Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Capilarean posted:

Hasn't source code for Doom been released like 1 year after the game? I'd say it was one of the reason Doom is still active today, not something detrimental.
Nope. A quick check of DoomWiki.org tells me that the source code was released a little over four years after the original shareware release.

Not that it really matters considering how long it's been since Blood was released, but you're right in that it really hasn't hurt.

Actually, on the subject of source code, has anything cool popped out of the Doom 3 release yet? I know that Dark Mod's working on becoming stand-alone, but is there anything else going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

I understand his point, but no one's going to care enough about Blood multiplayer to have to cheat at it.
Even if they did it's a non-issue for private servers anyway, even in Doom you're the outcast who gets laughed off the server and IP blocked if you cheat, it's not like some infuriating situation like modern multiplayer games where the best you can hope for is some moderator looking at the flag you put on some asshat's account that won't get banned because they have no datalogs or something.

We just want Blood in a format we can play that doesn't feel archaic, not some MLG pro bullshit.

Also, the community doesn't split, just the developers of the ports themselves do, I'm sure everyone has more than 1 sourceport for use with different mods, if you don't then you're doing it wrong.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Er, how do we know they didn't just lose some or all of the source code for Blood and don't want to admit it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

Er, how do we know they didn't just lose some or all of the source code for Blood and don't want to admit it?
It's entirely possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an impossible task. The Shadow Warrior source code was partially lost, and JonoF and Wieder were able to patch it up using knowledge and code from handling the Duke3D source stuff.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I'm fairly certain that Matt Saetler said he had a full version but could not release it due to legal red-tape with the game's rights and everything.

Anyway all I can see to this news is where do I put my money?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

I'm fairly certain that Matt Saetler said he had a full version but could not release it due to legal red-tape with the game's rights and everything.

Anyway all I can see to this news is where do I put my money?
Well that'd do it. I don't remember Matt being the sort of guy who'd bullshit about something for internet cred.

And I don't think Jason's hurting for money nowadays, so I don't think you have to worry about that. :v:

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I know everyone's super excited about ROTT, but I just needed to get this in here.

http://imgur.com/a/mBVRN

:smug: :smugdroid: :smugdog:

Bring it on, bitches.
Well then. Looks like I'll have to up the ante with the next bosses...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

As we've been discussing, he wants to release an updated version of Blood, but doesn't want to release the source code because it would make cheating easier and interfere with the ability of people to "build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments".

Because the Doom and Quake scenes have been crippled by cheating, you know, which is unheard of in closed-source games like ArmA 2 and Battlefield 3. :rolleyes:

Capilarean posted:

Hasn't source code for Doom been released like 1 year after the game? I'd say it was one of the reason Doom is still active today, not something detrimental.

There is no way Doom would be as popular as it is today - vastly more popular than Blood - if it weren't open-source, and consequently upgraded to run well and look good even today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

It's entirely possible, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's an impossible task. The Shadow Warrior source code was partially lost, and JonoF and Wieder were able to patch it up using knowledge and code from handling the Duke3D source stuff.

It's just that the excuses he came up with make him sound, to me at least, like some or all of the source code has been lost. And if that's true, then obviously he can't release all of it, and frankly it'd be pretty embarassing to admit that.

So he has hokey excuses like "oh people will use it to cheat!" so he doesn't have to reveal the code's gone or damaged.

And the Shadow Warrior code wasn't completely lost, which is why it was able to be patched up. Could easily be that enough code has been lost from Blood and that it's code that can't really just be replaced from other BUILD engine games, that it's unrepairable without reverse engineering.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 5, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In other news, the community at cheathackers.com was dealt a crushing blow when they learned they wouldn't be able to cheathack in the upcoming Blood remake. It's always been a dream of cheathackers everywhere to cheat in a multiplayer Blood game, but I guess they'll have to go back to other hack-friendly games that released their entire source codes like APB, Day-Z and Battlefield 3.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just a heads-up that all the id games on Steam right now are discounted. Doom complete pack is $8.74, Heretic + Hexen is $2.49, and Quake collection is $7.49.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

It's just that the excuses he came up with make him sound, to me at least, like some or all of the source code has been lost. And if that's true, then obviously he can't release all of it, and frankly it'd be pretty embarassing to admit that.

So he has hokey excuses like "oh people will use it to cheat!" so he doesn't have to reveal the code's gone or damaged.

Excuses like that are a lot more embarrassing than "we lost the source code", though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stuntman posted:

Just a heads-up that all the id games on Steam right now are discounted. Doom complete pack is $8.74, Heretic + Hexen is $2.49, and Quake collection is $7.49.

Too bad the Id Super Pack has been removed. Instead of a super pack, they have the Quakecon Bundle which will probably expire once Quakecon is over. It's basically all the Id Software and all the Bethesda stuff for $99. If you're hardcore, you can also pre-order Dishonored ($49) to get Arx Fatalis for free and some unspecified discount on the Quakecon Bundle.

Anyway, Heretic SOTSR, Hexen, Hexen Deathkings, and Hexen II for one quarter of a :10bux: is loving worth it if you don't already have them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Looks like it (Pathways Redux) was updated with Steam support not too long ago. Guess I should give it a look.

Edit: Whoa, whoa... it was made by Blendo Games. The guys who made Flotilla, Atom Zombie Smasher, etc. Nice!

I'm guessing it's worth the $5 that Doom 3 currently costs, then?

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

It's an interesting old mod, but short; it consists of four levels, comprising part of the upper pyramid. I wouldn't recommend it if that's the only thing that interests you.

There are some other fun mods, like the Last Man Standing co=op mod, partial remakes of Quake and Hexen (similar to the Pathways mod, these are also incomplete), the aforementioned Dark Mod which is becoming its own thing with the source code release, and an obscure Doom Roguelike-thing, Dungeon Doom.

Dungeon Doom, from my memory, was really drat clunky but still interesting and I wish something like it was made in the Doom source-ports, or in other FPS mods. It is also possibly the only FPS mod with a cardfighting mechanic.

I don't mean it has card-duels with monsters, I mean it's like you take a deck of magic ability granting cards and hope for luck of the draw while you're fighting evil skeletons.

edit: ah, the moddb page doesn't have the actual mod on it, so here's the developer's mods on filefront. I forgot, he also made Commander Doom, the only Doom 3 RTS, and Ninja Tournament, the only fighting game mod for Doom 3 (it had key combinations for special moves, for that real clonky playing-Street-Fighter-on-a-computer experience).

He disappeared from the internet after 2007, possibly destroyed by his own creations.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 5, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

ToxicFrog posted:

Much like everything by Brendon Chung, it's great while it lasts, but it ends right when it really starts to get going. It's more like a re-imagining of what the demo for Pathways would've been if there had been one than a full remake.

I don't know where that guy got the idea that it was really obscure, though. It's probably one of the more well known Doom 3 mods due to being made by the guy who did Gravity Bone.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh, seriously? It's not the whole game?

gently caress

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The Kins posted:

Well then. Looks like I'll have to up the ante with the next bosses...
The Next Boss, eh?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

quote:

<jacehall> When source gets released, it can sometimes really cause a community to break into small factions for all the different versions. This is what happened to DOOM

"The source code being available allowed people to leave ZDaemon after it went to poo poo. Obviously, the best course of action is to be ZDaemon with no source available."

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I stay up late every night, my furrowed brow dripping sweat over the drafting table. Haven't eaten for days, haven't bathed for weeks; not enough time. Each plan I've made so far just goes straight into the waste-basket.

How do I do it? How can you preserve the mid-to-late 90s FPS fan community? How do you save them from themselves?

Needless to say, I popped another fat-boy and started the next draft,

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

ToxicFrog posted:

Oh, seriously? It's not the whole game?

gently caress

It used to be even shorter. It's neat I guess but unless you have extreme fondness of the orignal you won't get anything out of it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Interceptor Entertainment went ahead and uploaded their new rendition of "Goin' Down the Fast Way" on YouTube, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing (I sure am :allears: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Interceptor Entertainment went ahead and uploaded their new rendition of "Goin' Down the Fast Way" on YouTube, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing (I sure am :allears: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0
Thank you for this. I love heavy metal renditions of classic game music! It's beautiful *sheds tear*

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And on the topic of modding...

Russian Overkill is coming back, with support for what the author calls "a freaking multiplayer"! Here's a long video of the author and a buddy Falcon Punch-ing their way through Ultimate Torment & Torture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80yJ7hz6GA

WildWeasel's been hard at work on Terrorists!, and its now on it's fifth beta! Improvements include a weapon upgrade system and lots of little tweaks and fixes.

And here's a weird one: Doomvengers, a co-op multiplayer mod that combines various weird-rear end mods together (literally, you'll need to have them all loaded before the Doomvengers wad) into a big class-based mess.

Reive
May 21, 2009

If you haven't watched John Carmack's QuakeCon keynote yet and are a tech nerd, do it, he's a loving genius and my hero:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Reive posted:

If you haven't watched John Carmack's QuakeCon keynote yet and are a tech nerd, do it, he's a loving genius and my hero:

I caught the livestream, I think my favourite part was him talking about beaming images directly into your eye with lasers. And how he needed his buddy to tell him that testing this was a terrible idea. After he'd already done the test.

This man is a mad scientist.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Lork posted:

Much like everything by Brendon Chung, it's great while it lasts, but it ends right when it really starts to get going. It's more like a re-imagining of what the demo for Pathways would've been if there had been one than a full remake.

I don't know where that guy got the idea that it was really obscure, though. It's probably one of the more well known Doom 3 mods due to being made by the guy who did Gravity Bone.

Mostly because I have found zero footage of it beyond the trailer and not much discussion of it anywhere. Granted, I'm not a part of any serious DooM 3 communities...

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Is blood really that Hard or do i just suck? On the easiest difficulty even.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Eulisker posted:

Is blood really that Hard or do i just suck? On the easiest difficulty even.

It is pretty hard, yeah. Haven't played on the easiest difficulty though so can't really comment on that specifically.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah Blood is pretty hard. Tons of hitscan enemies and enemies that can kill you in a couple of hits. When in doubt throw dynamite at everything.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cephalectomy posted:

Yeah Blood is pretty hard. Tons of hitscan enemies and enemies that can kill you in a couple of hits. When in doubt throw dynamite at everything.

Yeah, Blood gives you tons of dynamite, and the safest thing to do upon opening a door is throw a bundle in there if there's the slightest chance of bad-guys being on the other side.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So, I started replaying Doom 3 and I'm also replaying Quake and Quake 2 right now too. It's kinda surprised me what I'm finding is the biggest fun killer in Doom 3. It's not the monster closets or the level design or the flashlight or anything like that. Those don't actually bug me much, if at all. What does bug me is how loving weak all the guns are, both sound and power wise. The machine gun sounds like a type writer. The shotgun takes multiple headshots to take down a shotgun zombie. And the enemies don't really react to getting hit unlike Quake 2 where if you take an enemy unaware you can interrupt their attack by doing enough damage, so it just feels like you're clicking at them til they die. I kinda wish that so much of the hate hadn't been piled on the minor flaws when that big one is what really separated it from old school id shooters, IMO anyways.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's a few weapon sound mods out there, though I can't comment on them because I've never used them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you want better sounds, I've been using since Doom 3 release Trent Reznor's sound pack in here and if you want some weapon rebalance I made a small mod years ago (along with with a duct tape flashlight) that gives weapons a bit more oomph, letting you play on harder difficulties while enjoying them (can upload it if you want).

There are lots of weapon balancing mods that are quite nice (and lots of eye candy ones) that make Doom 3 a good game. At least it was easy to mod from day 1.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Guillermus posted:

If you want better sounds, I've been using since Doom 3 release Trent Reznor's sound pack in here and if you want some weapon rebalance I made a small mod years ago (along with with a duct tape flashlight) that gives weapons a bit more oomph, letting you play on harder difficulties while enjoying them (can upload it if you want).

There are lots of weapon balancing mods that are quite nice (and lots of eye candy ones) that make Doom 3 a good game. At least it was easy to mod from day 1.

I'm trying to replay them as originally intended gameplay wise, just to compare them to when I played them as a kid/teen, but thanks for the sound mod. I totally forgot that they dropped Trent's sound work, that was a big mistake.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I kinda wish that so much of the hate hadn't been piled on the minor flaws when that big one is what really separated it from old school id shooters, IMO anyways.

No I'm with you on that one, but for me it's just one of the reasons why Doom 3 just isn't as enjoyable as it should have been. I honestly didn't mind the light/dark mechanics, but the weapons were boring ("BioForce Gun" :jerkbag:) and lacked the charm of their 90's predecessors.

Actually, lacking charm is what Doom 3's flaws are all about. None of the enemies have character and are generic bullet sponges. Former Humans shoot at you strategically and hide behind cover; they might as well have been living humans, Demons are just bears that aren't fun to chainsaw anymore, and Hell Knights are generic alien-looking things. On top of that, the Revenants and Arch Viles are totally nerfed to the point where they don't instill the panic and desperation to loving KILL THEM ASAP that they used to. Level aesthetics are the same metal hallways over and over again too (though it becomes a bit more interesting once you get near the end of the game).

On top of all that, this is what pisses me off the most: The game was deadpan as all hell. Doom 3 was the first id Software game since Quake 3 and I expected it to contain their usual sense of humor. What do you get instead? No exaggerated gibbing, no infighting, no swarms of weak monsters that can be splattered by a single BFG burst. The game takes itself too seriously and it's pretty out of character for the development company. Hell even Quake 2 was more entertaining in these areas.

The sad truth is that Doom 3 is just chest-high cover and regenerating health away from being a modern-era shooter.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 6, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mak0rz posted:

("BioForce Gun" :jerkbag:)

:eng101: This is from the movie, the games never adopted it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

gooby on rails posted:

:eng101: This is from the movie, the games never adopted it.

I could swear I heard it in one of the briefing discs that you can pick up. I only ever remember it being called "a Big loving Gun..." in the movie.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

drat, half the question askers at the end looked morbidly obese.

I loved when Carmack was talking about WebGL and JavaScript and calling these things "offensively wrong" and "inspiring violent revulsion". :D

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm trying to replay them as originally intended gameplay wise, just to compare them to when I played them as a kid/teen, but thanks for the sound mod. I totally forgot that they dropped Trent's sound work, that was a big mistake.

Yeah I get the vanilla run concept. The sad truth is that Doom 3 needed a few tweaks from the start and two must-have mods for me where Trent's sounds and a flashlight mod because for me running around in the dark killed the Doom mood. Hell, even Quake 4 wich isn't a great game at all felt more "Doom" but hopefully with ID Tech 4 source code release we can get some good stuff based on ID's job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bought the Doom, Quake, and Hexen packs on Steam today... what do I need to do to get these things running pretty on a modern system? I'm most interested in mouse-look in the Doom 1/2, Quake, and Hexens as well as wide screen support for the Quakes.