Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

We know they're working on Bully 2 as well, due to the composer spilling the beans about it a while back.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That Awful Nick posted:

Avoid the gunplay entirely and kill all enemies with cars. It made GTAIII and GTA Vice City much more playable and even came in handy in San Andreas most of the time. All of the "go do a drive by on these dudes" missions turned into "slam a car into everyone" and I succeeded a lot more of the time than when I tried to do it their way.
I do that whenever possible, but in a lot of missions you're unable to use a vehicle (I don't think you can drive a car inside Diaz' mansion in 'Rub Out' :v:) and just have to deal with the lovely shooting mechanics. At least the sniper rifle works pretty well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TheJoker138 posted:

We know they're working on Bully 2 as well, due to the composer spilling the beans about it a while back.

The Warriors HD port, please. I will post this on every page if I have to!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That tidbit about Bully 2 is from so long ago and has had absolutely zero follow up so I kinda feel like it's not happening.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember an interview where Dan Houser did mention the possibility of a Bully sequel but only after Max Payne 3 came out. So it's probably happening, we just won't hear much about it for quite some time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Himuro posted:

A straight up port wouldn't get me to rebuy since I still have my copy, but if they added 4 player local player or some sort of larger online component I'd rebuy it. I have a history of paying twice for most rockstar games anyway.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

That Awful Nick posted:

Avoid the gunplay entirely and kill all enemies with cars. It made GTAIII and GTA Vice City much more playable and even came in handy in San Andreas most of the time. All of the "go do a drive by on these dudes" missions turned into "slam a car into everyone" and I succeeded a lot more of the time than when I tried to do it their way.

Are you talking about the PC or console versions? Combat is fine on the PC, since you can freelook with the mouse and aim with it. Getting through the combat-focused missions (like the one where you need to save Vance) aren't that hard on the PC. I've heard combat on the consoles is an absolute nightmare, tho.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't think the controls ever stood in my way of finishing the GTA games on consoles, but given the choice, I'd rather play them on PC any day. There's so much more customization that can be done with the PC versions that it's kind of pointless to go back to the console versions after you've played those. If you're playing them on consoles because you want them to be on your TV, just hook up your computer to display on your TV.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm replaying GTA3 on PC (again)! I've got a bit of a meatier one now so it's open season for mods.

Here's a screenshot of it maxed out on my laptop 2 years ago.

Not ugly to someone who spent most of their youth on a PS1, but here it is after mods for 1080p, Xbox textures, subtle reflections (none of this 'everything-is-mirrors' poo poo), a draw distance mod and some AA and AF from Catalyst Control Centre.

Open in another tab for HD glory.

I love modding classic games :)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

closeted republican posted:

Are you talking about the PC or console versions? Combat is fine on the PC, since you can freelook with the mouse and aim with it. Getting through the combat-focused missions (like the one where you need to save Vance) aren't that hard on the PC. I've heard combat on the consoles is an absolute nightmare, tho.

I always found shooting in the console versions to be a bit easy, since you can use the auto-aim and then aim up slightly for easy headshots. But then I found the free-aim missions (like the first Zero mission, or the "throw boxes from the train" mission in San Andreas) almost impossibly hard because free-aiming sucks balls with joysticks.

Overall I find M&KB much easier - gunfights are slightly more challenging, but free-aiming is so much better. And I guess you don't have those infuriating moments when the auto-aim locks on to a guy 50m away, rather than the dude next you with a shotgun :v:

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before with that viral site that was up, I just wanted to post this picture for posterity.

Look at that URL. They aren't even trying to hide it's them. :effort:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Green Puddin posted:

I'm not sure if this was mentioned before with that viral site that was up, I just wanted to post this picture for posterity.

Look at that URL. They aren't even trying to hide it's them. :effort:

That's because this was a San Andreas viral site.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Really? Well I'm retarded, carry on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The aiming is fine on the PC, the problem is that guys won't die when I'm shooting them in the chest and it looks like the bullets just pass through them. Getting better weapons helps a bit, though.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

I'm replaying GTA3 on PC (again)! I've got a bit of a meatier one now so it's open season for mods.

Here's a screenshot of it maxed out on my laptop 2 years ago.

Not ugly to someone who spent most of their youth on a PS1, but here it is after mods for 1080p, Xbox textures, subtle reflections (none of this 'everything-is-mirrors' poo poo), a draw distance mod and some AA and AF from Catalyst Control Centre.

Open in another tab for HD glory.

I love modding classic games :)

What mods did you use?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

DangerKat posted:

What mods did you use?

I agree with the asking of this question. I have an original copy of GTAIII on CD and I've been feeling kinda misty-eyed for it. A comprehensive list of which mods you used would be very, very appreciated.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

That Awful Nick posted:

Drive-bys in those games seem to have some sort of auto-aim and just mows people down effortlessly, I remember using it as often as I can. I've just started GTA3 on PC and haven't gotten that far yet but it has to be similiar.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Most weapons in GTA3 suck because the bullets don't go to the center of the crosshair. They go kind of diagonally so it depends on the target distance, but you can just watch the bullet trails and adjust your aim.

I wish I could get Vice City to work on my system. The mouse sensitivity is way too high, and the in-game option only changes the horizontal sensitivity so it's still crazy-sensitive on the y-axis.

cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Has anyone here had any luck modding GTA4? I've tried a few car packs but all seem to break the spawn rate (traffic almost entirely consistes of taxis). I tried using a traffic fix but it tanks my framerate.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

wa27 posted:

Most weapons in GTA3 suck because the bullets don't go to the center of the crosshair. They go kind of diagonally so it depends on the target distance, but you can just watch the bullet trails and adjust your aim.

I've encountered this in III and Vice City, and it only seems to happen if you're running the game in a widescreen resolution and have the widescreen option turned on in the graphics settings. If you run it at a 4:3 resolution, or just turn widescreen off, the bullets go where they're supposed to.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

moms pubis posted:

I've encountered this in III and Vice City, and it only seems to happen if you're running the game in a widescreen resolution and have the widescreen option turned on in the graphics settings. If you run it at a 4:3 resolution, or just turn widescreen off, the bullets go where they're supposed to.
That would explain why I'm not hitting anything. Time to drop the resolution to 1024x768, I guess.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

davebo posted:

A straight up port wouldn't get me to rebuy since I still have my copy, but if they added 4 player local player or some sort of larger online component I'd rebuy it. I have a history of paying twice for most rockstar games anyway.

I have it on Xbox and it's not bc on 360. :(

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

davebo posted:

32 vs 32 online rumbles. That is my dream for The Warriors.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing that I found most of a letdown in the pc version was my inability to type in cheat codes really quickly. Half the fun was running away from cops or other wackyness and typing in cheat codes really fast to survive and continue with your slaughter. Also doing coop and sporting an infinite ammo spas in the passenger seat is probably the most fun you'll ever get out of a console gta :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

That would explain why I'm not hitting anything. Time to drop the resolution to 1024x768, I guess.

Just turn off the widescreen option. I'm running Vice City in 1920x1080 without the widescreen option and it looks fine. Widescreen is nice, but not at the cost of making at least a fourth of the game a complete bitch to do. :v:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

bef posted:

The thing that I found most of a letdown in the pc version was my inability to type in cheat codes really quickly. Half the fun was running away from cops or other wackyness and typing in cheat codes really fast to survive and continue with your slaughter. Also doing coop and sporting an infinite ammo spas in the passenger seat is probably the most fun you'll ever get out of a console gta :v:

You could solve the first problem and even more cheating related issues than a console can with a trainer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Just turn off the widescreen option. I'm running Vice City in 1920x1080 without the widescreen option and it looks fine. Widescreen is nice, but not at the cost of making at least a fourth of the game a complete bitch to do. :v:

I'm confused. What happens if you run a game at a 16:9 aspect ratio but the Widescreen option is off? I don't think I've played Vice city since 16:10 monitors came out and san andreas worked fine, so I'm having trouble imagining. if it's running at 1920x1080, isn't it already widescreen? What does the option do?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

davebo posted:

I'm confused. What happens if you run a game at a 16:9 aspect ratio but the Widescreen option is off? I don't think I've played Vice city since 16:10 monitors came out and san andreas worked fine, so I'm having trouble imagining. if it's running at 1920x1080, isn't it already widescreen? What does the option do?

It stretches a 4x3 image to 16x9.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Times a loving million. Im more excited for that than any other game now

Himuro posted:

Except if they remade this

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
For pretty GTA3, I used the 10x distance mod.

There was the widescreen fix (second post). 16:9 is Field of View (FOV): 16 and Height Stretch: 1.777, just extract and leave running while the game is going. It actually fixes the 'bullets not going where the crosshair points' thing.

Xbox texture mod is fairly easy to do. When installing it tried to put all the textures into a folder called 'GTA3' but it won't be that on Steam so it might be worth entering the GTA3 directory manually. It also includes the reflection/lighting mod which can be diabled/enabled with Shift+F12. It'll be obvious if working as it changes all the menus.

For AS and AF I just used Catalyst Control Centre, I assume there's a thing for nVidia that'll do the same.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A couple of years ago there was a mod for GTA IV called "ingame trainer" that allowed you - amongst other things - to change up Niko's character model on the fly with any other character from the game, as well as use clothing/costumes that were usually only available to pedestrians.

It doesn't seem to have been updated, and I can't for the life of me get what appears to be the most popular trainer (simple native trainer) to work with the most recent patched up version of GTA IV (and Episodes from Liberty City) - I followed all the instructions, loaded the game up and while the game runs fine, the trainer doesn't seem to there. Is there a simple trainer/mod that lets you pick and play as different characters through the single player game/end of game sandbox mode?

Edit: Nevermind, turns out I installed the latest GTAIV patch wrong and was loading the old launcher, the trainer works fine.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 9, 2012

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Does GTA IV keep track of and react when you fail a mission multiple times in a row? I ask because I tried (and failed) "Waste Not Want Knots" three times last night. It's the mission where you have to get a 4-door car, get Packie and his two brothers, and spend several minutes driving to a warehouse. The first two times, the brothers in the car had different dialogue (the first time they were talking about how they all love to talk about their family's past, the second time they were talking about how the reason they're even doing these jobs is to help pay off another McCreary's gambling debts). Then the third time, as soon as we got in, Packie said "Boys, let's just listen to the radio for this journey" and none of them said a thing the entire drive over.

Having to sit through the same pre-mission dialogue and cutscenes over and over only adds to the frustration level when you're stuck on a mission (in any game), it seems like Rockstar may have done something about it?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Yeah, it does do that. Also I think if you fail twice in a row, Niko starts getting pissed every time after that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

webmeister posted:

I think we'll see Agent eventually, but probably not for a while yet. It seems like another LA Noire-style fiasco where the deadline just keeps getting pushed further and further back.

I'm not sure -- Take-Two's chairman dodged a question about Agent when he was asked during their recent earnings call. In any event, it was originally in development at Rockstar North, but you have to imagine that all of North's resources are dedicated to GTAV at this point, so unless it's been shifted to somewhere like Rockstar Toronto (which I believe is assimilating some of the staff from Vancouver), it'll be a long time before we hear anything about it.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I hope V has the same mission checkpoint system as Episodes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not trying to start a huge GTA vs Saints Row derail again, but I've been playing through SR3 for the first time over the last couple of weeks and drat, there's an awful lot of stuff in here that absolutely needs to be in the next GTA game.

Stuff like triggering missions, side-quests and challenges from your phone, not by driving across the map to a marker. Being able to play the entire game as solo or in co-op. Bringing back some of the RPG-lite elements of upgrading your character, though not to the extent of being invincible like in SR3. Having notoriety with rival gangs in addition to with the police. Having the GPS directions show up on the actual road where you can see them, rather than only on the map with a verbal cue.

There's a few other things that I can't think of right now, but honestly I think Rockstar have their work cut out for them. Hopefully the increased competition encourages them to knock GTAV out of the park!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I much preferred GTA's system of icons on a map than Saint's Row's of not knowing where a mission would actually start so you have to just jump in and pray that the location is nearby wherever you currently are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the major difference is that Saints Row is a silly game made to gently caress around in that they tacked a story onto. GTAIV was a serious story they made and then tacked on silly things to gently caress around with. GTA (3d era) has always been a serious story with wacky elements thrown in. Would be nice if there was some co-op in V, but throwing in a new person all of a sudden might mess up their story. Perhaps they could have a bit character that is all "if you need any help, just let me know." Then you could have a friend play that character.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Simon Draskovic posted:

Does GTA IV keep track of and react when you fail a mission multiple times in a row? I ask because I tried (and failed) "Waste Not Want Knots" three times last night. It's the mission where you have to get a 4-door car, get Packie and his two brothers, and spend several minutes driving to a warehouse. The first two times, the brothers in the car had different dialogue (the first time they were talking about how they all love to talk about their family's past, the second time they were talking about how the reason they're even doing these jobs is to help pay off another McCreary's gambling debts). Then the third time, as soon as we got in, Packie said "Boys, let's just listen to the radio for this journey" and none of them said a thing the entire drive over.

Having to sit through the same pre-mission dialogue and cutscenes over and over only adds to the frustration level when you're stuck on a mission (in any game), it seems like Rockstar may have done something about it?

I haven't failed missions often up until lately, especially when they're centered around driving. But this totally blew my mind too. I only know of a few games that did this and even then the execution was minimal. But I got a significantly different set of lines when I restarted a mission and I was blown away. I really hope they keep this up in V because it's one great touch.

Cojawfee posted:

I think the major difference is that Saints Row is a silly game made to gently caress around in that they tacked a story onto. GTAIV was a serious story they made and then tacked on silly things to gently caress around with. GTA (3d era) has always been a serious story with wacky elements thrown in. Would be nice if there was some co-op in V, but throwing in a new person all of a sudden might mess up their story. Perhaps they could have a bit character that is all "if you need any help, just let me know." Then you could have a friend play that character.

Yeah pretty much my feelings exactly. I do thoroughly enjoy both games as they both fulfill specific itches and desires. While they're similar in setting and premise they're still far to different to compare. And even then why fight if you can have both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

I think the major difference is that Saints Row is a silly game made to gently caress around in that they tacked a story onto. GTAIV was a serious story they made and then tacked on silly things to gently caress around with.

Except the Saint's Row cities have never been much fun to just gently caress around in, while "the city is fun to gently caress around in when you're not doing the story" is the core feature of every GTA game since the very first. The story in every GTA game is very much the part that's been tacked on, and hell I usually skip as much of the actual story stuff like cutscenes and poo poo as I can whenever I do a first playthrough.

• Locked thread