Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Just so you know, when I break down and buy a Space Wolf army off the back of my 'allied detachment' I'm going to call you a fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Blame GW, they're running this con on me as well. Allies are the be$t idea they've ever come up with.

I edited this into my last post but you probably missed it so I'm transplanting it into this post:

I almost forgot, Johnny played it correctly. "If Belial is in the army, Deathwing Terminator Squads may be treated as a Troops choice as well as an Elites choice." It's really nice to get three Terminator Squads instead of one from DA. I don't expect the special rule to be worded this way in their new book, of course. All of the newer FOC-shifting special abilities seem to force you to take them as Troops rather than giving you a choice.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Y'all jealous. Don't hate.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Phyresis posted:

Land Speeders are more suicidal then ever now so the heavy flamer is probably not the best option. For 80 points they can take two multi-meltas and blow up a Land Raider or a Monolith on turn two (they generally go flat-out on turn one in order to get into position and get dat 4+ cover save.) I prefer Stormtalons, obviously, but Speeders have their role (and SW and BA can't take Stormtalons :()

I think speeders are actually tougher in this edition. Hopefully you're on a table with enough LOS-blocking terrain that your speeders will never be in a position to be shot until you want them to. They'll always have a 5+ cover save and a 4+ when flat-out. When you do want them to be shot is the turn you move 12 and either flame a horde of boys or like you said blow up a monolith.

Suicide speeders (MM/HF) have always been just that. They get one turn to do damage and anything past that is gravy. Now you get that 5+ to avoid dying horribly to rokkits. You'll still die to torrents of bolter fire just like you always did, but the free cover save for moving normally is a pretty big boon in my opinion.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So should I bother painting the underside of my night/doom scythe?

e: the large, flat surfaces are pain in the rear end enough and I'd rather not have to paint another nine surfaces.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Corrode posted:

I hope it doesn't because they were bloody expensive to build!

Yeah, which is precisely why I've been sitting on mine. That and I've been slowly picking up the CMLs cheap from ebay.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

e: the large, flat surfaces are pain in the rear end enough and I'd rather not have to paint another nine surfaces.

Yes. With an airbrush.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yes. With an airbrush.

assuming I'm even too lazy to go out and buy an airbrush...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Then use your most hirsute cheek as a large flat brush and smoosh that thing all over it

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Take a swig of paint and thinner, then read dakka this thread until you do a spit-take about a rules argument.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Mask off the tops and sides, spray paint it black, flick some white paint on it with a toothbrush to simulate stars and you have a night camo underside.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Take a swig of paint and thinner, then read dakka this thread until you do a spit-take about a rules argument.

Here, I'll speed things up for you.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

So I tried to re-work a list I wrote a while back for 1750 points and I'm stumped. I'm trying to come up with something competitive enough to stand a chance in 6th (I've not played many games of it as it stands) so dropped out things like the Land Speeders as they seem to be too delicate (and it saves me some money if I don't go with them) and I'm not sure where to take this list. Ideally I'd still like to keep it fun though. Bear in mind most of this is how the models are made in terms of options. I could probably swap stuff out with a bit of work.

code:
Lias Issodon - 140

10 Tactical Marines - 170
Missile Launcher
Flamer
Rhino - 35

10 Tactical Marines - 170
Heavy Bolter
Plasma Gun - 10
Rhino - 35

5 Tactical Marines - 90
Combi-Flamer - 10
Razorback - 40

5 Terminators - 200
TH+SS

Stormtalon - 130
Typhoon Missile Launcher - 25

Land Raider Redeemer - 240
Multi-melta - 10

Vindicator - 115
Lias gives anyone with Combat Tactics the Stealth USR so I can make use of cover quite well when needed and have the transports to get to objectives. That leaves me with 305 points left to play with. Was considering a second Stormtalon or Vindicator but who knows. I know general consensus is a Crusader is better than a Redeemer due to changes to shooting, so I might be tempted to change it (I just think massive flamethrowers are awesome). I'm open to allies but would ideally like to keep it to a single codex.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 7, 2012

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I just bought the turrets and collars to convert my rhinos to make this happen. :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

go gently caress yourself, dakkadakka

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

I love these kind of threads.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

It's been a while since I've seriously played WH40k, but recently when I was rooting around in my collection I found a Sergeant Centurius model still in it's original blister pack. Is there any demand for this type of model any more? As far as I remember it was a limited edition thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Finally, a way to make my all-reserve Swooping Hawk list even worse.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Hashtag Nascar posted:

It's been a while since I've seriously played WH40k, but recently when I was rooting around in my collection I found a Sergeant Centurius model still in it's original blister pack. Is there any demand for this type of model any more? As far as I remember it was a limited edition thing.

No, no demand at all. Send it to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
For some reason he's like one of the holy grails of 40k. You probably could get like 80 bucks for him.

edit: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?clk_rvr_id=372384419039&mfe=search&_nkw=Sergeant+Centurius&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

ok 80 is the upper limit but he's still pretty valuable

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay fellow ork goons, question. You have a unit of 20 orks, and you put them in a battlewagon because you like the idea of charging the enemy on Turn 2. How do you kit them out? Do you give them sluggas and choppas because you want them to do better in assault, or do you give them shootas because it will make them more flexible?

I've always been a proponent of shootas for footsloggers and sluggas for battlewagon boyz, but it seems I'm somewhat alone in this regard. What are your thoughts?

Shootas, definitely. I am of the opinion that the extra flexibility of shootas far outweighs the extra CC attacks of sluggas. Most of the things you can kill with 20 slugga boyz you can also kill with 20 shoota boyz in CC, but you can't say the same thing about shooting. And overwatch makes them even better!

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Ork Players:

Do you think Ghaz got better or worse with the changes between 5th and 6th edition?

WhiteWolf123 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 6, 2012

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I just looked on ebay, turns out it's worth £70 which is even better than in the US, I could make a SA-mart thread instead if there is bigger demand for it in the forums though.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

As others have said vehicles were so incredibly overpowered in 5th edition that they were practically a mandatory choice. The rules used to be that you could park a rhino with a scoring unit inside on top of an objective and just sit there waiting for the game to end. Even if the rhino was popped the troops inside would still be on the objective, and the rhino itself was very hard to kill thanks to the way that vehicle damage worked. Now that vehicles have hull points there's a limited amount of damage they can take before they're destroyed. The bottom line here is that vehicles are still incredibly useful (especially from a manueverability perspective) but are no longer such an obvious choice that it would be stupid not to take them.

I think a huge chunk of the blame for this can be placed not on the vehicle rules, but on the massive point drops for rhinos and chimeras - rhinos went from 50 to 35 points, and chimeras from 70 to 55, in conjunction with a bunch of new chimera weapon options.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Two things I'd like to comment on in this post.

Fix posted:

2) Denigrating people for thinking it is not fun to play against people who take every advantage when it breaks the experience intended the game is ludicrous, and to hold up and stab angrily at the most specific wording of the rules of the game in order to justify ignoring the spirit of the game as laid out by the people who wrote it, is also bad.

Denigrating people for using the rules in a way you think is against the spirit of the game is just as bad. Presuming that your playstyle is the proper playstyle is the first step to becoming an rear end in a top hat grognard no matter which side of the fun v competitive divide you stand.

quote:

edit: I also got to play against BuffaloChicken's kickin rad Genestealer Cult Nid army. Goddamn that is an awesome army.

I know BuffaloChicken made them, and he should get credit for doing so, but that's not his army. He made it on commission for former EoW poster and founding member of the Good Times Gang, ThufirHawat.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PeterWeller posted:

I know BuffaloChicken made them, and he should get credit for doing so, but that's not his army. He made it on commission for former EoW poster and founding member of the Good Times Gang, ThufirHawat.

Yeah, I mentioned it later. Khan and I had a great game. He's a really good guy and if I hadn't been for the fact that one of my teammates and I jumped him the night previous and made him join us for cramming vodka down our terrible maws, I'd probably have been a better player against him in the morning.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

Yeah, I mentioned it later. Khan and I had a great game. He's a really good guy and if I hadn't been for the fact that one of my teammates and I jumped him the night previous and made him join us for cramming vodka down our terrible maws, I'd probably have been a better player against him in the morning.

Oops, sorry I missed that. Khan is a really good dude and a fun gaming opponent. Don't ever play a game of Twilight Imperium with him, though. Dude is more treacherous than the Fiendish Doctor Wu.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Phyresis posted:

Blame GW, they're running this con on me as well. Allies are the be$t idea they've ever come up with.

I edited this into my last post but you probably missed it so I'm transplanting it into this post:

I almost forgot, Johnny played it correctly. "If Belial is in the army, Deathwing Terminator Squads may be treated as a Troops choice as well as an Elites choice." It's really nice to get three Terminator Squads instead of one from DA. I don't expect the special rule to be worded this way in their new book, of course. All of the newer FOC-shifting special abilities seem to force you to take them as Troops rather than giving you a choice.

This shows how much I've read my DA codex. I'll have to keep that in mind. I agree with you about the new book which is why I was lairy of the reading Johnny had because every other version of it (even in 4th ed) is that FoC shifts are a full change and not an either/or.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Honestly the spit-take isn't worth it because I think at this point we're pretty clear that all the abuse we give each other in this thread is just everyone playing their gimmicks. Really it's a total love-in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fyrbrand posted:

The fleshtones came out great! Very realistic.

Hashtag Nascar posted:

The important thing here is to leave him in the blister no matter what. Sergeant C is probably the most counterfeited model, and that's the only way you can prove that he's "real". I saw somewhere that more Sgt Centurius were sold on eBay than ever made, but that's probably just internet legend.

Demand for him has gone down since the edition where he was a free special character you could include in your army
...if you had the model :smug:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The same model can be sold on ebay multiple times, though...?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

pw pw pw posted:

The same model can be sold on ebay multiple times, though...?

It's well known that the legion of the damned are warplost and it should be no surprise that your human 'ebay' is incapable of truly comprehending their movements.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I have no time to play both WH40K and WHFB, and since none of my friends like to play SPACE MARINES, I'm selling off my 40K Imperial Guard army.

I have the following items for sale.

• Knight-Commander Pask (primed but not painted) - $10
  • Chimera (basecoated) - $25
  • 2 Leman Russ tanks (basecoated, one with sponsons, the other without) - $25/each
  • 2 Sentinels (one basecoasted, the other assembled but unpainted) - $20/each
  • 2 Snipers (primed) - $10
  • 22 Steel Legion soldiers (one painted and converted to meltavet, the rest primed)- $50
  • 2 Steel Legion officers (one with sword, other with chainsword. Primed) - $10/each
  • 2 Cadian HW teams (one primed, the other basecoated) - $10 for both
  • 24 Cadians from Battleforce Box(mostly basecoated) - $40 for all
  • IG Army Book - $15

Photo album is here: http://imgur.com/a/LgNuS/

(I know one of the tanks is shown without its guns, but I have them. Cross my heart.)

Any purchase over $50 gets shipped for free. Less than that and its probably $5-$10, depending.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I just put up my SA Mart post with the stuff im getting rid of.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500061

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
LT are you still running that store? Hows that going?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

CyberLord XP posted:

LT are you still running that store? Hows that going?

Nope, I backed out of it to work on my Game studio, and after our successful Kickstarter campaign, we are nearing our alpha build, early next month.
I still have a couple distributor accounts however :D not GW though.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fyrbrand posted:

That is definitely a mastercrafted babby.

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

Mikael Kreoss posted:

That is definitely a mastercrafted babby.
Chronometron is the best birth control.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

WOM is at work right now, but I'm pretty sure he's interested in those Chimeras, Oxford.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

WOM is at work right now, but I'm pretty sure he's interested in those Chimeras, Oxford.

Have him send me a PM whenevs.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

We don't have pm access as all our spare money is converted to plastic. His email is jrs06w@yahoo.com though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

We don't have pm access as all our spare money is converted to plastic. His email is jrs06w@yahoo.com though.

I forget that Lowtax doesn't give everyone PMs. seamonkeys@gmail.com is my email.

• Locked thread