Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Now Ski Safari released an update with no change list and it's broken on my N7 as well. Sigh. They are working on it apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Some of the new ski safari challenges are bloody hard! Double back flip on a yeti?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ski safari is acting up for me. First it wouldnt let me complete the star for "taxi penguin on wolf in penguin slope" after a reset it let me get the star. Now I have two challenges on my list,

"break stalactite as yeti Sven"
"catch a yeti in air as yeti Sven"

No matter what I do it will not give me stars for these. I am wearing the Yeti costume and if I change out of it the challenges grey out so it should be working. Tried resetting app and phone to no avail. With the other challenge I'm on being "burst through 5 clouds" I am pretty much stuck. Any thoughts short of reinstalling and losing everything?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Babel rising 3D is pretty good fun for free, smite little dudes trying to build a tower with various powers. IAPs available but not required, unobtrusive adds in menus, decent graphics.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Despite the rave reviews in the thread I found Pocket Clothier really tedious, so can anyone confirm if Kairobotica is better in that regard? I enjoyed most of the other Kairosoft games.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Mighty Steed posted:

Despite the rave reviews in the thread I found Pocket Clothier really tedious, so can anyone confirm if Kairobotica is better in that regard? I enjoyed most of the other Kairosoft games.
I've been playing it for a few hours and I think it's probably the most tedious and least varied game Kairosoft has made.

If there's any real strategy to the combat it takes a long time to get to that point, and there's very little to do outside of battle.

I could be missing something and it suddenly gets great once you get access to more research or something, but at this point it's not a game I'm gonna recommend to anyone.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just make sure you at least close and restart the game every few hours or you'll run into this...

Been playing for over 12 hours... only have 1GB of RAM and Android takes up ~300MB.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

SlayVus posted:

Just make sure you at least close and restart the game every few hours or you'll run into this...

Been playing for over 12 hours... only have 1GB of RAM and Android takes up ~300MB.
I know this isn't gaming related but what app is that?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

While I do prefer Kairobotica more than Pocket Clothier, the problem is like Threep said in that the combat really doesn't have a whole lot of strategy. Epic Astro Story and Dungeon Village may have had a more hands-off approach to combat, but you still managed equipment and picked different dudes for stuff. Kairobotica treats all of your dudes as the same and expendable, there's no option to equip them to make them better, and you don't even gain the option to have an extra row until your third planet or so. I'm not sure why, but I keep playing it though, so there's that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

datajosh posted:

I know this isn't gaming related but what app is that?

It's the Asus Task Manager. It's a widget that comes on their tablet roms. I don't use it as a task killer, but it's handy to keep an eye out for when apps go haywire.

tables
Jul 7, 2011

tables

Captain McStabbin posted:

While I do prefer Kairobotica more than Pocket Clothier, the problem is like Threep said in that the combat really doesn't have a whole lot of strategy. Epic Astro Story and Dungeon Village may have had a more hands-off approach to combat, but you still managed equipment and picked different dudes for stuff. Kairobotica treats all of your dudes as the same and expendable, there's no option to equip them to make them better, and you don't even gain the option to have an extra row until your third planet or so. I'm not sure why, but I keep playing it though, so there's that.

I imagine the Kairobots as the Imperial Guards so the lack of customization doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to be able to give them weapons or armor. I expected to be able to be able to upgrade them like that when I bought the game, but whatever. Game is still fun .

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

tables posted:

I imagine the Kairobots as the Imperial Guards so the lack of customization doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to be able to give them weapons or armor. I expected to be able to be able to upgrade them like that when I bought the game, but whatever. Game is still fun .

Yeah this is more how I feel after having finished my first game. It's a good game but I'm hoping the next iteration of the mechanics has more to it. The combat is a lot better than past games but is still a bit too shallow. You spend a lot of time just auto attacking (to be fair this is true of a lot of RPGs too). End game combat is a lot better than Dungeon Ville and Astro Story but you're pretty much stuck with using the shield bot later on because it's so ridiculously good. The Dr is up there too since fever will wreck your bots fast.

And my biggest complaint is that the only things that transfer over to New Game + are your unused items and your support bots levels. You still have to unlock the bots but keeping their levels is pretty strong. I would have preferred keeping some of your colony and maybe bot levels or researched upgrades.

All in all I still think it's a really solid game and I don't regret dropping $5 on it but it loses a lot in replay value with what little transfers over and I just hope they take what they learned and added here and refine it further for the next combat game.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You also keep your plant populations, which is useful for gaining money. As well as captured creatures, but not enemies. When you research your first gift shop item you also get access to all previously researched gift shop items.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
Save your aura for when you run into a hard boss, use it in combination with your most powerful skill and you'll blast that boss for thousands or more. This makes short work of any of the handful of challenging battles that may pop up. The game is awfully grindy, and if you care about your end score in these games it's the first one I can think of where you can stay on some medium-difficulty area gathering money/levels indefinitely without losing any game time.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Thanks all, think I'll avoid it and wait to see what comes next - hopefully something like Grand Prix Story 2.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think I've been playing Ski Safari too much...

But is anybody else not able to type in Ski Safari? The keyboard works fine in all the other apps but not here. Also, :smug:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Aw, you gently caress. I can type fine with an SG2 though.

I'm having some problems with the challenges. Right now, it won't count rockets used for "Ride 5 rockets as Hero Sven" or ponds boosted into for "Boost into 10 ice ponds as Hero Sven", no matter which way I try it. And like some other dude, the only other challenge I have is "Bust through 5 clouds in a row", which is impossible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Black Griffon posted:

Aw, you gently caress. I can type fine with an SG2 though.

I'm having some problems with the challenges. Right now, it won't count rockets used for "Ride 5 rockets as Hero Sven" or ponds boosted into for "Boost into 10 ice ponds as Hero Sven", no matter which way I try it. And like some other dude, the only other challenge I have is "Bust through 5 clouds in a row", which is impossible.

Yep, nothing seems to help. Off to other games till theres hopefully an update to fix it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Ski Safari's pretty good, eh? I might be in the market for a new fuckaround game.

By the way, Kairosoft games, I've only played Pocket League but I got way into it. Given that a particular theme doesn't absolutely make or break a game for me, is there a Kairo game that's regarded as especially good?

T00kus
May 25, 2010

yobbing in a strange land..
Came across this little game in the New Games list. Simplistic but difficult gravity based space sim. Story is simply but compelling and the voice acting is pretty good. The atmosphere is really great and I'm having a good time getting into it. I'm really looking forward to more from this studio. Pick it up, you'll like it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...bit+google+play

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I spent a while trying to find a decent Fighting Fantasy /Lone Wolf style game and I discovered this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

It's decidedly old school. The timbre of the prose really brings me back to when I played the real thing as a kid and the presentation is decent, though I think there could have been a few more illustrations and more than one looping bit of background music. The game book is pricey (I probably wouldn't have bought it without the credit from the N7) but I much reckon it was well worth it. The company has a licensed Judge Dredd game out on Iphone and I'm desperate to play it on android.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Poopelyse posted:

But is anybody else not able to type in Ski Safari? The keyboard works fine in all the other apps but not here. Also, :smug:
I usually use Swype and I've noticed that it doesn't work in a few games, including Ski Safari. I'm chalking it up to Jelly Bean quirkiness though, because the default keyboard works.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

T00kus posted:

Came across this little game in the New Games list. Simplistic but difficult gravity based space sim. Story is simply but compelling and the voice acting is pretty good. The atmosphere is really great and I'm having a good time getting into it. I'm really looking forward to more from this studio. Pick it up, you'll like it!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...bit+google+play

It's really freaking short though. I kinda wish I'd never bought it because it's a solid game you can finish in less than an hour and ends in a picture perfect cliff-hanger.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

I usually use Swype and I've noticed that it doesn't work in a few games, including Ski Safari. I'm chalking it up to Jelly Bean quirkiness though, because the default keyboard works.

I'm in 2.3 and Swype mostly doesn't work in Ski Safari. I say mostly because if you type like T.H.I.S. it works. :v:

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Poopelyse posted:

I think I've been playing Ski Safari too much...

I had the keyboard get mucked up once, and I noticed when I was at the high score screen after every other run that the Back button was replaced by that Minimize button. I hit that, and then I could bring up the name field and type my name in correctly. Maybe you have something like that going on?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

And like some other dude, the only other challenge I have is "Bust through 5 clouds in a row", which is impossible.
No its not, and its significantly easier if you do it on a penguin, and glide through them. Tap the screen as fast as possible, and you will go a lot more horizontal than vertical, which will take you though a bunch of clouds, if the slope is steep enough.

T00kus
May 25, 2010

nessin posted:

It's really freaking short though. I kinda wish I'd never bought it because it's a solid game you can finish in less than an hour and ends in a picture perfect cliff-hanger.

Oh! I've been playing it on and off while on the subway. I haven't reached the end yet, though. Maybe they'll make the next ones longer based on this one's success...

T00kus
May 25, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I spent a while trying to find a decent Fighting Fantasy /Lone Wolf style game and I discovered this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...WFuZHJvaWQiXQ..

It's decidedly old school. The timbre of the prose really brings me back to when I played the real thing as a kid and the presentation is decent, though I think there could have been a few more illustrations and more than one looping bit of background music. The game book is pricey (I probably wouldn't have bought it without the credit from the N7) but I much reckon it was well worth it. The company has a licensed Judge Dredd game out on Iphone and I'm desperate to play it on android.

You must have come across this in your search... do you know if it's any good?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GDVGames.LoneWolfBiblio

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Frogmanv2 posted:

No its not, and its significantly easier if you do it on a penguin, and glide through them. Tap the screen as fast as possible, and you will go a lot more horizontal than vertical, which will take you though a bunch of clouds, if the slope is steep enough.

It's even easier on an eagle!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Does android/play store credits ever go on sale the way Apple iTunes stuff does?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress, totally missed the warning about 4.1 on Ski Safari and spammed update. Hope they fix this crash soon.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Jet Ready Go posted:

Does android/play store credits ever go on sale the way Apple iTunes stuff does?

Apps go on sale plenty, but otherwise no I don't think so.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress, totally missed the warning about 4.1 on Ski Safari and spammed update. Hope they fix this crash soon.

If you're rooted you can reboot to recovery and use the Fix Permissions option. I have no real clue what this does but I saw it in a Play review and sure enough, it worked. This was on a GNex and an N7, both running CWM.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Is it even possible to buy store credit on Play?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No, and you can't gift items either. It's retarded, they could do huge bank (and customer satisfaction) on gifted apps and throwaway store-credit cards you can buy in stores like uh... every other major company in the world with an online store uses. Attention Google: you are bested in this respect by Red Lobster.

I've wanted to gift a game a lot of times(like Grand Prix Story or Where's My Water), saying "Hey, I wanted to get you a game for your birthday, so here's $4.00 now go buy this game from the Play Store" is pretty lovely. A lot of times I've wanted to spend a buck or two on someone else just so we could play something multiplayer on the train or during a weekend hangout.

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Anyone playing gamevil's soccer superstar 2012? I'm in the pro league and working my way up. If anyone's looking for a friend for the rewards, my GAMEVIL ID is n0manarmy and my team name is Yuenglings. Playing a formation if 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 has a huge advantage over most people because they play 4-3-3 (default) or 3-4-3, I guess assuming that offense is the best defence. I'm beating teams 10+ points above me.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Splizwarf posted:

No, and you can't gift items either. It's retarded, they could do huge bank (and customer satisfaction) on gifted apps and throwaway store-credit cards you can buy in stores like uh... every other major company in the world with an online store uses. Attention Google: you are bested in this respect by Red Lobster.

I've wanted to gift a game a lot of times(like Grand Prix Story or Where's My Water), saying "Hey, I wanted to get you a game for your birthday, so here's $4.00 now go buy this game from the Play Store" is pretty lovely. A lot of times I've wanted to spend a buck or two on someone else just so we could play something multiplayer on the train or during a weekend hangout.

The non-gifting might be due to security concerns, since almost all play content just remote-installs on to devices once it's been purchased. I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to be able to install software on my phone without my permission.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wish you could buy pre-paid google store cards, they don't even allow adult content on their market, so it's not like you'd need to worry about minors using them to buy playboy apps or something.

Civil posted:

The non-gifting might be due to security concerns, since almost all play content just remote-installs on to devices once it's been purchased. I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to be able to install software on my phone without my permission.
Hmm, that's an interesting concern that I hadn't thought of at all, it could possibly be abused by someone to "spam" out with a lovely adware app or something even less helpful, at worst case. Yikes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Easily solved, have all gifted apps only send a single "You've Got A Gift App!" email (or one reminder a month or whatever), don't allow auto-installing, and allow the giftee to click "Don't Want" on the Play page, which would cancel the purchase and refund the buyer.

lovely spam apps or whatever wouldn't be a problem because there'd be no reason to implement gifting already-free apps. I assume someone paying for 1 million copies of an app to be sent to a bunch of people who otherwise have no contact with them would be flagged pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I think you'd instantly be bombarded by every spam app maker that happens to get ahold of your gmail address.

I suppose a method could be worked out, but I don't think it's been a priority for google, and I doubt we'll see it within the next couple years.

• Locked thread