Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I'm looking for something that I (thought) would be pretty simple to find. Basically, I'm about to move into a new apartment and I'd like to use a tablet app to sketch out the dimensions of the apartment, and then let me place furniture into it.

I've tried several apps and they're either too expensive ($99), or too crappy, or too unwieldy, or whatever.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I think there's plenty of blame to go around. The user by virtue of installing and using a third party app store should understand what they're doing, the app developer should do a better job, but ultimately I'm inclined to agree with you that if Amazon is going to take on the burden of curating their app store and managing the user experience of that then ultimately the responsibility lies with them. Of course it's not like they've been good at this in the past so a certain degree of caveat emptor should be expected.

What was that file browser app that everybody likes that wasn't ES? I'm wanting to try it out again and haven't been able to remember the name for two days now.

Solid Explorer.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

LastInLine posted:

What was that file browser app that everybody likes that wasn't ES? I'm wanting to try it out again and haven't been able to remember the name for two days now.

You might be thinking of Astro.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, I don't know why I didn't try this before, but...

I installed BubbleUPNP last night. Once I enabled UPNP in XBMC settings, its been super easy to just stream videos and pictures off my phone right to my TV.

So yeah, if you use XBMC and Android and aren't behind the times like me, give it a go. It's pretty cool.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I Dont Like You posted:

Solid Explorer.
Thanks!

plester1 posted:

You might be thinking of Astro.
I'm really not a fan of Astro.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

Interesting, Swiftkey seems interesting if not a bit pricey. Swype has really sold me on "drawing" my words though. Thanks for all your points of view.

I got Swiftkey when is was free or super-cheap on the market one day and I've actually never used it. I just find Swype so easy to use and actually intuitive, as strange as that may sound.

Then again, I've never really gotten the hang of using predictive text, so the fact that Swype mainly does "correction" is probably much better for me.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Inspector_71 posted:

I got Swiftkey when is was free or super-cheap on the market one day and I've actually never used it. I just find Swype so easy to use and actually intuitive, as strange as that may sound.

Then again, I've never really gotten the hang of using predictive text, so the fact that Swype mainly does "correction" is probably much better for me.
I had swiftkey from an amazon free app of the day thing, and still got the full version when it went on the dime deal from the market last year. Very useful.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Man, I wish I'd got SwiftKey during the 10 cent sale, instead of SlideIT. I used that for 10min or less. I did manage to get SwiftKey when it was on sale for, like, $2, so I guess I really can't complain.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Would be nice if you could gift unwanted apps somehow - I tried to like Swiftkey but still think the standard JB keyboard does a better job (looks better and takes up less space too)

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I installed BubbleUPNP last night. Once I enabled UPNP in XBMC settings, its been super easy to just stream videos and pictures off my phone right to my TV.

So yeah, if you use XBMC and Android and aren't behind the times like me, give it a go. It's pretty cool.

I got BubbleUPnP with the $25 included with my N7 purchase, this app in combination with MX Player have been bullet proof, plays most anything on any device on my lan.

I've tried a few server/client apps and BubbleUPnP is the easiest and most glitchy free of any imho. 5 stars!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Coincidentally, I was also playing with Bubbleupnp last night. You can also use it to stream videos from your XBMC library to your phone or tablet. XBMC's library shows up as a UPNP/DLNA share.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Question about the Google+ app:

I'm running stock ICS on my rooted Droid Incredible 2 and when I view an Event or something with multiple comments the comments show up in full. Meanwhile my two friends both have Droids (2 and 3 respectively) running whatever version of Gingerbread and when they look at comments on G+, the comment "cards" don't show the whole thing. Further, I can't find a way to expand the cards to see the rest of the post. Am I missing something?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowen SoDium posted:

Coincidentally, I was also playing with Bubbleupnp last night. You can also use it to stream videos from your XBMC library to your phone or tablet. XBMC's library shows up as a UPNP/DLNA share.

Yeah. I still keep Plex Media Server installed on my server and the Plex app on my phone because it transcodes video streams to stream at a lower bitrate over 3g. Once XBMC can do transcoding, it will be great.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. I still keep Plex Media Server installed on my server and the Plex app on my phone because it transcodes video streams to stream at a lower bitrate over 3g. Once XBMC can do transcoding, it will be great.

Bubbleupnp also has a PC server program that is supposed to do transcoding, I think. But I haven't messed with it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is there an app I can use to change notification sounds? I know you can easily change the default notification but I want to change things like the low battery alert sound and such.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
I'm looking for a simple location based reminder and time based reminder app. I know I can use Tasker to accomplish this, but I would prefer something I can do quicklier and more simple.
Is there anything like that on the market?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Cacahuate posted:

I'm looking for a simple location based reminder and time based reminder app. I know I can use Tasker to accomplish this, but I would prefer something I can do quicklier and more simple.
Is there anything like that on the market?

I use Google Calendar to do regular reminders, there might be something in Latitude to do the same.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Inspector_71 posted:

I've been touchtyping for 20 years but when I try Swype I get lost in the words, it just breaks my brain, completely different action for my muscle memory or something.

Swiftkey I pretty much just watch the prediction bar as I type, soon as I see the word I want up there I press it. Often means just pressing two or three letters to type some sentences which is just eerie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bonzo posted:

Is there an app I can use to change notification sounds? I know you can easily change the default notification but I want to change things like the low battery alert sound and such.

Generally, things like that are built into the system files...you would need root, and then a file explorer like Root Explorer that can navigate to the system directories.

What phone do you have? I think that makes a difference.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Generally, things like that are built into the system files...you would need root, and then a file explorer like Root Explorer that can navigate to the system directories.

What phone do you have? I think that makes a difference.

I have a Galaxy S2. I've seen some people post that you can just search for the .ogg files and replace them.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I want to turn on 2-factor auth for my google account. How does that impact my phone and tablet?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Turnquiet posted:

I want to turn on 2-factor auth for my google account. How does that impact my phone and tablet?

I just read that article too.

After you turn it on, you will have to generate per-device-passwords for any android device you have. It only takes a second and if you lose or have your device stolen, you can revoke access to just the device with out needed to change your account password.

It's pretty painless.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Turnquiet posted:

You'll have to enter an application specific password for each device, but you'll only need to do it once unless you wipe the device or something.

Also I'm assuming you'll want to install the author app.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Turnquiet posted:

You'll need the authenticator app, and you'll have to generate a unique password for each device or service connecting to your Google account before you can continue using it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Looking for a podcatcher that downloads mp3's without renaming and folder specific for each feed. Anything like that out there?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Yeah, looks like this is a hot topic on the tech blogs today after this story broke.

Found a linked video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMabEyrtPRg

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Alarbus posted:

You'll need the authenticator app, and you'll have to generate a unique password for each device or service connecting to your Google account before you can continue using it.

If you forget to install Authenticator you can:
- Have Google SMS an auth code to your phone
- Print out some backup codes and keep them somewhere

I keep a set of backup codes behind my driving licence in my wallet just in case (only had to use one so far when my phone battery went flat right as the 30 day auth expired on my PC).

Just to clarify, the Authenticator app is not for authenticating your phone. It's to use like an RSA token to generate codes to type into whatever other services you need to log into on a PC or whatever. For example, once you enable 2FA then Gmail will prompt you for an authorisation code when you next log into it. You can then (optionally) have it not prompt for another one for 30 days, or you can have it always prompt.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
You can't use application-specific passwords for your devices, it scolds you and asks for your Google account's main password instead.

While we're on authenticator-chat, though, have a look at this:

Am I OK to remove these? I assume that whatever uses these will ask nicely again to access my +1s :ohdear:

spincube fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 7, 2012

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Does 2-factor work with Google Apps accounts? I don't see the option on my settings page.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

spincube posted:

You can't use application-specific passwords for your devices, it scolds you and asks for your Google account's main password instead.

Uh, I used application-specific passwords for my phone and tablet with out any issue.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe. But I'm going to give Amazon a lot of poo poo for this one. It's absolutely irresponsible for them to approve an app which falls back inappropriately (locks you out of your device) when there's a licensing issue.

You can blame the original app developer for that too. But it might be some kid who doesn't know the first thing about designing a security app. The whole point of Amazon's store is that this stuff is supposed to be professionally vetted, and security apps need to be vetted more than, say, a game.

Perhaps the bigger lesson here is "don't purchase things from the Amazon Appstore."

I lost faith when they wouldn't vet the Awful App after two submissions; they didn't follow any of Ferg's instructions or explanations, and the vetter took a poo poo in random threads using Ferg's account.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

spincube posted:

Yeah, as Lowen SoDium said, this doesn't match with my experience at all - after enabling 2FA my Android phone lost the ability to sync with Google until I'd created an application specific password for it and then entered it into the phone.

This is the entire point of their 2FA system for devices and services which don't actually support the authorisation codes; you have to create an application specific password so that you can then revoke it if the device/service is compromised.

edit:
Actually, spincube, the 2nd item on your list should be what your phone is using to access Google services. If you revoke that I would expect your phone to lose the ability to sync until you set up a new ASP for it.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 7, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

ilkhan posted:

Does 2-factor work with Google Apps accounts? I don't see the option on my settings page.

Yes it does. You need to turn it on for the domain first, and then enable it on individual accounts. I use it on 3 of my Google apps accounts and it's the best thing ever.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Did anybody else upgrade to the latest WidgetLocker beta and now can't use it because it's asking for an email and authorization code but they don't have your email address on file? I purchased it through the Play Store v:confused:v

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

I use Notes on my iPhone all the time-- what's the defacto note taking app for Android tablets?

I know you guys probably get that question a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP, and I just got my first Android device (Nexus 7) this afternoon.

Also, I have about $22 from my purchase of the tablet left in my Google Play account (the only thing I've bought so far is BeWeather). Anything I should grab utility wise that costs money?

Latepost but I really like epistle, which is pretty much just as basic as the iphone note app but syncs plaintext to a folder in your dropbox.

Speaking of dropbox, the camera upload feature won't work because it says my battery is low - my battery is at 30%. What kind of lovely low battery cutoff is 30% :catstare:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Frozen-Solid posted:

Yes it does. You need to turn it on for the domain first, and then enable it on individual accounts. I use it on 3 of my Google apps accounts and it's the best thing ever.
Took me a minute to find the setting. Thanks for confirming that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mister Snips posted:

Latepost but I really like epistle, which is pretty much just as basic as the iphone note app but syncs plaintext to a folder in your dropbox.

Speaking of dropbox, the camera upload feature won't work because it says my battery is low - my battery is at 30%. What kind of lovely low battery cutoff is 30% :catstare:

One for iPhone users, judging by my wife's paranoia. If her phone gets near 50%, she gets worried and wants to plug it in.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

One for iPhone users, judging by my wife's paranoia. If her phone gets near 50%, she gets worried and wants to plug it in.
I can't remember the last time my phone was below 50%.

On another note, thanks to whomever it was who suggested GoodNews. This is fabulous.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

LastInLine posted:

Thanks!
I'm really not a fan of Astro.

I'm a fan of Ghost Commander (I think that's what it's called, Ghost something). It's a multi-panel file browser, so basically your source folder is on the left, and then you swipe over to the right to get to the destination folder. Makes things a lot easier if you are moving multiple files to the same folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm a fan of Ghost Commander (I think that's what it's called, Ghost something). It's a multi-panel file browser, so basically your source folder is on the left, and then you swipe over to the right to get to the destination folder. Makes things a lot easier if you are moving multiple files to the same folder.
Yeah that's how Solid Explorer is but you can't have one panel default to a network share which is the only thing I'd ever want it to be. Plus it wouldn't remember my network so I ended up uninstalling it (again). I guess I'll try it again when the next beta version comes out.

• Locked thread