Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress me, I am the worst at interview questions. Not only do I freeze up whenever I'm asked one period, not just in interviews, I always give really retarded answers. Some of the worst are "why did you choose this job" and "what do you see yourself doing in a few years", cause I have no idea how to answer those questions. I just started man :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress me, I am the worst at interview questions. Not only do I freeze up whenever I'm asked one period, not just in interviews, I always give really retarded answers. Some of the worst are "why did you choose this job" and "what do you see yourself doing in a few years", cause I have no idea how to answer those questions. I just started man :(

"Why did you choose this job?"

Answer: Because I've read a lot about X company and discovered that they have [a lot of growth potential/a lot of experience] in Bio engineering. This position would give me a lot of exposure to the industry and allow me to quickly learn from my experienced colleagues.

"What do you see yourself doing in a few years"

Answer: Realistically, it's difficult to tell where I'll be in a few years, simply because I'm not experienced enough in the engineering industry to make that decision. However, I've been very interested in learning more about [whatever field of engineering the job relates to] and hoping to pursue a career in that field.

Those are generic answers to use against those kinds of bullshit HR questions. Obviously, they'll probably need tweaking, mainly because I know nothing about engineering, but the important aspect is to show enthusiasm for field, the company, and the industry. Don't be apathetic, and research the company and even the interviewers. You can expect fundamental questions like that, so there's absolutely no reason for you to be going into interviews without some kind of decent response. Bullshit HR questions are basically the employer's way of determining "is this guy trying at all?"

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 1, 2012

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

How the hell are you supposed to get a job if nobody wants anything but "absolutely perfect"?
There are several ways to read the part you quoted but none I can see that have anything to do with "absolute perfection."

Managers prefer not to have to vet people. A primary way to do that is working the connections of their current employees. This serves their interests, but it sucks royally for anyone who has some kind of career goal that is at odds with "get college-recruited to some arbitrary city and stay there for life."

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 1, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
When I've been asked that I assumed it was if I was going to be a permanent employee or move on in a few years. Like, in my case, I was asked what my long term options were because they didn't want to have to replace me in 2 years if I ran off to vet school or moved out of state. They were looking for a long term, permanent employee and they just wanted to make sure that's what I wanted to be.

Pollyanna, it sounds like you're kind of taking it very literally. I'm pretty sure it's perfectly acceptable to just be like, "well I'm not sure right now but I know I'd like to work in (so and so) field". When they ask you why you want to work for their company, tell them, why DO you want to work there? There must be something redeeming or you would have applied to Walmart instead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I basically told them that I got interested in CS through learning about medical image processing during my major, and that I was interested in their company after hearing about the work environment and opportunities from a friend who works there.

I went to the Career Center at my college today, and they helped a lot with job searching...basically, the idea is to network a lot v:v:v but they did explain what the deal is with using Indeed and LinkedIn and whatever.

edit: Also, I have a question.

I applied to an "academic year internship" as a sort of backup plan, and the company expressed interest in me (as much as a phone appointment says about that). Thing is, I am also interested in their more "fulltime" position listed here. Should I bring up my interest in this as well during the interview? Or if I am applying for that internship would they believe that I am disqualified or something?

Basically what if there's another position that I'm interested in at the company that responded to a different application I put in?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 1, 2012

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone have any experience with being given a sort of writing sample test with a potential employer? I was recently asked to provide a couple of product description samples (the business does a lot of catalog based sales). Not sure what they were expecting but what I came up with seemed at least up to par with the samples they provided.

The other thing I'm not sure about is if I should follow up with them and how to go about doing it. It's been just about a week since I've turned my samples in, so I'm thinking of sending an email within the next couple of days asking where I stand / what's the next step?

Suggestions? I think I'm just getting antsy because waiting around unemployed blows and this is the first job that I would actually enjoy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've got a bit of a dilemma. One prospective job is one that I am really really interested in, like for-real important to my career, but it's literally smack in the middle of Downtown Boston and that can be something like an hour to hour-and-a-half long commute. The other is different, but is much closer and I have a better idea of the compensation.

I can't figure out which one I would take :ohdear: I really really like the first job but it's from Framingham to Boston, which is a loving bitch of a morning commute, especially on I-90. What should I do?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you love the job and they make you a competitive offer, move into the city.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Guinness posted:

Move into the city.

Yeah this. Take the one you really like, and commute while you're looking for a better place, preferably as close as possible/affordable in the city.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I agree, just move. Aren't your parents really unsupportive and controlling or something anyway?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ayup.

gently caress it, let's see if there's a way to disassemble IKEA poo poo.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pollyanna posted:

Ayup.

gently caress it, let's see if there's a way to disassemble IKEA poo poo.

There is. That's the whole point. You can download instruction booklets for the different items online, which might help.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Of course, this all depends on the coming weeks...if I don't get the job, that's that, and I won't have to worry about moving there. But I'll make plans either way.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Pollyanna posted:

I've got a bit of a dilemma. One prospective job is one that I am really really interested in, like for-real important to my career, but it's literally smack in the middle of Downtown Boston and that can be something like an hour to hour-and-a-half long commute. The other is different, but is much closer and I have a better idea of the compensation.

I can't figure out which one I would take :ohdear: I really really like the first job but it's from Framingham to Boston, which is a loving bitch of a morning commute, especially on I-90. What should I do?

How far along on the process of interviewing are you? I'm saying this as a person who has also had to make a lot of plans to acquire a job (getting a car, moving, etc), only to get the dreaded third round cut. It felt like even more of a let down once you started realistically figuring out the logistics of everything, so be cautious if you aren't that far into the process of getting too ahead of yourself.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Noah posted:

How far along on the process of interviewing are you? I'm saying this as a person who has also had to make a lot of plans to acquire a job (getting a car, moving, etc), only to get the dreaded third round cut. It felt like even more of a let down once you started realistically figuring out the logistics of everything, so be cautious if you aren't that far into the process of getting too ahead of yourself.

I'm a whole phone interview through the process. :v: Yeah, I'm jumping the gun, but it did get me thinking about how it would work if it happened.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Yeah, for your own sake (and to an extent the thread), you really gotta ease up. You're going to get yourself worked up too soon and it will make the disappointment worse. A phone interview, especially the first one, is essentially to make sure you aren't dead.

You are over-thinking things. I know because I've been in that spot. Try to be more zen about things. It sounds stupid and bullshitty, but it'll really help you to keep your focus during interviews and the job hunt.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I graduated in May with a Masters in Political Science. I've been looking for work ever since.

I've already done the internship thing. I interned for a US Senator and I also interned through my County Executive's office. One would think that in an election year I would be a hot commodity - I sure did. Turns out that everyone already has their paid staffs, and I am not keen on interning any more.

I've been trying to break into local government but it is a pain in the rear end. The state is impenetrable, there are too many gatekeepers located too far away (in Albany) to ever get a foot in the door. The same tends to go for the federal government as well. Nassau County, where I live, is completely broke and firing employees, so that's a no-go. This has led me going to the towns, which are in or just coming out of a hiring freeze and the villages, which are tiny, numerous and already have all the employees they want.

I've been getting audiences with anyone who will have me. My assemblywoman, the chief of staff of my state senator, local mayors, the heads of the water and sewer districts, my town councilwoman, anyone.

The only place I've managed to get an interview was with a lobbyist and despite sounding interested at the time they were uninterested in reality. I've looked outside my field and again, nothing but silence in response to application after application.

It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of specializing, since apparently that is necessary. I applied to a job in nuclear policy and was rejected on the ground that I didn't have the educational background. Now I'm considering getting said background in the hopes that such a job might exist in a few months.

I have an advanced degree, excellent grades, great credentials and it seems like I'm getting nowhere fast. Help!

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pollyanna posted:

They're checking to see if you have any sort of bullshitting (i.e. communication) skills and can give an acceptable answer and "play the game." Everyone knows the correct answer to "Why do you want this job?" is "because I need the money... why else would anyone work for this lame rear end corporation?"

It's pretty comparable to taking an oral exam in a foreign language class.
The teacher/professor will ask you, "Anna, what do you want to be when you grow up?" The teacher doesn't give a gently caress what pipe dream future you think is in store for you. The point is to test your speaking, pronunciation, etc., abilities. But of course, you can't just start rambling off some Rammstein lyrics, or whatever, because it doesn't pertain to the question. Despite your teacher not caring about your future, they still want your answer to be relevant to the question.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
So like many others in this thread I am fresh out of college and looking for a job -- and unlike many I lucked out and found that a relative of a close friend is pretty high up at a certain large CA pharmaceuticals company known for treating their employees well and generally being awesome and this person is willing to help me get a job there. I have a BS in Bioengineering with a good GPA, an interest in pharma and some really good lab work/team management experience, so this is pretty much my dream job.

My question is: I've been told to "be aggressive" by the HR people. Besides calling them up and telling them all about how I love their company and would be thrilled to work there, what else can I do? I'm not a very outgoing person, but I'm willing to work my rear end off to do what it takes. Any advice?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

nonnemaus posted:

My question is: I've been told to "be aggressive" by the HR people. Besides calling them up and telling them all about how I love their company and would be thrilled to work there, what else can I do? I'm not a very outgoing person, but I'm willing to work my rear end off to do what it takes. Any advice?

Keep in touch with the HR folks after you submit your application so it doesn't fall through the cracks and it reinforces how much you actually want the job as opposed to handing it in and waiting for them to make the next move.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hello fellow job-seekers. Graduated in May from a major university with a psychology degree and 6 years of administrative/program coordination work in their admissions department. Decided to move out to Denver in June because a) I hated MI, lived there for 25 years and needed a change and b) I figured it'd be the most convenient time to make a move. Well..I'm starting to regret that decision. Got my resume & cover letter done by DustingDuvet in SA Mart, I've been applying to an average of 8-10 jobs per weekday since I got out here, and..nothing. I've been scouring Indeed, Beyond, Monster, & Craigslist, as well as checking University job sites, and the farthest I got was a 2nd interview with the entire office of a small real-estate company, and I got beat out by someone with real estate experience, which I can't hate on. I've touched up my cover letter for every position I've applied to, so I think I've got my bases covered.

My primary strengths come from the fact that I've interviewed, hired, trained, & supervised staffs between 20 & 120 student employees, as well as supervised a large campus student volunteer program, but I've also got a very strong background in general office work (filing, revising documents, professional phoning/emailing, etc...) It's astounding to me that I can't even get to the interview phase for a general office job, but I'm sure there are folks more qualified than I am applying as well. It sucks because I think that my graduation date is working against me in the experience department, as I was working full time with the department for several years to gain work experience & minimize my student loans.

Fun story, I'm 'employed' with 4 staffing agencies now, and each one's told me to check in weekly with my agent to let them know my availability. Well, I checked in with one last week, and the response I got was: "There's actually a full-time receptionist position available, but I think you'd get bored. I'll keep you posted about other opportunities." When I politely replied that, while I appreciated her concern, I'd still like to see the job information to make that determination for myself, I got no reply, and no reply from her this week after my check-in either. She also didn't reply when I asked her for copies of the computer exams I was required to take (93-96% on all of those dumb MS Office suite java tests they ask you to take at those places. Super.

Anyway, just wanted post & vent/commiserate with the rest of the unemployed..I dropped my resume off at a few grocery stores in the area today since I'm going to run out of rent money very soon (month-to-month lease, but I'd rather not drive back to MI & live with my parents) and I'll do anything but cold-call sales or telemarketing pretty much. Wish the best of luck for anyone else in a similar position. If anyone has any sort of advice, based on my background, about other industries or jobs to take a peek at based on my work experience, I'd greatly appreciate it.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hello fellow job-seekers. Graduated in May from a major university with a psychology degree and 6 years of administrative/program coordination work in their admissions department. Decided to move out to Denver in June because a) I hated MI, lived there for 25 years and needed a change and b) I figured it'd be the most convenient time to make a move.

If I may ask, why Denver? Not that it's not a great place to live, but usually there's some sort of factor that brings people to far off places, and that's often work or school, which it appears you didn't have either.

If you're not attached to the area and don't want to go back to MI, have you considered looking at another area that might have slightly better employment opportunities? Maybe somewhere where you have some existing contacts, or there are a higher concentration of companies in whatever your chosen industry is.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
Alright goons, I need some advice.

The job search is still fruitless so I've tried to figure out ways to improve my chances, however slightly. I found that I've sent out so many applications, I would occasionally get a callback or an email update about positions I couldn't even remember applying to (two phone interviews which led nowhere and a follow-up email to let me know they were still making their decision). I've started keeping track of every job I apply to as well as the date I applied, in a ledger I keep on me.

I want to follow up on every one of these jobs. Nothing annoying, just a phone call or an email to see how considerations for the position are coming along and if they need any more information on my end, just so they know I'm not shooting out hundreds of apps blindly (which is fairly close to what I'm doing).

So, my question is, how long should I wait before I follow up? I was thinking two weeks, but I don't want to wait too long.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DukAmok posted:

If I may ask, why Denver? Not that it's not a great place to live, but usually there's some sort of factor that brings people to far off places, and that's often work or school, which it appears you didn't have either.

If you're not attached to the area and don't want to go back to MI, have you considered looking at another area that might have slightly better employment opportunities? Maybe somewhere where you have some existing contacts, or there are a higher concentration of companies in whatever your chosen industry is.

One of my closest friends moved out here a few years ago, and I absolutely fell in love with the area during my trips out to visit him. I love being outdoors: hiking, camping, rafting, skiing, mountains, as well as city stuff: concerts, sports, decent restaurants, downtown areas in general, and Denver had pretty much everything within an hour drive. Add to that my (doctor diagnosed) seasonal affective disorder, and Denver's 300+ days of sun a year pretty much sealed the deal. In retrospect, maybe not the smartest reason for moving, but I've gotta live with my choices.

My brother in law has a lot of connections back in MI & he's been sending my resume out a lot there, but as of right now, my funds are such that I'm either here or in MI since I don't have enough money anymore to really travel for interviews/relocate without a guaranteed job offer.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any advice on how to get an entry level job with no experience, and only an AA from college? I'd love to work for a big corporation and climb up the corporate ladder, but I hate those online interview applications. I feel like even with a 4 year bachelors theres nothing that will help me be a shoe-in for any entry level job short of knowing someone within the company. And even thats a stretch.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
I should frame my comments by saying I'm a graduate (from a middling university UK) this year who's gotten into a dream job in the design consultancy industry and have friends in graduate programs for global corporations and have experienced or know of the process they've gone through, funemployment, and freelancing

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any advice on how to get an entry level job with no experience, and only an AA from college? I'd love to work for a big corporation and climb up the corporate ladder, but I hate those online interview applications. I feel like even with a 4 year bachelors theres nothing that will help me be a shoe-in for any entry level job short of knowing someone within the company. And even thats a stretch.

If you live near a city or even larger towns there will be groups and networks that hold events for networking & socialising -find them, have something interesting to tell people and start making connections; eventually you'll get the right person interested in hiring you or knowing of an opportunity to suit you.

monkeyboydc posted:

Alright goons, I need some advice.

The job search is still fruitless so I've tried to figure out ways to improve my chances, however slightly. I found that I've sent out so many applications, I would occasionally get a callback or an email update about positions I couldn't even remember applying to (two phone interviews which led nowhere and a follow-up email to let me know they were still making their decision). I've started keeping track of every job I apply to as well as the date I applied, in a ledger I keep on me.

I want to follow up on every one of these jobs. Nothing annoying, just a phone call or an email to see how considerations for the position are coming along and if they need any more information on my end, just so they know I'm not shooting out hundreds of apps blindly (which is fairly close to what I'm doing).

So, my question is, how long should I wait before I follow up? I was thinking two weeks, but I don't want to wait too long.

Reasonably a week is probably the longest to push it -beyond that they'll start to forget who you are or you'll get lost in the stack of paperwork. Make sure you set up callback points within your opening contact so that you put the ownace on them to contact you or give yourself justification for a sooner followup.

One point I would cover is saying you applied for so many jobs you'd forgotten who they were -this scattershot strategy to job hunting has always seemed a bit haphazard to me, and here's why: A company wanting to hire you are spending a hell of a lot of money on having you in their office and doing work, and they're only reasonably going to pick people who they think are awesome for that job (Or at least, that's what I'd be thinking as an employer). Filling in an application form and attaching a cover letter just doesn't do the job as a graduate in this challenging market.

Focus and hone your technique to a razor sharp focussed approach to jobhunting: Find a company, research them, find the right people, plan the attack and go both barrels; being the guy who is able to contact the hiring manager or go to that networking event or talk about stuff that's relevant to the company's most recent developments will put you so far ahead of everyone else that they'll have to hire you

nonnemaus posted:

Being aggressive seems like a misnomer; you don't go to an interview room and start a fist-fight with the interviewer! This is hinting at what I was getting at in the previous paragraph: You have to be the kind of guy who won't give up this job opportunity lying down. You have to put in the time and work to find out everything that this company stand for and how you can fit in to that -without sounding like you're reading off a script or trying to tick boxes.

It's easier to sell people an idea than it is a product. Sell to the interviewer the notion that you're a young confident Bioengineer who wants to do great work, seeks personal development and really has a passion for the job and sitting within the company. By the sounds of things you have that already, so if anything it's just not letting yourself get caught up in the pressure and tension of that 45 minute conversation and letting it come out gracefully.

How to do that? For me it came slowly and organically over the last two years, for others it happens quicker, some people have just 'had it' their whole lives, and others find the process slow and forced. Find techniques to build up your confidence, understand the keys to emotive writing and speech, watch and consider charismatic public figures.

AlmightyPants posted:

It's gotten to the point where I'm thinking of specializing, since apparently that is necessary. I applied to a job in nuclear policy and was rejected on the ground that I didn't have the educational background. Now I'm considering getting said background in the hopes that such a job might exist in a few months.

I have an advanced degree, excellent grades, great credentials and it seems like I'm getting nowhere fast. Help!

You're trying to enter an extremely short-budgeted area of the job market in a recession, and it's not easy -I've got a fair few friends in the same situation and it's really not fun at all, frustration is the order of the day.. but eventually some of those people have gotten jobs and worked through it.

Specialising is good -but make sure you can financially support yourself doing it, otherwise you'll end up down the line in possibly the same situation with a big hole in your back pocket.

One tactic is to try and make some allies in this war on unemployment. One pair of eyes looking for a job is one thing, but if you can find yourself a mentor, a co-conspirator who already has a job, or even a contact that you ended up charming but not getting a job out of who are willing to help you get a job then you've hit gold. I've helped three of my friends get jobs since starting mine -but I was only able to do this because they told me they were on the look-out

DaveP fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 5, 2012

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

DaveP posted:

You're trying to enter an extremely short-budgeted area of the job market in a recession, and it's not easy -I've got a fair few friends in the same situation and it's really not fun at all, frustration is the order of the day.. but eventually some of those people have gotten jobs and worked through it.

Specialising is good -but make sure you can financially support yourself doing it, otherwise you'll end up down the line in possibly the same situation with a big hole in your back pocket.

One tactic is to try and make some allies in this war on unemployment. One pair of eyes looking for a job is one thing, but if you can find yourself a mentor, a co-conspirator who already has a job, or even a contact that you ended up charming but not getting a job out of who are willing to help you get a job then you've hit gold. I've helped three of my friends get jobs since starting mine -but I was only able to do this because they told me they were on the look-out

I've done the whole making contacts thing. I have friends on the look-out. I've been trying to charm anyone who will spare me 5 minutes. I've been chasing after my professors to give me leads but, as is to be expected, they are varying degrees of useless. Career counselors are no better - they just directed me to jobs websites. I've considered a headhunter but I have no idea about how good such services are.

One of the big problems is that there are jobs in New York City - Manhattan specifically - but most of them don't pay enough to justify themselves. I have a Masters degree for goodness sakes - I shouldn't have to dump one tenth of my pre-tax income into transportation into, out of and around the city. At $30,000 a year that's exactly what I would be doing.

Another problem is that I keep seeing jobs that want specializations that I don't have and/or experience that I can not possibly have due to my age.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011
This is the unfortunate reality of trying to find public sector work in a country that's trying to cut down on public spending and is in a recession - people don't want to hire, they may even be having to downsize, and the graduate market is saturated enough that internships are a valid alternative for them to leverage young talent -and for your masters to not have much extra capital over your compatriots. Experience is worth a hell of a lot more than education right now (and one could argue rightfully so)

Options:
-Keep doing internships -they're lovely, they're underpaid but they're the only way you reasonably have to get work in that sector in the short term and build up that experience. You can't reasonably be precious over where your money goes, because that's simply the result of the choice of where you are living, not where the work is or how the job market treats people (While I was on a year long internship travel costs were 20+% of my pay packet) -a graduate with x experience is worth the same amount to an employer whether they're 5 or 50 miles away (in fact if anything living further away is more of a burden because it means you're less flexible but that's not a huge factor)

-Widen your scope to relevant areas elsewhere -A friend in the same situation went on to work in political-academic publishing. She can always come back to politics another day, but for now the market isn't buying.

-Go and specialize, but face the risk of limiting your options down the line.

Option 2 would be my personal choice, but if you can support yourself financially option 3 isn't such a bad gamble. Option 1 will feel exploitative and lame, but is also a valid choice and if you really want this shouldn't be struck off

DaveP fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 5, 2012

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
e: nvm

Funambulist fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 6, 2012

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I just did what I didn't think I'd actually have to: I turned down a job that had pretty good entry-level pay, and out of this world benefits. And it's not because I had another job on the table.

I didn't believe that the job was right for me at the moment, or for the future. It didn't further my career goals or make me look like a better candidate for a position in a field that I really want, it was really just a bump (a sizeable one though) in pay for a job I truly believe I'd hate having to go to everyday.

Reassure me that I am not an idiot haha.

ps. I did not apply for this job, they contacted me after seeing my resume on Monster.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Noah posted:

I just did what I didn't think I'd actually have to: I turned down a job that had pretty good entry-level pay, and out of this world benefits. And it's not because I had another job on the table.

I didn't believe that the job was right for me at the moment, or for the future. It didn't further my career goals or make me look like a better candidate for a position in a field that I really want, it was really just a bump (a sizeable one though) in pay for a job I truly believe I'd hate having to go to everyday.

ps. I did not apply for this job, they contacted me after seeing my resume on Monster.

If you're currently employed or otherwise financially stable with your current income, I think you made the right decision. Taking a job just for the sake of it is never the right move, if you have the option, always jump for the one that you think will move you in the right direction. Maybe take it as a sign and look around though, the job you actually want probably won't come knocking in the same way, you have to go find it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Noah posted:

like above, if you are not miserable where you're at (and actually have a job) you made a good choice because all the money in the world won't help if you don't really want to be there.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Thanks! I definitely feel I made the best decision.

Of course, two hours later, I got the third round cut from a job I was really keen on. And the cycle repeats itself again.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
About 3 months out of college, and I haven't had much luck finding something. I have an offer that I'm waffling like crazy on, and it'd be nice if I could get input from actually employed goons. I don't know many people in the work force.

It's a software (Java) developer job in the tri-state area. On the up-side, they give extensive training in Java, SQL, and a few other things, which is good since I was a math major, not CS. Once training's done, I'm placed for two years with one of the company's affiliates in Jersey City, Manhattan or Stamford. The pay's $42,000 the first year and $49,000 the second.

Downsides are these: If I leave before the two years are up, I owe them $30K. Training's unpaid; I can live with this since my family's okay with supporting me, but I don't like it. There's a chance I might be placed in Stamford for the entire 2 years - they don't seem to be willing to negotiate on this. From where I live, Google Maps tells me it's about 2 hours each way, which is a pain, and about $25-30. I could move, but that'd cost way more, plus I've got student loans to pay off.

Do I take it?

Edit Additional info - I live on Staten Island, so commuting to Jersey City isn't an issue, it's like 30 minutes by car and an hour fifteen by train. I could move if I get placed in CT but I'd rather not, since I'd only be paying my parents about $400 in rent and utilities. With that setup I could make about triple or quadruple the recommended monthly payback on my student loans, which would be pretty great.

Funambulist fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 7, 2012

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Funambulist posted:

About 3 months out of college, and I haven't had much luck finding something. I have an offer that I'm pretty heavily leaning towards "no" on, but it'd be nice if I could get input from actually employed goons. I don't know many people in the work force.

It's a software (Java) developer job in the tri-state area. On the up-side, they give extensive training in Java, SQL, and a few other things, which is good since I was a math major, not CS. Once training's done, I'm placed for two years with one of the company's affiliates in Jersey City, Manhattan or Stamford. The pay's $42,000 the first year and $49,000 the second.

Downsides are these: If I leave before the two years are up, I owe them $30K. Training's unpaid; I can live with this since my family's okay with supporting me, but I don't like it. There's a chance I might be placed in Stamford for the entire 2 years - they don't seem to be willing to negotiate on this. From where I live, Google Maps tells me it's about 2 hours each way, which is a pain, and about $25-30. I could move, but that'd cost way more, plus I've got student loans to pay off.

Do I take it?

Edit Additional info - I live on Staten Island, so commuting to Jersey City isn't an issue, it's like 30 minutes by car and an hour fifteen by train. I could move if I get placed in CT but I'd rather not, since I'd only be paying my parents about $400 in rent and utilities. With that setup I could make about triple or quadruple the recommended monthly payback on my student loans, which would be pretty great.

You would be getting robbed IMO - the QA people at my company make more than that. Also getting locked into working at a company for 2 years can be a Very Bad Thing, and Stamford CT is super expensive (I'm paying like 1.4k a month for a single bedroom apartment there.)

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

hieronymus posted:

You would be getting robbed IMO - the QA people at my company make more than that. Also getting locked into working at a company for 2 years can be a Very Bad Thing, and Stamford CT is super expensive (I'm paying like 1.4k a month for a single bedroom apartment there.)

Oof. Yeah, it doesn't sit right with me, but on the other hand my degree isn't CS and I haven't had any other offers (a couple interviews though). The two years experience would look good. Buuuut that 20% or so chance of having to spend 4 hours a day on trains for up to two years is a pain in the rear end.

I guess it's time to start applying for entry-level actuary positions!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Noah posted:

My brother!!!(or sister).

I was feeling a bit stuck in my engineering job so I switched to a business analyst position for a 30% pay increase, better benes etc. etc. And after 4 weeks I quit to return to my engineering job, under some new understanding with management about where I want to be In the future.

The analyst position was killing me more and more everyday, and what is the extra money worth if I can't enjoy it at any level(they even offered me more when I said I would be leaving, after 4 weeks, and every fiber in my body said "don't take it!!").

A lot of people who are a bit unhappy with where they are say "I'd do anything if I made $x more a year!!" And its easy to step in the unknown, so in my mind, I think you made a very good decision if you can live without it. Being stuck in a place you dislike for 40+ weeks is a very bad thing.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Funambulist posted:

The pay's $42,000 the first year and $49,000 the second.

For the area the job's in, that pay is really really low. I make more than that as an entry level person in Texas, where the cost of living is ridiculously cheap.

Is the pay negotiable? 'Cause that's nowhere near a decent living wage in that area.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Funambulist posted:

Oof. Yeah, it doesn't sit right with me, but on the other hand my degree isn't CS and I haven't had any other offers (a couple interviews though). The two years experience would look good. Buuuut that 20% or so chance of having to spend 4 hours a day on trains for up to two years is a pain in the rear end.

I guess it's time to start applying for entry-level actuary positions!

If you actually lived within 10~20 min of Stamford with your parents, I'd hesitate turning the offer down (I might've myself when I graduated from college.) But a (realistically) 5 hour a day commute for a 40k a year job is one of the most destructive things you can do to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012
Q.E.D. I guess. It took about 4 hours on public transit to get from my parents' house to my dorm. Can't say I'd like to do that, even if it was broken up, 5 days a week.

And no, the pay's not negotiable.

• Locked thread