Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Jeff has been posting a few photos from the guys being out there to record with Mike Park for the Bruce Lee Band: https://twitter.com/jeffrosenstock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.

Dickeye posted:

OK that loving rules just because you have no idea what it's going to sound like. It could be a relatively straight cover or it could be Jeff just throwing poo poo at the wall or anything.

Ahhh, I am so excited for what he comes up with... Saddr Weirdr mentions boxes, maybe he'll just sing that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You misunderstand, he could literally just be throwing things at a wall while yelling the lyrics and recording it. It'd probably sound pretty good, too.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've been going to a new bar after improv in Chelsea, and I ended up staying til close last night. After most of the patrons left I noticed they were playing some Specials and Slackers and apparently the manager always plays some ska Pandora stations late at night. On the way out I stopped to comment on his taste:

Me: "Great music, man, you don't hear ska in bars very often."
Him: "Yeah. A few friends of mine were in a small ska band a while back and turned me onto it. I think they're doing a reunion show sometime soon."
Me: "What band?"
Him: "Edna's Goldfish."
:aaaaa:

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.

Dickeye posted:

You misunderstand, he could literally just be throwing things at a wall while yelling the lyrics and recording it. It'd probably sound pretty good, too.

May as well throw in some 8-bit on top and call it a day. But seriously, what Steve Martin and Kevin Nealon did for their intro on the latest episode was pretty much what I was expecting Jeff to do. So now I'm really excited.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Seriously guys, Edna's Goldfish is reuniting (again), and I have tickets. Sucks that it's a Sunday night, and I live in Delaware. Guess I'm taking off Monday. So in a two and a half year span I will have seen Spring Heeled Jack, The Pietasters, Slapstick, the Chinkees, Slow Gherkin, Buck-O-Nine, The Impossibles, Edna's Goldfish, and slightly less notably since they never went away Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, The Aquabats, and Big D and the Kids Table. And this was May 2010 to October 2012, not 1997-1999. What the hell?

In other news, new Bruce Lee Band with BtMI backing? HOLY poo poo.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Saw streetlight at warped tour, it was probably the most fun I've had at a show thusfar. They where the only band that I saw that got an encore.

Thomas said they would be back in Boston this year around October or November for the release of their new album. Hopefully I can get out to see them again.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

lessthankyle posted:

I've been going to a new bar after improv in Chelsea, and I ended up staying til close last night. After most of the patrons left I noticed they were playing some Specials and Slackers and apparently the manager always plays some ska Pandora stations late at night. On the way out I stopped to comment on his taste:

Me: "Great music, man, you don't hear ska in bars very often."
Him: "Yeah. A few friends of mine were in a small ska band a while back and turned me onto it. I think they're doing a reunion show sometime soon."
Me: "What band?"
Him: "Edna's Goldfish."
:aaaaa:

What bar is that? I work in Chelsea and this place sounds like my new haunt.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Lots of dumb stuff in this article, but: new, self-titled Sonic Boom Six album out October 15.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

jetgrindeggy posted:

What bar is that? I work in Chelsea and this place sounds like my new haunt.

Smithfield's on 28th between 7th and 8th. Pretty decent bar for the area, and the food's not bad either.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What ever happened to Catch 22? Permanent Revolution came out 6 years ago. They're just playing sporadic shows here and there. They need to get back in the studio.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

guppy posted:

Lots of dumb stuff in this article, but: new, self-titled Sonic Boom Six album out October 15.
It must just be a reflex but whenever I read a ska band saying "we want to be more accessible and popular" I get that Jedi Force twinge.

Like, "oh gently caress the album's going to be half dubstep and run through a compressor five times, isn't it."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Quest For Glory II posted:

It must just be a reflex but whenever I read a ska band saying "we want to be more accessible and popular" I get that Jedi Force twinge.

Like, "oh gently caress the album's going to be half dubstep and run through a compressor five times, isn't it."

SB6 has had some great stuff and some awful stuff, only time will tell which this is.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

WaffleZombie posted:

Seriously guys, Edna's Goldfish is reuniting (again), and I have tickets. Sucks that it's a Sunday night, and I live in Delaware. Guess I'm taking off Monday. So in a two and a half year span I will have seen Spring Heeled Jack, The Pietasters, Slapstick, the Chinkees, Slow Gherkin, Buck-O-Nine, The Impossibles, Edna's Goldfish, and slightly less notably since they never went away Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, The Aquabats, and Big D and the Kids Table. And this was May 2010 to October 2012, not 1997-1999. What the hell?

In other news, new Bruce Lee Band with BtMI backing? HOLY poo poo.

I too am in Delaware. We should hook up so you can tell me about shows. You didnt try to buy RBF albums at the BX from me, did you?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

jetgrindeggy posted:

What ever happened to Catch 22? Permanent Revolution came out 6 years ago. They're just playing sporadic shows here and there. They need to get back in the studio.

I made a faulty assumption that people in New Jersey would be a little more aware of a band called Streetlight Manifesto but as it turn out everybody loving hates them and like Catch 22. But only the first album. Also they are playing with Less Than Jake next month.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I made a faulty assumption that people in New Jersey would be a little more aware of a band called Streetlight Manifesto but as it turn out everybody loving hates them and like Catch 22. But only the first album. Also they are playing with Less Than Jake next month.

I never understood the hate for post-Keasbey Catch. It's no Streetlight, sure, but Alone In a Crowd and Permanent Revolution are pretty solid albums. People just can't seem to get over Tomas leaving the band. I've seen Catch 22 a few times and they always put on a solid show.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I never understood the hate for post-Keasbey Catch. It's no Streetlight, sure, but Alone In a Crowd and Permanent Revolution are pretty solid albums. People just can't seem to get over Tomas leaving the band. I've seen Catch 22 a few times and they always put on a solid show.

They are like Reel Big Fish, in that, no matter what you think of the albums the live show kicks rear end. Both Dinosaur Sounds and Permanent Revolution could have been ep's for how many songs I liked off them. I really wish they would do an instrumental album. When they dont stop for lyrics their songs loving own.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

crazkylo posted:

Saw streetlight at warped tour, it was probably the most fun I've had at a show thusfar. They where the only band that I saw that got an encore.

Thomas said they would be back in Boston this year around October or November for the release of their new album. Hopefully I can get out to see them again.

If that means I have to wait until October for that loving album...

Edit: God dammit. October OR November...see you guys in April.

mogran fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 24, 2012

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I really like Dinosaur Sounds. Not as much as Keasbey Nights or Permanent Revolution, but more than Alone In A Crowd (which, if you ask me, is a few really really good songs and a lot of filler) and Washed Up And Through The Ringer, which I think we can all agree shouldn't exist at all. Wine Stained Lips has one of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

jetgrindeggy posted:

I really like Dinosaur Sounds. Not as much as Keasbey Nights or Permanent Revolution, but more than Alone In A Crowd (which, if you ask me, is a few really really good songs and a lot of filler) and Washed Up And Through The Ringer, which I think we can all agree shouldn't exist at all. Wine Stained Lips has one of my all-time favorite guitar solos.

I like Dinosaur Sounds a fair bit musically but the lyrics are atrocious. I just pretend they don't exist.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm probably in the minority with this thought, but I enjoy Alone in the Crowd almost as much I enjoy Keasbey. C22 does need to record a new album however. They can still crank out some good songs with the best of them

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

DOOP posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this thought, but I enjoy Alone in the Crowd almost as much I enjoy Keasbey.

:stare:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Alone in a Crowd is pretty great

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
So just looked at the rest of the bill for the Bosstones show in Webster Hall on the 6th, and saw the Have Nots are playing with them. Never heard them before, checked them out and holy crap, I really like them. Reminds me of Leftover Crack or SFH without Stza's harsh vocals. Really looking forward to the show now :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beowulf posted:

So just looked at the rest of the bill for the Bosstones show in Webster Hall on the 6th, and saw the Have Nots are playing with them. Never heard them before, checked them out and holy crap, I really like them. Reminds me of Leftover Crack or SFH without Stza's harsh vocals. Really looking forward to the show now :)

Have Nots are awesome, even more so now that they have a second album and therefore have more than 10 songs to rotate out between shows. They've always reminded me of the Suicide Machines, in a good way.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Have Nots are really rad. Also check out Stray Bullets, Jon's (lead singer) first band. They had a reunion a few months ago and will be playing at Skalapalooza in Boston. So rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01meclaSeaY

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Beowulf posted:

Now I'm even more jealous you bastard :mad:

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Figured I'd give a heads up to ska fans who live around the Southwest area that a Hawaii ska/punk/reggae band called Black Square is touring there right about now. Apparently they're in Utah today, then go to Colorado, then New Mexico and will work their way back to the West Coast, ending in San Francisco.

https://www.facebook.com/blacksquareband

Hawaii is a weird musical landscape, but I consider Black Square to be one of the better bands. I suppose it's because they have more of a bass-driven reggae type of sound rather than a racing guitar-driven sound. So there you go, in case anyone who might be near them want to experience a band from Hawaii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBWVz6t7S4

edit: durr i can uze bbcode

Battle Rockers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2012

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's pretty sweet even if the video is goofy as hell.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Yeah it's a stupid video but good song.

Anyone here live in the midwest? There's a show tonight in Des Moines with an Omaha ska band called The Bishops and a Minneapolis band called The Dropsteppers. It'll be near The Underground venue if I'm not mistaken. I just saw The Bishops for the first time last night and they rip it up, so I'm looking forward to tonight.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ok I've seen them live twice now, and BTMI! needs to have their instrument privileges revoked. So bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Get out of my house you son of a bitch.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The best part about seeing Bomb the Music Industry! live is that everything is just an inch away of turning into a mess but it's super awesome because of it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Ok I've seen them live twice now, and BTMI! needs to have their instrument privileges revoked. So bad.

If you don't like it, get up on stage and show them how its done.

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I'm a fan of BTMI but last night was the first time I've seen them live. They were awesome but it's like Monty Python formed a punk band. I wasn't very impressed by the Have Nots though. I liked what they had on youtube but I didn't feel like anything from their music videos carried over into their live show. That said, I have seen far worse opening bands.

The Bosstones have put on my favorite ska show yet, but did anybody else at that show notice the number of children in the crowd. I counted at least three kids that couldn't have been more than 6 years old. However, there was also a dad there with his son, who was a bit older, probably 10 or 12. They were wearing matching plaid jackets :3:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
When I saw the Bosstones I was talking to this lady who was there with her 16ish daughter and the lady was like "The last time I saw the Bosstones I was pregnant with her."

I gave her a high five for being the coolest mom imaginable.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Seeing them tomorrow at Webster Hall. So excited

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Talking about Bomb, here's their cover of Little Boxes from the start of Weeds last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRgZoP2XVFU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

jetgrindeggy posted:

If you don't like it, get up on stage and show them how its done.

I don't know how to play their instruments either so I wouldn't be any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I don't know how to play their instruments either so I wouldn't be any better

But can you sing?

(It's okay Jeff can't either but that makes it better!)