Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I always assumed teh Tower was not a physical Construct and the names Tower/Floors was just a useful label to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MadHat posted:

I always assumed teh Tower was not a physical Construct and the names Tower/Floors was just a useful label to explain it.

At some point in part 2 I think towards the end, Viole was talking to the protag of part 2 about the stars and he mentioned that if you went into the sky youd eventually just hit a blue painted ceiling.

Its entirely possible that its not a literal vertical tower, but each floor is definitely bounded by a physical barrier.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
There are mysterious towers with no windows or doors on Earth in some of the TUS panels that are still around. They're drawn the same way as the Tower in in one of Rachel's dreams of being at the top. However, there is no real evidence that the Tower is one of these. It's just a neat tidbit that shows SUI playing around with the same concept in some of his earlier conceptual work.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

There are mysterious towers with no windows or doors on Earth in some of the TUS panels that are still around. They're drawn the same way as the Tower in in one of Rachel's dreams of being at the top. However, there is no real evidence that the Tower is one of these. It's just a neat tidbit that shows SUI playing around with the same concept in some of his earlier conceptual work.

What are you talking about?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Sindai posted:

The final twist of the story is that it takes place in the same setting as Blame!. :getin:

fake edit: Toha heavy industries just randomly comes crashing into the tower at some point would be the most :wtc: thing ever.

Enjoying this comic far more than I thought I would when I picked up the first chapter early art aside it has been a fun ride so far.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Genocyber posted:

What are you talking about?

TUS is the larger setting that ToG takes place in. Some of the stories from it used to be available online, but the author pulled them when ToG came out because he wants to refine them and possibly publish them properly later on.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
New ToG release!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahahaha the little stories at the end are just great.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

For some odd reason everything the fake Viole said was voiced in my head by the Hercule english dub voice from DBZ, which made it even better. Looking forward to seeing Hwaryun's role in all this and getting some answers as to what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
"And they became a team."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The little one-offs at the end really were amazing. :swoon:

I'm hoping that Viole's eyes being shown when looking at Yeon means that he has truly gotten chummy with the new team.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
Shes back. Oh My God the redheads back. :swoon:

I cant wait until next week :f5:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh hey it's that woman.

Also, I absolutely love the establishing shot of floor 21 at the beginning of the chapter. I wish he could draw backgrounds like that all the time, but I guess it must be relatively high-effort compared to the regular art style.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 6, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is the redhead someone we know? Is it the girl that delivered the package to Rachel back on 2F?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
She's the one that attacked Rachel and got her eye shinsooed in half by Baam at the end of the crown game on floor 2.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!
drat SIU is cruel. Just finished reading this chapter and already looking forward to the next one. What are the odds that fire girl gets messed with by Hwa Ryun next chapter?

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

She's the one that attacked Rachel and got her eye shinsooed in half by Baam at the end of the crown game on floor 2.

It's a lot more than that, read the second part of this and the the second part of the next chapter as well. Yeah, she's kind of important.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Yeah, she basically (I dunno why this is spoiler material since it is old old news) is the liaison who brokered both Baam's betrayal and set him back on his path (presumably to FUG) afterwards.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Wow, that ramen story is strangely effective.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

(I dunno why this is spoiler material since it is old old news)
Because the fact that she shows up in this chapter is a spoiler.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, she basically (I dunno why this is spoiler material since it is old old news) is the liaison who brokered both Baam's betrayal and set him back on his path (presumably to FUG) afterwards.

... And also lost an eye in the process. She's not the greatest mastermind. Though I guess setting up a person to be betrayed by their dearest love is a pretty good means of revenge.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Thus "liaison." She seems clearly an intermediary to me, but also a hugely important one, since she is entrusted with all the direct hands-on work. Obviously if you're getting your hands dirty like that, you're ultimately low on the totem pole. But only relatively speaking.

(Her job when she lost her eye was to prevent Baam from advancing via the Crown Game, she just lost her eye as part of a successful gambit to provoke him into leaving the throne. I don't think she wants revenge, and she hasn't shown any signs of resenting him.)

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 6, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Thus "liaison." She seems clearly an intermediary to me, but also a hugely important one, since she is entrusted with all the direct hands-on work. Obviously if you're getting your hands dirty like that, you're ultimately low on the totem pole. But only relatively speaking.

(Her job when she lost her eye was to prevent Baam from advancing via the Crown Game, she just lost her eye as part of a successful gambit to provoke him into leaving the throne. I don't think she wants revenge, and she hasn't shown any signs of resenting him.)

She's also hasn't been shown being upset over her eye, which could mean that losing it wasn't a big deal for her.

Also, why the hell is she so popular? It seems that 90% of fanart is of her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Genocyber posted:

She's also hasn't been shown being upset over her eye, which could mean that losing it wasn't a big deal for her.

People love fancy eyepatches, I guess.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012

Genocyber posted:

People love Redheads man.

Cave Adapted
Jun 13, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Skin-tight bodysuit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
She beat the poo poo out of everyone during the Crown game, so that's kinda cool I guess. I don't think she's technically a regular though, so it's not too surprising.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

She beat the poo poo out of everyone during the Crown game, so that's kinda cool I guess. I don't think she's technically a regular though, so it's not too surprising.

Nope, she's a ranker that managed to start climbing the tower again, thanks to Headon. Considering she's still around with Baam, she's probably with FUG.

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

Slime posted:

Nope, she's a ranker that managed to start climbing the tower again, thanks to Headon. Considering she's still around with Baam, she's probably with FUG.

Well we don't know for sure that she is a ranker but her strength and knowledge is unusual for a regular. During the guardian test the guide Evan seemed to recognize her so it's possible that they have some connection.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The wikia says she's a Ranker, for whatever it's worth.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

The wikia says she's a Ranker, for whatever it's worth.

All that's actually been said is that she's a guide. I'm not sure if that implies anything like ranker status or not - it's just a role.

Though I assume you'd have to have some knowledge of what you're guiding people through.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Guides are kind of weird. Its an elite role that seemd to require a special connection to the Tower itself. Evan Edrok is actually in the top 100 rankers, for example, which might actually make him the highest ranked character to actually appear so far. The rank reflects their noncombat abilities, though.

I really doubt the Hwa Ryun started her climb at the same time as Baam and Rachel, regardless of whether she is an actual ranker. The important takeaway is that her entire presence as a 'regular' in the 2nd floor tests was shady as gently caress and was arranged to engineer the events of chapter 1.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 7, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I did a reread recently and theres a bunch of stuff I never noticed. Quants face is plastered on a lot of merchandise, including the Shinsoo meter that was used in part 2. Hes on a bunch of food items as well. I guess hes become a corporate whore.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pretty much everyone who likes the series should reread it. Maybe I just have bad reading comprehension, but after rereading the series I found that I had forgotten or misunderstood a lot of important things while reading the series week to week. I was somewhat neutral on it before hand, but it's become the (weekly) series I look forward to the most now.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
It doesn't help that it took the translators awhile to sort out some important terms (they note that they missed the distinctiveness of the term shinsoo until it is actually explained by Lee-Ro, for example).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Company's translation for the last chapter is out, if anyone's interested.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
ToG ToG ToG, it's time for another chapter of Tower of God. Not Company's scan, perhaps slightly lower quality with weird names but no creepnotes and fast!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well. That explains an awful lot.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That's a face we haven't seen in awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
So the new guy, Ha Jinsung is from the same family as Yuri. I do quite enjoy some of the subtleties, like him bringing fruit as a gift to the people he's planning to kill, or Goseng shaking frantically as she's cutting an apple.

And actually the names got a lot better, maybe I'm just conflating this one with NorthernColors' scan.