Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

The amount of effort put into a character that so, so obviously does not deserve ti is amazing.
I find this believable, in the sense I find it believable the Paragon PD just does not give a gently caress anymore. "What? First Japanese American to have a job here? Eh, sure lady. Don't forget your crazy pills when not stopping purse snatchers... On second thought, leave them here and patrol back alleys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

now that the hype has probably died down a bit is water blast worth my hard earned (read: self control not spending them on costume parts) points?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

now that the hype has probably died down a bit is water blast worth my hard earned (read: self control not spending them on costume parts) points?

I love it. It's so AoEy and fun.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

If you like blast sets, it's a solid one. If you don't like blasts, well.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It's on par with Ice/Fire, with some tradeoffs involved: It loses ST damage in exchange for some nice utility and a lot of AOE damage.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Plus, it just loving looks cool. The animations are mostly unique to the set, and now that a whole team isn't guaranteed to be all Water-Based, you can stand out from the rest of the crowd firing off their PewPews while you're hurling a giant globule at some Hellions head.
Although I'd *highly* recommend you color it. It's annoying as gently caress to sit there and have three water guys on the team, and everyone went with the default color so you're all sitting there going "Which Whirpool is mine? The one slightly to the left, or the right? oh, nvm, they're all dead"

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I really like the animations on Water Blast. Especially for the T9 where you slam your fist into the ground before an eruption of water consumes everything in sight :black101:

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Do any Defenders or Corruptors (Or anyone else but Blasters) get Water Blast? Because gently caress Blasters.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Yes defenders and corruptors get water blast and yes water blast is still worth it after the hype.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Thanks. I'll probably pick it up whenever I eventually come back again. Gotta get my mech parts too. Hopefully some of the other sets on the horizon don't take too long either.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

I like it. Single-target damage isn't the greatest, but it has four strong AoEs including a non-crashing nuke, a heal, a bit of -def, and decent soft control in the form of knockdown. I suspect Whirlpool will be hilarious with the new knockdown proc added.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My only issue with Water Blast is that it feels slow to recharge. My observations are from low-level play, though.

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!

Bieeardo posted:

My only issue with Water Blast is that it feels slow to recharge. My observations are from low-level play, though.

Low-level play in CoH is pretty much universally horrendous though so it's a bad measurement for sets~

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I got it with my freebie points but have yet to use it. Two casual gamer pals I've known like forever love Water blast, and they didn't even realize some of the broken.

Example, Water Blast's equivalent to Blaze, Water Jet? It's a combo builder for if you have less than a full stack, AND a combo finisher for once you have a full stack :psyduck: I guess Street Justice's combo system made up of clear cut builders and finishers was just too haaaaard for people to wrap their minds around.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Section Z posted:

I got it with my freebie points but have yet to use it. Two casual gamer pals I've known like forever love Water blast, and they didn't even realize some of the broken.

Example, Water Blast's equivalent to Blaze, Water Jet? It's a combo builder for if you have less than a full stack, AND a combo finisher for once you have a full stack :psyduck: I guess Street Justice's combo system made up of clear cut builders and finishers was just too haaaaard for people to wrap their minds around.

Dehydrate (the damage + HoT) is also a combo builder if you have less than 3 combo points and a finisher if you have a full stack.

WB is great, I love it so much.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Why complain about it though? I mean, nobody ever wants the level 1-2 combo bonuses in SJ if they can help it, so they just refined the design with Staff and Water Blast only consuming at max stacks, rather than adding silly level 1-2 bonuses.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oni Elem posted:

Why complain about it though? I mean, nobody ever wants the level 1-2 combo bonuses in SJ if they can help it, so they just refined the design with Staff and Water Blast only consuming at max stacks, rather than adding silly level 1-2 bonuses.
Oh, that's not worth REAL complaints admittedly. Although giving Water Blast a Crashless nuke is.

Yes, I know. They are apparently removing the nuke crashes from the other sets someday (they will probably just Nerf AR more in the process). But still, goodbye signature feature of Weapon powers beyond redraw, while the other non-weapon nukes still deal with crashes.

Speaking of Nukes, silly question. Does Ice blast's Blizzard Nuke cancel itself if you die? I'm kinda paranoid considering it's some kind of DoT area entity instead of a straight explosion.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Section Z posted:

Oh, that's not worth REAL complaints admittedly. Although giving Water Blast a Crashless nuke is.

no it isn't

quote:

Yes, I know. They are apparently removing the nuke crashes from the other sets someday (they will probably just Nerf AR more in the process). But still, goodbye signature feature of Weapon powers beyond redraw, while the other non-weapon nukes still deal with crashes.

welcome to being in the same boat as melee weapons ya big baby

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Section Z posted:

Speaking of Nukes, silly question. Does Ice blast's Blizzard Nuke cancel itself if you die? I'm kinda paranoid considering it's some kind of DoT area entity instead of a straight explosion.

Complaining about the removal of crashes from nukes is just as silly, because that and the cooldown reduction make them actual viable power picks outside of being a set mule, and they are getting a corresponding damage reduction.

It honestly sounds to me like you're just finding stuff to complain about just for the sake of complaining, nobody in their right mind objects to these changes, and you're definitely making a mountain out of a molehill in terms of redraw, as mini said, quite a few melee sets have to deal with it, and get by just fine.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
I don't get why they didn't just make nukes unable to slot recharge and unaffected by global recharge but without their crash. Make them into "ultimate powah but only once in a while". Like Judgement. Crashes on melee is fine because their T9 lasts a while. Nukes only last a couple of seconds at the most, at the cost of you being useless for a few seconds.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

yeah i pretty much never take things that crash, but play a bunch of poo poo that has redraw, sometimes retarded amounts (hi time/pistols)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

AR is going to come out in a very good spot with the snipe change, so it's kind of a red herring to complain about it losing something distinct.

Section Z posted:

Yes, but you're a good deal less likely to die because it has a -20% tohit debuff and a huge knockdown chance.

Also if you jackhammer a blue in your inspiration tray, you'll often be able to make it trigger before some of your toggles check their end cost for shutoff.

Honestly Blizzard's the only nuke I don't think they need to remove the crash on, a 500 base damage debuffing knockdown death zone that you can fire around a corner might be the only thing worth dropping my toggles and waiting a few minutes for.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

AR is going to come out in a very good spot with the snipe change, so it's kind of a red herring to complain about it losing something distinct.

Yes, but you're a good deal less likely to die because it has a -20% tohit debuff and a huge knockdown chance.

Also if you jackhammer a blue in your inspiration tray, you'll often be able to make it trigger before some of your toggles check their end cost for shutoff.

Honestly Blizzard's the only nuke I don't think they need to remove the crash on, a 500 base damage debuffing knockdown death zone that you can fire around a corner might be the only thing worth dropping my toggles and waiting a few minutes for.

They are also adjusting the other values on said nukes, so they might not be quite as destructive as they are now.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Double Blizzard and Ice Storms going all at once is my favorite variety of overkill, especially with Burnout. That, and double gang war.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not sad crashes are going away from nukes, so much as sad only ONE non weapon power gets a crash free nuke right now. Overhaul the whole thing now or don't cocktease the other non weapon blasters at the same time as mocking the weapon ones.

minimalist posted:

welcome to being in the same boat as melee weapons ya big baby
What is this even supposed to MEAN? Does Electrical Melee's Lightning Rod have an endurance crash and I just never noticed it?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Section Z posted:

I'm not sad crashes are going away from nukes, so much as sad only ONE non weapon power gets a crash free nuke right now. Overhaul the whole thing now or don't cocktease the other non weapon blasters at the same time as mocking the weapon ones.

What is this even supposed to MEAN? <...>

They are overhauling the whole thing now, what do you think we've been talking about for, what, two thirds of the thread? i24 is not that long away, go build a house of cards or something if the situation is that untenable for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if Water Blast's crashless, weaker nuke was a deliberate test to see how the playerbase would react to something like that as opposed to a big swinging dick of a nuke that immediately makes you flaccid. As it turns out, they like it, because it's not stupid!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Section Z posted:

What is this even supposed to MEAN? Does Electrical Melee's Lightning Rod have an endurance crash and I just never noticed it?
It means they don't tend to take redraw into consideration much at all for melee weapons, there is no special weapon-only gimmick on melee, it's just similar skill quality with redraw. If you get hosed by that because you wanted Gloom but its DPA is ruined by redraw then welp.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 5, 2012

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Patware posted:

They are overhauling the whole thing now, what do you think we've been talking about for, what, two thirds of the thread? i24 is not that long away, go build a house of cards or something if the situation is that untenable for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if Water Blast's crashless, weaker nuke was a deliberate test to see how the playerbase would react to something like that as opposed to a big swinging dick of a nuke that immediately makes you flaccid. As it turns out, they like it, because it's not stupid!

the fortunata version of psychic wail is crashless as well, and has been since the beginning.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

the fortunata version of psychic wail is crashless as well, and has been since the beginning.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they're lowering the recharge on that when they make the changes to blaster nukes. Also crab spider's omega maneuver and the kheldian nukes.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fortunata kind of needs a buff damage-wise, really. There's barely any point in taking any of the psi attacks except Dominate even if you pick Fort because Lunge and Strike just do amazingly better damage.

Psychic Wail isn't that good anyway, the Fort version is about as good as the Defender version and doesn't do much more damage than a Corruptor's Ice Storm.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 5, 2012

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

So, turns out I'm an idiot and was looking in all the wrong places.

Here's a listing of poo poo I found. Some really awesome stuff in there.

This link is broken now, sadly. Did you happen to have the information saved somewhere else?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I currently have a Level 23 TA/A Defender. Would I be better off remaking it as a A/TA Corruptor?

Also, this happened last night during an ITF, when I asked if we were going up the back to rescue Roman Sister Psycho:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I am generally of the opinion that a defender is better than a corrupter for a Trick Arrow/Archery. You'll have better numbers on your debuffs, and Rain of Arrows isn't great on a corruptor anyways.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Was doing some attack chain comparisons between Claws and TW to help me determine what I wanted to do when bio dropped.

TW and Claws are pretty neck and neck ST DPS wise if you never use Build Momentum. :P This isn't factoring in the Toxic Proc though, which will favor TW by quite a bit due to it's attacks log recharge times. Once you throw BM in the mix, and the toxic proc, it starts pulling away. This is all on a scrapper. This DPS difference won't be that noticeable, and with the KD proc in shockwave, I think claws will have better AOE.

Here is something I think I would do if I made a claws/bio:

http://www.cohplanner.com/mids/down...302FF00E7BCF7B1

Ugh, I would pay SO HARD for them to let me change a characters Primary or Secondary. I want to re-roll my first 50 from Claws/Regen to Claws/Bio....but...it's not the same.

edit: Wheee WHEEE WEEEEEEEEEE

Tommy 2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 6, 2012

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mind over Matter posted:

I am generally of the opinion that a defender is better than a corrupter for a Trick Arrow/Archery. You'll have better numbers on your debuffs, and Rain of Arrows isn't great on a corruptor anyways.

I've been down this road before, but IMHO Defenders beat Corruptors in just about any situation. The numbers on the heal/buff/debuffs are much better, and when soloed or on a small team damage is roughly equal, taking both Scourge and Vigilance into account. On a big team, buffs are much more valuable than damage.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I feel it's generally case by case, largely depending on which buff/debuff set you're taking. Since as we've discussed in the past, some have better numbers on defenders and others are largely the same. I recently made a kin defender and while they're great fun, I should have made a corruptor instead because kin is pretty much the same across ATs. If the buffs are the same, might as well take scourge and a higher damage cap, is how I see it. I get where you're coming from, though.

Regardless of all that, I was answering specifically for the case of Trick Arrow and Archery, where being a Corruptor generally just makes you all-around worse.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Gynovore posted:

I've been down this road before, but IMHO Defenders beat Corruptors in just about any situation. The numbers on the heal/buff/debuffs are much better, and when soloed or on a small team damage is roughly equal, taking both Scourge and Vigilance into account. On a big team, buffs are much more valuable than damage.
It depends a bit on what you're doing. Cold and Kinetics are negligibly different in terms of numbers, Dark is identical for damage purposes and irrelevantly different on anything else, to the point that you may as well just take the free damage unless you're rolling with a debuff-oriented blast set like Sonic.

TA/A is probably better in this case though, Acid Arrow and Disruption Arrow lose so much effectiveness in the Corruptor versions that it'll offset any base damage gain.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Ugh, I would pay SO HARD for them to let me change a characters Primary or Secondary. I want to re-roll my first 50 from Claws/Regen to Claws/Bio....but...it's not the same.

edit: Wheee WHEEE WEEEEEEEEEE

do what I do, transfer and remake with the same name

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Unless I specifically want scourge, I always go with a defender. Makes the leadership pool even more fun. I've done some solo missions with my traps defender and the inherent damage buff + assault makes it not so painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I don't normally mind pubbies and their ideas much, but I just had one telling me that beast mastery is fine because they can solo and street hunt at -1. I have not had so much helpless nerdrage in quite some time.

• Locked thread