Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
It kinda sucks how physical skills suck in most of the SMT games, barring Nocturne and more recent titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Since it's release day here in North America, here's a reminder that there's a Persona 4: Arena thread. There are some people really into fighters there, if you have any questions about mechanics or whatnot.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I am ok with this. :allears:

Edit: Hahaha, oh gosh, Gotou is voice acted too. I hope he has the same ridiculous booming effect he has on the drama cds.

Edit 2: Sorry, to clarify, this is new material added into Soul Hackers 3DS. Specifically, boss battles against Kuzunoha Raidou and the Parallel Universe Kuzunoha Raido (and if you look real close, the final boss of Raidou versus The Soulless Army is there too). I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 8, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raidou it's been three years, I've missed you. I can't wait for this game already, YES.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Is that SMT4 or...?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Since it's release day here in North America, here's a reminder that there's a Persona 4: Arena thread. There are some people really into fighters there, if you have any questions about mechanics or whatnot.

Forget a "Punch Yosuke" button, this is a "Punch Yosuke" simulator. :allears:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

P4A is sweet as hell but god drat it's the talkiest fighting game I've ever played. This is a dumb question and I almost regret asking it but is it meant to be canon? On the one hand, the new character screams "hi we shoved Nu into Persona, hope you like it", but on the other hand I like the idea of the characters all getting crazy-stupid subtitles and jumping into the TV to punch Teddie until he cuts it out.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Ryoshi posted:

P4A is sweet as hell but god drat it's the talkiest fighting game I've ever played. This is a dumb question and I almost regret asking it but is it meant to be canon? On the one hand, the new character screams "hi we shoved Nu into Persona, hope you like it", but on the other hand I like the idea of the characters all getting crazy-stupid subtitles and jumping into the TV to punch Teddie until he cuts it out.

It's definitely a sequel, ties in the events of P3 as well. If anything though Yukiko plays more like Nu.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TurnipFritter posted:

I didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up.

You'd have to think the Raidou DS games are next in line for getting portable ports. Which I'd welcome having played neither.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't assume it was a new Raidou game, I'm just happy to see he's still getting some love. Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon was a great game and the first one isn't as good, but I still enjoyed it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's definitely a sequel, ties in the events of P3 as well. If anything though Yukiko plays more like Nu.

I haven't honestly tried Yukiko or Lambrys out yet, I just meant "secret robot girl ultra-weapon". She's got a sort of similar aesthetic.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Famitsu also has more non-news about Persona 5:

quote:

Team Persona's Katsura Hashino says that his staff is currently focused on the next numbered entry in the Persona series (that means Persona 5). Shigenori Soejima has submitted sketches, and the game is making progress. Separately from P5, Hashino says that he's working on a collaborative project that will surprise everyone, but the announcement for this is a ways off.

I can't imagine the ~mystery title~ being more surprising than Persona 4 Arena.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's going to be a fighting game featuring separate characters from other MegaTen games! You thought P3 and P4 were it? HAHA, wait til you see Raidou Kuzunoha take on the Demi-Fiend in fighting game mode! Seriously though if it's a collaborative project then I couldn't imagine anything really beyond another fighting game or maybe a crossover RPG.

Super MegaTen Wars, I guess? Still, it's nice to hear they're finally focused on P5, hopefully we'll get a lot at a main character and persona design before the end of the year.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's going to be a fighting game featuring separate characters from other MegaTen games! You thought P3 and P4 were it? HAHA, wait til you see Raidou Kuzunoha take on the Demi-Fiend in fighting game mode! Seriously though if it's a collaborative project then I couldn't imagine anything really beyond another fighting game or maybe a crossover RPG.

I want this so loving bad. Every single time someone mentions other Megaten dudes in P4 Arena, my mind instantly races to Raidou and Demi Fiend. Raidou is so loving cool!

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
(Persona 4 Arena Ending Spoilers)

With the possible return of Nyarlathotep, and the cliffhanger ending of Persona 4 Arena, Persona 5 might end up being the game that ties all the Persona's together. Holy crap. :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I want this so loving bad. Every single time someone mentions other Megaten dudes in P4 Arena, my mind instantly races to Raidou and Demi Fiend. Raidou is so loving cool!

:unsmith: A man can dream.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Magikoopa189 posted:

With the possible return of Nyarlathotep, and the cliffhanger ending of Persona 4 Arena, Persona 5 might end up being the game that ties all the Persona's together. Holy crap. :allears:

This just sounds like it could become one giant mess of a clusterfuck in the story and while I welcome that if it's highly entertaining, I like to think Atlus cares a little bit more about their universe than to do something that big.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Magikoopa189 posted:

This seriously sounds like the dumbest thing and the leadup to even worse ideas later. Crisis On Infinite Post-Apocalyptic Devil-Earths.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Magikoopa189 posted:

Please have P5 have nothing at all to do with P3 and P4 and to bring back the big guy himself messing around.

And also have Satomi Tadashi writing. :smithicide:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Magikoopa189 posted:

The P4A ending is probably just setting up a P4A expansion/sequel, not P5, I think. We're all going to Port Island! is a pretty transparent lead-in to adding some more P3 fighters. Hoping for drunken boxing Junpei, old Koro, and gross puberty Ken at the very least.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Super MegaTen Wars, I guess?

I would pay so much good cash money for this, I don't even know what the gently caress. FUND IT.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

This seriously sounds like the dumbest thing and the leadup to even worse ideas later. Crisis On Infinite Post-Apocalyptic Devil-Earths.

Seriously. Side games like P4A usually have absolutely no influence on plot of main games and if we're lucky this game won't be the one to break that trend. Every persona and persona user from every Persona game coming in for a HUGE party to fight a bad guy is something I'd expect from a crappy fanfic, not an actual main Persona game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Any news (even if its non news) on Persona 5 will get me excited. I just hope it comes out on the 360, because if not I guess I'll have to purchase a PS triple.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

PonchAxis posted:

Any news (even if its non news) on Persona 5 will get me excited. I just hope it comes out on the 360, because if not I guess I'll have to purchase a PS triple.

The next bombshell announcement: P5 is real, and it's a Wii U exclusive. :shepface:

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Artix74 posted:

The next bombshell announcement: P5 is real, and it's a Wii U exclusive. :shepface:

I would guess 3DS simply because of units sold/Japan. But yeah, WiiU would be about right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They've already said P4A is canon, haven't they?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

Seriously. Side games like P4A usually have absolutely no influence on plot of main games and if we're lucky this game won't be the one to break that trend. Every persona and persona user from every Persona game coming in for a HUGE party to fight a bad guy is something I'd expect from a crappy fanfic, not an actual main Persona game.

Really? This would bother you? I mean, this is sort of what SMT games are anyways - if you don't have all the coolest badasses from your favorite mythologies in your party by the end game you are Doing It Wrong. Don't get me wrong, I understand the sentiment, but it seems funny that you'd apply it to Persona.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Except there's a pretty clear difference between SMT games sharing demon-Pokemon names/designs and having a big crossover between the actual SMT characters that affect the plot and have personalities. I mean, obviously it's less of a deal with a silly fighting side-game but that kinda stuff should stay silly side-games.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

As long as the characters from the other games remain in the background, and leave most of the actual game to the proper cast, there's no reason a plotline trying to unify them all would end up being too cheesy.

I mean I'm all for Super Megaten Wars but I can understand why others wouldn't.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I honestly don't see the issue with it either. The games have always had some common continuity; 1/2 and 3/4 already did this sort of connected universe stuff, and keeping that going doesn't require some Ultimate Showdown where all the playable characters from every previous game will be playable in 5. It can still be a new game with a new cast and a new mythological focus that happens to create a stronger united fiction, is clearly set in the same world, and reuses some themes/characters/plot elements.

And I'm kind of unsure how P4A is inherently any more or less "silly" than half of what happens in Persona 3 and 4 as-is. It is a direct sequel to a game with a dungeon called the Bad, Bad Bathhouse where a flaming campy gay stereotype attacks you with a pair of giant male symbols. You can convey serious using silly scenes and events and dialogue, a thing which P3 and P4 did quite a bit.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 9, 2012

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

By silly I meant more the existence of the game itself, not what's actually in it. Tell someone 2 or 3 years ago that they'd be making a Persona fighting game and it'd raise some eyebrows.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, after P3:FES and P4A (as well as base P4, I guess, with what that secret second playthrough boss says) They've strung along (Persona 3 spoilers) Elizabeth's quest to free Minato's soul from the door enough that they probably have to address it at some point. Maybe defeating Nyarly in Persona 5 will do it?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cityinthesea posted:

I mean, after P3:FES and P4A (as well as base P4, I guess, with what that secret second playthrough boss says) They've strung along (Persona 3 spoilers) Elizabeth's quest to free Minato's soul from the door enough that they probably have to address it at some point. Maybe defeating Nyarly in Persona 5 will do it?

That's what the P4A expansion will be about. New character packs!

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
The first thing I want confirmed about Persona 5 is whether or not Lotus Juice be participating with the soundtrack.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Endorph posted:

They've already said P4A is canon, haven't they?

Where have they said this, though? I mean, I don't care if it is canon or not, so far for me it's an enjoyable game and really well done but people keep saying this and I've never seen an official source saying so. Likewise, I've seen the opposite claimed. It'd be nice if someone could actually find where canon/not canon was confirmed and then it'd clear the mystery up for all.

Personally my only issue so far with P4A being canon or not is I don't like the idea of the P4 MC having a canon name, especially an awful name like that one.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Katsudon posted:

Where have they said this, though? I mean, I don't care if it is canon or not, so far for me it's an enjoyable game and really well done but people keep saying this and I've never seen an official source saying so. Likewise, I've seen the opposite claimed. It'd be nice if someone could actually find where canon/not canon was confirmed and then it'd clear the mystery up for all.

From what I remember, the new epilogue to Golden sort of references its existence by saying that something troublesome happened between when the protagonist first left Inaba and the epilogue.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So about Elizabeth and P4A, she's trying to get the P3 protagonist freed, right? But the entire point of the Answer was that he needs to stay there, wasn't it? It seems pretty insulting to try and force someone back to life after something like that, especially when it means the end of the world.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

jonjonaug posted:

From what I remember, the new epilogue to Golden sort of references its existence by saying that something troublesome happened between when the protagonist first left Inaba and the epilogue.

Ahahaha welp. Looking pretty canon there, yeah. (still gonna pretend he only had a name for the sake of conveniency though)

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

So about Elizabeth and P4A, she's trying to get the P3 protagonist freed, right? But the entire point of the Answer was that he needs to stay there, wasn't it? It seems pretty insulting to try and force someone back to life after something like that, especially when it means the end of the world.

She's looking for a way to free him while still maintaining the whole seal on Nyx or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Kanji is the best character. :allears: Never has beating the poo poo out of Yosuke been so satisfying.

All things considered, they really went all out with the whole Story Mode. I've been at this 6-7 hours now and I still have 5 stories to go (Naoto, Aigis, Labrys, Elizabeth, Shadow Labrys (do we need to spoiler that?)), and that's all before you unlock the ability to get the real endings to everyone's stories. If more fighters gave me a 20 hour story mode to get through, I might play more of them. It certainly worked for Soul Calibur 2 and 3.