Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

What did you expect from a movie getting together a bunch of washed up action heroes and wrestlers to punch and shoot poo poo? I loved it.

The direction made everything seem really flat and dull. It "tried" to be over the top and fun, but came off more like a flat 80s action movie like, I dunno, one of the Iron Eagles, as opposed to something like Commando, which is how it should have felt. Because of that, it just ended up boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Payndz posted:

When 2000AD did their first round of Dredd reprints (The Law In Order, back in the 90s), they did text recaps of 'Burger Wars' and 'Giants Aren't Gentlemen' to explain why there were missing episodes - and they changed the name Ronald MacDonald to Donald MacRonald to make sure they didn't have McDonald's leaning on them again, even 15 years after the fact. (They also avoided naming any of the corporate mascots directly.)

Those are also in the case files. One of these days I am going to drop the cash to get those issues.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While I have some Dredd superfans here I was wondering if you could point me towards this collection/book. I remember back in say, 1990/1991 my friend in grade 2 or 3 had a copy of a book where Dredd has a sign that says, "The buck stops here!" and also included in the book was a story with nuns who had giant claws and Dredd had to stop em. That is about all I can remember.

Any idea where this story is or what story it was?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Holy crap, remember how in the old 2000ad comics before poo poo was glossy as hell, how everything was black and white and then near the spine there would be a couple of "COLOUR PAGES gently caress yeah!"]....?

Megacity one looks grey as hell and huffing 'slo mo' makes all the colours super saturated.

:aaaaa:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Jose Mengelez posted:

Holy crap, remember how in the old 2000ad comics before poo poo was glossy as hell, how everything was black and white and then near the spine there would be a couple of "COLOUR PAGES gently caress yeah!"]....?

Megacity one looks grey as hell and huffing 'slo mo' makes all the colours super saturated.

:aaaaa:

...:aaaaa::fh:

That is amazing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jose Mengelez posted:

Megacity one looks grey as hell and huffing 'slo mo' makes all the colours super saturated
For full effect, they should cut away to a completely different movie in black and white for a couple of minutes. 2000AD had a period in the late 80s when only about a quarter of the pages were in colour, so for the Dredd episodes to be fully coloured they had to be split into two pieces with a B&W story between them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just announced for the Toronto Film Festival.
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2012/dredd

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I was kind of hoping for more shooting jaywalkers from this movie myself. That always seemed like the best part of Dredd anyway.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Panzeh posted:

I was kind of hoping for more shooting jaywalkers from this movie myself. That always seemed like the best part of Dredd anyway.

They don't get shot, they get 20 years in the cubes. For all that he has the power, Dredd doesn't really go in for summary executions.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Flatscan posted:

They don't get shot, they get 20 years in the cubes. For all that he has the power, Dredd doesn't really go in for summary executions.

This is true. He shot the guy for trying to bribe a Judge and fleeing the scene. Dredd isn't big on executions if he can avoid it. He'd much rather just have someone spend life on Devil's Island (Which I really want to see on the big screen one day) than be dead in the street. My personal favorites are the time he blew up the guy's car for refusing to stop and render assistance to a fellow citizen, and the time he skinned the arsonist so they could test his skin for accelerants.

I hope this is new one is good. All I'm really hoping for is a decent action flick. If it manages to do better than that then I will be ecstatic.

EDIT:Fixed up some things.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 2, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

WickedIcon posted:

Everything he did up to Dark Knight Strikes Again is plenty stylish, even if he did go insane after 9/11. :colbert:
Actually he started cracking before 9/11 with Rusty and Big Guy which was incredibly racist and jingoistic for something that actually got turned into a children's cartoon.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MadScientistWorking posted:

Actually he started cracking before 9/11 with Rusty and Big Guy which was incredibly racist and jingoistic for something that actually got turned into a children's cartoon.

Really? How so?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Flatscan posted:

A legshot is perfectly acceptable for stopping a jaywalking perp :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

massive spider posted:

Urban sounds like hes having an uncharacteristic amount of fun doing his job for Dredd.

Despite the size thing the only reason I'm giving any fucks about the new movie - and am following it - is Karl Urban. I'm glad to see that guy's career do well; the first movie I ever saw him in was Doom and the whole sequence with The Rock I was thinking "Man, these guys needed a very different script." I got the vibe he was a far better actor than anyone else in the film by a mile.

To my amazement, though, he didn't end up getting his career killed by that and has gone on to be in all kinds of really broken, bad movies since (and some good ones like Star Trek) but my God if he's not the kind of actor to just run with roles that you can tell he gets a kick out of playing. Hell, he went a long way towards making even Priest watchable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Despite the size thing the only reason I'm giving any fucks about the new movie - and am following it - is Karl Urban. I'm glad to see that guy's career do well; the first movie I ever saw him in was Doom and the whole sequence with The Rock I was thinking "Man, these guys needed a very different script." I got the vibe he was a far better actor than anyone else in the film by a mile.

And was pretty neat as the energizer bunny assassin in the Bourne movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I even liked him in Riddick :colbert:

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

etalian posted:

And was pretty neat as the energizer bunny assassin in the Bourne movie.

Agreed Karl Urban is the ONLY choice for this especially because of his frown. That deep raspy voice is perfect!

Some people thus far have had things to say about the setting and I can also agree that they could have done a better job with MC1 (just judging from the trailer) and being the proud pot head I am they could have picked something better than "the war on drugs" but HOLY poo poo I can't wait to see this!

:swoon:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Yeah the black humor nature of the character and how he applies appropriate punishment was one of the more amusing aspects of the character.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mindisgone posted:

Agreed Karl Urban is the ONLY choice for this especially because of his frown. That deep raspy voice is perfect!

Some people thus far have had things to say about the setting and I can also agree that they could have done a better job with MC1 (just judging from the trailer) and being the proud pot head I am they could have picked something better than "the war on drugs" but HOLY poo poo I can't wait to see this!

:swoon:

Perhaps it will be a satire on America's militaristic war on drugs, where the greater problem is in fact the enforcement rather then the drugs themselves?

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Nutsngum posted:

Perhaps it will be a satire on America's militaristic war on drugs, where the greater problem is in fact the enforcement rather then the drugs themselves?

Judge Dredd shoots himself at the end.

"The LAW! has made a mistake!" :suicide:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I suppose if they want people to understand the hows and why's of the world, they could just turn the Origins story arc into a film.
That arc basically shows you the events that led up to Booth declaring war on the world and the world fighting back with nukes and as to why the Judges have absolute authority, plus you see a very young Dredd and Rico (before he went off the deep end.

That said, I'm still a big Dredd fan and will be disappointed if this film turns out poorly, I've never gotten over the Stallone one. :saddowns:

Analrapist
Dec 8, 2006
Wiki wiki wild wild west
I really hope Dredd does well so they can start turning the major 2000AD Judge Dredd story arcs into films. Necropolis, Total War and Judge Death Lives could be brilliantly adapted, I reckon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Day of Chaos in movie format would basically be like that old Maxell commercial with the wind machine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Judge Tesla posted:

That said, I'm still a big Dredd fan and will be disappointed if this film turns out poorly, I've never gotten over the Stallone one. :saddowns:

The worst crime of the Stallone movie is that the first like, ten minutes of it are almost awesome.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Rasa posted:

The worst crime of the Stallone movie is that the first like, ten minutes of it are almost awesome.

Then it progressively becomes less and less of an action movie and more of a showcase of 90's child "humor".

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Elentor posted:

Then it progressively becomes less and less of an action movie and more of a showcase of 90's child "humor".

I'll be the judge of that

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nutsngum posted:

I'll be the judge of that

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It's a lie! The evidence has been falsified! It's impossible! I never broke the law, I AM THE LAW!

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.......!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nutsngum posted:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW.......!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4

I knew you'd post that.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

BexGu posted:

Really? How so?
The whole underlying plot line to Rusty and Big Guy was the fact that Japan got its rear end whooped and their superior technology couldn't stand up to good old American know-how. On top of that the art is very off putting in that all of the Japanese are yellow and have squinty eyes.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
There is only one way this movie should end:

Dredd has cornered the last bad guy woman in her penthouse suite and is doing the whole "I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH!!!" and just as he's about to shoot her she shoots up a large overdose of Slo-mo. Time starts slowing down as Dredd fires his gun until it's moving so slowly we can see the bullet exiting the gun. When the bullet is halfway time stops entirely and we sit on that scene for 5 seconds. Roll credits.

Mail me my Oscar.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Killstick posted:

There is only one way this movie should end:

Dredd has cornered the last bad guy woman in her penthouse suite and is doing the whole "I SENTENCE YOU TO DEATH!!!" and just as he's about to shoot her she shoots up a large overdose of Slo-mo. Time starts slowing down as Dredd fires his gun until it's moving so slowly we can see the bullet exiting the gun. When the bullet is halfway time stops entirely and we sit on that scene for 5 seconds. Roll credits.

Mail me my Oscar.

Dredd takes on his greatest enemy: Zeno

quote:

The arrow paradox
pre:
        "If everything when it occupies an equal space is at rest, 
and if that which is in locomotion is always occupying such a space at any moment,
the flying arrow is therefore motionless.”
                  —Aristotle, Physics VI:9, 239b5
In the arrow paradox (also known as the fletcher's paradox), Zeno states that for motion to occur, an object must change the position which it occupies. He gives an example of an arrow in flight. He states that in any one (durationless) instant of time, the arrow is neither moving to where it is, nor to where it is not. It cannot move to where it is not, because no time elapses for it to move there; it cannot move to where it is, because it is already there. In other words, at every instant of time there is no motion occurring. If everything is motionless at every instant, and time is entirely composed of instants, then motion is impossible.
...this paradox starts by dividing time—and not into segments, but into points.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Might as well put these here, in case some of you don't read the poster thread.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Kinda reminds me of the Apocalypse War story arc with evetything on fire, which would also make a good future Dredd film, War Marshal Kazan would be a good film villain, or so I believe.

Definatly watching it on its day of release though, Its the Law.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

MrBling posted:

Might as well put these here, in case some of you don't read the poster thread.

Gotta be on a t-shirt.

I read an interview with Alex Garland, Dredd needs to rake in $50 million in the U.S to get a sequel and a trilogy is planned with Dredd going out into the cursed earth in the second part and the final film to feature the Dark Judges.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wonder if the last film will have Anderson as she was in her first appearance in the comics, with a Debbie Harry hairdo and judge boots with five-inch stiletto heels?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

CheechLizard posted:

Gotta be on a t-shirt.

I read an interview with Alex Garland, Dredd needs to rake in $50 million in the U.S to get a sequel and a trilogy is planned with Dredd going out into the cursed earth in the second part and the final film to feature the Dark Judges.

Is that pure box office or can it include DVD/Blue Ray sales?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Without looking it up, what is Dredd going up against? I think it could easily do $50 million over a couple weeks if it's a decent enough movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vintersorg posted:

Without looking it up, what is Dredd going up against? I think it could easily do $50 million over a couple weeks if it's a decent enough movie.

A week prior to Dredd's release: Resident Evil 5 and Finding Nemo 3D.

The day of: End of Watch.

The following week: Hotel Transylvania and Looper.

Two weeks after release: Taken 2 and Frankenweenie.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just saw the trailer for this in theatres last night and had a mini orgasm. This is gonna be so good.

JUDGE DREDD

• Locked thread