Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Well, my Nexus 7 screen lifting has me curious-- is there any reason to believe that the issue will actually impact the tablet's functionality or will it just be a cosmetic issue?

Would actually opening it up, tightening the screws and wiping them down with Loctite or super glue help since apparently there isn't actually any glue there to begin with? Since there isn't any glue, setting heavy stuff on it overnight shouldn't really help for any stretch of time.

If I do exchange it, how would I go about backing up info and wiping this unit clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Walrusmaster posted:

You can use a Bluetooth transfer. If the s3 has NFC you can transfer some things through android beam as well.

e: is Android beam supposed to turn on bluetooth?

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 5, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

HSN is currently selling the Nexus 7 16GB.

For $300.

They're including "$200 worth of software" added in.

They are SO excited about having this.

"This is not a toy, it has office productivity!"

Retail value is $453.61 according to HSN.

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/asus-nexus-7-quad-core-16gb-tablet-with-app-pack_p-6905748_xp.aspx?o=!whatsonnow&ocm=LT

Wow.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 5, 2012

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

For $300.

http://www.hsn.com/electronics/asus-nexus-7-quad-core-16gb-tablet-with-app-pack_p-6905748_xp.aspx?o=!whatsonnow&ocm=LT

Wow.

"the playground is open" wow great, like I really want to go back to the days of girls making fun of my bowl cut and getting laughed at by the cool kids. Thanks google.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

ThermoPhysical posted:

For $300.

Wow.

hahaha one of the apps they include is "Camera ZOOM FX
Loaded with amazing features to take great pics
Includes post-processing effects that make photos look spectacular" for a device with no camera

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Genderfluid posted:

hahaha one of the apps they include is "Camera ZOOM FX
Loaded with amazing features to take great pics
Includes post-processing effects that make photos look spectacular" for a device with no camera

It has a front facing camera, though that's still pretty dumb.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Okay, finally off work and I have some observations.

I was watching the live HSN feed and my favorite part was the guy trying to demo Google's voice search (claiming you can do EVERYTHING via voice...which you can't, not yet anyway) and talking so much because he was SO excited, it never worked.

They really pushed the fact that it's a GOOGLE tablet made by GOOGLE (not much mention of Asus) and that it's "GOT A QUAD CORE FASTER THAN YOUR COMPUTER AT HOME!!" And that it's "NOT A TOY" and how you can get other $200 tablets but they'll never have a "QUAD CORE FASTER THAN YOUR COMPUTER AT HOME".

Is this really how Google tablets are marketed to the public at large? It was a little embarrassing. They didn't mention any "techie" stuff like how it comes with Jelly Bean and any features about Jelly Bean. They mentioned the OS's name (Android Jelly Bean) and how it has "no lag, no stutter, nothing to slow you down".

I don't recall EXACTLY how many tablets HSN had in stock, but it wasn't many so it would obviously sell out and not many people seemed to order them anyway. I'm hoping it's because they knew the tablet could be bought straight from a brick and mortar store for $200 - $250 and practically anywhere online (except Amazon) for the same price minus tax in most places.

Not sure about those apps tossed in. How do those work anyway? Does the store in question just ask Google to add a bunch of non-stock apps to their stock device (???) and stick em in /system so that you can't uninstall them?

I also saw that "The playground is open" thing in one of the Nexus 7's commercials with the guy taking his kid camping. That slogan makes no sense... I could've told my mom that I was planning on buying that but the commercial was so odd, I decided not to mention it.

Again with the "odd marketing to the public". At least Google+ has some nice commercials. Chrome too for the most part.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

e: is Android beam supposed to turn on bluetooth?
On JB, yes. One of the JB features is file transfers initiated over NFC go over BT for faster speeds so you don't have to hold the things together for hours.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
HSN selling electronics is always embarrassing and they're usually factually wrong about stuff. I'm surprised you're all taking it so seriously. The whole point is to get grandparents to buy stuff that they know nothing about. They regularly sell electronics with ridiculous markups. It has nothing to do with Google pushing it or Android tablet marketing in general or anything. Buy electronic, bundle $5 accessory, sell for $100 markup!

Edit: For example, I saw them selling an iPad 2 with a pack of screen protectors, a stylus, and a lovely third party case for $550... After Apple dropped the price to $400. It makes me mad when people purposely rip off grandmas trying to buy nice things for their grandkids :mad:

sourdough fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 5, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is this really how Google tablets are marketed to the public at large? It was a little embarrassing. They didn't mention any "techie" stuff like how it comes with Jelly Bean and any features about Jelly Bean. They mentioned the OS's name (Android Jelly Bean) and how it has "no lag, no stutter, nothing to slow you down".
Do you think HSN's main market gives two shits about techie stuff? Honestly?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wasn't "The Playground is Open" part of I/O? I seem to remember some guy saying it on the livestream to convince UI designers that they can use more screen space and developers could make money through Google Play because of how well the Nexus7 was going to sell. Some marketing exec probably thought it sounded good and just marked it as a general tagline without giving a thought to it's context or target audience.

They're going to be using it years from now on ads for the Samsung Nexus Flexi12". I see Anime kids running down an overbright city street with flexible screens wrapped round their forearms and birds chirping in the shrubs growing on top of a Google RoboCar. All the time two albino Slash clones mirror each other and play indie music on electric harps.

Nobody is going to know what the gently caress it's about but they're going to buy it anyways.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 5, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Do you think HSN's main market gives two shits about techie stuff? Honestly?

Actually, HSN's tech stuff sells pretty decently from what I've seen. They had an RCA wireless media player that almost sold out.

Most of their market buys jewelry and clothing, but the tech stuff sells too.

RVProfootballer posted:

HSN selling electronics is always embarrassing and they're usually factually wrong about stuff. I'm surprised you're all taking it so seriously. The whole point is to get grandparents to buy stuff that they know nothing about. They regularly sell electronics with ridiculous markups. It has nothing to do with Google pushing it or Android tablet marketing in general or anything. Buy electronic, bundle $5 accessory, sell for $100 markup!

Edit: For example, I saw them selling an iPad 2 with a pack of screen protectors, a stylus, and a lovely third party case for $550... After Apple dropped the price to $400. It makes me mad when people purposely rip off grandmas trying to buy nice things for their grandkids :mad:

It's still good to see the Nexus 7 get some type of press though...even if it was awkward and embarrassing. I haven't seen it anywhere else, actually.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Actually, HSN's tech stuff sells pretty decently from what I've seen. They had an RCA wireless media player that almost sold out.

Most of their market buys jewelry and clothing, but the tech stuff sells too.

He wasn't saying the tech stuff doesn't sell, he was saying their audience doesn't care about specs. They don't want to know about quad core or Jelly Bean, they want to know that it's faster than their computer and runs all the latest apps and comes with a ton of apps pre-installed.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

He wasn't saying the tech stuff doesn't sell, he was saying their audience doesn't care about specs. They don't want to know about quad core or Jelly Bean, they want to know that it's faster than their computer and runs all the latest apps and comes with a ton of apps pre-installed.

Whoops, misread that.

They mentioned quad-core quite a bit, so I think that came with the "faster than your computer" part.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
How do I stop the library picking up random MP3s on a Nexus 7? I have ScummVM and MP3s from things like Simon the Sorcerer 2 are showing up on my library page and it's very annoying. I tried creating a .nomedia file but that didn't do anything, is there some special place I have to put the files for them not to show up?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
Got a replacement Nexus 7 which also has the screen lifting issue. A little bummed. I'm going to try one more time! It's a pretty cool tablet and I want to like it, but I also want one that isn't broken (I tried setting a heavy weight on it overnight, which kept the screen down for about 45 minutes before it popped up again).

Also, someone needs to make a good Twitter app for Android. I browse Twitter on the smallest screen in my house (iPhone) because Tweetbot is that much better than everything else.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You don't like Plume?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

grahm posted:

Also, someone needs to make a good Twitter app for Android. I browse Twitter on the smallest screen in my house (iPhone) because Tweetbot is that much better than everything else.

Try Tweetlanes. It targets ICS/JB specifically and is quite nice.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
My N7 has sort of developed the screen lifting issue after about a week of having it. Seems strange, but it's barely noticeable. I think it's probably worth getting a replacement before it gets worse though. I thought I'd gotten lucky.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I'm starting to wonder if every N7 in this production run is affected by the screen lift. Some seem worse than others, but I've even noticed that when I push the left side down, I see more ripples on the LCD than if I push on the right side. I'm just wondering if that's a sign that something went awry on the left side of the tablet during production.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm willing to bet rushed production and many weren't pressed/assembled correctly for the adhesive to take.

FWIW, my pre order unit still isn't lifting but I threw some books on it overnight a few days ago for the hell of it. /shrug

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm willing to bet rushed production and many weren't pressed/assembled correctly for the adhesive to take.

FWIW, my pre order unit still isn't lifting but I threw some books on it overnight a few days ago for the hell of it. /shrug

But, I've seen the thing open online, and there isn't any adhesive at all actually in there-- just screws. I was thinking of getting an opening tool and tighening the screws and just brushing the screws with some glue, but am wondering if it would be easier to just wait until my 15 days at Staples is almost up and exchange it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Soul Glo posted:

But, I've seen the thing open online, and there isn't any adhesive at all actually in there-- just screws. I was thinking of getting an opening tool and tighening the screws and just brushing the screws with some glue, but am wondering if it would be easier to just wait until my 15 days at Staples is almost up and exchange it.

Color me wrong then. I have no clue at this point.

I would just exchange it but I'm also too lazy to open something that shouldn't be opened.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

grahm posted:

Got a replacement Nexus 7 which also has the screen lifting issue. A little bummed. I'm going to try one more time! It's a pretty cool tablet and I want to like it, but I also want one that isn't broken (I tried setting a heavy weight on it overnight, which kept the screen down for about 45 minutes before it popped up again).

Just commenting on what worked for me: make sure the pressure is applied mostly on the left side of the screen. I just put a small eraser on the mid-left side of the screen and then put a couple of Power Electronics books on top of it. Issue hasn't recurred since.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rumbaar posted:

Has anyone else experienced any screen flickering? I've only noticed it once, where the back light seemed to flicker when viewing a web page.

Yea, I've got the same problem and it the only fix appears to be to return the unit. There's a big XDA Devs Forum Thread about this, it sucks. :(

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

FormatAmerica posted:

Try Tweetlanes. It targets ICS/JB specifically and is quite nice.

Everyone should give this a shot. It does an awesome job remembering your position in the timeline. It feels like it should be the default Twitter client on Android 4.0+

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Got a screen-lift N7, ordered a replacement using the nexus line, great customer service. I asked the guy if there was any info for defect rates, and he ballparked 3%. Has anyone heard similar/otherwise?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, I've got the same problem and it the only fix appears to be to return the unit. There's a big XDA Devs Forum Thread about this, it sucks. :(

Oddly enough I get the same flicker issue... in chrome on my win8 tablet. Could this really be a chrome issue?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

OldPueblo posted:

Oddly enough I get the same flicker issue... in chrome on my win8 tablet. Could this really be a chrome issue?

On my first N7 the flickering was only apparent in the Maps app.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Hey I'll admit some of my complaints may just be due to things not working like I am used to or are fairly nitpicky. It was just my observations after a few days.

And let me reiterate because some people seem to have a knee-jerk reaction about their favorite platform: iOS is not perfect and there are certainly things I would love to see changed. I didnt post about them in this thread (for the most part) because it's the Android tablet thread, not the "fix iOS" thread.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I wouldn't worry about it. You made some good points and this thread gets super defensive about their tablets.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Flicking for me happens everywhere, it's just much more obvious when its against a white background.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I'd take an imperfect Android tablet that still functions fine over an iPad any day. These days its more about picking your ecosystem than specific hardware really, and to most of us in this thread that puts Android above Apple despite the perceived perception of it's hardware perfection (say it fast). Despite being a Windows Phone and Win8 fan, there's currently no better 7" tablet and I like the 7" form factor.

I just finished selling all my random tablets and am standardizing my family on the N7 (four of them). I look forward to slamming our N7s together all day sharing content and apps and stuff. So far I've got a good one, I'm buying them all locally in case I get a bad one but I'm not too worried about a little screen lift. The flickering I guess I'd have to see how disruptive it is.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

What is a good way to change the color, transparency or placement of the Google search bar at the top of my N7 home screen? I'm not rooted.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

I'd take an imperfect Android tablet that still functions fine over an iPad any day.

With such a low bar to aim for, these companies will never improve their products.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Toady posted:

With such a low bar to aim for, these companies will never improve their products.

For $200 they don't need to, and that still gets you a better ecosystem.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

For $200 they don't need to, and that still gets you a better ecosystem.

I won't comment on ecosystems as that's an ideological debate, but it's certainly not unreasonable to hold a $200 product to the standard of being assembled properly.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Perhaps Google should provide everyone a bumper with a lip to hold down the edges.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Seriously? Let's not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Perhaps Google should provide everyone a bumper with a lip to hold down the edges.

Not interested in platform wars. Apple handing out iPhone bumpers doesn't mean it's acceptable for Nexus 7 screens to detach just because they're $200.