Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

swampnutz posted:

Feeling like I'm at a decision point with my '97 e36 M3. I've got a moderate amount of effort & money into it and quite a bit of irrational sentimentality. It looks and drives great but is showing the effects of driving it year round in Chicago for the last 12 years. Basically the struts are rusting out (easy to replace) but also the diff case and subframe are pretty rusty looking. Do I fix it up or "sell it on" as Mike Brewer would say.

Here's pics of the subframe. Never tried removing the diff and exhaust, much less the subframe. I have this idea I'll find a rust-free one on ebay, install the right M3 bushings, and bolt the subframe back in.

Questions:
How best to stop the rust progression on the diff case?

And check out that exhaust coupling pic - how do I get that off? (want to bolt in an IE or maybe Stromung muffler/pipes as an upgrade while at it)

I wouldn't worry about the rust. You'll never be able to fight the heavy rust the parts on the bottom get in such climates, and it doesn't necessarily hurt that they're looking like that. All cars look like that after a certain amount of years in car-unfriendly climates, yet they can keep on trucking.

I would keep my hands off the exhaust, stuff will just break, but if you really want, there's no other way around it than brute force, and maybe some heat along with it. The bolts will snap, and you'll be looking at some hard work getting it off and back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Dantu posted:

4-door M3s are the best M3s.

Yeah, and hellrot on black sedans are pretty drat rare according to the production data I've found. Not as rare as hellrot on modena or estoril on black, but still less than ~100 made for NA.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

I could also buy something completely ridiculous with that money: http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_5912071_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

As badass as that E36 M3 looks, I vote for the M5 wagon that everybody seems to have skipped at the bottom of your post.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

I'm on the verge of doing something either totally awesome, or completely retarded. I was looking at this 97 hellrot m3 sedan:

220000km, but the maintenance history the past couple years is pretty drat good. No rust, good paint, and even the seat bolsters appear to be in good condition. Only real mods to speak of are KW V2 coilovers, and SS brakelines.

The kicker? 15k canadian, and probably can't get him any lower. One the one hand, rustfree e36 m3s are all but nonexistant where I live (Nova scotia) and it has decent history. On the other hand, it's a pretty steep price for the mileage. I'd essentially have an m3 with close to 250,000km in a couple years.

I could also buy something completely ridiculous with that money: http://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/BMW/M/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_5912071_/?showcpo=ShowCPO

Oh god buy that loving wagon!!!! :swoon:

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
For those who haven't seen it yet, Das Volk tooks some really cool BMW photos at a gallery in London.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Has anyone tried out these yet: http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/453 ? Lemfoerders from Pelican are about $80 cheaper, but if they last twice as long, it'd be worth it. It seems like the same sort of solution Meyle HD's offer for the e46, and I know people swear by those.

Also that M5 wagon is amazing. You should get that one.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The m5 wagon is ridiculously awesome but its just not what I'm looking for. Had an e34 and sold it within a month, too heavy, nowhere near as fun as even my 328. I plan to track/slalom my next summer car and I really want something that won't bankrupt me. I'm pretty familiar with the good and bad of the e36 and how much it is to maintain.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
Non-sequitur public service announcement: If you're considering buying an E53 and you can afford it, you DEFINITELY should. Best car I've ever owned.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Deceptor101 posted:

Has anyone tried out these yet: http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/453 ? Lemfoerders from Pelican are about $80 cheaper, but if they last twice as long, it'd be worth it. It seems like the same sort of solution Meyle HD's offer for the e46, and I know people swear by those.
gently caress the stock type bushings completely. I replaced mine with Powerflex ones and the difference is amazing.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Lowclock posted:

gently caress the stock type bushings completely. I replaced mine with Powerflex ones and the difference is amazing.

I like the idea of ones that last longer, but I want to retain the comfortable ride. I've heard that powerflex/poly bushings will harshen it up a bit/ a lot. I commute in this car, and will never track it, so maybe the solid rubbers are better?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I was worried about that at first too, but I don't notice any extra NVH. If anything it seems to make the suspension more compliant because the bushing can freely pivot around the sleeve with the PU bushings while the stock rubber ones are binding up at anything except ride height.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there any point to replacing the FCA when replacing FCA bushings?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I know if you aren't going with Poly, you just replace the whole arm, since it's easier than pressing in the bushing. That being said, the arm gets you a new ball joint as well. It's really the bushing that goes right, not so much the ball joint? I have heard *internet whispers* about Poly wearing worse and deforming. How long ago did you put your powerflexes on Lowclock? Also, I'm reading things about them not quite fitting and hitting the swaybar with all the washers installed. Were these guys just idiots?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I think the deforming thing was the reason they switched to the harder black PU for the thrust arms. 8 months in hot rear end Arizona and mine seem fine. I'll try taking them off and checking them when it cools off around here. Externally they look the same as when I installed them and they still feel nice and tight.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

Non-sequitur public service announcement: If you're considering buying an E53 and you can afford it, you DEFINITELY should. Best car I've ever owned.

I really want to find one with a manual. I think they made about 10 of them...

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Can someone please tell BMW that their 6-series grancoupe is, in fact, a sedan.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just snagged those zhp wheels with the bad chrome. $150 and they are OEM. I'm gonna try aircraft remover tomorrow and see if it can cut the chrome.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 5, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3182446166.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3143530721.html
Same add, just more photos.

The dude keeps dropping his price. It was originally 1500 now its down to 800. I bet 500 cash would take it.

Here is what I see wrong with it.
-Bet the miss firing is just needing a full tune up. Possibly a rubber gasket or something stupid that needs replaced to fix the miss fire condition. Its an M30, a pretty drat bullet proof engine.

-Needs a rear bumper. I have been searching and I did find a full set of M5 front and rear bumpers and side skirt for around 500 bucks.

-Interior needs replaced. I might be able to recover the seats for less than the cost of new seats.

-Looks like a few trim pieces.

-Maybe a full respray.

Otherwise, this would be a drat bad rear end DD. The only thing that would make this car better is a 5 speed. But the ZF4HP22 is a pretty tough tranny.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

revmoo posted:

Just snagged those zhp wheels with the bad chrome. $150 and they are OEM. I'm gonna try aircraft remover tomorrow and see if it can cut the chrome.

Why people like chrome wheels on BMWs I will never understand, especially crappy chrome jobs that look like poo poo after a couple years.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think it's OEM.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Deceptor101 posted:

I know if you aren't going with Poly, you just replace the whole arm, since it's easier than pressing in the bushing. That being said, the arm gets you a new ball joint as well. It's really the bushing that goes right, not so much the ball joint? I have heard *internet whispers* about Poly wearing worse and deforming. How long ago did you put your powerflexes on Lowclock? Also, I'm reading things about them not quite fitting and hitting the swaybar with all the washers installed. Were these guys just idiots?

I've had the powerflex FCAB's in since 2008 and they were still perfect last I checked. They have seen about 6 track days too.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I've had the powerflex FCAB's in since 2008 and they were still perfect last I checked. They have seen about 6 track days too.

That's a pretty solid piece of evidence for them. When you installed them, did you just re-use the old ball joints? Also (I asked this of Lowclock too) but did you find any increased vibration when you installed them? I commute a lot in my car and I was pretty unhappy with my e46 when I put too stiff of springs/shocks/struts on it, so I'm just trying to avoid that.

It looks like the bushings for the 540i are 501B. If I don't need to replace the ball joint (any inspection past verifying the rubber boot isn't damaged?) It's certainly a cheaper option too.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 5, 2012

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

revmoo posted:

I think it's OEM.

I've never heard of a factory chrome Style 135. I'm pretty sure they were all matte alloys.

Also, you're missing the ///M sticker badge that goes in the little square part near the center cap- typically, they don't come off unless they're deliberately removed for refinishing. If I were you, and I had the cash, I'd just have them completely refurbished and powdercoated. The convex lip and spokes are just brutal for accumulating curb rash anyway, so you might as well take care of that and the gaudy chrome all at once.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

an oddly awful oud posted:

I've never heard of a factory chrome Style 135. I'm pretty sure they were all matte alloys.

I bought my '05 ZHP and it came with factory chrome 135s, with the ///M badge removed. They're out there. I assume the badging isnt present because they wont adhere to the chrome.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It's almost like they're trying to look like reps.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Also, you're missing the ///M sticker badge that goes in the little square part near the center cap- typically, they don't come off unless they're deliberately removed for refinishing. If I were you, and I had the cash, I'd just have them completely refurbished and powdercoated. The convex lip and spokes are just brutal for accumulating curb rash anyway, so you might as well take care of that and the gaudy chrome all at once.

They're off because the rims are trashed. A couple still have them. I'll replace them.

In other news I might buy a second E36 today.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seriously, gently caress the convex on the 135s. With the factory tire sizes it was so easy to curb them on my zhp. I never got them refinished for that very reason.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Yup, totally scraped mine a couple times, luckily not too badly, but it is the first point of contact instead of the tire :mad:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Deceptor101 posted:

That's a pretty solid piece of evidence for them. When you installed them, did you just re-use the old ball joints? Also (I asked this of Lowclock too) but did you find any increased vibration when you installed them? I commute a lot in my car and I was pretty unhappy with my e46 when I put too stiff of springs/shocks/struts on it, so I'm just trying to avoid that.

It looks like the bushings for the 540i are 501B. If I don't need to replace the ball joint (any inspection past verifying the rubber boot isn't damaged?) It's certainly a cheaper option too.

They were installed in conjunction with new Meyle HD Control Arms and a bunch of other poo poo like new Bilstein/H&R sports, adjustable end links, HD trailing arm bushings, shock reinforcement plates and then later some Hotchkiss sways and other stuff I can't remember - So I can't comment on what just the new bushings would do. I'd guess there will be an increase in road feel for sure.

I'd say just buy the pre-pressed Powerflex fcab's and give it a shot. If they are too harsh, sell them and get the Meyle HD's.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Two and half hours in to installing the LED angel eye H8 replacements. If you HATE your fingers this is really a lot of fun. By pure luck I got one of them in. The other one, can't even get it to fit with the gasket off. My finger are so cut and scratched I'm seriously not going to be able to try too many more times.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Chinatown posted:

I bought my '05 ZHP and it came with factory chrome 135s, with the ///M badge removed. They're out there. I assume the badging isnt present because they wont adhere to the chrome.

I've never heard or seen that, but I suppose it's possible. God, chrome wheels are so horrible looking on modern cars. Even the Corvette ZR1 looks like poo poo.

Crustashio posted:

Seriously, gently caress the convex on the 135s. With the factory tire sizes it was so easy to curb them on my zhp. I never got them refinished for that very reason.

I bought a used set to replace the lovely repros on mine and I'm personally not going to bother refurbing them, even though one of them needs a rim straightened, for that very reason. The rash isn't too bad and I've gotten in the habit of parallel parking 15 miles from the curb to avoid making it worse, but I know that as soon as I spend $300 on making them look good, I'll slip up and scrape. Chromed ones would be a different story though, I would never be able to live with it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I've never heard or seen that, but I suppose it's possible. God, chrome wheels are so horrible looking on modern cars. Even the Corvette ZR1 looks like poo poo.

Yeah, bought it from a BMW dealership and it was bone stock. I have them plastidipped right now and I personally really like the wheels but I would like to eventually have the chrome blasted off and have them powdercoated if thats possible.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

On about my 60th try I got it to seat properly. Hooked everything back up and...they work! However, my car told me the DSC/AWD has malfunctioned and I should take it to the dealer asap :toot:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Started with this:

Added 2 hours and this (had already whiped up most of the blood when I took these):

Finished with this:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 5, 2012

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the picture of your gross hands. What the gently caress.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Wow. Beautiful stuff man. Finger damage was worth it imo

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok so aircraft remover just polishes chrome it doesn't remove it.

I'm gonna try scuffing these wheels and shooting them and seeing what it looks like.

Oh also the can says not for use on aircraft.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That is complete horseshit it doesn't work on aircraft. Now what am I supposed to use on my 737? :colbert:

I found that my front rim is a little bent. Has any one had any luck getting that fixed? Its either that or just buy a set of M5 rims.

Oh and I don't care what any one says... M parallels on E39s are about the sexiest rim/car combination out there. Especially black M5's.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 5, 2012

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I found that my front rim is a little bent. Has any one had any luck getting that fixed? Its either that or just buy a set of M5 rims.

It is perfectly doable but you need to find a reputable refurbisher and it will cost you upwards of $100 per wheel just for the straightening- usually more if the rim is really hosed up. You have to consider the rarity of your wheels and the difficulty/cost of simply finding a replacement (or replacement set).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

revmoo posted:

Ok so aircraft remover just polishes chrome it doesn't remove it.

I'm gonna try scuffing these wheels and shooting them and seeing what it looks like.

Oh also the can says not for use on aircraft.

Of course you cant, it would remove it!