Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

cargo cult posted:

name 8-10 random indie pop songs that are relevant right now? Where can I find random pop-ish popular songs at short notice? I can't really gently caress with pandora or spotify right now, I'm thinking literally a list of "listen to this skip that"
I've been putting together a pretty big Indie-Pop playlist over the last couple months: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95DC883D6A0FB833
It's not bleeding-edge current, but it's good handpicked stuff from the last couple of years anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Elphiem posted:

People always complain that they only get 45 minutes of show per week, everything is still constrained by time slots. When they film reality shows, they must have hundreds of hours of wasted footage, just of people sitting around or sleeping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Elphiem posted:

When will TV channels offer 'extended-footage' versions of reality TV shows online?

People always complain that they only get 45 minutes of show per week, everything is still constrained by time slots. When they film reality shows, they must have hundreds of hours of wasted footage, just sitting around.

People would love to watch 3 hour episodes of their favorite shows if they were offered online.

big brother in the UK (I loving hate that show) was showing 24/7 for the last few series, so yes, it often is done.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Cakefool posted:

big brother in the UK (I loving hate that show) was showing 24/7 for the last few series, so yes, it often is done.

I've seen something on Showtime or Starz channel at night called "Big Brother After Dark" and it's pretty much just camera feeds of the house for a couple hours. I have no idea if it's live, or recent, how often it's on, or anything like that. I was kind of surprised to see the show was still on.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Just installed a program where the installer, like all Windows installers ever, said "It is strongly recommended you close all programs before installing." Why? Has anything ever gone remotely wrong when installing a program?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapalama posted:

Walmart needs to keep bugs out like fields do, and laying down a perimeter makes it easier.

Helicopters are insanely expensive to run, but they are far more exact in where they lay down pesticide barrier layers.

Ask a dog owner about spraying an entire lawn to keep fleas out of carpets. It's the same idea. Pesticides outside the place where the food is sold are better than those same pesticides inside the store where food is sold. The adults are hard to kill, and interrupting the life cycle outside is more effective, and safer.

Makes sense I guess, there really is nothing but concrete in front of and to the sides of the store for thousands of feet so I guess that back part was all that really needed it.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Golbez posted:

Just installed a program where the installer, like all Windows installers ever, said "It is strongly recommended you close all programs before installing." Why? Has anything ever gone remotely wrong when installing a program?

If you have a crappy computer that can't handle too much at once, it could freeze up.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Florida Betty posted:

If you have a crappy computer that can't handle too much at once, it could freeze up.

So its not really true that playing minesweeper or something while installing new software will mess up the program somehow?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Florida Betty posted:

That applies to all programs though, not just installers.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I always thought it was an issue of shared files on older computers/operating systems, or something. As in, you didn't want the installer updating a dll (or file from an old install) that was in use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Golbez posted:

I'm pretty sure most of them just put it in there because they've seen others do it and think it's mandatory.

It is relevant to things like Flash Player and stuff where it tells you to close your browser before installing, because it needs to update files the browser is using.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I remember a site that launched 3-4 years ago where you would enter some information and it would set you up for a date in the next couple hours.

Is that still a thing? I can't imagine too many/any women would be on board for something so potentially rapey.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty sure most of them just put it in there because they've seen others do it and think it's mandatory.

It is relevant to things like Flash Player and stuff where it tells you to close your browser before installing, because it needs to update files the browser is using.

But those will specifically wait until the browser is closed. The rest just seems like pointless theatre.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Golbez posted:

But those will specifically wait until the browser is closed. The rest just seems like pointless theatre.

buttopticor has precisely the right of it.

Open a program, then try to move, delete, or rename a file that the program is using. Windows, Mac, and Linux (well, Debian, at least) won't let you do it, because it'll gently caress things up.

Installing software is usually not just a matter of dumping some files on the hard drive and being done with it; often, the installation process modifies or replaces shared DLLs, modifies the registry, and otherwise mucks about with the system. If the installer tries to modify or replace a shared DLL and can't, it'll stop (this is part of what InstallShield is for; I've seen non-IS installers crash hard when they couldn't modify files they wanted to). Registry priority works the same way - if the installer works by opening and editing the registry (rather than just installing a new key, which is a simpler but somewhat more haphazard process), and something else already has the registry open for editing, it can't. (And it's not just as simple as running a check on the file/directory/registry locks it needs - what if an open application decides to open a necessary file after the lock check but before the install gets to it?)

The bottom line is, that line is there because if other programs have open the files that the installer needs, the installer won't work. It's not going to screw up any of the programs you have open, because the operating system won't let it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Besesoth posted:

Open a program, then try to move, delete, or rename a file that the program is using. Windows, Mac, and Linux (well, Debian, at least) won't let you do it, because it'll gently caress things up.

Installing software is usually not just a matter of dumping some files on the hard drive and being done with it; often, the installation process modifies or replaces shared DLLs, modifies the registry, and otherwise mucks about with the system. If the installer tries to modify or replace a shared DLL and can't, it'll stop (this is part of what InstallShield is for; I've seen non-IS installers crash hard when they couldn't modify files they wanted to). Registry priority works the same way - if the installer works by opening and editing the registry (rather than just installing a new key, which is a simpler but somewhat more haphazard process), and something else already has the registry open for editing, it can't. (And it's not just as simple as running a check on the file/directory/registry locks it needs - what if an open application decides to open a necessary file after the lock check but before the install gets to it?)

The bottom line is, that line is there because if other programs have open the files that the installer needs, the installer won't work. It's not going to screw up any of the programs you have open, because the operating system won't let it.

Then instead of the stupid "Close everything!", why not simply say "Oh hey I tried to update something and can't because you're running Firefox, installer will continue when the offending program is closed." And if it can't do it then, complain again and keep trying.

So the solution is, stop relying on a message that no one has followed in decades and just make a better installer? The line is there because it's pointless theatre and no one challenges its existence.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Besesoth posted:

This is not entirely true on Linux and UNIX. Deleting or renaming a file will not affect currently running programs with that file open and can be done freely; programs using it will continue to see the old data until they close the file. (Modifying it in-place - as opposed to writing a new version and then replacing the old version with it as most editors do - is potentially trickier, as programs will see those changes immediately, or at least, as soon as they re-read the file contents.)

The SUSE package manager even has a warning for this - "the update has replaced files currently in use. You should reboot the system or restart the affected programs. Use 'zypper ps' for a list of affected programs." - and the files are actually completely replaced, not a windows-style "the new files are ready in a staging area and will be moved into position next time you reboot".

Windows is much more obnoxious about locking open files and not letting you do anything with them.

Golbez posted:

Then instead of the stupid "Close everything!", why not simply say "Oh hey I tried to update something and can't because you're running Firefox, installer will continue when the offending program is closed." And if it can't do it then, complain again and keep trying.

This does potentially leave you with the problem of getting halfway through the install, being unable to replace a necessary file, and the user being unable or unwilling to close the program using it at the moment. Now you have to worry about half-finished installs and rolling things back and whatnot.

Of course, this is all stuff you should be worrying about anyways - what if there's a power outage? What if the cat unplugs the hard drive? - so "it makes the installer writer need to think harder about stuff they should be handling already anyways" isn't really a good excuse.

uptown
May 16, 2009
Where would I go in the forums to ask someone to photoshop someone out of a picture for me? I took a cute picture of my friend and her kids at the lake that I would like to give her, but someone's head is in the shot too. I don't think it would be too hard to remove the other lady, but I don't know how to use photoshop at all, so it would be impossible for me.

I'm willing to buy someone an avatar of their choice or a forums upgrade, so if anyone in here could do it, let me know! If not a thread where I could ask works too.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uptown posted:

Where would I go in the forums to ask someone to photoshop someone out of a picture for me? I took a cute picture of my friend and her kids at the lake that I would like to give her, but someone's head is in the shot too. I don't think it would be too hard to remove the other lady, but I don't know how to use photoshop at all, so it would be impossible for me.

I'm willing to buy someone an avatar of their choice or a forums upgrade, so if anyone in here could do it, let me know! If not a thread where I could ask works too.

SA-Mart is where all financial transactions go. There are plenty of graphics people who can do this.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to find a list of all 'real' universities in a particular state/region? Every time I try searching for lists, 75% of what I get is online, for-profit, mostly crap places. I'm in the Denver area, if that helps at all; in-person community colleges would work for a list, as well.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there a way to find a list of all 'real' universities in a particular state/region? Every time I try searching for lists, 75% of what I get is online, for-profit, mostly crap places. I'm in the Denver area, if that helps at all; in-person community colleges would work for a list, as well.

Use the National Center for Education Statistic's College Navigator.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Can anyone recommend a good, free chat/text messaging app for Android/iPhone that doesn't say whether or not I've read/the other guy has read a message?

Also, what does the phrase "gently caress you, got mine" mean? What context is it used?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Also, what does the phrase "gently caress you, got mine" mean? What context is it used?
It's a Republican ideology, against things like social welfare.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

OilSlick posted:

Can anyone recommend a good, free chat/text messaging app for Android/iPhone that doesn't say whether or not I've read/the other guy has read a message?

It's basically saying that you don't care what happens to other people, you already have what you want. So if, for example, someone used it in the context of student loan reform someone might say 'I already paid off my loans so I don't care if the interest rate skyrockets. gently caress you, got mine.'

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I accidentally dropped a plastic baggie onto a hot electric stovetop, and now the plastic is fused to the metal and it's very hard to get off. Any suggestions?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Scrape it off, it sucks but is the most safe. Heat it a bit to help it along.

Second option: Try some organic solvents: Acetone is probably your best bet for this.

Last option: Burn it off. The stovetop should be heat resistant. Could create a terrible smell, and keep a fire extinguisher handy. And might not actually remove everything. Oh, and be careful if you dropped some organic solvent around, that poo poo be flammable of course.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Samopsa posted:

Scrape it off, it sucks but is the most safe. Heat it a bit to help it along.

Second option: Try some organic solvents: Acetone is probably your best bet for this.

Last option: Burn it off. The stovetop should be heat resistant. Could create a terrible smell, and keep a fire extinguisher handy. And might not actually remove everything. Oh, and be careful if you dropped some organic solvent around, that poo poo be flammable of course.
It will most certainly burn off, but turn on the fan so you don't breathe any of that mess in. If you can remove the element, maybe freezing it would make the plastic brittle and you could crack it off with some harder plastic. I'd avoid using metal to scrape because that might damage the element.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I accidentally dropped a plastic baggie onto a hot electric stovetop, and now the plastic is fused to the metal and it's very hard to get off. Any suggestions?

I'd honestly turn on a fan and open all the windows, turn the element all the way up, and step outside and watch it until it burns off a bunch more. Then you could probably just use a razor blade to carefully scrape the residue off and then hit it with a vacuum cleaner so burned plastic particles aren't lingering.

Those elements usually unplug pretty easily too, which would make it easier to clean away from the stove, you know, if you don't want the lingering smell of burned plastic.

edit: I must have had the thread open for a while; beaten, etc.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Whatsapp seems to be the standard cross-platform message app these days. It will indicate a message has been sent and received but not whether it's been read.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Golbez posted:

So the solution is, stop relying on a message that no one has followed in decades and just make a better installer? The line is there because it's pointless theatre and no one challenges its existence.

A lot of programs came with DLLs for things like common C runtime libraries from Microsoft compilers, and then Microsoft would release patches and new versions of them to fix bugs. If you installed the version of the DLL you needed, you'd probably be overwriting a file someone else relied on, and there wasn't really a way to identify who that might be or whether they were running. It was safer to warn the user to shut down everything. That's also why installing new software would occasionally break random things, if somebody didn't do a good job of backwards compatibility in a new revision of a library.

Windows and its tools are getting better about this, though, and its rarely such a problem any longer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It will most certainly burn off, but turn on the fan so you don't breathe any of that mess in. If you can remove the element, maybe freezing it would make the plastic brittle and you could crack it off with some harder plastic. I'd avoid using metal to scrape because that might damage the element.

I was thinking of making like a hood to enclose the area above the stove and then turn on the stove fan while it burns off. But I'd have to make it out of something non-flammable. Thanks for the suggestions, I might just have to open the windows and go outside.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

uptown posted:

Depending on the background, you may be able to do it a lot easier than you think. Photoshop now has a feature called "content-aware fill" that I'm pretty sure works by some sort of dark sorcery. You just use the lasso to select the thing you want to remove and tell it to fill that area and it works out what to put there based on the surrounding areas.

This video shows how amazing it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Disco Godfather posted:

I remember a site that launched 3-4 years ago where you would enter some information and it would set you up for a date in the next couple hours.

Is that still a thing? I can't imagine too many/any women would be on board for something so potentially rapey.

Okcupid has a feature on their mobile apps called 'Local' where you can set a location or landmark (cafe / bar / park) and it will search for other users in your area who you can then message asking to meet at your chosen location in [5 minutes / an hour / at 6:00 tonight]. There are also a ton of hook-up apps like Grindr and Blendr on the iPhone but they're more sex oriented and less for just dating or meeting new people.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Is there a thread for helping you remember the name of computer games, like the ones for books and movies? I looked through Games and PYF and didn't see anything.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I want to sell a bunch of my old games, some PC, some PS2 and a couple PS1. Should I put them on eBay?

Also, I've never used eBay before - is there anything I need to know?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

stubblyhead posted:

Is there a thread for helping you remember the name of computer games, like the ones for books and movies? I looked through Games and PYF and didn't see anything.
Help us remember the name of a game!!!!

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
You could, but I doubt they're worth anything even as a set.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Thanks! :hfive:

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
So I'm at a complete loss and don't even know where I should ask this

I have a 1189 × 841 mm poster, and I'm in the US; where the heck can I get a frame for this thing?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What's your budget? Take it to a frame shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Xandu posted:

What's your budget? Take it to a frame shop.

I'm really hoping for ~$100 or less, it's just an eBoy poster I'm looking to get framed. It sucks seeing all the A0 frames on .uk or .au sites and they're only like £25 or £35 =[