Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Romans 13:6-7 posted:

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 5, 2012

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a good collection of non-Caucasian Jesus depictions? I can't find too many.

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.

FRINGE posted:

Racists dont help other races, Christians dont help Muslims, etc...

Those things I snipped were from your article, I think you just skipped part of it.
I know where they were snipped from, but I think you missed the first article I posted where it establishes that American religious volunteer more with religious and with secular charities, so your whole line about "American religious won't associate with the other" is wrong.

LP97S posted:

Is there a good collection of non-Caucasian Jesus depictions? I can't find too many.
They aren't the best quality, but you can try
http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/asian_icons/index.html
http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/christian_art_native_amer/index.html
http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/aboriginal_christian_art/index.html
http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/african_christian_art/index.html
http://mattstone.blogs.com/photos/christian_art_middle_east/index.html

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thanks, Aisha!:3:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Aisha posted:

American religious volunteer more with religious and with secular charities, so your whole line about "American religious won't associate with the other" is wrong.
These two statements are not exclusive. In-group/out-group dynamics are not any kind of edgy new discovery, and that second article acknowledged as much.

The first thing you linked was about methodology, and "you said so". I am not signing up for anything because you asked us to.

UH OH!

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/06/22/study-finds-people-who-believe-in-heaven-commit-more-crimes/

quote:

Study Finds People Who Believe In Heaven Commit More Crimes

Oh wait!

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/science-people-who-believe-in-heaven-more-likely-to-commit-crime

quote:

A study ... finds that people who believe in hell are less likely to commit a crime

Surveys with "religious people" end up full of self-delusion, lies, and highly varied results! NEWS!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21966-is-gods-mercy-to-blame-for-high-crime-rates.html

quote:

Participants were given the opportunity to commit petty theft, with no chance of being caught, by lying about the number of anagrams they had successfully completed. Shariff's team found that those participants who had written about a forgiving god claimed nearly $2 more than they were entitled to under the rules of the game, whereas those in the other groups awarded themselves less than 50 cents more than they were entitled to.

... and let us not forget:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-04-highly-religious-people-compassion-non-believers.html
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2012/04/30/religionandgenerosity/

quote:

Highly religious people are less motivated by compassion than are non-believers

“Overall, we find that for less religious people, the strength of their emotional connection to another person is critical to whether they will help that person or not,” said UC Berkeley social psychologist Robb Willer, a co-author of the study. “The more religious, on the other hand, may ground their generosity less in emotion, and more in other factors such as doctrine, a communal identity, or reputational concerns.”

“Overall, this research suggests that although less religious people tend to be less trusted in the U.S., when feeling compassionate, they may actually be more inclined to help their fellow citizens than more religious people,” Willer said.

... and all of these fit together - the outlying piece is your attempt to shoehorn in the greatness of American Religiousity.

http://benrobjoh.com/education/unc/Religion%20and%20Philanthropy.pdf
http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/2012/06/religious-people-give-to-religious-charities/

quote:

Religious people give to religious charities

He found that the religious were indeed more likely to report donating and, on average, donated more:

quote:

On average, Catholics give $523.00 more than people with no religious preference, Jews give $2679.67 more, Protestants give $199.69 more, and non-Christians give $1425.97 more.
So far, it looks like a gold star for religion.

Then he looked at where people were sending their charity. The survey data breaks down the recipients of charitable giving into several categories: religious, combination (like the United Way), those that help the needy, health, education, youth or family services, arts and culture, neighbourhood improvement, environment, international aid and world peace, and other.

As you can see in the table, what he found was that Catholics and Protestants only gave more to religious charities, and not to secular charities. In fact, Protestants were actually less likely than the non-religious to give to cultural and environmental charities.

Jews were more generous than most on educational and cultural donations, while the non-Christians donated more to the environment - probably those damned New Age hippies!

Back in 2010, there was a similar analysis of the same survey data (although including earlier years) by Mark Ottoni-Wilhelm, at Indiana University. He found that Christians and the non-affiliated were equally likely to give to 'basic necessity' organisations (i.e. ones that help people in need of food, shelter, or other basic necessities). Jews were again more generous.

To me, these results support the idea that religious generosity is really about supporting fellow members of your tribe, rather than humanity in general. A recent cross-cultural analysis found that both Catholics and Muslims report that their charitable behaviour is primarily stoked out of a sense of duty or love for their god.

In contrast, research published earlier this year suggests that when the non-religious are motivated to give, they primarily do so out of a sense of compassion.

... but what matters much more is:
http://www.livescience.com/18683-rich-people-lie-cheat-study.html

quote:

Rich People More Likely to Lie, Cheat, Study Suggests

The cream of society may rise to the top, but so might the scum — researchers now find that people in the upper crust may be more likely to engage in lying, cheating and other kinds of unethical activity than those in lower classes.

These findings dovetail with other studies that also suggest more unethical behavior in the upper class. "A 2008 study of shoplifting found that upper-income and more educated participants were way more likely to have reported shoplifting in their lives — that's self-reported data, admittedly, but still interesting," Piff said. "Also, upper-income individuals are more likely to report having sped or breaking the speed limit."

"Juveniles of upper socioeconomic status are just as likely to engage in delinquent patterns of behavior as those of lower socioeconomic status, but they're driven by different things," Piff added. "Lower socioeconomic-status juveniles report that alienation and ostracization from communities and increased need leads them to commit certain types of transgressions, while wealthier adolescents report increased willingness to take risks and an increased sense of power and entitlement."

Other studies have shown that upper-class individuals are often less cognizant of others, worse at identifying the emotions others feel, less generous and altruistic, and more disengaged socially — for instance, checking their cellphones or doodling on paper during social interactions. Such research might support these new findings — it may be easier to act unethically toward others if you are not thinking about how they feel.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm buying that comic stat.

This is from my favorite political comic, What If #44

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm buying that comic stat.

This is from my favorite political comic, What If #44

I love that page so much. I wish Cap said, "America is a piece of trash" more often. :allears:

Here's Mr. Terrific fighting the Klan:

Also something interesting I found out about the old Superman radio show:

"Wikipedia posted:

The series delivered a powerful blow against the Ku Klux Klan's prospects in the northern USA. The human rights activist Stetson Kennedy infiltrated the KKK and other racist/terrorist groups. Concerned that the organization had links to the government and police forces, Kennedy decided to use his findings to strike at the Klan in a different way. He contacted the Superman producers and proposed a story where the superhero battles the Klan. Looking for new villains, the producers eagerly agreed. To that end, he provided information—including secret codewords and details of Klan rituals—to the writers. The result was a series of episodes, “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” in which Superman took on the Klan. Kennedy intended to strip away the Klan's mystique. The trivialization of the Klan's rituals and codewords was perceived to have had a negative impact on Klan recruiting and membership.

Reportedly, Klan leaders denounced the show and called for a boycott of Kellogg's products. However, the story arc earned spectacular ratings, and the food company stood by its support of the show.

The part about the code words is said to be untrue, however.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

DarkHorse posted:

Made a thing

Something I was playing with this afternoon

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

:tinfoil: :tinfoil:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

evilbastard posted:

Something I was playing with this afternoon

There doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation, chick-fil-a is more a copy of populationdensity.jpg

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Outside Nishi-Kajima Station, Hamamatsu City, Shizuoka-Prefecture, Japan.

Hamamatsu City is known for it's large Brazilian population. I'm guessing the city of Hamamatsu is having difficulties convincing it's foreign population to pay their taxes. That's just a guess though.

Google map for those interested: http://goo.gl/maps/VI9qS

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 18, 2014

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Pop. density definitely matches up with hate groups

The SPLC site just had a map with numbers on it so I quickly threw together this more "at-a-glance" map:

I would have liked to have something more like this

but... extreme :effort:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

peak debt posted:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation, chick-fil-a is more a copy of populationdensity.jpg

Counterpoint: There is only one Chick-Fil-A in New York City.

(from http://summergames.ap.org/article/8-years-later-athens-olympic-venues-decay)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
OMFG there's also a connection to Marx!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

There's a guy I'm Facebook friends that started out as a relatively reasonably guy a couple of years ago, discovered Ron Paul and has started a headlong descent down into crazy Alex Jones territory. It's been pretty entertaining to watch.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

LP97S posted:

The rest of the series is here: http://www.wischik.com/irene/cross/

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
Headline news

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Doing the Crip walk wearing Blood Colours? Ether Serena is very confused or this white, old idiot walking around in his fedora calling himself a journalist is talking out of his rear end about "The Blacks". I wonder which it could be?

*Terrorist fist jabs*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gooby on rails posted:

Counterpoint: There is only one Chick-Fil-A in New York City.

(from http://summergames.ap.org/article/8-years-later-athens-olympic-venues-decay)

Hey let's see what the Sarajevo Winter Olympics symbol looks like no- Oh... :smith:

Soviet Commubot posted:

There's a guy I'm Facebook friends that started out as a relatively reasonably guy a couple of years ago, discovered Ron Paul and has started a headlong descent down into crazy Alex Jones territory. It's been pretty entertaining to watch.

Oh look and there's that horrible little Guy Fawkes mask that the Anonymous kids adore so much.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 5, 2012

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fluoride Jones posted:

Here's Mr. Terrific fighting the Klan

In the same vein, here is a black man in the Wild West beating the poo poo out of vampire klansmen with a metal boxing glove loaded with silver bullets.

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.
Hm? What is this? Only one of these pop science articles/blog posts even tangentially addresses the point. :crossarms: That study shows religious people donate equally to non-religious for secular charities. Of course, this is donation, not volunteerism, it only looks at religious affiliation and not religiosity, and finally it certainly doesn't support your own point of "American religious not wanting to be associated with the other", if they are donating equally. In your first post you admitted this generalization was based off "anecdotes", and I am just letting you know your "anecdotes" paint a bad picture.

I'm not sure what the effects of merciful God, stronger beliefs in Heaven/Hell on crime rates have to do with what we are talking about, but I actually will address the "Non-religious are motivated by compassion" study, because this also seems to contradict your main point.

Non-religious only give a decent amount when prompted by...well, some sort of propaganda which tugs on their proverbial heartstrings, making the other person into a target for empathy. Religious give the same regardless, giving a higher amount than said non-religious on average (as noted in the study). I've heard both that this is because religious are motivated more by a sense of obligation, but it's also true that religious people already have higher tendencies toward compassion, with religiousity/agreeableness being one of the better established positive correlations between religion and the big 5 personality factors:

http://www.ulouvain.be/cps/ucl/doc/psyreli/documents/2002.PAID.ReliBFive.pdf

I don't think there is a monolithic entity of "American religious", and I am not trying to establish them as great. I just find this interesting and found your original assertion to be incorrect (because it is).

Hardcore Phonography
Apr 28, 2004

I have my eye on a suite in Baker Street.

Eggs posted:

Headline news

If she really did c-walk that's awesome, hail satan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Hardcore Phonography posted:

If she really did c-walk that's awesome, hail satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ08QKRl9Tc

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cjones posted:

In the words of Tricky Dick, "The Bohemian Grove, that I attend from time to time—the Easterners and the others come there—but it is the most faggy goddamn thing you could ever imagine, that San Francisco crowd that goes in there; it's just terrible! I mean I won't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco."
"There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white. Or a rape." -Richard M. Nixon, 37th President of the United States

EDIT: picture

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 6, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Is that a whistle?"

"WHO IS DRIVING?"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

"There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white. Or a rape." -Richard M. Nixon, 37th President of the United States

EDIT: picture

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really just loathe the term "Job Creation" at this point. It just sounds like Yet Another Political Meme and scummy. Its like people need these GODS to CREATE work for them; elect them now or suffer the consequences! Better vote for the right one or you'll die in a gutter!

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

So the NAAWP does exist. Wrap it up, reverse-racistailures.

Yes, this is real.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Aisha posted:

Non-religious only give a decent amount when prompted by...well, some sort of propaganda which tugs on their proverbial heartstrings, making the other person into a target for empathy. Religious give the same regardless, giving a higher amount than said non-religious on average (as noted in the study). I've heard both that this is because religious are motivated more by a sense of obligation, but it's also true that religious people already have higher tendencies toward compassion

I just find this interesting and found your original assertion to be incorrect (because it is).
No, your apparerent need to say "RELIGION IS GREAT! is making you silly.

I showed that different emphases on different parts of the same religious mythology will effect peoples real-world behavior.

I showed that different religious people gave to charity depending on the charity in question. One implication of this was usual in-group/out-group preferences which seems to confuse you.

I showed that several sources indicate that actual compassion is more likely coming from the acts of the non-religiously motivated, and one implication of this is that the religious givers (that tend to give to religious organizations and affiliated causes) partially give to maintain a level of social standing.

Sorry that basic social psychology is so confusing. :(

Lol:

quote:

it's also true that religious people already have higher tendencies toward compassion, with religiousity/agreeableness being one of the better...
Oh, did your paper talk about the positive functions of "agreeableness"? :ironicat:

Did it also imply that American fundies are in-group tribalists who dislike new things/people?

And nothing says "robust study" like:

If you really need some reason to defend religiousity there is one avenue that is not full of bullshit (so far), and that is the health/longevity effect that (I think it was Singer?) found. (In my opinion, as well as many others, this is partially attributed to a sense of surety, lessening of stress/decisions, and the sureness of social interactions (in-group).)

quote:

The researchers have a number of theories as to why longevity may be next to Godliness.

They believe that those closely involved in church life would have a larger social network, and hence more social support.

Less depression

In addition, lower levels of depression are known to have a wider health benefit.

In addition, religion provides a coping mechanism for stressful events or physical illness.
:ironicat:

quote:

Increased Life Expectancy Discourages Religious Participation, Research Finds

... In recent years, religious establishments have been concerned about decreasing religious expression and participation in most parts of the world, particularly in developed economies, with many churches seeing older and dwindling congregations. In the UK, church attendance has been consistently on the decline in the past 50 years.

... In poorer countries where life expectancy remains low, a larger share of the population, both young and old, is concerned about what happens after death, which naturally encourages religious participation.
I guess its a good thing for churches that the economy is hosed.

Of course all that longevity is a wash anyway since :ironicat: :

Lol. "The question is one of causation, and there is no clear answer. Whether religion leads directly to dysfunctionality, or religions merely flourish in dysfunctional societies, neither conclusion from this study flatters religion. The first tells us that religion is a hindrance to the development of moral character, and the second that religion hinders progress by distracting us from our troubles (with imaginary solutions to real problems)."
:ironicat:

Or as has already been mentioned:

Religion: basically one giant unending :ironicat:

CloneCommander
May 15, 2004

The droid army is in full retreat.

Just in case anyone isn't completely aware, this image is a total loving lie. There's nothing about it that isn't completely bullshit.

And on another note, this says a hell of a lot about how the state of journalism has changed in forty years.

Same photographer.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

I usually think that references to retarded internet memes like sweet bro and hella jeff is right down there with lolcats at the bottom of the humor pile, but this cracks me up every time.

Anyway,

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

FRINGE posted:

No, your apparerent need to say "RELIGION IS GREAT! is making you silly.
If you really need some reason to defend religiousity there is one avenue that is not full of bullshit (so far), and that is the health/longevity effect

Are you being deliberately obtsue? Nobody in this thread is trying to say "religion is great" and there would be no reason to bring up the link between religion and physical/mental health because it isn't at all pertinent to the discussion! How do you not get that. I am going to explain it to you one more time, and this is the last because holy poo poo:

You stated that religious people would volunteer less with the "other". This was shown to be wrong in two different studies posted ITT. One measured religious affiliation and showed that they donate equally, and one measured religiosity and showed that religious actually volunteer more with non-religious charities than non-religious do. Full stop.

quote:

showed that several sources indicate that actual compassion is more likely coming from the acts of the non-religiously motivated, and one implication of this is that the religious givers (that tend to give to religious organizations and affiliated causes) partially give to maintain a level of social standing.
No. Compassion does not "come from" the acts of non-religious, rather compassion is more critical to the charity of non-religious. Said experiment was not a "religious affiliated cause" and religious still gave more, so not only are your "implications" about "social standing" nowhere in the actual paper, they aren't even supported by your own broken reasoning.

Agreeableness is one of the big five factors of personality, it is a tendency toward compassion. As noted in that paper or in any other paper on personality you wish to look up, religion is very well related to it.

quote:

religion leads directly to dysfunctionality, or religions merely flourish in dysfunctional societies, neither conclusion from this study flatters religion.
Did you just complain that a peer-reviewed personality study relies to a certain degree on self-assessment, and then turned around to literally quote figures from Gregory S Paul of all people? Are you kidding? The Gregory S Paul paper is a non-reviewed non-study from a non-scientist which relies on some of the most cherry picked data imaginable. I can post a plethora of peer reviewed real studies right now which show religious people are much better socially adjusted in just about every way, and far less prone to delinquency, but I get the feeling it would be lost on you and you'll just move onto Zeitgeist or something instead.

Since you've already started posting non-reviewed studies, I now feel comfortable posting this image:

If you actually do want to make a thread one day to discuss religion's effects on human behavior, lose your childish attitude and reliance on emoticons, and gain some critical reading comprehension. Until then! :)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Lol. Agenda much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurotheology

quote:

neurotheology, also known as spiritual neuroscience, attempts to explain religious experience and behaviour in neuroscientific terms. It is the study of correlations of neural phenomena with subjective experiences of spirituality and hypotheses to explain these phenomena.

quote:

The first researcher to note and catalog the abnormal experiences associated with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) was neurologist Norman Geschwind, who noted a set of religious behavioral traits associated with TLE seizures. These include hypergraphia, hyperreligiosity, reduced sexual interest, fainting spells, and pedantism, often collectively ascribed to a condition known as Geschwind syndrome.

Vilayanur S. Ramachandran explored the neural basis of the hyperreligiosity seen in TLE using the galvanic skin response (GSR), which correlates with emotional arousal, to determine whether the hyperreligiosity seen in TLE was due to an overall heightened emotional state or was specific to religious stimuli. By presenting subjects with neutral, sexually arousing and religious words while measuring GSR, Ramachandran was able to show that patients with TLE showed enhanced emotional responses to the religious words, diminished responses to the sexually charged words, and normal responses to the neutral words. These results suggest that the medial temporal lobe is specifically involved in generating some of the emotional reactions associated with religious words, images and symbols.

Some studies have used neuroimaging to localize brain regions that are active, or differentially active, during experiences that subjects associate with "spiritual" feelings or images consistent with McKinney's thesis that feelings associated with religious experience are normal aspects of brain function under extreme circumstances rather than communication from God.

Research by Mario Beauregard at the University of Montreal, using fMRI imaging of Carmelite nuns, has purported to show that religious and spiritual experiences include several brain regions and not a single 'God spot'. As Beauregard has said, "There is no God spot in the brain. Spiritual experiences are complex, like intense experiences with other human beings." The neuroimaging was conducted when the nuns were asked to recall past mystical states and not while actually experiencing mystical states; "subjects were asked to remember and relive (eyes closed) the most intense mystical experience ever felt in their lives as a member of the Carmelite Order." A 2011 study by researchers at the Duke University Medical Center found hippocampal atrophy is associated with older adults who report life-changing religious experiences, as well as those who are "born-again Protestants, Catholics, and those with no religious affiliation".

Proponents of neurotheology say there is a neurological and evolutionary basis for subjective experiences traditionally categorized as spiritual or religious.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/homo-consumericus/201104/religious-beliefs-divine-revelations-or-mental-disorder

quote:

The evolutionary biologist and renowned atheist Richard Dawkins has lucidly pointed out that many religious beliefs would constitute signs of mental illness (e.g., schizophrenia) if these were not cloaked in the drapes of divinity. Take a supernatural belief rooted in religious doctrine, and call it divine "fact" X. If it is part of a person's religious narrative, it constitutes a belief that must be respected (and for one particular religion, one should not even criticize openly any of its belief system...no I am not referring to the Amish). However, if an individual held the same belief X, without it being part of a religious narrative, the individual holding this belief would be met with derision (if not concern for his/her mental wellbeing).

quote:

In 1980, Albert Ellis,4 the founder of rational emotive therapy, wrote in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology that there was an irrefutable causal relationship between religion and emotional and mental illness. According to Canadian psychiatrist Wendall Watters, “Christian doctrine and liturgy have been shown to discourage the development of adult coping behaviors and the human to human relationship skills that enable people to cope in an adaptive way with the anxiety caused by stress.”5(p148) At its most extreme, all religious experience has been labeled as psychosis

More recent studies indicate that the relationship between religion and depression may be more complex than previously shown. All religious beliefs and variables are not necessarily related to better mental health. Factors such as denomination, race, sex, and types of religious coping may affect the relationship between religion or spirituality and depression. Negative religious coping (being angry with God, feeling let down), endorsing negative support from the religious community, and loss of faith correlate with higher depression scores. As Pargament and colleagues state, “It is not enough to know that the individual prays, attends church, or watches religious television. Measures of religious coping should specify how the individual is making use of religion to understand and deal with stressors.”

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/homo-consumericus/201001/it-can-be-confusing-find-the-one-true-religion

quote:

I have often had conversations with religious people about their utter convictions that their religious narrative is THE correct one (as opposed to the narratives stemming from the other 9,999 religions). Usually, the response is one that defines the meaning of a tautology: "I know that it is the true narrative because my religion is the revealed truth."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104067676

quote:

If you stimulate the right side of your brain in a certain way, he said, you sense someone nearby. In this way, Persinger claimed to create "the prototype of the God experience." Persinger claimed that fully 80 percent of the 2,000 or so subjects who have donned the God helmet report feeling a sensed presence, as well as dizziness, vibrations, spinning, and visions.

Even better, Persinger believed he had found the sweet spot for spiritual experience: the right temporal lobe of the brain. The temporal lobe, which runs along the side of your head near the ears, is involved with memory, emotions, and meaning, as well as hearing and language comprehension.

Why zero in on the right temporal lobe? I asked.

"Mystical experiences are in large part associated with temporal lobe function," he said. "The visual experiences, the hearing, knowing, vestibular [balance] effects, the smell."

Persinger explained that the temporal lobe (and, in his view, not the presence of God) explains why the mystics of old were said to smell fragrant flowers.

"In fact, their sweat emits it," he said. "Areas of the temporal lobe probably affect the metabolism in such a way that your sweat has a certain smell, and many of the classic mystics are often described as having a smell about them that is very fragrant, like roses, and all of this is tied to temporal lobe function."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread