a Horde Trooper, or a TMNT Foot Soldier - they always made so few of these, which confused me - you need a bunch!), colorful villains, and so on.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The concept figures are some of the best figures in the line, stuff like Horde Prime, Draego-Man, Castle Grayskullman, Cy-Chop, Demo-Man, Gygor, Shadow Beast, the upcoming Fighting Foe Men ... all awesome.

Also the really cool modern updates of characters like Fisto and Stinkor are great too.

It's a loving great line, but they don't like to change. It's the same way the 200x line died, they didn't get why cases of 8x He-Man, 8x, Skeletor, 1x Fisto didn't sell well so instead of rethink things they just ended it.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jet Ready Go posted:

I think you're overestimating the popularity of the line. If you asked ten random people in a comic shop what action figure line was their top two or three priorities I doubt you'd get any saying He Man.

Yeah. Also, kids never really engaged with the 200x line, probably because of the case assortments and poo poo loads of Spin/Smash blade He-man and Skelly variants. I know this line is aimed at adult collectors and masochists, though I think kids might actually like a line that had some action features, and were not just a re-jig of a previous figure.

e: beaten. What are the fighting Foe Men?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I think the He-Man line nowadays has been co-opted by Wrestling now in the hearts and minds of children. Scantily clad men fighting? Check. Generic-style toys? Check.

There is no reason for the two lines to co-exist without having cartoon/movie to back it up. I know there's a movie lined up for it though, so the line could potentially benefit from that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

It really needs to get broken down to the base elements. We collect kids toys, but we don't drive any line apart from the hyper expensive and realistic figurines. Mattel cannot seem to do anything to titillate kids apart from Barbie. Hasbro seems just as inept, from the TF thread.

As far as MOTU goes, its just us (not me, though) who will plop down $500 a year for bits of plastic that may/may not arrive/may be broken/may be assembled backwards. Just get this poo poo in stores, charge $10 or £7 in UK, case pack 2 of each, and do a new cartoon. I never understood shortpacking, its like setting up for the secondary market.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Trickjaw posted:

It really needs to get broken down to the base elements. We collect kids toys, but we don't drive any line apart from the hyper expensive and realistic figurines. Mattel cannot seem to do anything to titillate kids apart from Barbie. Hasbro seems just as inept, from the TF thread.

As far as MOTU goes, its just us (not me, though) who will plop down $500 a year for bits of plastic that may/may not arrive/may be broken/may be assembled backwards. Just get this poo poo in stores, charge $10 or £7 in UK, case pack 2 of each, and do a new cartoon. I never understood shortpacking, its like setting up for the secondary market.

I understand shortpacking, and can agree with it to an extent. For example.. shorting packing Alfred is probably a good idea. I can't imagine kids clamoring for Batman's Butler.

However, with a line like Transformers, where nearly every character can be cool regardless of screentime... then shortpacking a cyber ninja lamborghini or whatever is just stupid. There are just some toy lines that kids will gobble up and some that won't.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Trickjaw posted:

I never understood shortpacking, its like setting up for the secondary market.

Turbo Man's toy is a highly-sought after doll. Booster, on the other hand is not. Packing them in a case over a 3:1 ratio seems logical. This is the only way I could understand shortpacking.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
So, this is overall silly, but someone finally made a stop motion video using Hot Toys Batman characters. The story is horrible but due to the life like nature, it is interesting to watch if not a little creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nUxXL8txA

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Turbo Man's toy is a highly-sought after doll. Booster, on the other hand is not. Packing them in a case over a 3:1 ratio seems logical. This is the only way I could understand shortpacking.

The problem I have with MOTU and Hasbro TF lines is their toy distribution is built upon an outdated system of selling cases to brick and mortar stores.

For MOTU, it's forcing you to buy the whole drat line in one shot (like a store would normally have to when buying cases). It's so clear that the Voltron line was meant for toy stores going by the quality, but since the Voltron movie got canceled, they were left with this toy line no store was gonna stock. Club Lion Force sub to the rescue! :downs:

For TF, it's making low quality mass market toys for places like Wal-Mart that don't really appeal to collectors for the most part. Besides whatever flavor of the month figure might be popular, everything else clogs up the shelves that stores don't bother even ordering all the TF product that comes out since movie toys are still shelf warming. That's not even getting into how store staff can cherry pick goods before it even gets put out for sale.

TL;DR 3rd party companies for life yo, order what you want, get it

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Jet Ready Go posted:

I understand shortpacking, and can agree with it to an extent. For example.. shorting packing Alfred is probably a good idea. I can't imagine kids clamoring for Batman's Butler.

However, with a line like Transformers, where nearly every character can be cool regardless of screentime... then shortpacking a cyber ninja lamborghini or whatever is just stupid. There are just some toy lines that kids will gobble up and some that won't.

Some of the best characters have committed the sin of not being Bumblebee, or even more heinous, are dumb ol' girls.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Happened to be in a Toys R Us today returning something, took a look and saw the new Mass Effect 3 figures were out.

They, uh, aren't good. Like, they're aggressively bad. And they're $20 a pop.
I fuckin' love Garrus, but I ain't paying $20 for the figure of him that's out now. Like it kinda looks like him, sorta, I guess, but it still looks lovely.
The Miranda figure was ugly. When you make Miranda ugly, you know you've hosed up.

Even better, the TRU had put them on the pegs literally surrounded by a bunch of really kickass NECA stuff that was priced at $15 a pop.

NECA has seriously been killing it in the 7" figure department.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I did buy a Legion though. Despite his poo poo articulation he's actually a really good looking figure. But yeah, couldn't say the same about the others.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

So here's a potentially weird question, but you guys seem like the best bet to know something about this: I have the Kia Asamiya Batman (the standing and flinging a batarang one, not the going down stairs one) and Joker figures from a few years back and I'm looking to find a Robin figure that wouldn't look entirely out of place next to them both scale and stylewise. I'm leaning toward the DC Direct Arkham City Robin, but was wondering if anyone knew of any other recent figures that might work better. I just happened to stumble across the Damian/Robin Batman and Son 2-pack at the comic shop today so I figure there might be other lines that I haven't come across in my e-search.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Happened to be in a Toys R Us today returning something, took a look and saw the new Mass Effect 3 figures were out.

I fuckin' love Garrus, but I ain't paying $20 for the figure of him that's out now. Like it kinda looks like him, sorta, I guess, but it still looks lovely.
The Miranda figure was ugly. When you make Miranda ugly, you know you've hosed up.

Even better, the TRU had put them on the pegs literally surrounded by a bunch of really kickass NECA stuff that was priced at $15 a pop.

I felt the same way seeing that figure, so I ordered the Play Arts Kai version:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SEP10323&mode=retail

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Some of the best characters have committed the sin of not being Bumblebee, or even more heinous, are dumb ol' girls.

Yeah Bumblebee was just one of those things I never understood. I get that he had a lot of screentime but his personality was wiped clean slate. I don't understand why Bumblebee couldn't be the daring scout with an attitude similar to Corky McSparks that makes them get along better. Instead it's like Corky got along with a giant R2DS.

I think shortpacking should also take into account what shelf-warmers there would likely be. For example.. there was a glut of Thor/Hulk/Iron Man/Captain Americas prior to the release of the set that included Hawkeye.

The newer boxes came short-packed with Black Widows. She was in the movie. Skrulls were not. Let's shortpack Black Widow because she's a girl and shove characters that weren't in the movie down peoples throats. Result? My Toys R Us is WALL OF SKRULLS now that everyone is unwilling to buy. Who the gently caress is this purple guy? I don't know.

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 4, 2012

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So now that Hot Toys is beginning to reel me in with their awesome wares, and I'm actually in a position to afford an offering or two, where's the best place to pick them up? Sideshow? BBTS?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So now that Hot Toys is beginning to reel me in with their awesome wares, and I'm actually in a position to afford an offering or two, where's the best place to pick them up? Sideshow? BBTS?

Sideshow if you want to flex pay, BBTS if you don't. BBTS will generally be about $25 - $30 cheaper, but might be missing the Sideshow exclusive parts.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah Bumblebee was just one of those things I never understood. I get that he had a lot of screentime but his personality was wiped clean slate. I don't understand why Bumblebee couldn't be the daring scout with an attitude similar to Corky McSparks that makes them get along better. Instead it's like Corky got along with a giant R2DS.

Bumblebee is the best illustration (aside from all of us in this thread I suppose) that marketing to kids is ridiculously easy. Bumblebee didn't even do anything cool in the movie, they just made him the "face" of the brand (on all the merch), and kids went for it. I know we all love our childhood cartoons and toys and stuff, but I'm expecting my first kid in a few months and as I look back at my life I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been better if they hadn't lifted the ban on advertising to kids via cartoon shows.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Bumblebee is the best illustration (aside from all of us in this thread I suppose) that marketing to kids is ridiculously easy. Bumblebee didn't even do anything cool in the movie, they just made him the "face" of the brand (on all the merch), and kids went for it. I know we all love our childhood cartoons and toys and stuff, but I'm expecting my first kid in a few months and as I look back at my life I can't help but wonder if it wouldn't have been better if they hadn't lifted the ban on advertising to kids via cartoon shows.

Basically kids will take whatever is fed to them. I mean it was a bright eye-catching color and it was the second to main car in the movie. However I'm not sure the lack of characterization helped. I don't think you'll see kids grow up and go "I wanna be like Bumblebee when I grow up!" the same we might have with like Leonardo or whatever from the Ninja Turtles.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Bullshit, all the kids knew that Michelangelo was the best one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bullshit, all the kids knew that Raphael was the best one.

This will not end in agreement.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Bullshit, all the kids knew that Michelangelo was the best one.

Anyone who didn't like Leonardo the best is a racist and also a Holocaust denying Nazi apologist :colbert:.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Agrias120 posted:

Anyone who didn't like Leonardo the best is a racist and also a Holocaust denying Nazi apologist :colbert:.
Anyone who didn't like Raphael the best is literally the Holocaust. :colbert:

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Raphael was cool but rude, which obviously made him the goon, and therefore best turtle. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Rage posted:

Raphael was cool but rude, which obviously made him the goon, and therefore best turtle. :colbert:

Oh give me a break.

;)

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

If ANY character in TMNT was a goon it would be Krang.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jet Ready Go posted:

If ANY character in TMNT was a goon it would be Krang.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, Jackie Gleason and Art Carney made of trash is pretty goony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Wasn't there a fat kung-fu panda in TMNT lore? That would be the ADTRW goons for sure :neckbeard: