Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Oh, is that generally a bike thing? I'm coming into bikes from car mechanicking and I'm used to doing it warm but not hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The warmer the oil, the more will come out, and it will come out faster. Even if it's not specified to change oil hot, I always ride around and get the oil circulating before I drain it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I agree with that.

According to a mechanic friend who works on Buells, the recommended procedure is to ride it hard for 10 to 15 minutes to get it "poo poo hot", the strong wording and his conviction were a surprise. He acted like it was weird compared to other bikes; my car oil changes are "idle for 5 minutes with Seafoam/Gunk in the oil, then change" so I'm not usually in a position to rev it at all, and new to bikes in general so I haven't needed to look into what people normally do for an oil change. Thanks for the advice, makes sense.

Guess I'll cross that point out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Well thanks for all the suggestions guys, but turns out the glut of cash is going somewhere other than another bike :smith:. Still got some money for a couple of bits and bobs to tart it up though, so I'll go for that first option.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've found, at least with my buell, the best way to get it poo poo hot is to ride it easy. The oil/air cooling doesn't work as well under 3k/50mph. But I can see that being different on a blast without a rear cylinder buried between the rider's legs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Splizwarf posted:

I agree with that.

According to a mechanic friend who works on Buells, the recommended procedure is to ride it hard for 10 to 15 minutes to get it "poo poo hot", the strong wording and his conviction were a surprise. He acted like it was weird compared to other bikes; my car oil changes are "idle for 5 minutes with Seafoam/Gunk in the oil, then change" so I'm not usually in a position to rev it at all, and new to bikes in general so I haven't needed to look into what people normally do for an oil change. Thanks for the advice, makes sense.

Guess I'll cross that point out.

With cars it's still best to do it with the engine (oil) up around operating temp, since the hotter it gets the less viscous it is / easier it flows, which is why it's such a dick move when car designers put the oil filter smack up on the exhaust.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

http://www.mapleridgemotorsports.com/pages/MyInventory#details:unitId=100071854 I'm looking at this as my first bike, and I'm sure I could talk the price down to at least $2400. Thing is, after the 12% tax it would come out to $2688. Keeping in mind that I'm in Canada, what do you guys think is a reasonable after-tax price for this bike? I really didn't want to pay more than $2500 for my first bike. :smith: I'm scouring Craigslist for good deals every day.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tell 'em you want $2500 out the door. I bet they'll say yes.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Tell 'em you want $2500 out the door. I bet they'll say yes.
Do you think that's a pretty reasonable price for a bike like this with the mileage it has? I checked to make sure it doesn't have rebuilt status.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's about what I would expect, yeah.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Looks like you were right. He'll do 2500 out-the-door :).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Woohoo! Congrats!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What are the opinions on the SV650s? My local dealer has had one in for a while now that I thought looked quite... interesting the last time I was there.

I've been looking at Bonnevilles and the like but part of me wants something sporty and the CBR's/675's/R6's etc are all way too expensive insurance-wise (this will be my first big bike).

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Frankston posted:

What are the opinions on the SV650s? My local dealer has had one in for a while now that I thought looked quite... interesting the last time I was there.

I've been looking at Bonnevilles and the like but part of me wants something sporty and the CBR's/675's/R6's etc are all way too expensive insurance-wise (this will be my first big bike).

I think CA likes SV's.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Frankston posted:

Yea, CA is big on the SV650 as a good first bike for a responsible rider.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I went to look at the bike just to see what's what. It's been dropped on the right side and there's some scratches and a crack in the fairing:

I don't give a poo poo about cosmetic damage like this because it's my first bike and I won't be so paranoid about dinging it up.

I'm no expert obviously, but everything else seemed fine. The tires didn't look worn, and it looks well kept.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Zubumafoo posted:

Yea, CA is big on the SV650 as a good first bike for a responsible rider.

What about for example, a Monster 620?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Frankston posted:

The gripe about the 650S is that the riding position is more race-crouch than the 650N, and can be pretty cramped for taller riders. Sit on it and ideally ride it around to tell if it's your bag.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
So I've posted a few times asking about SV650s and other middleweight standards, but I still don't know what I really want.

I've been puttering around on a Ninja 250 for about 3000 miles, and I'm happy to continue doing so for a while longer. I'm mostly just thinking/dreaming about what I want next.

The more I've been riding, the more I think I want something super practical that can do it all. I have actually started to look at Wee-stroms now. I want comfort in the city and on the highway. Easy riding, comfortable ergos, and as much sporting character as I can get without giving up the former.

So I guess my options are like...
Wee-Strom
FZ6
Versys
Ninja 650
F800ST
Triumph Sprint (maybe?)
VFR800
Bandit 650

or give up some comfort and go for a Street Triple, Monster, or SV650

or Multistrada comedy option

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just kinda curious why you think the street triple is giving up on comfort, over say a Ninja 650? I want one of those bad, and was under the impression it was a good all rounder, unless you mean the fact that it's naked.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Hog Obituary posted:

So I've posted a few times asking about SV650s and other middleweight standards, but I still don't know what I really want.

I've been puttering around on a Ninja 250 for about 3000 miles, and I'm happy to continue doing so for a while longer. I'm mostly just thinking/dreaming about what I want next.

The more I've been riding, the more I think I want something super practical that can do it all. I have actually started to look at Wee-stroms now. I want comfort in the city and on the highway. Easy riding, comfortable ergos, and as much sporting character as I can get without giving up the former.

Wee-Strom
FZ6
Versys
Ninja 650
F800ST
Triumph Sprint (maybe?)
VFR800
Bandit 650

I think we are in the same boat. I have about 4,000 miles under my belt on the Ninja 250 and I'm using up every last bit of will-power to stay away from shops and craigslist.org/mcy. I have a buddy who rides the piss out of his DL1000 and loves it and so I'm looking at a DL650 as a possible upgrade in the next several months. Another close contender is the Ninja 650. I haven't sat on either, but I really like the ergonomics and seating position of both of those bikes.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The Street Triple's seat did take a little getting used to from the Ninja 250, the way the seat curves forces you forward into the tank into a very upright seating position, at least at first. After I'd broken it in a little and bought some tank pads for my knees I have to say the seat is actually pretty adaptable. I can sit upright and just relax on my way through town, but on the highway or going fast on the back roads I can get into an aggressive crouch if I need to. It feels pretty comfortable.

I'd say it's worth a try if you can get a test drive, I love mine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hog Obituary posted:

Wee-Strom
FZ6
Versys
Ninja 650
F800ST
Triumph Sprint (maybe?)
VFR800
Bandit 650

If you're heading up to VFR800/Monster territory price-wise, give the Aprilia Shiver a look too. They're comfortable (considerably moreso than the Street Triple or the unfaired SV, which are the only two from that list I've ridden to compare), and seriously scratch if you put the ignition into sport mode and move around a bit to make the suspension's life easier.

Oh and the faired version (if that floats your boat) has lockable cubbyholes in the fairing including one with a charging socket built in.

About the only drawbacks in heavy traffic are the wide turning circle and it does feel a bit top-heavy at slow speed - although of course all this is contingent on being able to find a dealer, they're rather thinner on the ground than the others.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I had no idea there was a faired version of the Shiver!
e: oh the Shiver GT is not sold in the US, is it?

quote:

Just kinda curious why you think the street triple is giving up on comfort, over say a Ninja 650? I want one of those bad, and was under the impression it was a good all rounder, unless you mean the fact that it's naked.

Yes, the fact that it's naked to me is giving up comfort. I *love* naked bikes, but on the highway I feel that wind does detract from comfort some. FWIW I haven't ridden a naked bike for any real length on the highway - just one quick ride on my buddy's GS500. The air is certainly clean when it hits you (not like my 250 which buffeted like crazy until I got one of Mike's huge touring screens).

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 4, 2012

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hog Obituary posted:

I had no idea there was a faired version of the Shiver!
e: oh the Shiver GT is not sold in the US, is it?

Hmm, apparently not, sorry. The Mana GT is though, and has massive on-board storage, but personally I didn't like the styling although I was intrigued by the semi-auto gearbox.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Aprilias in general are pretty hard to find in the States and they're more or less always RSV-Rs and Tuonos. Unless you know specifically where to find a Mana or Shiver I wouldn't burn much time considering them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Someone had just put down a deposit on the Bandit 1200S I was looking at. They did have a pretty bitching CX650 Turbo from the 80s though.

http://www.prismnet.com/~tmscream/cgi-bin/onecycle.cgi?name=83cx650t

I'm still looking around, have a line on a couple Ninja 250s, a Ninja 500 and a Bandit 600S.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

I have all the proper gear, I'm taking the MSF next week, and I'm not a complete idiot with regards to being aware of the risks inherent in motorcycles.

My dad did a complete 180 about my plans to get a bike, from not wanting me to get even a pregen Ninja 250 to seeing if I want his friends Monster (for Ninja amounts of money I might add).

How horrible would a Ducati Monster 620 be for a first bike? They're a fair bit slower than an SV650 and those get the nod for starter bikes on here every once and a while.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Preferred by tiny people all over the world. Are you tiny?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

6' 2" 180lbs :ohdear: I'm going to be checking the bike out next weekend, hopefully I won't be too scrunched up on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I have all the proper gear, I'm taking the MSF next week, and I'm not a complete idiot with regards to being aware of the risks inherent in motorcycles.

My dad did a complete 180 about my plans to get a bike, from not wanting me to get even a pregen Ninja 250 to seeing if I want his friends Monster (for Ninja amounts of money I might add).

How horrible would a Ducati Monster 620 be for a first bike? They're a fair bit slower than an SV650 and those get the nod for starter bikes on here every once and a while.

The only real thing I could see counting against the Monster as a starter bike (once you take price out of the equation) is the clutch can be very heavy and quite snatchy (although I don't know if that's as bad on the smaller one) and the gearbox a little agricultural compared to Japanese bikes - some people can be really put off by that if they've trained on something a bit more conventional.

Don't worry too much about the tiny people comment, it's only because of their very low seat height - they're pretty roomy, my friend is 6'1" and fits on his fine.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I've decided that, while I really like the deal on the Ninja 500R, I'm going to wait until I'm done my lessons before I get a bike. It doesn't seem sensible to buy a motorcycle without ever actually riding one :downs:.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MonkeyNutZ posted:

6' 2" 180lbs :ohdear: I'm going to be checking the bike out next weekend, hopefully I won't be too scrunched up on it.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. It'll have more power than your gt at least. :frogbon:

casque
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone know anything about a Honda Ascot as a first bike?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/3183226247.html

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The problems really come when you try to lean off it, not when riding along in a straight line. But if you're young and gymnastic it won't be a huge issue.

Look for corrosion and oil leaks and make sure you know when it's due belts and valve adjustment.

It's a great first big bike, albeit near-zero wind protection.

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 5, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If I'm 5'8" and 150lbs, is the weight on a Bandit something to be concerned about? I'm not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. I did ride an SV650S which I guess is around 100 lbs lighter when I was younger and even smaller, so I might be over thinking this.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

The oil can only be changed hot. (e: non-issue I guess)

the oil level can only be checked hot. that is what you mean.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Bovril Delight posted:

If I'm 5'8" and 150lbs, is the weight on a Bandit something to be concerned about? I'm not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. I did ride an SV650S which I guess is around 100 lbs lighter when I was younger and even smaller, so I might be over thinking this.

I was worried about riding my father in law's 800lb Goldwing due to it's weight and he looked at me like I was nuts and said "Are you carrying it or riding it?" If a bike is well designed, you only really notice weight at parking lot speeds. After that, it disappears.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Giblet Plus! posted:

the oil level can only be checked hot. that is what you mean.

Yeah not even some mechanics realise that (and it's not universal across all bikes). Even though I know it's the case on mine it always gives me a little start when I see the sightglass empty when I wash it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Bloody Queef posted:

I was worried about riding my father in law's 800lb Goldwing due to it's weight and he looked at me like I was nuts and said "Are you carrying it or riding it?" If a bike is well designed, you only really notice weight at parking lot speeds. After that, it disappears.
Parking lot maneuvering is a concern, though. I'm 5'8" 150 or so, and I test ride a wide range of bikes, and I've yet to drop one during a ride, but there are a bunch that I really don't enjoy riding because of their weight or height. The larger Triumph triples, Goldwings, bagger Harleys, and the larger BMW GSes come to mind. A Bandit 1200 isn't as bad as those, but it's up there a bit.