Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm going to be getting this game on Tuesday for the PS3 if anybody wants to destroy me ( i'm terrible at fighters ) my ps3 account is NotAntagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JackDarko posted:

I'm going to be getting this game on Tuesday for the PS3 if anybody wants to destroy me ( i'm terrible at fighters ) my ps3 account is NotAntagonist.

I'll play you if you're east coast, I'm too big of a baby to deal with lag

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I'll be down. PSN: Squallege

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Countblanc posted:

I'll play you if you're east coast, I'm too big of a baby to deal with lag

I'm stuck California, sorry about that. I totally understand lag is a mood killer.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.
So I just made a challonge page for Tuesday night for PS3 if there's enough interest. I can stream the whole thing no problem.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/btcfkwrvwr

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Countblanc posted:

but if you don't like doing quarter circle motions to throw projectiles there's a good chance this game won't really be that fun for you

loving finger puzzles man how do they work

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zexerous posted:

So I just made a challonge page for Tuesday night for PS3 if there's enough interest. I can stream the whole thing no problem.

I'm not sure on what time you were thinking but if it's 7:30 EST or later I'd be down.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Zexerous posted:

I signed up! Needless to say I am bear-y excited. :D

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

For the tournament sorry, forgot to put in the time. It'll start around 10 pm eastern time. I'm sure those of us who sign up won't think it un-bear-able if we wait on a few people on the east coast to get here.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Zexerous posted:

Cool I signed up.

Sandwich Miter
Dec 24, 2006

Monte Cristo Deluxe

Zexerous posted:

Looking forward to getting wrecked

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I'd join, but I only have a single cable, so I can't be online and on PSN at the same time.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I'm signed up for the tournament too. Hopefully I can get it early in the day so I can mess around a bit before playing online.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
After playing for a few days I was happily surprised to see free DLC on the store: example combos for each character's challenge #30. (Pressing the "show demo" key before getting it just had the screen tell me "no cheating!")
Since I'll probably never get to any character's #29 or 28 even, it's at least nice to see some ridiculous stuff. :)
Not sure if this is a Japan-store only thing or what but I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I signed up for this also. Hopefully amazon will ship this in the morning so I'll have time to play it to prepare.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

So are we really going to stream this thing? I have some friends who want to check it out but will probably not participate. Streaming would especially rule if we made a weekly tourney out of this or something. :)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I am generally terrible at ASW games, but hey hopefully mostly everyone else is too.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
Signed up and ready to be destroyed by lucky bastards with early copies and practice.

H.R. Hufflepuff fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 6, 2012

Sunnie
Dec 23, 2011
I was wondering if this game would be a good first fighting game to take seriously in terms of learning.

I play a bit of Marvel and I'm able to perform a couple of basic BnBs. Despite it being as beginner friendly as airdash heavy fighters get, I'm far from being able to hold my own though due to not owning the game nor a fight sticks.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

CaptainPoopsock posted:

So are we really going to stream this thing? I have some friends who want to check it out but will probably not participate. Streaming would especially rule if we made a weekly tourney out of this or something. :)

Yeah I can totally stream a weekly, my capture card is built right into my tower so it doesn't take much messing around to do it. I'm trying to get a hold of sockbot so I can get of the old goonsgarden graphics since i also use jaxel's panel writer. Or if any of you have any skill with making that stuff, you guys could make it and I can just run it.

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

Sunnie posted:

I was wondering if this game would be a good first fighting game to take seriously in terms of learning.

I play a bit of Marvel and I'm able to perform a couple of basic BnBs. Despite it being as beginner friendly as airdash heavy fighters get, I'm far from being able to hold my own though due to not owning the game nor a fight sticks.

I think this is a great fighting game to learn with (granted I've only been playing a couple days so I fully accept that I could be completely wrong about everything) and here's why:

1) You don't have 5 million characters to choose from. The character count is small (13) so you don't have to feel overwhelmed with having to learn tons of characters. Pick a couple and have fun. I personally find myself overwhelmed with too many characters because back in the day I used to have all the time in the world to learn them all. Now things are different and I don't want to have to play 50 different characters to learn the most efficient synergies and who works best with who, etc. It's very refreshing.

2) The foundation is roughly the same as most other fighters and the principles you learn here can help you elsewhere. Obviously this game has its own unique things that set it apart and it won't translate 1:1, but what you learn can be applied in some form to other fighters or at least will help you understand terms and how things work. Maybe this game isn't as technical as Street Fighter 4, but that's what makes it great.

3) You only use four buttons. No L/M/H/L+M+H confusion or anything wacky like that. All you need to know is on four buttons and their combinations. You have Weak, Strong, Weak Persona, Strong Persona. That's it.

4) There's a beginner-friendly auto-combo system that lets you perform a pretty beefy combo by mashing A. Obviously you'll want to mix things up and learn more BnB combos, but this is a great starting point.

5) The lengthy challenge mode will help you learn combos and how you can use moves to set up combos. Very good for learning the game. I've done the challenge mode for all characters (not 100% complete but getting there) and learned a ton!

6) I would go as far as to say you don't NEED a fight stick for this game as much as you would for others. There are no complex directional movements to make. Lots of the moves in this game require nothing more than a QCF/QCB or QCF/QCB x2 and button presses. With only 4 buttons, you won't have to worry about hitting the trigger buttons. I found Blazblue plays very well on the Vita and I think that would translate to this game as well since the control scheme is similar. The only caveat is when you have to press 3 out of 4 buttons, which could be challenging on a controller. But you could map those to the L or R buttons.

7) The game has comeback mechanics. If you're getting stomped you have bursts and Awakened mode to help you out.

The only negative thing I can see here is that it will never have the community that games like SF4 and Marvel have. Not saying this will happen to P4A soon, but what happened with games like Blazblue is the new players die off and you only have the complete rapists left to deal with. So playing online is nearly impossible if you're new and can be very discouraging. But the game just came out and I am sure it'll have a strong community of casuals and pros alike for quite some time.

Buy this game. It rules and we need more people playing it. :)

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
I heard this is using the same netcode as Blazblue. Assuming I'm playing this on the PS3, what does that mean exactly? I really liked the first relase of Blazblue but lost interest because the netcode seemed iffy. Did the netcode improve in the previous two releases at all? Was the netcode in the first release good and I'm just an idiot?

Was there any improvement in the netcode between the release of the last BB game and this? It boggles my mind that this isn't the FIRST concern of any company releasing a fighting game before anything else. I'M LOOKING AT YOU KoF!!

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

It's not GGPO or anything but Blazblue's netcode was solid, even in the first release. The game's sort of lukewarm pacing was probably a factor in this but it always felt smooth.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
I'll totally buy the game regardless. My master plan is to buy both the 360 and PS3 version since I have joysticks for both systems, and then find an excuse to give the 360 version to my friend. So loving hard to find people to play fighting games with these days. If I talk about BlazBlue, King of Fighters, etc... to my friends, their faces just sort of glaze over and ask if it's a first person shooter.

I've been completely unsuccessful introducing any fighting game to anyone ever. Literally no one wants to have anything to do with the thing. They don't want to play me because I'm better than them, they don't want to play each other because they have no reason to invest in a game they've never heard of with weird mechanics they don't immediatly "get". I wish I lived anywhere but the loving south-west.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Signed up to play you guys tomorrow with all my inexperience. Can't wait.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Wizard Whateley posted:

I'll totally buy the game regardless. My master plan is to buy both the 360 and PS3 version since I have joysticks for both systems, and then find an excuse to give the 360 version to my friend. So loving hard to find people to play fighting games with these days. If I talk about BlazBlue, King of Fighters, etc... to my friends, their faces just sort of glaze over and ask if it's a first person shooter.

I've been completely unsuccessful introducing any fighting game to anyone ever. Literally no one wants to have anything to do with the thing. They don't want to play me because I'm better than them, they don't want to play each other because they have no reason to invest in a game they've never heard of with weird mechanics they don't immediatly "get". I wish I lived anywhere but the loving south-west.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/southwest.118/

EQFiddleCastrol
Sep 19, 2002

YO YO YO -- this is a shout-out to my fellow BBB's (Big Booty Bitches). Love you Celestie and Linds :)

Wizard Whateley posted:

I used to be in this situation, then I met a dude at college with some friends. ten years later and I can get stomped locally whenever I want, it's pretty cool. I know the advent of acceptable online play has helped, but like you I'll always prefer playing friends. stay strong brother

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_Ja5QhPig

So in the second match the P2 Yu has the Nanako commentary :gonk:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I wonder if there's a story justification for Nanako as a navigator. Not that I wanna know what it is, but ya know.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, as long as this game has Teddie yelling "BEAR-sona!" it's all good!

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

dj_de posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_Ja5QhPig

So in the second match the P2 Yu has the Nanako commentary :gonk:

Holy gently caress that Naoto combo at 2:05 :pwn:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nogic posted:

Holy gently caress that Naoto combo at 2:05 :pwn:

That's a pretty bog-standard SMP combo. Not even one of the fancier 90% damage ones.

Anyways, I had a chance to play the game yesterday at a local tourney, and goddamn, Kanji is fun as gently caress. Swapping out 236C for 236D to catch people who're holding down the tech button will never get old. I actually had someone ragequit for getting shocked and brofisted. Free resets all day.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Just got the call from the EB games down the street from my work place that my preorder will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow, so I'm gonna grab that during my lunch hour.

I'm so excited! :dance:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Have they said how you actually get the different commentators?

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

IRC is un-bear-ably lonely without all this Persona talk. Let's join irc.synirc.net #persona4arena and build hype together. Only one more day, folks. :D

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Countblanc posted:

Have they said how you actually get the different commentators?

I might be getting these wrong but:

Nanako is finish story mode with ALL CHARACTERS ON HELL
Teddie is do all of 1 character's challenges.
Fuuka is complete ALL CHARACTER'S CHALLENGES.

I can't remember Mitsuru hers is probably arcade mode and I might be mixing up her and Teddie.

edit: or you can just be lazy like me and purchase them as dlc cause gently caress that poo poo

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2012

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Buhbuhj posted:

I might be getting these wrong but:

Nanako is finish story mode with ALL CHARACTERS ON HELL
Teddie is do all of 1 character's challenges.
Fuuka is complete ALL CHARACTER'S CHALLENGES.

I can't remember Mitsuru her's is probably arcade mode and I might be mixing up her and Teddie.

edit: or you can just be lazy like me and purchase them as dlc cause gently caress that poo poo

Oh God that'll be impossible! :gonk:

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Chie's title keeps shifting between the two different things, haven't noticed that for anyone else.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Veev posted:

Chie's title keeps shifting between the two different things, haven't noticed that for anyone else.

I'm not sure why that is myself, I know from what I saw from Story Mode feeds, it's consistently Spunky Dragon With Deadly Legs, I dunno if that also exists in the Japanese settings or not.

Her ACTUAL title should be The Carnivore Who Discarded Womanhood, but I guess the title's too embarrassing even for ATLUS? Also I can't spell poo poo.

LightningKimba fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's been one like "discarded femininity" or something

• Locked thread