Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have a favorite network sniffer (that works with wireless) for Mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
Every so often, someone will write up a "The First Things I Do with a New Mac" article. Not a "My first Mac" guide or something for people coming from Windows, but rather, an article detailing all the random terminal commands to run to make the settings sane, the slightly esoteric software to install and the best ordering, and so on.

Given that it's been 4 years since I've last had a "new" Mac, has anyone seen a similar article in a Mountain Lion world (or even Lion, since I'm that out of date!)? Google fails me because the results are pretty garbled up with either reviews of ML or the rmpb.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Bob Morales posted:

tcpdump?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

devilmouse posted:

Every so often, someone will write up a "The First Things I Do with a New Mac" article. Not a "My first Mac" guide or something for people coming from Windows, but rather, an article detailing all the random terminal commands to run to make the settings sane, the slightly esoteric software to install and the best ordering, and so on.

Given that it's been 4 years since I've last had a "new" Mac, has anyone seen a similar article in a Mountain Lion world (or even Lion, since I'm that out of date!)? Google fails me because the results are pretty garbled up with either reviews of ML or the rmpb.

I do everything listed in these

http://lifehacker.com/5824564/how-to-de+ios+ify-mac-os-x-lion
http://lifehacker.com/5928753/how-to-get-rid-of-mountain-lions-biggest-annoyances

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tenterhooks posted:

You can add MSN to Messages?
I'm guessing he's using this: http://cocoon.drinkbrainjuice.com/

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

CocoaPacketAnalyzer still works.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

I saw that, wasn't sure if it worked in ML. Wireshark isn't capturing all packets even though it's on promiscuous, am I doing something dumb? Using the wireless interface on my Air.

Is there any reason to NOT install the Java 6 runtime? Cyberduck wants it.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

japtor posted:

drat, I must have totally forgot about installing that. In that case I totally retract my complaint regarding Messages' handling of msn since it's hardly fair to blame Apple for that. My bad.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I saw that, wasn't sure if it worked in ML. Wireshark isn't capturing all packets even though it's on promiscuous, am I doing something dumb? Using the wireless interface on my Air.

Is there any reason to NOT install the Java 6 runtime? Cyberduck wants it.
Apple have a lovely record of patching Java security holes.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
edit: nevermind, single user mode on a retina display is enough to make your eyes bleed.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 5, 2012

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone know why I can't enable this feature:

When I check it it shows a spinning thing, fills the checkbox with a line briefly, and then returns to unchecked. It briefly changes the text below it but it's too fast to read.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Mr. Onslaught posted:

iMovie has to be the stupidest loving program I've ever used in my life. How is it that it manages to be worse than the completely barebones Windows Movie Maker?

Right now I'm trying to edit a video, and it just straight up won't let me change the duration of things. Like, I'll click on the cog/settings wheel for a photo, tell it to have a duration of 6 seconds, and it just decides to set it at something else. Probably the most frustrated I've ever been with a piece of software before and the first time I've regretted being on a Mac instead of Windows. Googling shows a lot of other people have this problem, and the suggestions people give to fix it are all just nonsense that doesn't accomplish anything.

See if you can find the old iMovie, the last version was iMovie HD 6. In that app, you set the photo duration in the preferences, them import your photos.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Jealous Cow posted:

Anyone know why I can't enable this feature:

When I check it it shows a spinning thing, fills the checkbox with a line briefly, and then returns to unchecked. It briefly changes the text below it but it's too fast to read.

Here are the localizable strings from SoftwareUpdate.prefPane.

https://gist.github.com/3267613

It may show for a little bit but at least you can guess what the message you were looking for is. Also, I would check with Console.app and see what it says when you toggle that checkbox.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
For some reason lately Skype has been acting up. Normally it works fine but the past 2 weeks the sound has been all hosed up and the picture freezes up. I also notice that the iSight camera light will periodically flicker off in the middle of the conversation, which causes my picture to freeze. I am running it on Mountain Lion and upgraded Skype to whatever their latest version is.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

japtor posted:

This would be kind of a ghetto workaround, but I'm wondering whether Printopia might work. Like add all the printers to the main server Mac, then share them from there through Printopia, which should (theoretically) abstract the drivers from the computers. Instead of printing to however many printer types, they print to Printopia which handles the different printers. It'd also let you do stuff like print to PDF on the server and whatever other little things it does.

I've been running printopia since it was in the 1 versions on a mixed network of pc's, hp laptops, MacBook airs, iPhones and iPads and printing has worked seamlessly for all of them. It was one of the first things I reinstalled when I wiped my Mac last week. Your needs might be a mite specialized but the software itself does work wonderfully.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
Ever since upgrading to Mountain Lion, my 2011 MBA has been extraordinarily prone to the fan going crazy. Sometimes it'll be dead silent but the moment a single application decides to act up, the fan goes on and won't go off. I'm not even entirely sure what applications are causing it. I've had it since launch day so I doubt it's still indexing for Spotlight, and the activity monitor shows nothing unusual. I've checked around the internet and I've seen other people with the issue but no real explanation for what's going on. So far, Safari, iPhoto, Messages, and iTunes have all been culprits at different times. It's starting to get really frustrating, because this computer used to be dead silent unless I was doing something I knew would stress it and it would go back to be quiet within a minute of being done with that. Sometimes I can have a thousand different applications open and there won't be a problem. At other times, like right now, I've got 3 tabs open, clicktoflash installed so I know there's nothing running flash in the background, and iTunes playing music and it's running like a jet engine. I'm staring at Activity Monitor on "All Processes" and it's never going below about 95% CPU idle.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

step aside posted:

Ever since upgrading to Mountain Lion, my 2011 MBA has been extraordinarily prone to the fan going crazy. Sometimes it'll be dead silent but the moment a single application decides to act up, the fan goes on and won't go off. I'm not even entirely sure what applications are causing it. I've had it since launch day so I doubt it's still indexing for Spotlight, and the activity monitor shows nothing unusual. I've checked around the internet and I've seen other people with the issue but no real explanation for what's going on. So far, Safari, iPhoto, Messages, and iTunes have all been culprits at different times. It's starting to get really frustrating, because this computer used to be dead silent unless I was doing something I knew would stress it and it would go back to be quiet within a minute of being done with that. Sometimes I can have a thousand different applications open and there won't be a problem. At other times, like right now, I've got 3 tabs open, clicktoflash installed so I know there's nothing running flash in the background, and iTunes playing music and it's running like a jet engine. I'm staring at Activity Monitor on "All Processes" and it's never going below about 95% CPU idle.
Is there a particular process that goes nuts like this? I've discovered that Opera is effectively useless in ML.

step aside
Sep 21, 2011
I'm not really seeing anything being hit super hard. I even closed everything and let it sit there doing absolutely nothing for about 5 minutes and the fans wouldn't stop. Sometimes I get lucky and I close a program and the fans stop (as I said, it's been Safari, iPhoto, Messages, and iTunes have each been culprits) and other times I have to reboot it before the fan will start.

Even now I'm coming fresh off a boot and the fan is still running at a really low speed. I only have Sparrow, Fantastical, and one Safari tab open. It shouldn't be taxing it like this. As I said, before 10.8, it was pretty much dead silent except for when Flash was running or I was doing something that was obviously taxing. And even then, whenever the taxing application was closed, it would quickly quiet down again.

edit: While I'm griping, Safari decided to stop loading HTML5 youtube videos a few days ago.

step aside fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 6, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Tried a SMC reset?

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.
So Gestures are breaking on sleep, as well as the Dock at least half the time. I have to force quit Dock in Activity Monitor to get things appearing/disappearing properly. I updated rather than clean installing.

Any fixes out for these yet or do I have to gently caress about clean installing to make it go away?

neolithic fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 6, 2012

almighty_monkey
Sep 2, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ufarn posted:

Is there a particular process that goes nuts like this? I've discovered that Opera is effectively useless in ML.

I've had this happen on my 2009 Macbook pro as well. So far, Safari, Java, Mail and Wunderlist have all set it off, but only one time each. In Activity Monitor in each case, the process has, for no apparent reason, decided to max out my CPU. Killing and reopening the software seems to solve it. What's weird is, even though the CPU is apparently maxed out, I don't see any change in performance.

More annoying is what ML's done to my battery life. My computers a recent 2nd hand purchase that was running Leopard, and it was getting about 5 Hours-odd. Not as good as when it was new, but about what I'd expect for a 3-4 year old laptop. Since I wiped and put on ML, its only getting about 3 - oddly enough, about the same length of time you get when the Geforce 9600m is turned on. In settings its still in 'better battery life' mode that should just have the 9400m on.

Does anyone know how easy it is to downgrade to Lion? Is it as simple as an upgrade, or am I going to have to wipe and reinstall?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Impaired battery life as a result of an OS X upgrade is not unique to ML, though. I imagine there are some driver issues that may need to be resolved first?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ufarn posted:

If you're running Opera 12, chances are that you'll find the source of the problem there, rather than in ML.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

If you're running Opera 12, chances are that you'll find the source of the problem there, rather than in ML.
Oh, it's totally Opera, I just have no idea why it happens. It works fine on Windows.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

almighty_monkey posted:

More annoying is what ML's done to my battery life. My computers a recent 2nd hand purchase that was running Leopard, and it was getting about 5 Hours-odd. Not as good as when it was new, but about what I'd expect for a 3-4 year old laptop. Since I wiped and put on ML, its only getting about 3 - oddly enough, about the same length of time you get when the Geforce 9600m is turned on. In settings its still in 'better battery life' mode that should just have the 9400m on.

Weird - there are reports of the dedicated graphics coming on less when it comes to thinks like web browsers in ML then Lion. But that's newer hardware

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ufarn posted:

Oh, it's totally Opera, I just have no idea why it happens. It works fine on Windows.

Flash and Opera have recently become a nightmarish combination. rolling back to Opera 11.64 and uninstalling Flash made my MacBook usable but there are still weird clip capture events noted in the Opera thread that lock up the trackpad for Opera.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

neolithic posted:

So Gestures are breaking on sleep, as well as the Dock at least half the time. I have to force quit Dock in Activity Monitor to get things appearing/disappearing properly. I updated rather than clean installing.

Any fixes out for these yet or do I have to gently caress about clean installing to make it go away?
First, just try reinstalling over what's there. That fixed some issues for a few of our machines at work.

The Gman Drive
Jun 28, 2012

I'm a Mac Hole. Yes... I do like Macs up the ass.
I am part of the ETCE (Ethical Treatment of Consumer Electronics).
Now go shove an apple up your ass... you'll see....

Bob Morales posted:

Ever heard of MacPorts? https://www.macports.org
they have a version of Kismet that you can install among other things.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just a reminder to take computer security seriously and don't link accounts together. I have no idea who this guy is (and he sounds like a pretentious douchebag blogger) but the basic gist is he got his iCloud account hacked and the hacker managed to wipe all his iDevices and MBP rendering them useless, and then somehow steal his Google account and Twitter, because he was an idiot and connected them together or something (did not understand his bad pompous 'wahh someone with connections to Google help me out' writing).

The fact that someone can wipe your MBP via iCloud doesn't really sit right with me and I had no idea this was possible.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Today I decided to upgrade to Mountain Lion by first downloading Snow Leopard (I know, I know). Apple's website seems to no longer offer Snow Leopard - is my only option via Amazon or Ebay? (It's priced in the low $100s - was it always this price?)

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The fact that someone can wipe your MBP via iCloud doesn't really sit right with me and I had no idea this was possible.

Because he got into his iCloud account and had "Find My Mac" enabled. This lets you wipe your data in the event your machine is lost/stolen.

Keep your accounts safe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just a reminder to take computer security seriously and don't link accounts together. I have no idea who this guy is (and he sounds like a pretentious douchebag blogger) but the basic gist is he got his iCloud account hacked and the hacker managed to wipe all his iDevices and MBP rendering them useless, and then somehow steal his Google account and Twitter, because he was an idiot and connected them together or something (did not understand his bad pompous 'wahh someone with connections to Google help me out' writing).

Wiping/removing devices from your account is a feature - if your machine was stolen, wouldn't you want to be able to do that?

But, basically what happened is a human got tricked into resetting his iCloud account. Presumably that enabled someone with that password to then access his email account (Gmail) and that's basically the 'master key' to your online identity. Once someone has your email account they can request password resets for your other accounts and then poo poo starts rolling downhill.

Perhaps, as an extra layer of security, you should use a different email account for each service you use, for the password reset function.

bobmorales+bankofamerica@yahoo.com
bobmorales+ebay@gmail.com
bobmorales+americanexpress@hotmail.com

etc

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The part that I found most shocking about that whole thing is that, of all people, a tech writer didn't have any backups for his Mac. Obviously it sucks that this happened to him, but he really is the type of person who should know the importance of backing up.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Shin-chan posted:

Because he got into his iCloud account and had "Find My Mac" enabled. This lets you wipe your data in the event your machine is lost/stolen.

Keep your accounts safe.

Actually the fault was entirely on Apple's end if you read the updates through, because they allowed access to the account to a random person.

So even if he had kept his accounts safe, Apple would still be at fault.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

The part that I found most shocking about that whole thing is that, of all people, a tech writer didn't have any backups for his Mac. Obviously it sucks that this happened to him, but he really is the type of person who should know the importance of backing up.

True. If you have used a computer for any amount of time, you'd think you'd be smart enough to have backups.

Apple makes it dead simple, buy a external USB hard drive and leave it on your desk at home (and buy another one for work if you don't want to carry it with you) and just plug it in, Time Machine takes care of everything. You can back up your data to Backblaze/Carbonite/Mozy/whatever for $5/month.

If what you're working on isn't important enough to backup....

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Bob Morales posted:

If what you're working on isn't important enough to backup....
This. A thousand times, this.

If you hadn't noticed, backing up your data is about as hard as browsing the web now (even on Windows...). Do it. Do it now if you don't already have at least one backup.

I can't tell you how many times I have to remind students and faculty of how important backups are. It's as if the magical computer fairy is going to some how resurrect their data if the poo poo hits the fan.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

neolithic posted:

Ever install any hacky type things before? Otherwise does Console show any useful info?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anyone having trouble logging into their Apple account on iTunes or App Store? I can access it fine on the website.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do I save my Terminal aliases permanently? They keep turning invalid eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Small White Dragon posted:

Anyone having trouble logging into their Apple account on iTunes or App Store? I can access it fine on the website.

I just posted about it in the iTunes thread.. I could log into iCloud but App Store and iTunes kept giving me the stinkeye; had to use iforgot.apple.com to reset my Apple ID pass to stronger characteristics and now I can log into all three without issue. Even my iPod Touch bitched at me.

Apple's probably getting everyone to change password strength because of what happened to that blogger.