Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

ConfusedUs posted:

Detta was supposed to be a caricature of a deep south negro. And even after the two personalities merged to make Susannah, Detta was still there, fo sho.

I thought her deep south aspect was portrayed more as a grotesque than a caricature. And I don't like it when an author chooses vernacular dialogue for just one character, making all others "normal" by default. I mean he could have given Eddie's speech a stereotypical New York flavor, but in his world all white people are either "plain" or "Maine".

And I find it curious that in many books of his, the vernacular is mostly reserved for black characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but his blind spot in this area detracts from the story. I know he's gotten better, especially with the Magical Negro thing, but I kind of wish he had erased the corny speech on re-write, the way he erased all those adjectives. Ah jes' don' like it, ah reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Related to Stephen King being unintentionally kind of weirdly racist, I'm reading Dead Zone right now, and just got past a brief scene with throwaway character Ngo. One asian character in the whole book and he speaks in broken English and makes mystical-sounding references to imaginary games called Laughing Tiger.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pheeets posted:

I thought her deep south aspect was portrayed more as a grotesque than a caricature. And I don't like it when an author chooses vernacular dialogue for just one character, making all others "normal" by default. I mean he could have given Eddie's speech a stereotypical New York flavor, but in his world all white people are either "plain" or "Maine".

And I find it curious that in many books of his, the vernacular is mostly reserved for black characters. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but his blind spot in this area detracts from the story. I know he's gotten better, especially with the Magical Negro thing, but I kind of wish he had erased the corny speech on re-write, the way he erased all those adjectives. Ah jes' don' like it, ah reckon.

I can see this. And I don't really disagree, although I think King gets vernacular better than most authors in most cases.

But any way you look at it, Detta's deep south negro dialogue was 100% intentional.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I can see this. And I don't really disagree, although I think King gets vernacular better than most authors in most cases.

But any way you look at it, Detta's deep south negro dialogue was 100% intentional.

I agree, it was clearly intentional, he wanted the two personalities to be diametrically opposed to each other, at least as far as possible with the aspects of two black women in one body. There were just a couple points that didn't ring true, and really grated my nerves, especially when Detta displayed what I thought of as false bravado.

Then again there were plenty of weird things to shudder at in every book of the series. For example, I could not picture Roland dancing at the Reap festival, his dancing, the Reap song all seemed so stiff and contrived to me. But I forgave a lot for the sheer pleasure of immersing myself in a what? 2500 page opus?

I just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole, which King says is Tower book 4.5 that comes between Wizard and Glass and the Wolves of Calla. I really liked it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Pheeets posted:

I just finished The Wind Through the Keyhole, which King says is Tower book 4.5 that comes between Wizard and Glass and the Wolves of Calla. I really liked it.

TWTTK is probably King's best post-accident book.

Hey, speaking of Dark Tower stuff!

Cinema Blend posted:

Back when Ron Howard's adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower was set up over at Universal, the top actor that kept being mentioned in connection with the character Roland Deschain was Javier Bardem. But while rumors constantly suggested that the Oscar winner was on the verge of a deal, it was also said that Bardem simply wanted the part and no contract had been signed.

Since then the project has had a lot of ups and downs. Not confident that the project would be successful enough to sustain itself (it's being planned as a trilogy of films with two television series bridging the gaps between movies), Universal ended up dropping it all together, leaving Warner Bros. to pick it up. But that news came all the way back in March. So will the project live on?

According to Deadline, we will know very soon. WB is close to getting a new draft of the screenplay for the first movie from Akiva Goldsman, and within in the next two weeks the studio will either decide to move forward with the project or drop it completely. But what spices up the news a bit is the fact that there's been a significant change when it comes to casting Roland. Apparently Bardem is no longer in the running for the part, and Howard and producer Brian Grazer have already begun talking about Russell Crowe as a replacement. While no paperwork has been signed, as Warners brass meets about the project they will be considering it with the idea that Crowe will star. The plan is still to make the franchise as a trilogy and two television series.

Fans weren't too big on the idea of Bardem playing Roland Deschain, but what does everyone think of Russell Crowe?

Emphasis mine. I never had a big issue with Bardem, but I would've preferred Viggo Mortensen or Hugh Jackman at the time. I never even considered Crowe, but I am totally down with it if that's what happens.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Pheeets posted:

I agree, it was clearly intentional, he wanted the two personalities to be diametrically opposed to each other, at least as far as possible with the aspects of two black women in one body. There were just a couple points that didn't ring true, and really grated my nerves, especially when Detta displayed what I thought of as false bravado.

I always just assumed that since she was not in fact a southern black woman the only thing her crazy rear end could resort to was a lame impression of one. I mean, just because 'Detta thinks she's one thing doesn't mean she actually has any actual experiences to draw from, it all has to come from somewhere inside Odetta who as far as I can remember grew up in/around New York.

I mean I could have some psychosis that lead me to believe I was an islamic terrorist but I wouldn't just all the sudden know Arabic.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I thought it was clearly explained that Detta was making a biased impression of what media and Odetta's actual experience was of a cliche southern black women with 'attitude' was. It was clearly not just a representation of a southern black character, but what was perceived by bigots as being, almost as an anti-character in detta's mind in that she was street wise and the predator, not the victim.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I actually just finished 'Desperation', and want to read 'Regulators' since they're parallel. I didn't mind the book, I only rolled my eyes sometimes at how King is just not great at writing children.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Toriori posted:

I actually just finished 'Desperation', and want to read 'Regulators' since they're parallel. I didn't mind the book, I only rolled my eyes sometimes at how King is just not great at writing children.

No, you don't. I thought I did despite the warnings. I got about halfway through and my brain vapor locked and I had to stop.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Awwww...I liked The Regulators.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Vorgen posted:

So why did you get angry at Memoirs of a Geisha?

As someone with actual scholarly knowledge of Japanese history and culture, I utterly despise this book and will angrily denounce it at every opportunity. The author obviously has a sexual fascination with kept women, and the whole thing is just riddled with anachronisms, inaccuracies both cultural and historical, a nice heaping helping of racism and exoticism, and pervasive sexism that is no less irritating for being totally unsurprising. It is a horrible piece of poo poo only suitable as a masturbatory aid for guys who fetishize Asian women and fantasize about owning a quasi-voluntary sex slave.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Toriori posted:

I would advise against reading that book.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Really, really enjoying Pet Sematary. This may be the first King book that has given me the legit creeps, and I'm not even close to where the poo poo hits the fan.

How is the movie? I recall seeing parts of it as a kid, thinking it was just another hokey 80's film. However, everyone I know who's seen it seemed to have been genuinely freaked out by it.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

crankdatbatman posted:

Really, really enjoying Pet Sematary. This may be the first King book that has given me the legit creeps, and I'm not even close to where the poo poo hits the fan.

How is the movie? I recall seeing parts of it as a kid, thinking it was just another hokey 80's film. However, everyone I know who's seen it seemed to have been genuinely freaked out by it.

I couldn't watch the movie after the scene with the dead college student. I was done right there.

But because of this thread I started re-reading Pet Sematary last night, but had to stop after a few pages because I know drat well what's coming. Reading it now in the afternoon is good, hopefully I'll finish before dark or at least have enough lamps to light my whole house up. Easily the scariest King book.

About the Regulators - it's related to Desperation in that some of the characters have the same names, but are different personalities in each. I found Desperation to be a lot better than The Regulators because Regulators is very graphic with some real nasty grossness, and doesn'r make as much sense as Desperation. It's not one I would willingly read again, as I did with Desperarion.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

oldpainless posted:

I would advise against reading that book.
I can live with that. I had heard it was only okay.

crankdatbatman Do not watch the movie. Oh my God it is so bad. So bad it ruined the book for me. It was easily the creepiest book to me but the movie has not only aged terribly but is just poorly made to the point where it isn't even funny-bad. That's just my opinion though.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 4, 2012

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Pet Sematary isn't just genuinely frightening, it's really loving sad. The desperation in the Father is pretty wrenching and you totally understand why he decides he better do something that he knows he shouldn't do.

The movie is pretty decent. Not quite the impact of the book of course, but it's got some very effective scenes that can still give me the shivers a bit. also, Herman Munster saying "Sometimes...Dead is bettah."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There are not many people who prefer The Regulators to Desperation, but I'm one of them.

Just don't try to take The Regulators seriously. It's a very weird book that revels in its weirdness. It never settles for strange when it can do utterly bizarre instead.

Wrap that up with the typical Bachman nihilism and you have a book that's disturbing...but only if you don't try to take it seriously.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The Guardian are rereading every novel by King and are up to The Stand

Interesting reading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/03/rereading-stephen-king-the-stand

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The Guardian are rereading every novel by King and are up to The Stand

Interesting reading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/03/rereading-stephen-king-the-stand

That's a really good review. Nothing really insightful in it, but the author makes a personal point that kind of hits home with me: "It started me thinking that I really wanted to write a novel, not just play with stories."

I've been through all kinds of workshops and writing courses (undergraduate and graduate both), and while some of them taught me how to write a little better, none of them actually made me want to write. They were about form and theory instead of, you know, the joy of getting lost in the work, and every year or so I reread The Stand to help purge all that academic (and paralyzing) bullshit and remind myself to write for fun.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
In somewhat related news, this interesting and brief article on The Awl takes a look at King's early days, and his critical interaction/reaction at the beginning of his career.

quote:

Doubleday bought [Carrie] for $2,500, the equivalent of just under $14,000 today. People in the publishing world loved the novel, and by the time Doubleday was looking to sell paperback rights the price was at $400,000, of which $200,000 went directly into the pockets of the agent-less Mr. King. For those keeping track, that means King cleared what is about a million today on the paperback of his very first novel.

When the novel was published in hardcover in 1974, it wasn’t reviewed by any of the major publications, though it got a tiny plaudit in the New York Times from someone writing the mystery column, one with the engaging title of “Newgate Callendar,” who observed, “That this is a first novel is amazing. King writes with the kind of surety only associated with veteran writers.” “Hard to believe,” sniffed a less-impressed reviewer at the Chicago Tribune, “but almost as hard to put down.”

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

When in Jerusalem, I highly suggest you visit the sexeteria.
I recently re-read The Stand and was reminded of how much I love the first 300 pages. Granted, it's getting a little dated but I still think it's a reasonably accurate depiction of what would happen in that situation. I also realized that, for whatever reason, I enjoy reading this "doomsday" type of fiction.

To that end, does anyone have any recommendations--I've already read Swan Song (which scared the poo poo out of me, especially the K-Mart scene), On the Beach, and Alas Babylon. Any others that are must reads?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
King, along with Dave Barry and The Rock Bottom Remainders are going to be on The Late Late Show tomorrow night.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Victory Yodel posted:

I recently re-read The Stand and was reminded of how much I love the first 300 pages. Granted, it's getting a little dated but I still think it's a reasonably accurate depiction of what would happen in that situation. I also realized that, for whatever reason, I enjoy reading this "doomsday" type of fiction.

To that end, does anyone have any recommendations--I've already read Swan Song (which scared the poo poo out of me, especially the K-Mart scene), On the Beach, and Alas Babylon. Any others that are must reads?

The first third of World War Z is about the spread of zombies and the eventual downfall of about 90% of society because of it. If you're not burnt out on zombies, it's a good read with the themes you want.

I'm sure the big Sci-fi/Fantasy thread can give you more recommendations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ConfusedUs posted:

The first third of World War Z is about the spread of zombies and the eventual downfall of about 90% of society because of it. If you're not burnt out on zombies, it's a good read with the themes you want.

I'm sure the big Sci-fi/Fantasy thread can give you more recommendations.

World War Z is great for anyone who loves the first 2/3rds of The Stand.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Victory Yodel posted:

I love those kinds of books too. Recently, Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood was satisfying enough.

Also Cloud Atlas by David Mitchel is set in 6 time periods, 4 of them (if i remember correctly) set in post-apocalypse time.

edit: thinking about it, it was I think 3 parts of the Mitchell book that were post-apocalypse, but the whole book was excellent.

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 6, 2012

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

World War Z is great for anyone who loves the first 2/3rds of The Stand.

Warning that World War Z skips over perhaps the most interesting part (the part between "a few cases to SHITLOAD of zombies"), probably because it's impossible to write given the parameters of how the zombies work in that. I had a list of apocalyptic books that do actually write the fun mid section somewhere; I'll have to find it.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

Warning that World War Z skips over perhaps the most interesting part (the part between "a few cases to SHITLOAD of zombies"), probably because it's impossible to write given the parameters of how the zombies work in that. I had a list of apocalyptic books that do actually write the fun mid section somewhere; I'll have to find it.

Please do! I love the "it's all going wrong" parts.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Victory Yodel posted:

I also realized that, for whatever reason, I enjoy reading this "doomsday" type of fiction.

It goes without saying, if you get off on the end of society and a world without hope, you can't do much better than a bottle of whiskey, a bottle of sleeping pills, and a copy of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Fair warning, that poo poo is grim.

quote:

It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey of a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unspecified cataclysm that has destroyed most of civilization and, in the intervening years, almost all life on Earth.

Grim, I tell you.

For a more "fun" end of the world (compared to The Road pretty much anything is fun), try The Passage, by Justin Cronin. Secret government lab accidentally unleashes a new species of super-beings that for all intents and purposes are immortal vampires. The book takes place over something like 100 years, so you get to see the initial breakout then also see how later generations have dealt with their new world. I didn't love this book, but I really liked the idea of it; some of his characters are a little too comic-book-y for my taste, and there were action scenes so retarded and over the top they felt like they'd been written explicitly for the inevitable movie (this was confirmed when I read somewhere that in fact he did sell the movie rights before he'd even finished writing the novel).

But honestly, as annoying as parts of it were I think it's a great story, and it gets bonus points for being the first in a trilogy (assuming the following two stories are good).

If you read World War Z and like it, go ahead and give Robopocalypse (by Daniel H. Wilson) a try. The dialog will make you want to blow your brains out (it's really bad), but it's basically WWZ with robots (seriously, it's even written through diaries and letters, just like WWZ), and it's at least good enough that Spielberg is set to direct the movie. I groaned through the entire damned book, but it got decent reviews so you might like it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

Grim, I tell you.
I read The Road once, and when I tried to explain why it affected me the way it did, the words "bleak," and "grim" came to mind.

Then I decided I just don't know an English word that truly conveys how utterly <whatever> that novel was. I bet the Russians have a word for it, or maybe the Germans.

It is not for the faint of heart.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I read The Road once, and when I tried to explain why it affected me the way it did, the words "bleak," and "grim" came to mind.

Then I decided I just don't know an English word that truly conveys how utterly <whatever> that novel was. I bet the Russians have a word for it, or maybe the Germans.

It is not for the faint of heart.

According to my brother, "Biblical".

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Victory Yodel posted:

Swan Song (which scared the poo poo out of me, especially the K-Mart scene)

This is by Robert McGammon right? I really loved his book Boys Life growing up. Is Swan Song as good?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Victorkm posted:

This is by Robert McGammon right? I really loved his book Boys Life growing up. Is Swan Song as good?

I read Swan Song on one of my random E-Book downloads, and got through it all. It was entertaining enough to finish, at least - though I wouldn't call it "good."

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
"Lucifer's Hammer" is a good "everything's hosed" book, as well. A bit dated, but still an awesome read.

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

When in Jerusalem, I highly suggest you visit the sexeteria.

Victorkm posted:

I haven't read Boys Life so I can't say how Swan Song directly compares. I do think it's worth reading. This is one of the only books that I stopped reading because I was so disturbed by it. I didn't pick it up again for over a year. For that alone I have to give it a recommendation.

I don't think his writing is easy or "fun" to read. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's Ulysses; it's more that his writing doesn't "flow" all that well. It's not smooth. On the other hand, I feel that he did a good job with his characters--by the middle of the book I was fully invested in what happened to them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Swan Song is a bit retarded, but worth reading once if you dig the Stand

Edwardian posted:

"Lucifer's Hammer" is a good "everything's hosed" book, as well. A bit dated, but still an awesome read.

...with a rather awesome section through the middle where you get to take italicized journeys to calamity worldwide :haw:

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'll add that Boys Life is pretty decent if you dig Stand By Me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edwardian posted:

All of Niven's (and Pournelle I guess) stuff is a bit dated (unless you count Halo as a Ringworld tribute) but it's pretty awesome nonetheless.

Has there ever been a TBB Niven thread?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I've been on a King reading kick thanks to this thread but I thought I'd twist it up a bit this time.

I'm going through the book then the movie in turn. Are there any good pairings? I've started with Misery and working my way through Pet Sematary then The Shining is next and maybe if I get injured and get laid off for a month I can work through The Stand and the tv series.

I know there's got to be some other good ones but obviously there's bad pairings to stay away from (Dreamcatcher).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Most King movie adaptions are bad or worse.
Example: Tommyknockers, Dreamcatcher, The Running Man*

A few are all right.
Example: IT, Pet Sematary, The Stand in its various incarnations

Good ones are rare.
Example: The Green Mile, The Shining

And only one is amazing: The Shawshank Redemption

*The Running Man is SO SO BAD but it's still fun if you're the kind of guy that likes bad 80s corny Arnold sci-fi action flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Victorkm posted:

I listened to the audiobook and thought it was pretty much poo poo. The only situation where I felt compelled to go and write a bad review on Audible.

It's all right for entertainment, but if you pay attention at all, you'll constantly get slapped in the face by the fact that it was written in the 80's by a super-conservative sheltered dude who loves black and white morality.

The whole thing felt like a cheesy young adult novel (in an immature way), with added rape, despair, and gruesomeness.

Locus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 8, 2012