Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Tedronai66 posted:

What about IPS and P/MVA? My old monitor is a *VA, and even older secondary is IPS (dell 2007wfp). I've pondered getting a korean monitor and just putting the *VA in portrait mode.

I have a Dell 2412M next to a 2407. The 2412M looks slightly blue because of the backlight differences. The 2412M has much better blacks. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it bad to have a 6-bit eips display calibrated to 100cd? Too dim for color accurate work/dithering/FRC to work properly?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Dalrain posted:

Is there a separate thread or something on multi-LCD mounts? Any mounts recommended over others for a 3-way setup? Best place(s) to buy?

I'm thinking of doing the Korean thing, though the dead pixel policy is kind of scary.

Good luck finding a triple-mount setup that can handle monitors that big and heavy. Really, you're going to want three single mounts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tedronai66 posted:

What about IPS and P/MVA? My old monitor is a *VA, and even older secondary is IPS (dell 2007wfp). I've pondered getting a korean monitor and just putting the *VA in portrait mode.

In my experience VA looks like arse in portrait mode

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

dissss posted:

In my experience VA looks like arse in portrait mode

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just go for broke and get two korean monitors. Though I guess one will have to be DP compatible, since intel HD4000 only does 2560x1440/1600 over DP (keep any rendering load off the gpu for secondary stuff. ).

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Has anybody had any experience with a Displaylink adaptor? Are there any high performance usb graphics cards?

Also, how do I go about connecting my old laptop to function as a display for my desktop?

Just exploring ideas since my mobo hates two graphics cards...

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just bit the bullet and ordered a Shimian QH270-IPSB w/ tempered glass. Here's hoping my monitor isn't full of dust! I'll post a trip report once it shows up.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Daimo posted:

Are there any high performance usb graphics cards?

You mean like, gaming high performance? Not likely. I don't have any first hand experience, but USB 3 video adapters should be able to normal 2D desktop stuff without much trouble.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Daimo posted:

Has anybody had any experience with a Displaylink adaptor? Are there any high performance usb graphics cards?
What resolution are you trying to drive?

USB 2.0: 480 mbits
800x600@30hz: ~480mbits
USB 3.0: 5 gbits
2560x1600@60hz: ~8 gbits
DP 1.1: 8.64 gbits

quote:

Also, how do I go about connecting my old laptop to function as a display for my desktop?
Synergy if you want to control the laptop, and it looks like Maxivista can use its display only.

quote:

Just exploring ideas since my mobo hates two graphics cards...
I've debugged problems like this before, and it could be a number of things in hardware, BIOS, or video BIOS. You could try a PCI video card. I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen some surprisingly recent GPUs on PCI cards. That means they're also going through a PCI-PCIE bridge on the video card, but if that bridge works, the card should work for you.

PCI: ~1 gbit

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

movax posted:

Possible it's a BIOS-goof in enumerating your display adapters, but to figure out what exactly is broken, I'd:

1. Try booting system only with the x1 GPU inserted into the PEG slot (where your 460 normally goes) and see what happens. This'll let you know if the x1 is hosed up or not.
2. If that succeeds, maybe try different PCIe slots. I assumed this was a 5 or 6-series board, but it's still got an ICH so you can't run both GPUs off of the PEG port. I don't recall off-hand if there's an issue with trying to run a graphics peripheral off of one of the ICH's PCIe ports (shouldn't be).

I just did a little troubleshooting and here's what I did:
  • Looked in BIOS and changed a setting from PCI to PEG. Computer booted into windows.
  • Windows installed some sort of PCI driver but wouldn't recognise the card in device manager.
  • Removed my GTX460 and put the 520 into the PEG slot and...

:ohdear:

Is that a GPU or memory fault?

I'm going to RMA it but am I on the right track - If I get a replacement is it likely to work in the same PCIe 1X slot I tried before (I have only one available for this), and be recognised by Windows? If not I may just get a refund and wait for my next upgrade.

Captain Cool posted:

What resolution are you trying to drive?

USB 2.0: 480 mbits
800x600@30hz: ~480mbits
USB 3.0: 5 gbits
2560x1600@60hz: ~8 gbits
DP 1.1: 8.64 gbits

Synergy if you want to control the laptop, and it looks like Maxivista can use its display only.

I've debugged problems like this before, and it could be a number of things in hardware, BIOS, or video BIOS. You could try a PCI video card. I don't have any experience with them, but I've seen some surprisingly recent GPUs on PCI cards. That means they're also going through a PCI-PCIE bridge on the video card, but if that bridge works, the card should work for you.

PCI: ~1 gbit

Thanks for the technical info there. It doesn't look very feasible because I need 1360x768 on USB 2.0. My system seems horribly out of date.

If you have any advice on the above I'd be grateful.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Daimo posted:

Is that a GPU or memory fault?

Both. The GPU's memory looks bad. It's a fairly common way for cards to go bad or come DOA. Definitely RMA it. Assuming everything works with just the 460, I'd say the rest of your system is fine.

1366x768 on USB 2.0 is quite doable with a DisplayLink or workalike adapter, it just means sacrificing framerate and real-time performance (as the devices that do that will use compression algorithms to make it work). Just fine for web pages, documents, etc., but choppy on video and completely unable to do games.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Has anyone used these monitor arms before?
http://www.arctic.ac/de/p/equipment/monitorarme/458/.html

Reviews for the dual version on amazon look promising, but dual cannot individually adjust heights.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
In the Korean monitors, is the one Shimian the only one with DisplayPort? I'm looking to semi-futureproof, and DP looks like the way things are going. Thanks!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Any suggestions on a good portrait only monitor? Seems like 22" is more than good enough for portrait, but for reference it is going to be sitting next to a Korean 27". It also doesn't need to be the highest quality but it'd be nice if it didn't look terrible next to the IPS. How widespread are the issues with monitors looking weird in portrait mode mentioned in the OP?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I had a Dell TN panel for a short while as a secondary portrait monitor, and I gotta say I didn't really mind it since I mostly just used it for word processing and coding. The colour shift is definitely noticeable even if you just move your head a little, but whether it bothers you depends on your intended application.

I only have experience with Dell stands, and they are rock solid in portrait, although the width of the screen doesn't leave a lot of room for height adjustment.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

Ika posted:

Has anyone used these monitor arms before?
http://www.arctic.ac/de/p/equipment/monitorarme/458/.html

Reviews for the dual version on amazon look promising, but dual cannot individually adjust heights.

I haven't used it before, but after seeing your link, I ordered the Z2. It'll be here in a week if you can wait that long for an end user report. I googled up some reviews and people seemed to like it enough, and the price was right.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So, my 22 inch Samsung monitor has started flickering for a good minute after coming out of sleep mode. I'm guessing it might be on the way out. I don't have a way to test if it's the monitor, Vid Card, or drivers (which are up to date).
Does this sound like the monitor is on the way out? It's 3-4 years old, and gets pretty heavy usage.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Sounds like the backlight our ballast is going out. Might see if you can replace that? A lot of laptop ones I messed with were like $10 in parts on ebay to do.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It could well be some poo poo capacitors on the power board. Try searching online for the model number of the screen.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Does anyone have some expeirence with the ASUS VG236H? I can get one pretty cheap, like ~$80 cheaper then a U2312H but not sure if I should just pony up and get the U2312H instead.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is a Dell 3007WFP-HC vulnerable to burn-in? I was playing Borderlands and I saw a ghost image of my Firefox bookmarks toolbar. It went away after a while but drat, that freaked me out.

It seems at some point, my power settings changed the "display goes to sleep" time from 15 minutes to never :ohdear:

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Daimo posted:

I'm going to RMA it but am I on the right track - If I get a replacement is it likely to work in the same PCIe 1X slot I tried before (I have only one available for this), and be recognised by Windows? If not I may just get a refund and wait for my next upgrade.
Did the x1 card work as the only video card in an x1 slot? If so, an RMA would probably work the same, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, yeah, return it and wait for a chance to upgrade. Since the motherboard only has one x16 slot, the SBIOS may take some shortcuts assuming there will only be one video card.

quote:

Thanks for the technical info there. It doesn't look very feasible because I need 1360x768 on USB 2.0. My system seems horribly out of date.
If you're using it for web browsing, music player, IM, etc, and you can tolerate some lag dragging windows around, then you'll probably be fine with a USB adapter. Playing videos or games would probably be too much.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

fookolt posted:

Is a Dell 3007WFP-HC vulnerable to burn-in? I was playing Borderlands and I saw a ghost image of my Firefox bookmarks toolbar. It went away after a while but drat, that freaked me out.

Burn-in, no. What you're seeing is Image Persistence. It's not permanent, but it will keep getting worse as your monitor ages. It's what finally convinced me to replace my 2001FPs, after 7 years of service.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Has anyone tried/know more about the 30'' Corean IPS panels? Seems too good to be true at $680...

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Zhentar posted:

Burn-in, no. What you're seeing is Image Persistence. It's not permanent, but it will keep getting worse as your monitor ages. It's what finally convinced me to replace my 2001FPs, after 7 years of service.

Ah okay, thanks for the correction.

I'm guessing there's no way to fix it or it makes more sense to spend the money on a new monitor?

drat, I've only had this baby for 4 years :sigh:

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
What's the best 30-inch monitor on the market right now? How about the best bang-for-buck 30-inch? I have a 22-inch Samsung that's six or seven years old and I seriously need an upgrade. I just bought a GeForce 670 and upgraded to 16GB RAM, so I have the juice to maximize the screen real-estate. Newegg only has four models, the Dell UltraSharp U3011, DoubleSight DS-307W, HP ZR30W, and the NEC PA301W. Are there any better options than these? If so, what are good places to purchase?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Martello posted:

What's the best 30-inch monitor on the market right now? How about the best bang-for-buck 30-inch? I have a 22-inch Samsung that's six or seven years old and I seriously need an upgrade. I just bought a GeForce 670 and upgraded to 16GB RAM, so I have the juice to maximize the screen real-estate. Newegg only has four models, the Dell UltraSharp U3011, DoubleSight DS-307W, HP ZR30W, and the NEC PA301W. Are there any better options than these? If so, what are good places to purchase?

With a single GTX670, you'll still be playing at 1920x1200 for anything really stressful :v:

Still, I'm a huge believer in 2560*1xx0 27-30" displays.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Right, but since I can afford to drop 1700-2500 bones on a 30-inch monitor, I can also afford to buy an additional GTX670. :smug:

I guess what I really want to know is, is the NEC worth the two months of mortgage?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Martello posted:

Right, but since I can afford to drop 1700-2500 bones on a 30-inch monitor, I can also afford to buy an additional GTX670. :smug:

I guess what I really want to know is, is the NEC worth the two months of mortgage?

If you're doing professional work, then yeah probably.

Otherwise, save yourself the money and get a Dell U3011 then SLI your GTX670.

How cheap are the Korean 30's anyway? I might get two just to add on to my Dell 30". Although I'd need to get a second GTX580 just to run 3 2560x1600 displays wouldn't I? :sigh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

fookolt posted:

If you're doing professional work, then yeah probably.

Otherwise, save yourself the money and get a Dell U3011 then SLI your GTX670.

How cheap are the Korean 30's anyway? I might get two just to add on to my Dell 30". Although I'd need to get a second GTX580 just to run 3 2560x1600 displays wouldn't I? :sigh:
Is there a reason to get the Dell over the HP or DoubleSight?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Is there a reason to get the Dell over the HP or DoubleSight?

Not really. I've just had a really good experience with Dell Ultrasharps for 8 years now (and I've used just about all of their 30" displays).

I'm sure HP and DoubleSight both have awesome displays; I just haven't tried them out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'd wager the Dell has the most inputs/USB hub/Card Reader, then you're just talking about looks and warranty. I'd favour the Dell myself too, but the prices may be wildly different.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So maybe just get the Dell then? Looking at it and doing the math, I'd be an idiot to buy one NEC when I could get two Dells for a hundred dollars less.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Martello posted:

How much color-critical work do you do? Like commercial photography? Because if not then you're paying a very hefty premium just to know you have an awesome monitor.

I'd say not worth it unless you both know how to use a colorimeter, and have access to one.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
The ultrasharp we'll ship you a replacement and it'll be there next business day in the am warranty is kind of hard to pass on.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

MMD3 posted:

How much color-critical work do you do? Like commercial photography? Because if not then you're paying a very hefty premium just to know you have an awesome monitor.

I'd say not worth it unless you both know how to use a colorimeter, and have access to one.

I just play vidgames and watch films, so that's why I said in the post above yours "I'd be an idiot not to just buy two UltraSharps."

How sketchy does this look? I have trouble believing they can sell the UltraSharp for 300 less than Newegg without there being some kind of catch.

Martello fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 7, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Martello posted:

I just play vidgames and watch films, so that's why I said in the post above yours "I'd be an idiot not to just buy two UltraSharps."

sorry, typed that up as an earlier response and didn't hit send, missed the posts earlier stating basically the same thing.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Martello posted:

How sketchy does this look? I have trouble believing they can sell the UltraSharp for 300 less than Newegg without there being some kind of catch.

That looks shady. Call dell, if you can find a normal place like amazon or newegg, and explain your want to buy from them. They might price match, or give you a bigger discount

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Trip report: I asked a while back about a decision between a 120Hz TN and a 27" IPS. I've had the 120Hz BenQ XL2420T for two months now, and all I can say is: wow. 3D films ain't much on it, but 3D gaming is spectacular. I was worried I'd be splurging on a gimmick, but Skyrim alone is worth it (esp. with >80 graphical mods piled on).

Another thing I was concerned about was the viewing angles, but it seems modern TNs have come a long way from the last one I had circa 2005. I've only noticed the colour distortion when I've been specifically looking for it.

In all, I'm pretty drat happy.

e: One thing I should say about 3D gaming is that the doubled frame rate is brutal on your graphics card. Anyone who wants to do it is doubtless going to want to twist all the knobs set to ultra, so it's probably not worth the buy unless you're happy to pick up a GTX 670 or better as well.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Martello posted:

Yeah, that looks a little off. It's worth paying a little bit (not too much!) more to get it from a good retailer, and retain Dell's awesome service. There's really no need to go to NEC unless you're using your display professionally, like above posters said. I've been really happy with my U3011, since Nov. 2010 or so.

I might even get a 670 or 680 to replace the 460 that struggles to power games sometimes :v: