Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
i'm trying as hard as i can not to have a career and so far it's working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

tef posted:

:qq: MY MERITOCRACY :qq:

it's more just word of mouth and you're constantly busy and can bill $140-$150 an hour because of demand

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

all programmers are bad

this is dumb and not true

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Sweeper posted:

you're dumb for believing in people

Meiwaku
Jan 10, 2011

Fun for the whole family!

vapid cutlery posted:

i'm trying as hard as i can not to have a career and so far it's working

madvise(this, 1024, MADV_DONTNEED);

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Meiwaku posted:

madvise(this, 1024, MADV_DONTNEED);

this kind of thing really belongs in CoC

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.
i know enough c already i just want a noob baby primer on osx coding so i can tinker with touch events, cocoa less so i just figured a simple ui would make visualising it easier

the point where ill be way over my head is when i try to make a touch controlled midi synth but thats probably more of a winter project

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

cleanhands posted:

i know enough c already i just want a noob baby primer on osx coding so i can tinker with touch events, cocoa less so i just figured a simple ui would make visualising it easier

the point where ill be way over my head is when i try to make a touch controlled midi synth but thats probably more of a winter project

do the stanford course

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

vapid cutlery posted:

this kind of thing really belongs in CoC
of course, this thread is your livejournal twitter stream

would not want to pollute it

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

My opinions, though not completely awful are expressed in a tiresome and needlessly aggressive way. Please help me to chill out.

vapid cutlery posted:

do the stanford course

isnt that an ios one

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Sweeper posted:

sorry kid, it's true, every single person that i respect as a programmer will readily admit the human race is writing poo poo software at this stage of the game

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cleanhands posted:

the problem isn't the language it's the api. so have fun reading i guess?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sorry kid, it's true, every single person that i respect as a programmer will readily admit the human race is writing poo poo software at this stage of the game

all software will be poo poo until computers are self programming at which point we'll all be out of our phoney baloney jobs fyi

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

Stringent posted:

the problem isn't the language it's the api. so have fun reading i guess?

have fun reading what though, cmon yall

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

cleanhands posted:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/navigation/index.html

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/navigation/

there, pick your poison and have fun reading for the rest of eternity

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cleanhands posted:

the apple docs, they're very well written and mostly up to date

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

oh i was afraid that would be the same poo poo as in the xcode help files but welp it actually looks useful, shoulda gone there first sorry everyone

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Stringent posted:

the apple docs, they're very well written and mostly up to date

the class references are often out of date, to the point where apple often recommends just reading the header files

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Toady posted:

the class references are often out of date, to the point where apple often recommends just reading the header files

drat, i have to be a programmer

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

thank goodness for Open Quickly (shift-command-o)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

vapid cutlery posted:

drat, i have to be a programmer

documentation that's not machine-validated or derived directly from the source is dubious at best

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
or or or better yet, we could have a word .doc that gets compiled!

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Toady posted:

thank goodness for Open Quickly (shift-command-o)

i usually just command-click on stuff. or alt-click if i want to read the docs

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

JawnV6 posted:

or or or better yet, we could have a word .doc that gets compiled!

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

a big problem is a culture where "i have to talk fast because I don't have time to listen" is encouraged. applied to software that becomes

"I have to get this code done before the customer changes their mind" and the corollary

"ok, that didn't work, maybe if I can get the code done so fast that they haven't even finished their sentence I can stump them" which is then sugarcoated as rapid application development (RAD!!!) or prototyping

I wouldn't say all software is poo poo, it's just the best it can be

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
why isn't there a widespread movement to manage the expectations of customers since they all seem to think that software is easy

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

vapid cutlery posted:

why isn't there a widespread movement to manage the expectations of customers since they all seem to think that software is easy

it is tho

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2773485&pagenumber=279&perpage=40#post401897709

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

somebody messing up C isn't evidence that software is hard, just evidence that C is bad

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

somebody messing up C isn't evidence that software is hard, just evidence that C is bad

it's evidence that they have no idea what they're talking about

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

documentation that's not machine-validated or derived directly from the source is dubious at best

its almost 9 years since i was tearing my hair out trying to make sense of the java docs, drat

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

yep software is not easy and i'm wrong because i didn't know the syntax for a dynamically allocated matrix in C one time. Also I make a point of saying that I am not a mast3r cod3r and I am literally in college

u mad tho

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Socracheese posted:

yep software is not easy and i'm wrong because i didn't know the syntax for a dynamically allocated matrix in C one time. Also I make a point of saying that I am not a mast3r cod3r and I am literally in college

u mad tho

pointing out obvious flaws makes me "mad"? what are you talking about

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"i'm wrong and generally a dumbass but if i call someone mad i automatically win" try gbs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Socracheese posted:

u mad tho

if software is easy why do you have to go to college for it

cleanhands
Jun 9, 2010

lol if u r literally in college rather than just acting like it all the time

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if software is easy why do you have to go to college for it

didn't you read what he said earlier? he totally doesn't http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481275&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post406283538

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i think the right answer is "programming is easy, software is hard"

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
the worst part of programming is developing software yea

Adbot