Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what

Dogen posted:

There's a difference between mirror and just airplay, and I think if someone's trying to just airplay movies to the ATV as the poster above, it's fine. Although since mirror is the new feature here, maybe that is what they meant. WHO KNOWS
Whoops yeah, I meant mirroring over AirPlay (the new feature), mostly for network tv-site streaming, ESPN3, etc. The sites that it would be nice to have regular ol' aTV apps for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Has anyone figured out how to get the NBC olypics live streaming app to work on their apple tv.

I have an iPhone 4 and a '11 MBP. I can't get it to work on my iphone, just plays the sound. And I don't really see an option to just airplay the webapp without mirroring my whole laptop

Any advice on this?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'd guess you'd need a 4S to mirror it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hell loving yes: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/hulu-plus-app-live-on-apple-tv/

Gonna get this rocking when I get home from work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The death of cable is among us.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Hell loving yes: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/hulu-plus-app-live-on-apple-tv/

Gonna get this rocking when I get home from work.

Just came to post about Hulu+ being added. That's pretty big news. I am curious to see if the app is still automatically added on jailbroken devices.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
That's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll ever do Amazon VOD/Prime.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

choobs posted:

That's pretty cool. I wonder if they'll ever do Amazon VOD/Prime.

It depends on the state of Amazon's relationship with Apple. Since you need a Prime membership to get Amazon's VOD, Amazon would need to allow Apple to take a cut.

Doesn't the Kindle apps for iOS devices lack all the shopping/membership sign up stuff because Amazon didn't want to give up that percentage?

Obviously, it appears Apple and Hulu have agreed to get past this issue.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

This is exactly what I've been waiting for before signing up with Hulu Plus. Great news.

Thwomp posted:

Doesn't the Kindle apps for iOS devices lack all the shopping/membership sign up stuff because Amazon didn't want to give up that percentage?

There's a little more to it than that. There are both financial and technical reasons that they can't do it. It's not just that Amazon doesn't want to give up the thirty percent, they literally can't afford to under their current deals. My understanding is that publishers get 70% of the money when Amazon sells a Kindle book. If Amazon had to then give 30% of the money to Apple there would literally be nothing left for themselves. Plus, there is a limit to the number of items you can sell through iOS's in-app purchasing. I don't know what the limit is, but it's well below the number of books that Amazon offers in the Kindle Store. There's really no way that Amazon can sell Kindle books through an iOS app under Apple's current rules.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Thwomp posted:

It depends on the state of Amazon's relationship with Apple. Since you need a Prime membership to get Amazon's VOD, Amazon would need to allow Apple to take a cut.

Obviously, it appears Apple and Hulu have agreed to get past this issue.

Yeah, I know this because a year ago I updated my Audible (audiobook) app and it told me "sorry, you can't browse and buy books right from the app anymore" which pissed me off. I'm in IT; huge swaths of time are taken up waiting for poo poo or doing mindless repetitive tasks I don't need my whole brain for; podcasts/audiobooks are the only things that keep me sane. (Can't listen to music anymore since I mindlessly sang "Chasey Lain" by Bloodhound Gang walking down the hallway.)

More on topic: I haven't looked at Hulu in years, since before they had a paid model. Is it worth it if I already have Netflix? My main concerns are quality and ads--the only commercials I see right now are streaming The Daily Show and it's often the same one or two commercials repeated endlessly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

More on topic: I haven't looked at Hulu in years, since before they had a paid model. Is it worth it if I already have Netflix? My main concerns are quality and ads--the only commercials I see right now are streaming The Daily Show and it's often the same one or two commercials repeated endlessly.

I think Hulu+ is much more about current seasons of shows, while NetFlix is about past seasons. If you have completely cut the cord and are buying shows on iTunes, I think you will definitely come out ahead on Hulu+ if you can deal with the ads. Even if you just watch TDS.

I will definitely try it for a month though, having it on the Apple TV is a huge benefit to me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

It's great for cord cutting but only if your shows are on it. For the most part, it carries everything that's currently airing and puts them up the day after.

I like to think of it as an internet DVR (with an ad or two per break which I can live with). I watch what I want to when it airs, everything else mostly gets covered by Hulu+. Obviously there are exceptions and you should always check first to see if it'll work for you.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Has anyone tried it out yet? Specifically, I'm wondering if some of the Hulu+ shows that have been blocked from mobile devices work on AppleTV.

I'm assuming they don't consider ATV to be a mobile device and that they work fine, but would like confirmation.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Blocked on mobile? Can you give some examples?

I only ask because I never encountered a show that wasn't available on my iPad/iPhone but was on the website.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't know about being blocked on mobile but some shows are blocked on Xbox which are available on the website, might be similar for ATV.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Blocked on mobile? Can you give some examples?

I only ask because I never encountered a show that wasn't available on my iPad/iPhone but was on the website.
Actually, it says blocked on TV and Mobile, so I guess that answers it.

http://www.hulu.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance (don't judge, it's for MY WIFE)

Hulu Website posted:

We currently don't have the rights to make this show available on your TV or mobile devices — request to be notified if it becomes available in Hulu Plus.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

dexter6 posted:

Actually, it says blocked on TV and Mobile, so I guess that answers it.

http://www.hulu.com/so-you-think-you-can-dance (don't judge, it's for MY WIFE)

So you think you can dance is probably the best amongst the pile of poo poo that is reality television :colbert:

(I only watch it because MY WIFE)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Question Regarding AirPlay Mirroring:

If I'm using XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2 and I want to use mirroring, do I need to shut down XBMC and enable the built-in Airplay service on the ATV? I need to play Carcassonne on my tv.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Question Regarding AirPlay Mirroring:

If I'm using XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2 and I want to use mirroring, do I need to shut down XBMC and enable the built-in Airplay service on the ATV? I need to play Carcassonne on my tv.

Current builds of XBMC for ATV support AirPlay.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Legdiian posted:

Current builds of XBMC for ATV support AirPlay.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay#advancedsettings.xml

Based on the wiki, mirroring is not yet supported. You can however, have it function for audio and video.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay#advancedsettings.xml

Based on the wiki, mirroring is not yet supported. You can however, have it function for audio and video.

Whoops I saw "AirPlay" and ignored "mirroring" :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I can get Airplay audio/video working without a problem on XBMC, I just never see the "mirroring" option when I do it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Nobody here is talking about Hulu Plus magically appearing on our ATV's over the last few days? I noticed last night when I actually bothered to back all the way out of Netflix..........and then saw it. :cool:

Then my ATV locked up and despite several reboots, still won't do anything except show the main screen. :ughh:

See it now..I missed the last few posts before all the XBMC ones. :suicide:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 2, 2012

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nobody here is talking about Hulu Plus magically appearing on our ATV's over the last few days? I noticed last night when I actually bothered to back all the way out of Netflix..........and then saw it. :cool:

Then my ATV locked up and despite several reboots, still won't do anything except show the main screen. :ughh:

This entire page is filled with talk about it.

s3r
Oct 23, 2008
I have a 2011 Mac Mini which is connected to an HDTV located on the other side of the room. I currently run a long HDMI cable along the floor to accomplish this. I am wondering if I could replace that cable with an ATV3 and Airplay Mirroring; has anyone tried this?

I have read there are problems with no monitor being connected which can be overcome, however I am unable to Google up any results of the computer remembering to auto-enable the Airplay Mirror on reboot/sleep.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

s3r posted:

I have a 2011 Mac Mini which is connected to an HDTV located on the other side of the room. I currently run a long HDMI cable along the floor to accomplish this. I am wondering if I could replace that cable with an ATV3 and Airplay Mirroring; has anyone tried this?

I have read there are problems with no monitor being connected which can be overcome, however I am unable to Google up any results of the computer remembering to auto-enable the Airplay Mirror on reboot/sleep.

Have you simply tried a wireless hdmi solution yet?

s3r
Oct 23, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Have you simply tried a wireless hdmi solution yet?

I haven't tried a wireless HDMI solution due to cost. The reason I am exploring this idea is the low(er) cost, and the bonus functionality of the ATV.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Hey guys anyone have advice on which media apps are good for jailbroke atv 2?

I have xbmc and I am loving the ability to watch my tv shows/movies on my living room tv I downloaded on my computer. However my guess is there is more I can do with this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Just found out that ATV3 can't be jailbroken, I really don't want any of the stock stuff as much as XBMC. Used ATV2 costs more than a new one because of it :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Just found out that ATV3 can't be jailbroken, I really don't want any of the stock stuff as much as XBMC. Used ATV2 costs more than a new one because of it :(

Yeah i sold my ATV2 for $160... is there any reason why the ATV3 can't be jailbroken?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mister Fister posted:

Yeah i sold my ATV2 for $160... is there any reason why the ATV3 can't be jailbroken?

They havent figured out how to do it yet.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FishBulb posted:

They havent figured out how to do it yet.

Oh, it's just a matter of time, gotcha.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Holy crap. I should sell my ATV2 then since I'm not interested in jailbreaking.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

echobucket posted:

Holy crap. I should sell my ATV2 then since I'm not interested in jailbreaking.
Yes you should because ATV3 is better and smaller and 1080p (unless you need to JB for some reason, like you don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac around to stream non-iTunes format media to it.)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

randyest posted:

Yes you should because ATV3 is better and smaller and 1080p (unless you need to JB for some reason, like you don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac around to stream non-iTunes format media to it.)

This. There are so many ways of working around the limitations of a non–jailbroken ATV. The only thing you don't get is the ability to browse you content on the ATV itself ala XBMC or PLEX. (Unless you go the route of converting your content to iTunes format which is trivial if it's already h264 encoded.)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

This. There are so many ways of working around the limitations of a non–jailbroken ATV. The only thing you don't get is the ability to browse you content on the ATV itself ala XBMC or PLEX. (Unless you go the route of converting your content to iTunes format which is trivial if it's already h264 encoded.)

See, I went the route of using my quad core i5 iMac to reencode stuff and stick it into my iTunes library. Works a treat and I can just use the native Apple TV UI to browse my movies and shows.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

echobucket posted:

See, I went the route of using my quad core i5 iMac to reencode stuff and stick it into my iTunes library. Works a treat and I can just use the native Apple TV UI to browse my movies and shows.

Once you use XBMC and all it's cover art glory you can never go back to the native Apple TV UI.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Legdiian posted:

Once you use XBMC and all it's cover art glory you can never go back to the native Apple TV UI.

I actually prefer the aTV Flash media player UI (as it looks native and runs very well). The XBMC port is a little too slow/laggy for my liking. It has gotten better in the past updates though, so it may surpass it in the future.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Legdiian posted:

The Apple TV UI looks fine, is fast, easy to navigate and has cover art. Not sure why I'd need something else that is buggier. (Everytime I've ever used XBMC or Plex on ANY platform, it hasn't been as reliable as the Apple TV built in software)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

echobucket posted:

The Apple TV UI looks fine, is fast, easy to navigate and has cover art. Not sure why I'd need something else that is buggier. (Everytime I've ever used XBMC or Plex on ANY platform, it hasn't been as reliable as the Apple TV built in software)

Watched tags, Set grouping, can sync libraries across multiple devices, much more detailed meta data, more flexibility when it comes to artwork and metadata sources, more choices in skins....I could go on and on. ATV is great if you're 100% invested in the ecosystem, but don't act like XBMC isn't a superior media center in almost every other way*.

*except Netflix

• Locked thread