Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

rolleyes posted:

Thanks for the heads up on bluetrack.

Regarding mouse pads/surfaces, since I don't game I'm not bothered about pixel perfect tracking, just that tracking is consistent which the laser in my now deceased mouse was perfect at providing. What I do have is two big monitors (I do some video editing) and for that reason (lots of small controls/widgets in video editing software) I like to have a large free space I can move the mouse over and have the sensitivity set quite low. I find that mouse pads just piss me off as I end up exceeding the boundaries of even the oversize ones.

Have you looked at the steelseries QCK+? It's really big (and quite cheap), I'm having a hard time imagining anyone going over the edge unless your sensitivity is insanely low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Trisk posted:

Have you looked at the steelseries QCK+? It's really big (and quite cheap), I'm having a hard time imagining anyone going over the edge unless your sensitivity is insanely low.

Honestly, I appreciate the suggestions but I'm perfectly fine without a mouse mat. I know that laser mice will work on the surface and don't mind paying the price premium which comes with them, especially as that effectively gets me a mouse mat the size of my desk.

I'm just trying to find a mouse with roughly the ergonomic characteristics I originally mentioned, preferably with a laser (or something of similar accuracy/versatility) in it.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

rolleyes posted:

Honestly, I appreciate the suggestions but I'm perfectly fine without a mouse mat. I know that laser mice will work on the surface and don't mind paying the price premium which comes with them, especially as that effectively gets me a mouse mat the size of my desk.

I'm just trying to find a mouse with roughly the ergonomic characteristics I originally mentioned, preferably with a laser (or something of similar accuracy/versatility) in it.

You could try looking at Logitech's G1/G3/G100 series, they have basic two-button setups with a third button which is pretty hard to notice, and has a similar form factor -- it's not huge and bulky, at least. The real problem with the line is that they don't sell it except in Asia, so getting one pretty much requires importing one in from Korea or somewhere. That said, I replaced my aging MX300 (which pretty much is unobtainable at this point in time) with a G1 and it works splendidly, only costing me $20 or so.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
My MX1100 is starting to break down on me. I have keyboard shortcuts tied to the scroll wheel left and right clicks. Now, when I try to use them, the mouse will scroll one line down and then back up right away, either missing the click completely or putting the targeted action in the wrong spot. Can I fix it? Would it be worth it? Or am I looking at finding a new mouse to replace it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Its shape basically requires the goofy claw grip but that just boils down to preference and everybody has different hands. But I have a gen 1 and the laser is the biggest piece of poo poo in the world. Dust and even a single hair will cause it to go goofy, and the thing axis locks all the time requiring you to pick up the mouse to reset it so it will track x and y.

As for the corsair mouse, my time is worth more than nagging over and over to get a shipping label.

Hmmm, I claw grip so that sounds pretty good. The laser not so much. Anyone know if it was fixed in the newer generations?

I wish I'd had that realisation with Corsair, it would have saved me a lot of hassle.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

MeruFM posted:

Mionix Naos 5000
Large width mouse with small palm curvature. Should be considered half finger-tip grip I think
+ all hard rubber
+/- 30 different LED colors to blind you in the night
+ Ring finger and pinky rests are nice.
- Good curvature on the sides but small palm curve makes larger hands uncomfortable.
- Needed a firmware upgrade before it could even work with the drivers
+ Good mouse options in software.
- Really expensive

I just wanted to chime in about its little brother, the Naos 3200. Lower max dpi, less adjustable, less money. The software has a terrible interface and is and pretty limited. For example, you can't assign mouse clicks to any of the buttons if you're making a macro (only keyboard keys). But hey, depending on how picky you are you might never use it. That said, it's one solid mouse.

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^
So here's an odd request:

Does anyone know of a corded laser mouse where the optics are near the top end of the mouse instead of the middle? I have a portable wireless Logitech that has the optical sensor up at the top under the buttons, and this is a good feature because I don't have to move the mouse as much to move the cursor. Unfortunately every other mouse I've ever seen has the optics right in the center, which doesn't make much sense to me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PlayStationGayStation posted:

So here's an odd request:

Does anyone know of a corded laser mouse where the optics are near the top end of the mouse instead of the middle? I have a portable wireless Logitech that has the optical sensor up at the top under the buttons, and this is a good feature because I don't have to move the mouse as much to move the cursor. Unfortunately every other mouse I've ever seen has the optics right in the center, which doesn't make much sense to me.
G500.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Best mouse ever, really.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Mine has just developed the dreaded double-click bug :/ I can do work and browse the internet pretty well without the left-click, but it means I can't play anything but shooters until I get it replaced.

PlayStationGayStation
Jan 23, 2004

^________^

Perfect! I wish more mice would come like this, everything just feels a lot more responsive.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Just bought a G300 for $10 but I'm wondering if there's a mouse with 2-3 thumb buttons that doesn't come with half a dozen leds or a multi coloured rainbow?

Logitech G400!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've been using a G9 for four years. Need another mouse, so I can have one for my desktop, one for laptop. The G9's getting a bit crusty. and the weight tray no longer works (a piece popped out and now it rattles if the tray's in). I was considering a G500, but went with a G9x since the G9's comfortable with my long fingers. Relegating the aging G9 to travel/laptop duty.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I got a G500 as a gift about a year ago and the cord crapped out on me. I was a pretty big fan of it in general and need to replace the 5 dollar mouse i got at Walmart. I have some reservations -

The cord failure seemed to be caused by the braiding on the outside of the cord - some of the cord slipped out of the braiding and started to kink, and once that happened the mouse got less and less reliable.

Also i'm a huge spaz and would have liked a few more programmable buttons.

I'm pretty much permanently travelling, so durability is at a premium. Just get another G500 or is there something that's a fairly clear upgrade?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'm pretty much permanently travelling, so durability is at a premium. Just get another G500 or is there something that's a fairly clear upgrade?
My understanding is that the G500, G9x are the flagship mice from logitech. G500 for palm grip, G9x for claw. I've heard good things about the Razer Deathadder; worth looking into since some like it better than either Logitech mouse.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
As long as its covered under warranty, Logitech tends to be super swell about giving you replacements. Out of warranty, it varies but I've gotten a coupon for half-off a G400 after my old MX-518 died.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Any recommendation on mouse-pads (as opposed to NO MOUSEPAD, since I have a glass ikea desk)?

I have a RAT7 and am using a lovely cloth pad at the moment but would like something better.

I have heard good things about the Steelseries pads (eying the QCK HEAVY right now), but any input would be appreciated.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I'm using a QCK Mini draped over one of these with the lovely surface and shittier adhesive residue removed. Works and feels great for my Sidewinder X8 and ergonomically despicable desk setup.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Bonobos posted:

Any recommendation on mouse-pads (as opposed to NO MOUSEPAD, since I have a glass ikea desk)?

I have a RAT7 and am using a lovely cloth pad at the moment but would like something better.

I have heard good things about the Steelseries pads (eying the QCK HEAVY right now), but any input would be appreciated.
QCK Mass user here (same as the Heavy but smaller), I'm really happy about it, it feels great and doesn't wear out; it used to whiten in spots and I thought it was wearing out since washing didn't remove it, but a helpful goon told me to just leave it immersed in soapy water for a few hours and it came out pristine, so that's fixed too.

However, note that 6mm thickness is REALLY thick. I got it because I have a crappy laminate desk with all sorts of bumps and cracks underneath, but if you have a mostly-smooth glass desk you'll probably be happier with one of the regular thickness QCKs.

(On a final note - remember that a thick mousepad doesn't mean you shouldn't use a wrist rest.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a laptop mouse. I'd like to get a wireless one, but I'm a bit worried about accuracy. I'm not a leet gamer and I don't throw the mouse all over the place at high speeds; rather, I do a lot of nitpicky design work and need the mouse to move predictably pixel-to-pixel at low speeds. I want to have zero random drift and as close to instant updates as possible. Right now on my desktop I have a G9, which I love and suits my needs perfectly. As far as wireless mice I've had an MX Revolution, which was acceptable but tangibly less accurate than the G9, and an old V400 which cut it when I was younger and less experienced but not any more.

I'm only interested in Logitech stuff as their products fit my hand the best. I've been looking at the M705 Marathon Mouse, because the idea of never having to change the batteries appeals to me, but I worry that low power means low report rate. Does anyone have experience with the accuracy of that mouse, or can recommend a wireless laptop mouse that's good in that respect?

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
My replacement of a replacement of a replacement G400 is now going sour, the exact same way all the previous ones did. I love that I bought the thing in the first place because they said they had reinforced the cable because of the MX518 (aka exactly how mine died :downs:). The pile of poo poo cable near where it enters the mouse somehow gets hosed and it starts to cut out.This time it didn't even start this while playing something, just browsing the web and there goes the BEE-BOOP device (dis)connected noise. It's just going to get worse from here until it's unusable.

I hope they're enjoying the data they're hopefully collecting off the loving mice I send them. :suicide:

I have a big flat desk, the cord has 5 miles of slack and it's never once snagged or anything. How the gently caress do I stop killing these things outside of not using it? I even see people in the reviews section for it complaining about the cable.

slovach fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 2, 2012

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
What the hell?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What is everyone's opinion on vertical mice? I was thinking about it since it seems like a more natural hand position, much like writing with a pen or something.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Odd, I've had an MX518 for a very long time, and the part where the cable comes out from the mouse is fine. I even constantly knock it on the floor. Maybe Logitech could do with putting a strain relief boot there?

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

HalloKitty posted:

Odd, I've had an MX518 for a very long time, and the part where the cable comes out from the mouse is fine. I even constantly knock it on the floor. Maybe Logitech could do with putting a strain relief boot there?

There is no visible damage at all, it looks perfect... but something gets hosed nevertheless. This is what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cWMK0O2sFo

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

slovach posted:

There is no visible damage at all, it looks perfect... but something gets hosed nevertheless. This is what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cWMK0O2sFo

Could get a g700 and take the battery out if you don't like the weight. It just has a microusb port at the front ( like the razer whateverthefuckingsnakeitis). The supplied cable is smooth and a hefty gauge.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So my old G9 is finaly starting to die, and I'm wondering about replacements. Whilst I've loved the gently caress out of this mouse I feel I'm not 100% getting my money's worth out of it since I dont use half its features.

Things I like about the G9:

The shape
The weight
The thumb buttons
Reasonably high DPS

Things I've never really used:

Pushing the scoll wheel side to side
The insanely high dps
The scroll wheel brake on/off

So what I'm wondering is; is there a slightly cheaper option that still has the features of the G9 I want without my having to pay for all the stuff I don't want too?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rudi Starnberg posted:

So my old G9 is finaly starting to die, and I'm wondering about replacements. Whilst I've loved the gently caress out of this mouse I feel I'm not 100% getting my money's worth out of it since I dont use half its features.

The shape
The weight
The thumb buttons
Reasonably high DPS

The insanely high dps

So what I'm wondering is; is there a slightly cheaper option that still has the features of the G9 I want without my having to pay for all the stuff I don't want too?
I was in the same position recently. I considered the G500 and the Razer Deathadder. Ended up with a G9X, relegating the G9 to laptop duty. The deathadder's $48 on Amazon Prime or $50 shipped on Newegg, and some people like it more than the G9x.

If you're not using the side-side-scroll for switching tabs in browsers, try it! Bind left scroll to ctrl+pgup and right scroll to ctrl+pgdn

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2012

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling

Rudi Starnberg posted:

The shape
The weight
The thumb buttons
Reasonably high DPS

The insanely high dps

You might like the Xornet or its near twin the Spawn. After not liking both the G400 and the Naos 5000, Tried the Xornet. I really liked the claw grip shape, and bought the Xornet when it was on sale. Nice look, but has no macro/reprogrammable keys. If you want that, there's the Spawn...I ended up returning my Xornet for a Spawn just for that feature. Only issue in comparison to the current logitech G9 is that it doesn't feature weights, so its on the light side unfortunately (I didn't like that either, but fair compromise on price and everything else).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slashkun posted:

Anyway have a look on this site and maybe consider having a play with one in a shop.

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

As for ergonomics the mice are great and really customisable from the length to suit your hand to having a pinkie rest to avoid extra friction when your little finger touches the mouse matt.
I used one and had to return it. It's very heavy even with no weights in it, and the side of the RMB will slice into your finger.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, looking for a new mouse. I'm a Logitech fanboy, so of course was looking at the G700, but thought I would ask anyways: is there anything in the same price range that's equivalent/better/different that is still as ergonomic/flexible?

VVV Wired. Personal pref, but I much prefer wireless.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 9, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Naturally Selected posted:

So, looking for a new mouse. I'm a Logitech fanboy, so of course was looking at the G700, but thought I would ask anyways: is there anything in the same price range that's equivalent/better/different that is still as ergonomic/flexible?
G9x.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Every time I think of getting a new mouse, I look at the prices and say 'naw, gently caress that' and continue to use my Microsoft basic optical mouse 1.0a. It's not a particularly good mouse, and it's certainly reliable. Currently looking into going up to a Logitech of some sort.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PlayStationGayStation posted:

Perfect! I wish more mice would come like this, everything just feels a lot more responsive.

That's interesting, I didn't know there was such a difference. I'll look into it too.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
I am in the market for something a bit more portable (something I can stuff into a laptop sleeve or something).. Anyone here tried the newish MS Arc Touch mouse or any of the Arc mice for that matter? I like the idea that they press flat to turn off and store away.

perhonen
May 7, 2007

Sharp_angus posted:

I am in the market for something a bit more portable (something I can stuff into a laptop sleeve or something).. Anyone here tried the newish MS Arc Touch mouse or any of the Arc mice for that matter? I like the idea that they press flat to turn off and store away.

I use one as a daily mouse. It gets great battery life and the bluetrack tech hasn't had a tracking problem on any surface i've ever used it on. It has a little vibration motor that runs when you use the scroll button, which is a good way to give feedback on a wheel-less scroller.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Sharp_angus posted:

I have one for my laptop, it's a pretty solid mouse but the scroll strip makes it unsuitable for gaming. Also middle clicking is more difficult since you have to tap this recessed stripe in the middle of the scrolling strip. It won't track on my glossy white table but then again very few mice can.

The little vibration motor gives good feedback for scrolling, though.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Sharp_angus posted:

The Arc Touch is ridiculously portable and pretty resilient, to boot. About the length and width of a smartphone, but thinner and lighter. Like Ana said, it's not that great for gaming if you need reliable scrolling and middle-clicking, but it's an amazing portable mouse. There's even a little magnet underneath so that you can stick the USB dongle to it, which is the smallest dongle I've ever seen.

You will find yourself constantly scrolling just to feel the little motor, though. It's addicting.

Edit: My Razer Diamondback is slogging ever-closer towards Death's door, so I think I'm gonna play it safe and order a G9x since I hate palm grips and I don't have the patience to wait a month for a G100 to ship from Korea. Will post back with a trip report/questions, since this will be the first time I've ever used a mouse with weight and grip adjustments.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 14, 2012

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question about the G700. Does anyone know what the default DPI settings are and the reports/second?

I hear it ships with 500 reports/second, but I was wondering if that can be adjusted on the mouse without installing the SetPoint software.

My google-fu isn't pulling anything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Edit: My Razer Diamondback is slogging ever-closer towards Death's door, so I think I'm gonna play it safe and order a G9x since I hate palm grips and I don't have the patience to wait a month for a G100 to ship from Korea. Will post back with a trip report/questions, since this will be the first time I've ever used a mouse with weight and grip adjustments.

I just got a G9x in the mail today! My last mouse was a Ideazon Reaper Edge and the pads wore off, making any kind of smooth movement impossible. I'm liking it a bit so far, I tend to palm the mouse so the "fat" grip works a little better though the precision one feels nicer with it's rough texture. The weights are a little pointless in my case since the mouse is heavy to begin with. I was expecting a light mouse and huge adjustment, but as it stands I can go from "heavy" to "too heavy".

The flat buttons are a bit odd at first too. Most mice have a decent slope so going to the G9x feels a little less ergo. It forces you to use just your fingertips (not really a bad thing).

All that I can get used to, but the one thing I hate is the middle button. It is the stiffest piece of poo poo, it takes an insane amount of force to click it which negates it's use in any sort of fast gaming. The wheel itself is fine, but just doing a dozen middle clicks in a row causes discomfort. I've heard some people say it breaks in eventually, but seriously Logitech... extreme resistance isn't a cornerstone to PC gaming peripherals.

e: I also got a "gamer" mousepad, the Steelseries 4HD. It's a thin plastic material with a slightly rough texture. It's almost too responsive to the mouse, it slides right across it with no trouble and I'm used to my desk or cloth pads. It's also pretty big coming from the standard ones (11.5x8.5 or something?). Of course I found out after I got it that the texture wears away at the G9x's feet and mars up the surface, so I ordered some decent fabric ones.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 16, 2012