Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

itskage posted:

Are the head gaskets even a concern for the Saabaru?

I'm pretty sure you only have to worry about the timing belt.

For my 06 WRX I'm at 90.5K miles, at what point do I need to worry about age and not miles for that drat timing belt?

Good question. I'm at 69k on my STi, and the book lists 105k for the interval; is that accurate, or wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Turbo cars don't typically have headgaskets fail.

It is an issue with non turbo 2.5L subaru motors.

The heads have to come off, so while they are in there, it is a good time to service timing components and the water pump.

As for maintenance

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/maintenance-schedule2009.html

my subaru has maintenance PDF's for each model year. It's a chart that says what you're supposed to do when.

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 3, 2012

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
As far as timing belts go:

Subaru lists 105k miles, but conventional wisdom on lower mileage but older cars is that it should be done every 6-7 years even if you don't accumulate 105k in that time period.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Turbo cars don't typically have headgaskets fail.

It is an issue with non turbo 2.5L subaru motors.

The heads have to come off, so while they are in there, it is a good time to service timing components and the water pump.

As for maintenance

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/maintenance-schedule2009.html

my subaru has maintenance PDF's for each model year. It's a chart that says what you're supposed to do when.

Okay. I thought all Saabaru's were Turbo, but I see now that they had the N/A 2.5 on the base models. The 2.0 Turbos were only on the Aeros.

Alphius posted:

As far as timing belts go:

Subaru lists 105k miles, but conventional wisdom on lower mileage but older cars is that it should be done every 6-7 years even if you don't accumulate 105k in that time period.

Thanks for this. I guess I'll want to start thinking about doing mine in the fall.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

itskage posted:

Okay. I thought all Saabaru's were Turbo, but I see now that they had the N/A 2.5 on the base models. The 2.0 Turbos were only on the Aeros.

There was the 2.5 Linear and the Aero. The saabaru was only made from 2004 to 2006.

In 2006 subaru moved to a 2.5L motor in their WRX's (and by nature of the deal, the saabaru). So a 2006 saabaru will have a 2.5 while the 04 and 05 will be 2.0.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They also made less than 1000 06 Saabarus in turbo trim. An 06 Aero manual is a rare car indeed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
According to saab92x.com, 235 06 Aeros w/ 5 MT were made. Here's mine that I bought two weeks ago (messy from long drive home):

Almost due for 60k. I have very limited mechanical experience, not many tools other than a socket set, and no driveway (I borrow the one pictured when I need to do something). What parts of the 60k would you recommend I DIY?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll be calling the local dealership tomorrow to get my 7500 mile service done hopefully this week. Anything I should be aware of or ask for? What sort of pricing should I expect? Is the Subaru recommended 7500 mile service something I can get done elsewhere and still have a valid warranty?

And finally I'm going to change my own oil before taking it in to save on that cost, any Subaru specific recommendations there?

Car is a 2012 Impreza 2.0i

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
A few pages back there was discussion of somebody thinking about buying the whole bucket of extra-s and selling it to forums members?

If that is still in the cards, I'd be good for enough to do the transmission and diffs for my 2000 outback 5mt.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'll be calling the local dealership tomorrow to get my 7500 mile service done hopefully this week. Anything I should be aware of or ask for? What sort of pricing should I expect? Is the Subaru recommended 7500 mile service something I can get done elsewhere and still have a valid warranty?

And finally I'm going to change my own oil before taking it in to save on that cost, any Subaru specific recommendations there?

Car is a 2012 Impreza 2.0i

Oil and filter is the only thing you need to do at 7500 really, so do that and skip the dealer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

Oil and filter is the only thing you need to do at 7500 really, so do that and skip the dealer.

If you do the math, it's probably cheaper to do it at the dealer.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rontalvos posted:

A few pages back there was discussion of somebody thinking about buying the whole bucket of extra-s and selling it to forums members?

If that is still in the cards, I'd be good for enough to do the transmission and diffs for my 2000 outback 5mt.

I just ended up going to my local dealership with 2 empty gallon jugs and asked for enough extra-s to do a trans and diff service. Only cost me $22 and some change. Unless yours is staffed by total dickheads I don't see why other dealerships wouldn't do the same.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I have gone to 2 subaru dealerships, one in Fresno, California and one in Los Angeles, and neither seemed to know what extra-s was but they were all too happy to tell me they proudly stock redline.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Rontalvos posted:

I have gone to 2 subaru dealerships, one in Fresno, California and one in Los Angeles, and neither seemed to know what extra-s was but they were all too happy to tell me they proudly stock redline.

All the subaru dealerships I've been to have just stocked generic mobil 75w90 and had to special order the extra s. When I ordered my container of extra-s it took me and two parts guys almost an hour to find a valid part number for it. They'd only heard of it when some guys running the Oregon Trail Rally were looking for it, and didn't know how to help.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

daslog posted:

If you do the math, it's probably cheaper to do it at the dealer.

I'll call them up tomorrow for pricing. mysubaru.com tells me to change the oil and rotate the tires at 7500 and I can't rotate tires at home so we'll see what the price difference is between getting one or both done at the dealership.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
i'm interested in a new 5-door sti. is the 2013 a good buy?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Jam2 posted:

i'm interested in a new 5-door sti. is the 2013 a good buy?

Pretty much the same as the MY11 and MY12 I believe.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

I'll call them up tomorrow for pricing. mysubaru.com tells me to change the oil and rotate the tires at 7500 and I can't rotate tires at home so we'll see what the price difference is between getting one or both done at the dealership.

They charge $59.95 for an oil change so I'll be doing that myself and saving ~$16. $29.95 for tire rotation & balance with a coupon that I have. I'm going to see if any local tire places will do that cheaper.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
Anyone know what would cause the drain plug on a 5 speed to start leaking? It's a really slow leak, but it's definitely dripping. The dealership checked it out before, and said they backed it out and re-torqued it, but it's still leaking. Odd, since it has never been touched until it was re-torqued.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do people mount off road lights to their grille, or does it just appear that way? If so, is there some kind of bracket adapter involved?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Do people mount off road lights to their grille, or does it just appear that way? If so, is there some kind of bracket adapter involved?

They mount them to the radiator support and pop the bracket out through the grill.

Because I can't whore my RS enough:

Initial bracket I made out of 1/4 inch steel and a big loving hammer. This held 2x hella 500s until I bought a second pair for 20 bucks.

I made a crossbar out of angle steel.

I used a trailer wiring harness to make a quick disconnect. Eventually I will be tying the brackets into the front uframe, and going with a new crossbar to fit hella FF700's on.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Danger Doug posted:

Anyone know what would cause the drain plug on a 5 speed to start leaking? It's a really slow leak, but it's definitely dripping. The dealership checked it out before, and said they backed it out and re-torqued it, but it's still leaking. Odd, since it has never been touched until it was re-torqued.

Replace the o-ring.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

They mount them to the radiator support and pop the bracket out through the grill.

Because I can't whore my RS enough:

Initial bracket I made out of 1/4 inch steel and a big loving hammer. This held 2x hella 500s until I bought a second pair for 20 bucks.

I made a crossbar out of angle steel.

I used a trailer wiring harness to make a quick disconnect. Eventually I will be tying the brackets into the front uframe, and going with a new crossbar to fit hella FF700's on.

Interesting. Do you have it wired through your high beams, or a separate switch?

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

Amandyke posted:

Replace the o-ring.

Didn't know it had an o-ring. Thanks :)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Interesting. Do you have it wired through your high beams, or a separate switch?

I have it wired so it's wired to the high beams. They only come on when the high beams are on, so I can dip to lows on public roads when I see lights coming the other way. I used to live in hillbilly deer country.

Right now they don't work at all and I have to figure out why.

They were also ghetto wired not by me. They would come on when the switch was on and the car was off, I need to figure out why and wire them so they only come on when CAR: on, SWITCH: on, HIGHS: on, but that's so far backburnered right now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Slow is Fast posted:

I have it wired so it's wired to the high beams. They only come on when the high beams are on, so I can dip to lows on public roads when I see lights coming the other way. I used to live in hillbilly deer country.

Right now they don't work at all and I have to figure out why.

They were also ghetto wired not by me. They would come on when the switch was on and the car was off, I need to figure out why and wire them so they only come on when CAR: on, SWITCH: on, HIGHS: on, but that's so far backburnered right now.

Use a relay in a socket. Feed the driving lights directly from your battery (through a fuse of course) and tap one of the high-beam wires for the relay's coil activation.

Terminal connections for standard automotive relay:

87: ground (battery ground works)
30: tap from high-beam wire
85: battery + (through fuse)
86: to + of your driving lights

Ground the driving lights to the chassis or the battery. Use heavy-gauge wire for 85, 86 and your driving light ground.

ninja edit: even better to wire a switch into the cabin in-line with the high-beam -> terminal 30 connection so that you can turn your driving lights off even when your high-beams are on.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sofullofhate posted:

Use a relay in a socket. Feed the driving lights directly from your battery (through a fuse of course) and tap one of the high-beam wires for the relay's coil activation.

Terminal connections for standard automotive relay:

87: ground (battery ground works)
30: tap from high-beam wire
85: battery + (through fuse)
86: to + of your driving lights

Ground the driving lights to the chassis or the battery. Use heavy-gauge wire for 85, 86 and your driving light ground.

ninja edit: even better to wire a switch into the cabin in-line with the high-beam -> terminal 30 connection so that you can turn your driving lights off even when your high-beams are on.

Thanks, I'll look into this when I have time, right now gutting the RS and figuring out what the clunking in my rear right strut is the top priority.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

FogHelmut posted:

I had mine through a switch with the high beams. So switch needed to be on and high beams needed to be on for them to work. That way you don't always have the driving lights on with the high beams, but at the same time you can only have them on with the high beams.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 7, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Our local TSD says that turning off the high beams should always kill the driving lamps so that would be ideal here as well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So here was a waste of $1100. No warranty since I opened my big mouth and told them this 02 engine was going in a 99. Only difference is the intake manifold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYlMjr-qm1k

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Billy Tully posted:

So here was a waste of $1100. No warranty since I opened my big mouth and told them this 02 engine was going in a 99. Only difference is the intake manifold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYlMjr-qm1k

What's it matter what year it goes into. The engine is hosed...

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Does anyone know if any companies make final drives for our cars? Specifically for the 5spd. Stock, I have a 4.11.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Amandyke posted:

What's it matter what year it goes into. The engine is hosed...

Yea, Im gonna call them tomorrow and see if I have any recourse. Its pretty clear that they sold me a poo poo engine. They claimed it had 116k on it but the carbon buildup in the intake from the PCV and on top of the pistons was pretty heavy. Even the engine with 182k on it that I took out of the car had less buildup.

It had also been taken apart once because the case had black RTV between the halves and whoever put the oil pan back on used an entire tube of RTV and was a ham-fisted moron.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So my 2011 STi is making some type of noise from the front end, maybe passenger side, when i hit bumps. Its a wallowing noise, not a pop or click, it sounds like a racket ball is bouncing around or something. I'm about to go put my car on ramps an see what i can see. For what its worth, it almost sounds like the intake duct since that thing just loosely sits there and I'm sure bounces around like crazy and when i move it thats kind of what it sounds like.

Subaru build quality is for the loving birds. Car has 8800 miles on it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Are my front drive shafts supposed to have a little play in them? The rears are solid...

U joints say yes. No?

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 8, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why are you not just taking it to the dealer? This is what your warranty is for.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

DreamOn13 posted:

Why are you not just taking it to the dealer? This is what your warranty is for.

They are impossible to get ahold of and are open lame hours.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Does anyone know if any companies make final drives for our cars? Specifically for the 5spd. Stock, I have a 4.11.

What are you looking to do? Go up or down in final drive?

I did an entire driveline swap for 800 bucks to a 4.44 FXT setup, which got me a 4.44 FD, cheaper then splitting a trans for a gear swap.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

What are you looking to do? Go up or down in final drive?

I did an entire driveline swap for 800 bucks to a 4.44 FXT setup, which got me a 4.44 FD, cheaper then splitting a trans for a gear swap.

Up in final drive (4.44 would be great); but, class rules allow for swapping only the final drive for no points. Anything else is points or not allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

c355n4 posted:

Up in final drive (4.44 would be great); but, class rules allow for swapping only the final drive for no points. Anything else is points or not allowed.

Well how are they gonna know? Do they check serial numbers?