Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

The Dark Project posted:

Majority were bought about the time that Rackham went bust. I was working on a mine site then and cash was no problem. Even for the cost of airfreight from France.

The rest I have bought over the years to get as close to a complete collection as I could. Sourced from the US, Spain, France and everywhere in between.

They are all stacked in individual boxes now in brick rows, according to which group they are from. All I need now is some of the harder to find special edition ones and I am done.

Any plans to paint them all up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I am currently getting my Acheron ones sorted out so I can use them in Warhammer Fantasy, so yeah I will be looking to have them painted.

Got a bunch of Black Paladin's to use for Grave Guard, so I am looking forward to putting them together.

As for Wulfen, they are the one group I don't have a majority of in blisters. I bought most of that complete line for about $5 a miniature from a dude who was selling his collection, and they're still sitting in the foam carrying case he put them in for me. Will definitely be using the Wolfen Waning Moon and Waxing Moon as Varghulfs though for my Vampires. Even better when the Mantic Werewolves come out so I can use them a Vargheists.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you have a spare Morzath i'd love you long time (plus pay you).

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The Dark Project posted:

I am currently getting my Acheron ones sorted out so I can use them in Warhammer Fantasy, so yeah I will be looking to have them painted.

Got a bunch of Black Paladin's to use for Grave Guard, so I am looking forward to putting them together.

As for Wulfen, they are the one group I don't have a majority of in blisters. I bought most of that complete line for about $5 a miniature from a dude who was selling his collection, and they're still sitting in the foam carrying case he put them in for me. Will definitely be using the Wolfen Waning Moon and Waxing Moon as Varghulfs though for my Vampires. Even better when the Mantic Werewolves come out so I can use them a Vargheists.

When you say "Have them painted" are talking commissioning them out? Because I know a guy on the forums.

He's really good, I personally burn a brush to an effigy of him every time I start a new project!

Seriously, I am excited for you about this project, however you go about doing it!

If you have a pic of them sorted, you NEED to post it.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I started weathering/rusting/battledamaging my devilfish. I may have overdone it.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
No second on Morzath unfortunately. I'll likely be using him as a cart or the like for my Malifaux Neverborn. I just checked ebay, and dang he's gone up in price.

I'll likely paint most myself, as I can't see the joy in keeping them in the blister. Even if it does make them a little more valuable.

I'll also likely sell off a bunch as I have doubles and triples of ones I don't even really need, and I could do with the cash.

If I get them together to sell, I'll let you guys know. Otherwise, when I have all of the boxes of them in order, I'll lay em out and take a photo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

The Saddest Robot posted:

I started weathering/rusting/battledamaging my devilfish. I may have overdone it.

That's an excellent job of representing heavy rust, but yeah, it looks to me like it's been in a scrapyard for a few years at this point.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

JerryLee posted:

That's an excellent job of representing heavy rust, but yeah, it looks to me like it's been in a scrapyard for a few years at this point.

What are you talking about this thing's previous owner was a little old lady who only used it to go to church and back every Sunday - let me talk to you about our financing programs, this baby is a classic I assure you, you won't find another like this any time soon, what will it take to get you in this devilfish today?

Seriously I don't know how rusty you wanted it to look exactly but in terms of looking like something that is beat to hell it came out outstanding.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The Dark Project posted:

No second on Morzath unfortunately. I'll likely be using him as a cart or the like for my Malifaux Neverborn.

That's exactly what i want him for :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think thats awesome, your tau are obviously just neglectful of their vehicles

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PaintVagrant posted:

I think thats awesome, your tau are obviously just neglectful of their vehicles

Farsight enclave :getin:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Haha, yes, but my god is it well done!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

The Dark Project posted:

Black Paladins are super sweet. If I could ever find a set for less than 40$ I would buy them so fast.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jonny Nox posted:

gently caress.

OFF.

Good advice, you should probably take it.

That or :chillpill:

Edit for content. Work in progress shots. Looks like rear end, will have to tidy up. Color scheme works as a proof of concept, not sure how to shade the armor just yet, don't want to use sepia tones as it'll blend in with the gold.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 7, 2012

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Good advice, you should probably take it.

That or :chillpill:

Yeah.

Sorry.

edit: Yeah, I'm having to keep myself from picking fights with friends today too, I need to take a few days posting vacation. Sorry, again, to dump on you all. (Hope this baby comes soon, stress is killing me!)

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 7, 2012

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Devlan Mud posted:

Farsight enclave :getin:

That was my first thought as well.
(They are the best Tau)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Does anyone have examples of well painted blues? I am having a hard time thinking of an interesting way to work with blue. I don't like the Ultramarine/Cygnar style of blues. They are really bland looking to me. If you just want to post cool looking blue miniatures or artwork I'm down with that.

hit me with blue!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

!amicable posted:

Does anyone have examples of well painted blues? I am having a hard time thinking of an interesting way to work with blue. I don't like the Ultramarine/Cygnar style of blues. They are really bland looking to me. If you just want to post cool looking blue miniatures or artwork I'm down with that.

hit me with blue!

I'm being so meta but also serious.

Note the main blue is neutral between warm and cool, but as it warms up going to purple, it also cools off with a mellow orange in the foreground that has a similar value to the cool cyan.

edit: NOTE IT MOTHERFUCKER! THE PUNS OF CHAOS ARE INNUMERABLE

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I'd like to get a brush on clear coat so my stuff stops chipping. What should I get? Bonus points if it is Amazon Prime eligible.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Most blues look way better if you shade with a warmtone, Ive found. I like meridius + dark brown/reddish browns if you want a really intense blue.

Epic Fear Job
Jun 2, 2007
my other car is a porsche on the moon
Hey guys, I got a new phone with a better (though still far from ideal) camera phone, so I thought I'd share my latest work in progress.

I'm sort of stuck on what to do next as far as the color scheme goes; I think I want to keep the rest of her black, but with highlights (maybe in red?).

Anyway, sorry if the image quality is poor... I still need to make a functional light tent and then I'll feel more confident sharing photos of the rest of my vast goblin army.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sick nasty, dude.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Epic Fear Job posted:

Hey guys, I got a new phone with a better (though still far from ideal) camera phone, so I thought I'd share my latest work in progress.

I'm sort of stuck on what to do next as far as the color scheme goes; I think I want to keep the rest of her black, but with highlights (maybe in red?).

Anyway, sorry if the image quality is poor... I still need to make a functional light tent and then I'll feel more confident sharing photos of the rest of my vast goblin army.

Did you ground-effect LED light your Tarantula?

Edit, no, nvm. I see it's got a shadow. It's just something from a lamp or a window...

*sigh* A riced out tarantula with ground effects and hella flush pincers would be all the way live.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Fit the howdah out as a lowrider.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm being so meta but also serious.

Note the main blue is neutral between warm and cool, but as it warms up going to purple, it also cools off with a mellow orange in the foreground that has a similar value to the cool cyan.

edit: NOTE IT MOTHERFUCKER! THE PUNS OF CHAOS ARE INNUMERABLE

PaintVagrant posted:

Most blues look way better if you shade with a warmtone, Ive found. I like meridius + dark brown/reddish browns if you want a really intense blue.

I dropped in browns for the shading, which usually looks pretty good. I think the issue is that in the past my blues have been very desaturated, so the pretty saturated brown shading makes it pop. Right now the blue ink I used as the base is just overpowering everything.

Maybe giving the base blue a brown wash will bring it down a notch? I also hosed up the yellow pretty hard so I'm going to give that a second shot.

Man, switching to a new color scheme after doing the turquoise and orange over and over is rough. But it's also a lot more fresh and interesting than the same formula ad nauseam.

Epic Fear Job
Jun 2, 2007
my other car is a porsche on the moon

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Did you ground-effect LED light your Tarantula?

Edit, no, nvm. I see it's got a shadow. It's just something from a lamp or a window...

*sigh* A riced out tarantula with ground effects and hella flush pincers would be all the way live.

Haha, I think you're on to something. Maybe I'll put spinners on the spinnerets. :rimshot:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Epic Fear Job posted:

Just highlight the black (I like coal black for this) and then don't change anything else. That spider is AWESOME.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:ussr: :ussr: :ussr: :ussr:

:ussr:

:ussr:

My foot apparently grew a new bone so I left work early, went to the doctor, and came home and painted up some Russians.

The Plastic Soldier Company 15mm guys are insane. They're true-scale and have more more detail on them than on a lot of 28mm guys.

I love them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Here's an interesting one for you, Thread of Hobby. My Forgeworld Great Unclean One is leaking... puss.

Well okay, it isn't puss, but it is a viscous, sticky yellowy-white discharge. It's coming primarily from the bottom of the base, but also seeping out of the top under the GUO's knee. The emanations are centred on where I sank pins through the model.

He was completed two or three years ago and has been sat on a shelf since then. I'd noticed residue over a year ago but didn't twig that it was coming from the model itself.

The components of the model are:
FW Resin GUO.
Bog standard Loctite super glue gel.
Greenstuff.
Styrene rods used as heavy duty pins to hold the model to the base.
A resin base bought from ebay. I think it was polyurethane but I'm not sure.

Any idea on what is actually causing the reaction, and should I go to the considerable faff of removing the base, cleaning out whatever is causing this, and re-basing on a GW oval flying base (that would look better anyway) ?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Nurgle's Rot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All hail Papa Nurgle.

(I don't have any useful ideas but clearly it's a manifestation of His favour.)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here's an interesting one for you, Thread of Hobby. My Forgeworld Great Unclean One is leaking... puss.

Well okay, it isn't puss, but it is a viscous, sticky yellowy-white discharge. Any idea on what is actually causing the reaction, and should I go to the considerable faff of removing the base, cleaning out whatever is causing this, and re-basing on a GW oval flying base (that would look better anyway) ?

Chaos God of Plagues himself telling you he thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread: also known as improperly mixed resin trapped inside bubbles that were likely ruptured when you started drilling holes.

Sadly, your best option would be to go through the faff, clean it out (water and soap, flush it out really well), patch up any holes this process may have caused, then re-base it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Did more work on my 15mm dropship:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Z the IVth posted:

Did more work on my 15mm dropship:

Looking good - do you have any new WIP pictures of the updated Battlesuits, or are you focussing on the dropship?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

I want to quote this forever, although it'd look much better as an Ork-looted Tau vehicle.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
A friend just pointed me at this guy on ebay.

Album of other cool bits here

Spess mahreens. :stare:

He'll probably get shutdown for referencing GW products by name - so, I've already grabbed a load of stuff to make sternguard with.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Those are pretty sweet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, I've saved that seller.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I was super annoyed with how lovely my skorne pics were, so I re-shot the models before I shipped em out to the client. I also edited some pics from a previous commission, a wacky european "Feast" diorama:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So the turkey and bread and all that - did you make it out of greenstuff?

Also looks fantastic, of course.

• Locked thread