Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

simosimo posted:

Royal mail couldn't deliver my parcel because it was too big

Royal Mail can't handle your enormous package :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

simosimo posted:

We have have a Large post box for parcels which get left in there right outside our front door. If a 50x50cm box can fit in there a French press box certainly can.

Maybe not if a conscientious shipper packed your purchase (which is made of glass) well.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
As per some of your instructions, I have been scouring craigslist for a decent espresso grinder and finally hit on a "Rosito Bisani" grinder for $150. I will email for more information, but is this at all promising?

It is hard to tell from the single crap picture what model it is, but it looks to be in a commercial setting and has a doser.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bfs/3141925801.html

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Kaluza-Klein posted:

As per some of your instructions, I have been scouring craigslist for a decent espresso grinder and finally hit on a "Rosito Bisani" grinder for $150. I will email for more information, but is this at all promising?

It is hard to tell from the single crap picture what model it is, but it looks to be in a commercial setting and has a doser.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bfs/3141925801.html

Looks like the exact one we use at my work for espresso, and it does a drat fine job. Might be a little overkill for home use, but it's a good price. It's loud too, so keep that in mind if that's an issue. Ours have a grind catching tray where the indent is on the bottom, but you don't necessarily need it. Also it's kind of a pain to adjust if you're going to be switching between different types of grind, but if you just want to dial it in to make delicious espresso, shouldn't be a problem.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, I'm trying to make something that I don't think has been done before (as far as I can tell).

The background is that beergas/nitro in the beer world is a mix of 75/25% nitrogen and co2 that's used to carbonate and then push certain kinds of beer. Guinness is the obvious popular one, but it was invented to try and emulate british cask ale.
It makes everything creamier and smoother, and the faucets used have little tiny restrictor plates that bring out a big creamy head.

I also really like cold brewed coffee, so I figured I might as well make a couple gallons of coffee and toss it into a keg and carbonate it with nitro. I'm hoping that it still pushes a creamy head and smooths everything out. Since only the co2 goes into solution, it will be a very low carbonation.

Has anybody ever heard of somebody doing this before? Many different google searches haven't yielded anything except a few people using sodastreams (100% co2) with the conclusion of "eh well that was a thing."

My qualms consist of coffee staling during the ~1-2 week carbonation period (although it's in a zero oxygen environment, and 36 degrees f), and just that the nitrogen mix doesn't bring out anything worthwhile or tasty.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

For those of you that have shattered multiple bodum coffee presses, Target is now selling a 32oz press for $12. Looks, feels, and operates roughly the same.

I've been using a French Press for the past 10 years and I just bought a Hario Skerton burr grinder. Now I hate my coffee. All of the chocolateyness and depth has disappeared, which is an insult after hand grinding for several minutes. I've read about the diy mods for the skerton due to the inconsistencies with the coarse grind for a press, but given how it tastes without the modificationI can't really see it improving beyond what my whirly blade grinder was putting out. Any other skeleton owners in here want to speak up about their experience before I send mine back?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got an Aeropress for my sister and also got some pre-ground local artisan coffee to go with it. I told the guy to grind it between an espresso and a drip grind, but it looks like he still did it way too fine, because the first time she tried using it, neither of us could actually press it down all the way--it seems that the filter was clogged up by the fine grind.

Is there any way to salvage this $18 pound of coffee? Or some other trick with an Aeropress to maybe get around this problem?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

404notfound posted:

Is there any way to salvage this $18 pound of coffee? Or some other trick with an Aeropress to maybe get around this problem?

You could try mixing it with a courser grind? Really though, you just have it so fine it's going to cause issues regardless, and be a bit bitter on top of that. I've only ever seen it recommended to grind it yourself and play around until you find a sweet spot, but if anyone else has any ideas...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

404notfound posted:

I got an Aeropress for my sister and also got some pre-ground local artisan coffee to go with it. I told the guy to grind it between an espresso and a drip grind, but it looks like he still did it way too fine, because the first time she tried using it, neither of us could actually press it down all the way--it seems that the filter was clogged up by the fine grind.

If you can't find a way to use it you can use it for cold brew... put it in a pitcher 1:2 ratio in volume coffee to water, stir, leave at room temperature for a day, filter through strainer, filter through paper filter/paper towel, water down to desired strength before drinking.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I am (now) a cold brew coffee fiend, so I will second that recommendation. Lots of different ways to do it, too. You can pretty much use anything you have lying around the house for it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I didn't even think about that and I was actually filtering out some cold brew as I made that response.

That's definitely the way to go to keep that from going to waste, you can even get acceptable cold brew coffee out of terribly old stuff.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I recently unearthed the unused chemex and cone I was gifted, and have decided to dive in to the hobby(?). I'd need a grinder first I think, I just don't know which. I usually just use an old moka pot to make some cuban coffee, which I use a preground bag, and I'd like to try some fresh grinds on that as well. From what I can tell I'd need a grinder that can do pour over and espresso grind, so I'd need the Preciso at least?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Quixotic1 posted:

I recently unearthed the unused chemex and cone I was gifted, and have decided to dive in to the hobby(?). I'd need a grinder first I think, I just don't know which. I usually just use an old moka pot to make some cuban coffee, which I use a preground bag, and I'd like to try some fresh grinds on that as well. From what I can tell I'd need a grinder that can do pour over and espresso grind, so I'd need the Preciso at least?

For "proper" espresso as I understand it you'll want a higher end grinder. The Preciso looks to be in between the "entry-level" and espresso-recommended grinders in the op. (ed: actually it isn't that much less than the Rocky new. It is less than the Vario but I don't know exactly what the differences between the various Baratzas are.) If you're looking to eventually buy an espresso machine it may be worth the investment now, otherwise a cheaper model may be good enough for a moka pot. Someone else should know better about that. Anyway if you decide to go with an Encore (formerly Maestro) or Preciso Baratza has refurbs in stock ($85 and $239 respectively). (ed: Encore's actually out.)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Coffee carbonated with 70/30 nitrogen/co2 phase 1 is complete. It did actually pour with a creamy head, carbonation in the coffee was incredibly low as hoped.

As for flavor, I used a way too strong Nicaraguan that just didn't work cold brewed.

Next phase is going to be a Panamanian. Possibly I'm going to try adding some lactose, which isn't very sweet at all but adds a lot of mouthfeel and body, perhaps furthering the illusion of creamy with the nitrogen.
Possibly maltodextrin, too.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 29, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

No Wave posted:

If you can't find a way to use it you can use it for cold brew... put it in a pitcher 1:2 ratio in volume coffee to water, stir, leave at room temperature for a day, filter through strainer, filter through paper filter/paper towel, water down to desired strength before drinking.

Cool, thanks. Haven't tried cold brewing at all before, but I'll let my sister know to try it out. Might work out a little better for these hot summer months.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone here ever used a filter basket to brew coffee? I just recently bought one of these, only planning to use it for tea, but have started using it for my coffee as well. It's fantastic.

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

dik-dik posted:

Anyone here ever used a filter basket to brew coffee? I just recently bought one of these, only planning to use it for tea, but have started using it for my coffee as well. It's fantastic.

Yeah, I did this regularly for a few years at my job. It worked, but it left mad fines in the cup, was a bit messy and took ages to brew, so I was never totally happy with it to be honest...

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does anyone have a good measure for g/mL of grounds to water for French Press? I've been eyeballing it most of the time (plus I'm not picky) but I'd like to have a jumping off point for measuring my coffee by weight instead of volume.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I usually use 1:16 coffee-to-water ratio; 50g coffee and 800g water in a 4-cup french press.

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone have a good measure for g/mL of grounds to water for French Press? I've been eyeballing it most of the time (plus I'm not picky) but I'd like to have a jumping off point for measuring my coffee by weight instead of volume.

Go from anywhere in between 60 - 75 g/L brew ratio. I prefer the 75 g/L and grind slightly coarser. Using the ratio I usually do 25 g of coffee with approx 333 ml of water.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Alright bare with me, I feel stupid for saying this but this thought occured to me. Has anyone ever made a true automatic pour over? I realize first off, a pour over's main advantage is the control you have over pour, temperature, pacing etc. but has anyone ever made a basic automatic boiler, that pours at the perfect and amount, as well as slightly pouring in circles in to the center of a cone style pour over?

Im pretty new to pourovers and my basic setup is a bonavita kettle, V60 with filters, 65 g/L ratio, pouring in circles slowly until saturated, waiting 45sec, then pouring slowly in circles (riding the bloom) until the set weight on a scale. I feel like maybe my method is super simple that Im just surprised why something so simple couldnt be made automatic. I know a drip machine is basically this but doesn't a drip machine slowly and unevenly saturate grounds in a basket thus making an uneven extraction?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

swagger like us posted:

Alright bare with me, I feel stupid for saying this but this thought occured to me. Has anyone ever made a true automatic pour over? I realize first off, a pour over's main advantage is the control you have over pour, temperature, pacing etc. but has anyone ever made a basic automatic boiler, that pours at the perfect and amount, as well as slightly pouring in circles in to the center of a cone style pour over?

Im pretty new to pourovers and my basic setup is a bonavita kettle, V60 with filters, 65 g/L ratio, pouring in circles slowly until saturated, waiting 45sec, then pouring slowly in circles (riding the bloom) until the set weight on a scale. I feel like maybe my method is super simple that Im just surprised why something so simple couldnt be made automatic. I know a drip machine is basically this but doesn't a drip machine slowly and unevenly saturate grounds in a basket thus making an uneven extraction?

I frequently have coffee from this coffee maker:

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/bonavita_glass_coffee_maker.html

Except I replace the carafe and filter with this:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#kone-coffee-filter

And this:

http://ablebrewing.com/collections/products/#chemex-coffee-maker

And it's awesome.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

swagger like us posted:

http://brazencoffeebrewer.com is close..

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have a 16oz mason jar. How much coffee should I put in order to make good cold brew? I've read multiple different blog posts which offer varying ratios. Should it be drip fineness on the grind? Would 12 hours in the fridge be enough time to extract it all?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I have a 16oz mason jar. How much coffee should I put in order to make good cold brew? I've read multiple different blog posts which offer varying ratios. Should it be drip fineness on the grind? Would 12 hours in the fridge be enough time to extract it all?
I did 12 hours in fridge and it wasn't great - I think Serious Eats let me down. I'm going to make a go of 24 hours at room temp soon and we'll see how it goes.

Also that's not a whole lot to do given that it keeps for 2 weeks.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

I did 12 hours in fridge and it wasn't great - I think Serious Eats let me down. I'm going to make a go of 24 hours at room temp soon and we'll see how it goes.

Also that's not a whole lot to do given that it keeps for 2 weeks.

Oh I know. I have several mason jars, but I want to do a proof of concept before I do larger amounts of it.

What ratio do we think?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Oh I know. I have several mason jars, but I want to do a proof of concept before I do larger amounts of it.

What ratio do we think?
Word. I've only brewed once but I'm going to try the American Test Kitchen recipe next (tomorrow).

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

The dude says 1:1 by volume but honestly that seems low to me and the recipe calls for dilution afterwards anyways so I'm gonna do 1:3 by volume. That way I can just pour it right into ice.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

Word. I've only brewed once but I'm going to try the American Test Kitchen recipe next (tomorrow).

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

The dude says 1:1 by volume but honestly that seems low to me and the recipe calls for dilution afterwards anyways so I'm gonna do 1:3 by volume. That way I can just pour it right into ice.

Sounds good, just tried a 3:1 ratio. Hope it's good tomorrow :)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I do 3:1 water to coffee and just leave it on the counter overnight, which is usually like 8-10 hours. You can put it in the fridge, but it would probably need more than 12 hours. I pour the room temp coffee over ice and top with milk, between the ice and the cold milk, the drink is plenty cold so the room temp coffee isn't an issue.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I do 4:1 water to coffee by weight for a strong concentrate, which usually needs about a 3:1 dilution to get to regular strength (as tested on the refractomter/sperg-o-meter). The grind size doesn't have an enormous effect on this type of brewing, and most of the extraction is in the first little bit, so 24 hours isn't really necessary.

I prefer to to sieve, sift, and filter cold brew through a paper filter, because I think gritty iced coffee is nasty. It can take a long time to go through paper, because the fines tend to sink to the bottom and clog up the filter.

Some of the science isn't too accurate, but this method makes pretty nice low-dilution cold brew for when you don't want a strong concentrate.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
My fellow coffee loving goons, I have a dilemma. At work all we have are these lovely K-Cup things. My god, whatever rear end in a top hat invented those needs to be dragged out back and shot. Yes, the simplicity of them is awesome, but at the same time it's just mass produced crap coffee and NONE OF IT IS GOOD. I could go on about these fuckers for a long time, but that would lead to a whole :can:

Anyway, I usually like to drink one cup during the day at a totally random time (one day it might be at 10am and the next day it might be at 3pm, which is completely irrelevant). My question for you goons is, what should I use to make a single cup of non-poo poo coffee while I'm at work? Just put a few scoops of my favorite grounds into a drip machine?

ps. I just went to a Fairway grocery store for the first time and discovered their coffee bean area, my god is it awesome :hawaaaafap:

Shapiro
Jun 27, 2005

a jealous female can be tricked into anything
I'd definitely recommend the AeroPress. It makes some tasty coffee, is easy to use and clean up, and doesn't take up a lot of room.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Well that's quite the interesting contraption, it's like abong but you make coffee with it. Seems like a decent product and at $25 is worth a shot. Thanks!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

GramCracker posted:

My question for you goons is, what should I use to make a single cup of non-poo poo coffee while I'm at work? Just put a few scoops of my favorite grounds into a drip machine?

Why not make some in the morning and throw it in a good thermos? It's never quite as good as freshly brewed, but it will likely end up being better than what you brew at work without access to decent grinder. My thermos keeps things very hot for a good 8 hours.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GramCracker posted:

Anyway, I usually like to drink one cup during the day at a totally random time (one day it might be at 10am and the next day it might be at 3pm, which is completely irrelevant). My question for you goons is, what should I use to make a single cup of non-poo poo coffee while I'm at work? Just put a few scoops of my favorite grounds into a drip machine?

There's always the option of a reusable, refillable k-cup.

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI

mystes
May 31, 2006

marmot25 posted:

It's never quite as good as freshly brewed, but it will likely end up being better than what you brew at work without access to decent grinder.
Why would you do this rather than grinding it in the morning and then brewing it at work? Grinding in advance may not be optimal but it's sure got to be better than brewing in advance.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah that's a good idea; if you prepare a reusable k-cup in the morning it would be extremely convenient to use it in the machine at work. Normally the reusable k-cups aren't that popular because they sort of defeat the point of the machine but in this case it saves you having to use your own drip cone, aeropress, or french press.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 7, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
K-cup machines blow because they add to the weakness of a drip machine (bad water temps/not enough brew time) by adding an additional problem in having too little coffee grounds and not enough space for the grounds to expand.

Reusable K-cups are fine if you like the taste of K-cups to begin with (in which case, this thread may not be for you), but if you think K-cups taste like rear end, reusable K-cups are just as bad.

An Aeropress or making a great cup at home and popping it into a thermos will probably be your best bet. Heck, cold brew might even be your thing; it'd be easy to make a big batch of cold brew and stick it in the work fridge.

EDIT: Brewing coffee in advance is fine. Extracting all the good stuff from coffee is very dependent on water temps and extraction time, but once you brew it well and toss it into a good vacuum thermos immediately, you don't really lose much by keeping it in the thermos. Sure, it won't be as hot as freshly brewed, but that's about it. Grinding in advance increases the surface area of the bean dramatically, releases volatile oils and aromas which disparate fairly quickly, and is therefore to be avoided at all costs. Well brewed coffee in a good vacuum thermos will have those volatile oils and aromas properly extracted in the brew, and the brew won't lose those wonderful smells and oils much so long as it's sealed well in the thermos.

pnumoman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 7, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

These pretty much defeat the purpose and convenience of a keurig. If you're going to grind and use your own coffee, you might as well get a CCD or an aeropress so you can control temperature and steep time, too. Clean up for these two is significantly easier than the reusable k-cup. For the CCD, you don't even need to do anything but dump the grounds and filter in the trash.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I haven't tried this little device since getting into coffee properly, but it has the advantage of making coffee as easy as tea, which in the UK is very handy at tea break time. Certainly better than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I did a thing and grabbed a Rocket Cellini at the decent closeout price of $1395 (Chris' Coffee) since it's last years model. It gets up to operating temp within 15 minutes but I'll still run it on a timer to get it going for early sessions. Very fun and tasty so far! The new version has an insulated boiler and they added an additional pressure gauge for the brewhead as well as moved the logo down so you can actually see it when not in use but it's $400 more. I ran some Sweet Maria's Amber espresso through it (Vario grinder) and it was perfect.