Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
They are showing mm/hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is ikea's pricing so all over the map? A bunch of their stuff will be priced extremely cheap and similar items will cost significantly more. I assumed that the pricing was based on materials used but pretty much all of it is made from particle board, even the expensive stuff.

For example, This nightstand is made out of bamboo and costs 15 bucks. This nightstand is made of particle board and is $150. Seems like a huge price gap between 2 items that seem like they should cost similar prices.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 5, 2012

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Tickets to a low budget indie flick and a summer blockbuster cost the same amount, which shows that material costs only indirectly influence market price. The ikea prices are more likely to be influenced by one of their analysts calculating how much people are willing to pay for the unit in each market.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Meat Recital posted:

It's from the Wheel of Time series of books. The True Source is the power of creation, and source of all magic. The Weave is basically destiny, or fate.

Yeah. I was just hoping that a random goon would also have played on either of those MUDs.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

dokmo posted:

Tickets to a low budget indie flick and a summer blockbuster cost the same amount, which shows that material costs only indirectly influence market price.

Well, if you really want to be pedantic, this isn't obvious at all, because low budget indie flicks rarely have wide distribution and need to earn a larger proportion of its budget from each ticket, and a lot of the ticket price has to do with the theater facility, not the movie.

In the absence of competitive advantage, prices will tend to reach equilibrium just above costs. A company can only charge a price premium when it has a difficult-to-replicate competitive advantage, which could be brand efficiency, intellectual property, effective monopoly, regulatory or legal barriers to entry. Business types call this a "moat".

In the case of that Ikea item, there's substantially more materials in the 2nd item, particular (from reading the description) specialized hardware. It's also possible that item requires more labor on Ikea's part. It's certainly heavier, and will cost them more to ship.

Ikea does have some competitive advantages in branding, intellectual property, scale, and operational efficiency, although the latter is not an especially deep moat.

There's also pricing strategy to consider. Companies often offer items below cost, or even give things away free, in order to get you into the store so you spend money on more profitable items. Microsoft originally lost money on XBox consoles hoping to make it up on game sales, and McDonald's lets you park and piss for free so they can sell you a $2 coke that costs them pennies.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

Why is ikea's pricing so all over the map? A bunch of their stuff will be priced extremely cheap and similar items will cost significantly more. I assumed that the pricing was based on materials used but pretty much all of it is made from particle board, even the expensive stuff.

For example, This nightstand is made out of bamboo and costs 15 bucks. This nightstand is made of particle board and is $150. Seems like a huge price gap between 2 items that seem like they should cost similar prices.
That bamboo one is a few sticks and weighs a total of 5 pounds, and has no finish / laminate. Shipping weight and volume is negligiblly small: ~360cubic inches and 5 lbs.

The laminate one that has all the sides and not just sticks is 50 pounds and takes up 2275 cubic inches.

10x the weight, 6x the shipping volume, probably more than 10x the manufacturing cost: 10x the cost makes sense.

Assembled size is meaningless. Bamboo and particle board is cheap, but I bet the laminate on the particle board costs more than either. And shipping/packaging cost is probably up there as well. poo poo comes a long way from lingonberry and meatball moon, after all.

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 5, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tarepanda posted:

Yeah. I was just hoping that a random goon would also have played on either of those MUDs.

You might have better luck asking in the MUD thread, then.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Toriori posted:

I'm going to a traditional Indian wedding tomorrow. Are there any customs or such I should be aware of?

Make sure to paint your Timberland's black, get a nose-ring while drunk on schnapps, and stuff your sorrys in a sack.

Good luck, Jugdish!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ToxicFrog posted:

You might have better luck asking in the MUD thread, then.

oh, thanks!

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Toriori posted:

I'm going to a traditional Indian wedding tomorrow. Are there any customs or such I should be aware of?

Personal experience of 1 Indian wedding suggests you will be made to dance, whether or not you want to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was going to ask this in the general thread on GWS (hell, I accidentally posted this in the CD general thread without realizing it, heh) but that thread seems more about preparing food, so I'm posting it here:

What the hell is with the "Never Put Ketchup On A Steak" crowd? What is the reasoning behind the opinion?

Every time someone sees me make a small ketchup blob on a steak plate for dipping, I get grief for it. Challenging them to explain why it's wrong is like trying to challenge a die-hard NHL fan into explaining why fighting is important to the sport: they can't explain why, get on the cusp of realizing that, and retreating back to the Broad Boilerplate Assertion.

Steak is tasty and delicious. Ketchup is tasty and delicious. Combine the two together makes something doubly tasty and delicious. I'm told A1 is the Appropriate Substance, but the Complete And Utter Change In Taste folks claim is... well, not entirely accurate.

I just want to understand, but it's the ultimate :iiam: for me. It's not like I'm slathering the steak in the stuff; I just put a little blob on my plate and get a thin layer of the stuff on each bite.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

MisterBibs posted:

I was going to ask this in the general thread on GWS (hell, I accidentally posted this in the CD general thread without realizing it, heh) but that thread seems more about preparing food, so I'm posting it here:

What the hell is with the "Never Put Ketchup On A Steak" crowd? What is the reasoning behind the opinion?

Every time someone sees me make a small ketchup blob on a steak plate for dipping, I get grief for it. Challenging them to explain why it's wrong is like trying to challenge a die-hard NHL fan into explaining why fighting is important to the sport: they can't explain why, get on the cusp of realizing that, and retreating back to the Broad Boilerplate Assertion.

Steak is tasty and delicious. Ketchup is tasty and delicious. Combine the two together makes something doubly tasty and delicious. I'm told A1 is the Appropriate Substance, but the Complete And Utter Change In Taste folks claim is... well, not entirely accurate.

I just want to understand, but it's the ultimate :iiam: for me. It's not like I'm slathering the steak in the stuff; I just put a little blob on my plate and get a thin layer of the stuff on each bite.

The logic is: steak is tasty and delicious. Ketchup is an acceptable condiment, at best. If you put ketchup on your steak, it masks the flavor of the steak to an unacceptable degree.

Objectively, it's your steak, and you can eat it however you want. Hell, get it well-done if you're dead set on it. You're just not getting the "optimal" steak-eating experience.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Pogo the Clown posted:

Personal experience of 1 Indian wedding suggests you will be made to dance, whether or not you want to.

Yeah. Hope you like bhangra!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9qvCTdBLDs

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Base Emitter posted:

In the absence of competitive advantage, prices will tend to reach equilibrium just above costs.

Luckily my retail experience is nothing like this. Keystone has a meaning for a reason.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dokmo posted:

They are showing mm/hour.

So are they just being ridiculously conservative with their forecasts or am I remembering wrong what the rain was like when I had a bucket and a ruler in the backyard?

Because 1, it seems like a very fine distinction to make between 1.73mm and 2.15mm; that's like saying very very very little rain or very very little rain. And 2, the highest amount forecasted I remember seeing is like 14-18mm and those were extremely heavy rain days. When I was growing up we'd get half an inch or an inch in an hour, I can't imagine that it was really 10-20 times the volume of what I saw here.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What was Hitler's body weight?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

greazeball posted:

So are they just being ridiculously conservative with their forecasts or am I remembering wrong what the rain was like when I had a bucket and a ruler in the backyard?

Because 1, it seems like a very fine distinction to make between 1.73mm and 2.15mm; that's like saying very very very little rain or very very little rain. And 2, the highest amount forecasted I remember seeing is like 14-18mm and those were extremely heavy rain days. When I was growing up we'd get half an inch or an inch in an hour, I can't imagine that it was really 10-20 times the volume of what I saw here.

Couple points:

First, this season isn't exactly your best bet for having rainfall that matches what you saw when you were a kid. Rainfall is down this year all over the world.

Second, Weather Underground caters to weather junkies, who want to know very specific details about forecasts and weather patterns. The difference between 1.73mm and 2.15mm isn't a lot to you, but it's significant to Weather Underground's target audience.

Third, half an inch is 12.7mm; 18mm (the top of the highest range you've ever seen forecast) is just shy of 3/4". So it's not really that much less than you used to see as a kid.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Not to undermine anything, but why is there so much focus being put on the (Mars) Curiosity mission & landing more so than any of the past rovers? Is it any different, or is there just more public, online support?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Travakian posted:

Not to undermine anything, but why is there so much focus being put on the (Mars) Curiosity mission & landing more so than any of the past rovers? Is it any different, or is there just more public, online support?

It's much bigger and more expensive than older rovers, and NASA has high hopes for it. But some stations are wondering why we've lost so much interest in space exploration (the Twitter page for Curiosity only has some 300,000 followers compared to millions of followers for celebrities.)

Scratch that... 192,000 followers.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 5, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Travakian posted:

NASA seems to have gotten better at PR in general, and on top of that Curiosity is a much larger, heavier, more capable and more expensive rover with a new and terrifying landing system.

WillieWestwood posted:

But some stations are wondering why we've lost so much interest in space exploration (the Twitter page for Curiosity only has some 300,000 followers compared to millions of followers for celebrities.)

At a guess, because a lot of us grew up expecting that we'd have a moonbase by now, and instead the NASA budget has been repeatedly slashed, the space shuttle failed to live up to its promise and has now been discontinued with no replacement, and it's looking like we'll have to turn to private corporations to get anything done in space outside of LEO other than the occasional unmanned probe.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This is also the first rover of the age of social media- Spirit and Opportunity were launched in 2003 (and one of them is still working!)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What is the Chinese for "vermin"? More specifically, the "vermin" as used in English translations of Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Travakian posted:

I remember there being a ton of media coverage and online chatter for the last set of rovers too. They were pretty popular.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

eating only apples posted:

What is the Chinese for "vermin"? More specifically, the "vermin" as used in English translations of Kafka's Metamorphosis.

Ask here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444259

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Besesoth posted:

Couple points:

First, this season isn't exactly your best bet for having rainfall that matches what you saw when you were a kid. Rainfall is down this year all over the world.

Second, Weather Underground caters to weather junkies, who want to know very specific details about forecasts and weather patterns. The difference between 1.73mm and 2.15mm isn't a lot to you, but it's significant to Weather Underground's target audience.

Third, half an inch is 12.7mm; 18mm (the top of the highest range you've ever seen forecast) is just shy of 3/4". So it's not really that much less than you used to see as a kid.

Thanks for the detailed response. So it seems that on top of a selective memory, I am still terrible at imperial to metric conversion (after 9 years :sigh:)!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My grandparents mailed me a check for my birthday, but I'm currently living 18 hours away from the nearest branch. They have an e-deposit option, but I need to scan both sides of the check, and I currently don't have a scanner. 2 questions with this: 1) would well-lit cell-phone pictures work? (I'm assuming NO), and 2) Are there any stores that have scanners available for brief use?

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

GobiasIndustries posted:

My grandparents mailed me a check for my birthday, but I'm currently living 18 hours away from the nearest branch. They have an e-deposit option, but I need to scan both sides of the check, and I currently don't have a scanner. 2 questions with this: 1) would well-lit cell-phone pictures work? (I'm assuming NO), and 2) Are there any stores that have scanners available for brief use?

I'm not sure if you have a smart phone or not, but I use PayPal Check Capture to cash my checks for this reason. It's free.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GobiasIndustries posted:

It'd probably work if your cell camera is decent and you light/frame/focus it right. My bank has an option to deposit checks by taking a pic with a cell camera using their app. There's that paypal thing guy above mentioned too.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Titan Coeus posted:

I'm not sure if you have a smart phone or not, but I use PayPal Check Capture to cash my checks for this reason. It's free.

That is..awesome, actually! I rarely use paypal but I just downloaded the app and 'deposited' the check no problem! Hopefully it all works out, thanks!

randyest posted:

It'd probably work if your cell camera is decent and you light/frame/focus it right. My bank has an option to deposit checks by taking a pic with a cell camera using their app. There's that paypal thing guy above mentioned too.

If the paypal thing doesn't work I'll try just snapping some photos and uploading them to the bank. I figured a scanner was required for photo sharpness & accuracy, but I can't imagine my iPhone 4S won't do a good enough job.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Just a tiny thing - when I tip at a restaurant, I'm generally doing it on the credit card slip. I don't carry cash almost ever. When I do that I round it up to the nearest whole number that puts the tip at or above 20%. I suddenly started worrying if this actually makes things difficult for my server. Do they have to take the money out of the till and count out all $0.73 or $0.96 or whatever the extra change is? Or do they take their tips out at the end of the day and it's all mixed together anyway? If it makes things difficult then I'll just start tipping whole numbers.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Psalmanazar posted:

What was Hitler's body weight?

Still wanna know this guys. I've been weightlifting and I want to measure my squats in Hitlers.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Supposedly compressed air at close range on skin can cause an embolism. Does this apply to industrial strength tools using compressed air only, or the cans you use to clean out your computer as well? (note: I am not trying to murder anyone, just find the safest method to dust poo poo). What about an electric duster that just uses a motor?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Beichan posted:

Just a tiny thing - when I tip at a restaurant, I'm generally doing it on the credit card slip. I don't carry cash almost ever. When I do that I round it up to the nearest whole number that puts the tip at or above 20%. I suddenly started worrying if this actually makes things difficult for my server. Do they have to take the money out of the till and count out all $0.73 or $0.96 or whatever the extra change is? Or do they take their tips out at the end of the day and it's all mixed together anyway? If it makes things difficult then I'll just start tipping whole numbers.

We are giving the total of all our charge card tips at the end of the shift, usually.

Depending on the restaurant, we either cash out each check as we go (in which case we get the cash tips right away, including loose change for the 'keep the change' cash payers), or we carry our own 'bank' which means at the end of the night we print a charge detail report, and whatever that dollar total is we do not have to pay out at the end of the shift.

Either way the loose change is no big deal as we can usually sell it right back or if we are carrying our own bank, we just give it out and get it back on a rotating basis.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

Supposedly compressed air at close range on skin can cause an embolism. Does this apply to industrial strength tools using compressed air only, or the cans you use to clean out your computer as well? (note: I am not trying to murder anyone, just find the safest method to dust poo poo). What about an electric duster that just uses a motor?

To get an embolism you have to introduce air into the circulatory system. So the compressed air is dangerous not because it is compressed but because it can potentially push with enough force to break skin and drive air into the circulatory system. A dust can could cause an embolism only if the nozzle was placed inside an open wound or other body cavity.

Fun fact: blowing into a women's area can similarly cause an embolism. (the documented cases are during pregnancy) Again not the compressed aspect, but the air inside the body aspect is the issue.

So making your girl queef seems fun until it kills her from an arteial gas embolism. Despite the first hit on google being Snopes, where people throw out a bunch of nonsense , follow the links in the actual academic journal articles. Again not compressed air, just air inside the body.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

kapalama posted:

We are giving the total of all our charge card tips at the end of the shift, usually.

Depending on the restaurant, we either cash out each check as we go (in which case we get the cash tips right away, including loose change for the 'keep the change' cash payers), or we carry our own 'bank' which means at the end of the night we print a charge detail report, and whatever that dollar total is we do not have to pay out at the end of the shift.

Either way the loose change is no big deal as we can usually sell it right back or if we are carrying our own bank, we just give it out and get it back on a rotating basis.

Cool, thank you for the quick answer. I feel better.

uptown
May 16, 2009
I posted a while ago in Critterquest but nobody responded - Can someone ID this spider for me? I found him in Italy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there any way I can find full episodes of QI as an american?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Just search on youtube, they were pretty much all on there last I checked.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
For those of you with browsers that support it, can anyone tell me what this text effect is?
o҉r҉a҉n҉g҉e҉

For those who can't see it, it's basically each letter surrounded by little comma spokes like rays in a circle.

What's the Unicode for making that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

nemesis_hub posted:

Compressed air for industrial use is typically at 80-100 psi. Air duster cans dont expel anywhere near that pressure (and also dont technically use air). I dont know much about electric dusters, but I very much doubt they would produce 80psi. There should be a rating plate on the duster telling you what kind of pressures it can produce.

For reference, this is what 100psi can do. Air pressure is not something to gently caress around with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTU5Ts7lnNM

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 6, 2012