Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Yes, this:

The series relates an alternate history of the earth after World War II. In 1946 an alien virus that rewrites human DNA is accidentally unleashed in the skies over New York City. It kills 90% of those who come into contact with it (referred to as 'drawing the Black Queen'). However, 9% mutate into deformed creatures (known as 'Jokers') and the remaining 1% gain superpowers (known as 'Aces'). A percentage of the Aces are referred to as 'Deuces'. Deuces have acquired useless or ridiculous powers, such as the ability to levitate up to two feet, or to grow body hair at will. The airborne virus eventually spreads all over the world, affecting tens of thousands.
The Wild Cards universe is distinguished from most superhero comic book fiction by several thematic elements. Early on the authors decided to pursue a more realistic, or naturalistic approach to storytelling. Few of the Ace characters in Wild Cards have secret identities, or are traditional crime-fighting superheroes in the mold of Spider-Man or Batman. Wild Cards remained set within a recognizably real world with recognizably real people and pop culture and, because of the historical setting of many of the stories, had characters who aged realistically during the course of the series. The majority of Wild Card victims live in the run-down ghetto of Jokertown, while the fortunate Aces become glamorous celebrities. In addition, Wild Cards took a more graphic approach to violence, and particularly to sex, than most superhero stories do.
Another aspect of the series is its use of real people, such as Buddy Holly, Grace Kelly and Richard Nixon. Unlike most superhero universes, the events of Wild Cards alter history in many ways - a notable example being Fidel Castro remaining in New York to play baseball, and the lack of a Communist takeover in Cuba thereafter. As of 1986, Castro was the pitching coach for the Brooklyn Dodgers, who never moved to Los Angeles, and still play at Ebbets Field. Thus, L.A, not New York, got an expansion team called the Stars after the Giants moved to Minnesota in lieu of San Francisco. In the Wild Cards universe, the Dodgers are the equivalent of the New York Mets, with their history after the 1950s coinciding with the Mets' history, including victory in the 1969 World Series over the Baltimore Orioles. The Los Angeles Stars are the equivalent of the real Dodgers.
Other notable changes: Mick Jagger is a lycanthropic ace. Frank Zappa has a son, Frank Zappa, Jr., who becomes a general in the U.S. Army and eventually Vice President. Buddy Holly does not die in a plane crash but instead winds up covering Prince and Billy Idol in dingy venues before discovering his ace super powers during a come-back concert. The House Un-American Activities Committee blacklists aces instead of entertainment industry workers. Thomas Marion Douglas (an analogue of Jim Morrison), lead singer for the rock group Destiny, was an ace called the Lizard King and dies not of a drug overdose in France but rather from a dose of the experimental trump virus which cures him and removes his immunity to many years of drug abuse. The botched Iranian hostage rescue of the Jimmy Carter administration is bungled by a team of aces (including Popinjay and Carnifex) rather than the U.S. military (and was later proven to be part of a conspiracy to prevent Carter's re-election due to his pro-wild card stance). President George H. W. Bush promises "no new exotics (a politically correct term for wild carders) laws" rather than "no new taxes," but still goes back on his word.
[edit]

Is so much better.

Also there's literally a character nicknamed "Shad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

quote:

the Brooklyn Dodgers, who never moved to Los Angeles, and still play at Ebbets Field. Thus, L.A, not New York, got an expansion team called the Stars after the Giants moved to Minnesota in lieu of San Francisco. In the Wild Cards universe, the Dodgers are the equivalent of the New York Mets, with their history after the 1950s coinciding with the Mets' history, including victory in the 1969 World Series over the Baltimore Orioles. The Los Angeles Stars are the equivalent of the real Dodgers.

This is the stupidest thing. General Zappa? Buddy Holly doing covers of White Wedding? No, this. This Harry Turtledove alterate sports history bullshit.

Apparently the WILDCARDS Virus is enough to change what loving sports teams go where, but all the presidents are the same? Jesus on the cross.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
That sounds spectacularly bad.

Like 50 Shades bad.

I may need to read this. :staredog:

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

When I knew nothing, I tried to read one of the Wild Cards books. Holy poo poo what a waste of time.

The one I read was about a super hero reality show that was essentially Big Brother with Wild Cards. They hung out in a house and boned and went to Egypt and also there was a guy that turned into a lion that shot lasers or something? Also GRRM's character that was the hero of his chapters was a fat nerd that turned into a super bad rear end magical knight that rode on a motorcycle and was clearly a self-insert power trip character.

I can't believe Roger Zelazny's good name is sullied by being associated with this poo poo.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Apparently the WILDCARDS Virus is enough to change what loving sports teams go where, but all the presidents are the same? Jesus on the cross.

Never mind that, there's a virus that kills 90% of the people who come in contact with it, and it's spread over the entire loving planet, but instead of The Stand fanfiction those books are just alt history + superpowers.

WILDCARDS

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I can't believe I remember this much about it, but the virus was only released over New York City, with all other releases being experiments or far smaller.

The (I poo poo you not) Great And Powerful Turtle is a superspecialawesome telekinetic, but he's severely agoraphobic, so he's useless outside of his VW Beetle or bus, forget which. REALISM!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

whowhatwhere posted:

I can't believe I remember this much about it, but the virus was only released over New York City, with all other releases being experiments or far smaller.

The (I poo poo you not) Great And Powerful Turtle is a superspecialawesome telekinetic, but he's severely agoraphobic, so he's useless outside of his VW Beetle or bus, forget which. REALISM!

And he has a raging case of shitdick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ambiguatron posted:

Yes, this:

Is so much better.

Also there's literally a character nicknamed "Shad".

They are literally writing themselves as the 1%. :allears:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

IRQ posted:

They are literally writing themselves as the 1%. :allears:

Hahah, I was just wondering how many card related puns you could put into a couple paragraphs. And now I know.

And all that stuff about it being more adult than superhero comics because its violent and REAL is beautiful on its own, but when it is then followed by this

quote:

Other notable changes: Mick Jagger is a lycanthropic ace.

is just breath-taking. It's too good to be not be an on purpose joke. Like SNL couldn't be witty enough for this poo poo.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Shageletic posted:

Hahah, I was just wondering how many card related puns you could put into a couple paragraphs. And now I know.

And all that stuff about it being more adult than superhero comics because its violent and REAL is beautiful on its own, but when it is then followed by this

is just breath-taking. It's too good to be not be an on purpose joke. Like SNL couldn't be witty enough for this poo poo.

Wow the first time around I read that as "philanthropic ace", because the idea of werewolf Mick Jagger is just too loving absurd for my brain to process. Wowie.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It could have been worse. It could have been Warren Zevon, Lycanthropic Ace.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Martin Van Buren posted:

Wow the first time around I read that as "philanthropic ace", because the idea of werewolf Mick Jagger is just too loving absurd for my brain to process. Wowie.

All the Stones turn into classic movie monsters! Except Keith Richards. Or if he did, no one noticed the difference.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

whowhatwhere posted:

It could have been worse. It could have been Warren Zevon, Lycanthropic Ace.

I saw a wereGRRM drinking a pina colada at Trader Shitdick's.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
@GiantofLannister wanted for murdering nephew and father, fleeing the continent! #yollo

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't that Tyrion's fake name in ADWD?

v Whoops :downs:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 7, 2012

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
:thejoke:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Martin Van Buren posted:

I saw a wereGRRM drinking a pina colada at Trader Shitdick's.

His neckbeard was perfect.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whoflungpoop posted:

NOP!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whoflungpoop posted:

I'm trying to figure out how a weregurm would even have a neckbeard considering a weregurm's fur is all neckbeard all the time. And that's a mental image I'd like to apply bleach to...

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Neckbeards piled on neckbeards until a flowing, biblical neckbeard is apparent.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

IRQ posted:

I'm trying to figure out how a weregurm would even have a neckbeard considering a weregurm's fur is all neckbeard all the time. And that's a mental image I'd like to apply bleach to...

The idea is that a normal unfortunate person gets bitten / scratched by the gurm's cheeto-y talons, and every time there's a special at Domino's he himself transforms into the vile beast and creepily giggles at the moon.

Huh, I'd like to meet his editor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think they edit Gurm's word vomit these days, they just run it through a spellchecker and print it ASAFP because he takes forever to write anything.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I'd hate to be his so called editor, looking at the manuscript archaic word processing document on dot matrix printing paper that took six years to squeeze out, trying to decide if it's worth it to see if he can actually make revisions to it before he dies of baconosis of the organs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Every time Gurm finishes writing something an army of interns spends 2 weeks folding and tearing off those paper track things from the manuscript. :smith:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Every time Gurm finishes writing something an army of interns spends 2 weeks folding and tearing off those paper track things from the manuscript. :smith:
How could you ignore Not a Blog?

Also

Gyshall posted:

If I like the SOIAF books, what other books should I check out? I finished ADWD a few weeks ago and have desperately needed something to read whilst pooping.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

On September 9, 2012, the paper track things fought back. *massive explosion*

I'm so sad that "In a world..." trailer guy is dead. :smith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I don't think they edit Gurm's word vomit these days, they just run it through a spellchecker and print it ASAFP because he takes forever to write anything.

A Song of rear end and Fire Poops.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Is it out yet?

edit: Hmm no I see he says it will be maybe another two years.

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 8, 2012

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

Well the editor does cut out any climaxes to the major storylines that Gurms written so they can put them in the "next book" . I think it's a great decision, as it adds tremendously to the whole futile feeling you get after slogging through the six years-awaited ADWD.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I just started reading Dune for the first time. Devoured it and got through both it and Dune Messiah in a week. I went to the used book store to pick up the next two, and saw the much-maligned sequels written by Frank's son and Kevin J. Anderson. I literally had only to see the titles and drawings on the spines of the hardcovers to know these were some sub-Wildcards works of literary brilliance.

That is to say, if the gyrm dies the series should be left unfinished. Other people finishing series always end up being a giant poo poo all over the author's grave, or some barely organized anthologies of notes like Christopher Tolkien's 75 pounds of middle-earth literature.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
GRRM stating that Howland Reed wasn't present at the Tower of Joy is an interesting twist. I guess he's no longer a huge Deus Ex Machina anymore.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Wait he what? What? Then how did he save Ned's life against Arthur Dayne?

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

whowhatwhere posted:

Ned Stark transformed into the legendary Super Saiyan.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Howland Reed was super warging from the Crag while taking a warm bath and making Jojens. He would later show up at the Tower of Joy to pick up Ned, who sat beside Lyanna's dead body for roughly three weeks.

(The only thing worse than Secret Targ theories are Secret Warg theories)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Azure_Horizon posted:

GRRM stating that Howland Reed wasn't present at the Tower of Joy is an interesting twist. I guess he's no longer a huge Deus Ex Machina anymore.

This is a little misleading. The interview I'm reading states (emphasis mine): "Did Howland Reed stand witness to the promise Ned made to Lyanna?" To which GURM answers "no". That suggests to me that he was at the Tower of Joy but let his friend and liege lord have some alone time with his dying sister, which, y'know, makes sense. Doesn't stop Howland Reed from understanding what happened, even if Ned didn't tell him explicitly. Remember that they presumably left the Tower together with the wee baby Jon.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That is to say, if the gyrm dies the series should be left unfinished. Other people finishing series always end up being a giant poo poo all over the author's grave, or some barely organized anthologies of notes like Christopher Tolkien's 75 pounds of middle-earth literature.

The Dune sequels are just that, sequels, not finishing a planned story. I don't read Wheel of Time but by all accounts the posthumous continuation is considerably better than any of the later books in the series actually written by Jordan.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Rape Jake. posted:

Ned Stark transformed into the legendary Super Saiyan.

:ssj:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

whowhatwhere posted:

Arthur Dayne wasn't there either. It was just Ros.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Of course! Jon's mother... is ROS! Ned is a pedophile, that's the secret Howland Reed is carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fatkraken posted:

The Dune sequels are just that, sequels, not finishing a planned story. I don't read Wheel of Time but by all accounts the posthumous continuation is considerably better than any of the later books in the series actually written by Jordan.

Yes, both of the books Brandon Sanderson has written so far are among the best in the series.

That's not to say they wouldn't have been as good or better if Jordan wrote them (he wanted to make it one giant 2000-page book if I recall, rather than three like Sanderson is doing), but they are still very good.