Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How do you guys store all your stuff that you aren't taking with you at the moment? A case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I normally just put stuff on a shelf in a closet. If I have a soft case that came with the lens, it will go into that first. I have other bags and whatnot that I can put it into as well.

I'm guessing that's what most people do?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

nummy posted:

I normally just put stuff on a shelf in a closet. If I have a soft case that came with the lens, it will go into that first. I have other bags and whatnot that I can put it into as well.

I'm guessing that's what most people do?

I'm sort of a gearfag when it comes to this. I'm a pretty firm believer that you are only as good as the best camera you have on you. If I can't carry all of my stuff with me, it's time to get a larger bag. Right now I have a Kata 3n1-30. However I'm starting to reach the breaking point as I start getting serious with portraiture and buying a billion lights and accessories. I will learn. I must learn.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rcman50166 posted:

I'm sort of a gearfag when it comes to this. I'm a pretty firm believer that you are only as good as the best camera you have on you. If I can't carry all of my stuff with me, it's time to get a larger bag. Right now I have a Kata 3n1-30. However I'm starting to reach the breaking point as I start getting serious with portraiture and buying a billion lights and accessories. I will learn. I must learn.

Use of gearfag term generally gets you a bag of dicks avatar. Its probably in the queue now.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Musket posted:

Use of gearfag term generally gets you a bag of dicks avatar. Its probably in the queue now.

If it happens so be it, I will take pride knowing I wasn't calling anyone else that expect myself

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here considered one of these for a camera bag, or all purpose bag?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djrockout/4767735186/

There's also a smaller satchel version, either of them sounds pretty interesting. Right now I just toss my camera in this cheapo satchel I got for my laptop.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

Just buy a van or something.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Just won a Think Tank Airport International v2 on ebay! Hope it's worth it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Just won a Think Tank Airport International v2 on ebay! Hope it's worth it.

They're supposed to be fantastic. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DJExile posted:

They're supposed to be fantastic. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

Yeah, I really want a roller that isn't a pelican as I'll actually be rolling it quite a bit travelling around London. Apparently the wheels are great and it just eats gear. I've heard pelicans end up being much smaller than you think they'll be and the rolling wheels aren't ideal.

I've managed to fit two strobe heads (BXRI 500s) in a Kata backpack and my stands and soft boxes come in pretty nice carrying cases so I can put my bodies and lenses in the think tank and just about have my whole set up be man portable.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Any recommendations for a backpack/camera bag to take to Europe for 10 days? I'll be bringing my Hasselblad and Nikon FM10, I don't expect to bring more than just the lenses attached to the bodies. I also work well with minimal clothing and stuff like that, but I do need some space.

Leather would be nice.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
I see that B&H has the Domke F-3X in grey for $70 (the other colors are $130, for some reason).

I'll be storing a Canon 60D, a 18-55, a 50mm prime, and a 70-300. I plan to perhaps get 1 or two more reasonable size lenses, but nothing huge. I'd also have a 430Ex flash.

Anyone have experience with this bag? The color isn't my favorite, but the price seems pretty good for the value. I'm comparing with the Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 and the Retrospective 10 or 20.

This is for every day use, not necessarily for hard core hiking. I already have a Tamrac Velocity 7 sling bag for my older gear that served me pretty well for dynamic situations, so the gear can be swapped if need be.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I have the F-3X in olive. It's dope.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have it in black and love it. In it, I carry: D800 with grip and one of my primes mounted, 20mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, 90mm macro, 70-200 VRII 2.8, SB910 speedlight, SB700 speedlight, and some accessories. Picked mine up as a more compact alternative to my ThinkTank Streetwalker pro. I also have a Retrospective 5 for my MFT gear and full the F3X is barely larger. I also looked at the larger ThinkTank bags and decided I prefer the less padded Domke as it's much more compact foo how much it carries. The ThinkTank stuff is certainly well made, but it's overpadded and that makes it feel bulky.

If you were really going to be bashing around your bag the extra padding of a Retrospective might be nice, but I prefer the size since I'm pretty careful with my gear.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

scotty posted:

Any recommendations for a backpack/camera bag to take to Europe for 10 days? I'll be bringing my Hasselblad and Nikon FM10, I don't expect to bring more than just the lenses attached to the bodies. I also work well with minimal clothing and stuff like that, but I do need some space.

Leather would be nice.

Keep it as small as possible. You'll be going into crowded places with tight spaces and you don't want to be whacking people left and right with your bag. Also, a lot of places like museums have "no backpacks" rules because of the idiots who have no awareness of all the poo poo their backpacks are knocking over. I recommend a shoulder bag that you can wear across your body because you'll be able to keep one hand on your bag in dicey situations.

Ideally the bag should be expandable in some way. I used my Retrospective 20 as my carry-on bag because of the big expandable front pocket where I could put my netbook and other items.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you want leather and have more money than sense, the Billingham Hadley Pro. I have one in black and tan and it's simply beautiful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

How do you guys store all your stuff that you aren't taking with you at the moment? A case?
Millions of drawers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

If you want leather and have more money than sense, the Billingham Hadley Pro. I have one in black and tan and it's simply beautiful.
That's canvas. And if you're going canvas might as well get a Domke bag.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That's canvas. And if you're going canvas might as well get a Domke bag.

The straps are leather. And side by side the Billy is hands down the nicer bag.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How have folks here liked the Kata 3-n-1 series?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is it crazy that I'm considering the Billingham 307? I travel a lot, and my retrospective 10 is a bit cramped.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason you never see actual photogs carrying Billingham bags. It's not that they're bad, but you're going to get tired of carrying 3+ pounds of bag on top of whatever you put in there. And that's on top of the :lol: price.

e: my friend's vintage (aka stolen from her dad) all leather bag looks baller as all hell but yeah, it's aggravatingly heavy.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 6, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a reason you never see actual photogs carrying Billingham bags. It's not that their bad, but you're going to get tired of carrying 3+ pounds of bag on top of whatever you put in there. And that's on top of the :lol: price.

Yeah, the price said, "think about this" and the weight said, "is this even really a practical travel bag."

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

DJExile posted:

How have folks here liked the Kata 3-n-1 series?

I've been using the 3n1 33 for about a month now and it's been pretty swell. Holds a 70-200mm f/4, gripped T2i with Sigma 8-16, Tamron 17-50, flash, various chargers and travel crap, tripod, canteen and laptop pretty compactly, although the tripod and canteen sorta protrude from the back and tend to smack against stuff. Do note that the tripod requires a tripod holder that is sold separately and is pretty bare in terms of protecting the tripod from hitting stuff if you're not careful. My tripod has a few scuffs in the paint because of that.

All that stuff is really heavy though (mostly because my laptop weighs about 7 tons with the extended sheet battery attached), so I tend to only carry the T2i + lenses, tripod, and canteen when out and about and it's really nice for that. The quick side pocket makes it really quick to swing the bag around and switch lenses (although it takes a bit more effort to put it back into place), and the exterior seems to be really solidly built.

I wish it had a few more long pockets so I could store a few papers and my TouchPad, and the back could be a little more comfortable, but as a camera bag it is very good at what it does.

Lediur fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 6, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

I don't know if ya'll are big fans of camera pouches but I picked up a Peltor aviation headset pouch from a garage sale this weekend and it just happens to fit my GH2/GH1 with a short lens without an issue. The bag does a good job of looking like something other than a camera bag but it doesn't keep you from looking like a total goober if you choose to wear it on your belt.

Construction
The entire bag is stitched together using seam tape and single row stitching, to a tough Cordura like material for the outside shell. The inner lining is a softer nylon and is stitched to the tougher exterior shell. through the seams.

Between the exterior layer and the innermost layer is a thin (~ 5mm) layer of closed cell foam which offers a modest amount of padding through out the bag. The foam goes through the flap giving the front of the pouch giving the side of the pouch that faces away from your body a little extra protection (still not much as the flap only comes down half of the pouch.

Bag Features
There's not really much to this particular pouch. The top features a handle to carry it, it uses a relatively standard side release buckle, and there's a sinch closure on the inside of the bag to help you keep moisture out of your bag (not water tight).

Bag Modifications
In my searching on the Internet it looks like the pouch was originally shipped with a shoulder strap, but on the one I received it was removed. I'm not one for small shoulder pouches so someone did the hard work for me.

In Conclusion
It's a decent belt pouch that's reasonably well constructed and not terrible looking. If you come across one for cheap I'd snap it up and use it to protect your smaller cameras in a non-camera bag bag like a Chrome bag.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 14, 2012

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Ugh, I'm so tempted to get a Billingham

So while I'm spending dumb amounts of money on accessories, can anyone recommend a leather strap that'd look dashing on an AE-1 (and also a ME ofc)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Cute as heck posted:

Ugh, I'm so tempted to get a Billingham

So while I'm spending dumb amounts of money on accessories, can anyone recommend a leather strap that'd look dashing on an AE-1 (and also a ME ofc)

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

I have one of these on my Zorki 6. It owns.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

8th-samurai posted:

Ooh, that's perfect! Thanks!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, the price said, "think about this" and the weight said, "is this even really a practical travel bag."

And having scads of disposable cash won the day. Billingham 307. And it is so well balanced it's phenomenal'. Holds a lot looks good and easy to access. First overseas trip Monday, so we'll see how well it travels.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The only camera bag I have now is a shoulder bag that works great when I'm using my 35mm camera, but gets pretty heavy with my medium format camera, 3 lenses, and a couple film backs and I wouldn't want to carry it any significant distance. I'm planning on doing some light hiking this fall and bringing my Bronica SQ with me and would like a backpack bag to carry it and accessories around with.

My local store has some Thinktank backpacks that seem nice (Shapeshifter or Airport Commuter specifically), but if you guys have any suggestions on what would be good for a medium format system that would be great.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I currently have several lenses in a pile on my bedroom floor. That's probably safe.

I have most of my lighting gear in one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html

It won't hold my ringflash though because it's not wide enough. If you ever want a travel bag for gear that will hold a ton of poo poo and not be as crazy expensive as Pelican stuff, I highly recommend it.

Also anyone looking at a Billingham bag just buy an Ona instead. It's about half the price, doesn't look like an overnight bag for men over 50, and it's durable as hell. I have absolutely beaten the poo poo out of mine for over a year (I take it EVERYWHERE, including on hikes, mountain climbing, to work every day, etc) and it hasn't begun to fray or fall apart at all. If Indiana Jones has a camera, he would totally use this bag.

The only part of it that sucks is you basically have to choose between a gripped body or always taking your lenses off before putting them in the bag. I chose the gripped body.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

8th-samurai posted:

That looks unsecure as hell :stare:

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Best purchase ever, thanks again Samurai!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Seriously, that has to hold more securely than it appears, right?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I currently have several lenses in a pile on my bedroom floor. That's probably safe.

I have most of my lighting gear in one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html

It won't hold my ringflash though because it's not wide enough. If you ever want a travel bag for gear that will hold a ton of poo poo and not be as crazy expensive as Pelican stuff, I highly recommend it.

Also anyone looking at a Billingham bag just buy an Ona instead. It's about half the price, doesn't look like an overnight bag for men over 50, and it's durable as hell. I have absolutely beaten the poo poo out of mine for over a year (I take it EVERYWHERE, including on hikes, mountain climbing, to work every day, etc) and it hasn't begun to fray or fall apart at all. If Indiana Jones has a camera, he would totally use this bag.

The only part of it that sucks is you basically have to choose between a gripped body or always taking your lenses off before putting them in the bag. I chose the gripped body.

i carry my gripped 5diii with 24-105 plus hood in my billingham, no problem.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

It probably is unsecure as hell. I used split rings on mine.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

torgeaux posted:

i carry my gripped 5diii with 24-105 plus hood in my billingham, no problem.

The only problem is it's hideous.

Also I imagine a bag big enough to hold that is really bulky and obnoxious to carry around. I have a bigger shoulder strap camera bag that could hold a telephoto with the grip on easily, but it's annoying to use for anything but carrying poo poo to a fixed location to shoot. With the Ona I can walk around the city all day and never feel like it's in my way or dragging on my shoulder. It's basically a laptop bag outfitted for a camera.

I keep my camera out on a shoulder strap for the entire time I'm shooting, though. I know people who keep it in their bag and only pull it out when they're ready to take a shot, and my set-up would not work for them at all.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 25, 2012

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Also I imagine a bag big enough to hold that is really bulky and obnoxious to carry around. I have a bigger shoulder strap camera bag that could hold a telephoto with the grip on easily, but it's annoying to use for anything but carrying poo poo to a fixed location to shoot. With the Ona I can walk around the city all day and never feel like it's in my way or dragging on my shoulder. It's basically a laptop bag outfitted for a camera.

I keep my camera out on a shoulder strap for the entire time I'm shooting, though. I know people who keep it in their bag and only pull it out when they're ready to take a shot, and my set-up would not work for them at all.

I would assume you've at least seen a Billingham before, considering you're calling them hideous, so you should know that they're really not big at all. My Hadley Small is teeny, and carries my kit no problem. Then again, you are calling Billinghams hideous, so you might just be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Did Mr. Billingham bone your girlfriend or something?

In this thread about bags, it should be no shocker that different folks have different tastes. I considered the Ona Union Street since it's the same price as the Billingham Hadley Pro, with similar dimensions. I bought the Billingham because it looked better to me, and because numerous reviews I read about the Ona stated that it developed significant wear and tear after only a couple years of use, whereas there's still a thriving market for decade+ old Billingham bags.

• Locked thread