Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Maple Leaf posted:

Holy poo poo, Kazerad.

Jesus christ I want to empty quote this forever.

Crazy javascript/CSS witchcraft, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is rad as hell.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Note the shape of little Katia's shadow :tinfoil:

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Wow, that update was awesome! Definitely an awesome achievement.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh come now Kazerad, now you're just showing off! But seriously, this is amazing.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Man alive, you and Ch'marr have outdone yourselves, Kaz. :golfclap:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Kuros posted:

Hey, I saw this comic mentioned in the general webcomics thread and it piqued my interest so I checked it out yesterday.

Ended up marathoning the whole comic.

I'm really enjoying the comic, the style fits well with the story, the characters are cutesy but not so much so and they are very expressive.

I'm enjoying the comic. :)

Thank you! I always like hearing the reactions of new readers.

And thanks everyone else! Glad to know you all still loving love stairs!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Holy poo poo. This is literally the best application of infinite canvas I've seen in a webcomic in just about ever.

:frogon:
Thanks! The dream sequences in general have been a sort of fun excuse to experiment with this stuff. In the last one I was still publishing on the MSPA forums, and as such bound by the limits of VBulletin. Now that I'm on my own site I really want to take advantage of the new freedom that allows.

Of course, I owe Ch'marr a lot of credit here too. This basically all started out with me asking him "Can you make it so I can draw stuff outside the post wrapper? I think that will really blow everyone's mind", to which he replied "I can do anything".

Turns out he could. :colbert:

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
Holy gently caress! What is this? I don't even...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

dear poo poo man you don't update for weeks and come back with THIS

dear poo poo man

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Maple Leaf posted:

Even better: every time Katia takes a step (e: after around the seventh step, by my count), scroll back up. A new user command will appear. She even interacts with some of them.

I really like the scrolling trick this page uses, but this part doesn't seem to work on any browser except Chrome. (Tried it in Firefox 14.0.1 and Opera 12.01.)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked the scrolling forwards animation but I can't get the scroll backwards trick to work.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

A student posted:

I liked the scrolling forwards animation but I can't get the scroll backwards trick to work.

You have to do it when she's stopped. It's actually to mitigate some bugs we were having with the message appearing in the wrong location.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I really like the scrolling trick this page uses, but this part doesn't seem to work on any browser except Chrome. (Tried it in Firefox 14.0.1 and Opera 12.01.)
It works for me and I'm using Firefox.

Also, holy poo poo! (or should I say "by the Twin Moons!"?) :stare:
I'm really loving all the crazy stuff that you pull in these dream sequences.
Congratulations to both you and Ch'marr. :tipshat:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Weird, it does work now. I don't think I ever scrolled up while Katia was still moving when I was trying it earlier, but I might be wrong about that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god, I saw the shape showing occasionally out of the sides of the black but it seemed to be a circle and I was like 'oh, well, it's not perfect, there's a protruding bitmap element on this browser, bug in the animation...'

Then the last time it appeared I saw it had tentacles. :gonk:

Tarezax posted:

Note the shape of little Katia's shadow :tinfoil:

I noticed that too. Damnit, Kaz.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 8, 2012

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is one of the best single pages of a 'webcomic' I've ever seen.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.
That update is absolutely amazing! Just when I thought you couldn't top the weird stairs in the last update.

Definitely worth the wait.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I liked the update a lot but you should probably find the person who still thinks that "cast magic missile at the darkness" jokes are funny and use a giant slingshot to launch him into a big pit of broken glass.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Whoa. That was bloody brilliant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Oh god, I saw the shape showing occasionally out of the sides of the black but it seemed to be a circle and I was like 'oh, well, it's not perfect, there's a protruding bitmap element on this browser, bug in the animation...'

Then the last time it appeared I saw it had tentacles. :gonk:
It works surprisingly well. Though sometimes the step on which Katia stands disappears (Firefox), and that I think is a bug.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I liked the update a lot but you should probably find the person who still thinks that "cast magic missile at the darkness" jokes are funny and use a giant slingshot to launch him into a big pit of broken glass.

At least nobody has warned her about stairs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A lot of people have naturally compared Prequel to MSPaint Adventures (since the comic grew out of those forums), myself included, but I think this particular sequence really helps get Prequel out of that shadow. It's unique, clever, inventive, and I am duly impressed.

It also reminds me of how on occasion people discuss how the comic feels like it could end any update now. Several people thought Katia wrestling with herself in the church was to be the end of it, and that aside the story has always been one that could end at any time. A big presentation like this, however, helps create the sense the comic is actually ratcheting up instead of winding down.

The end could always be close, I suppose, but it won't be without a worthy resolution for Katia's character and things like her nightmares.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Welp holy poo poo, that page is pretty much a work of art.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This is goddamned astounding.

I only ever got one message when I scrolled back, however, I'm not sure if that's broken in chrome or what.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
Goddrat. :stare: At first I thought you only saw the user commands if you scrolled up after the shadows did their shadowy thing on the side (since that's how I saw the first one at all), but thanks to whoever pointed out how they actually work, because I had to go and check them all out.

Good lord, the animation is gorgeous.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
That's one hell of an update. Great, great work, Kaz.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That's a really impressive page and pretty awesome work. Well worth the wait!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Well gently caress.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I was gonna come here and say you could never top this, but

Kazerad posted:

Of course, I owe Ch'marr a lot of credit here too. This basically all started out with me asking him "Can you make it so I can draw stuff outside the post wrapper? I think that will really blow everyone's mind", to which he replied "I can do anything".

Now I'm daring you to top this. :colbert:

(no but seriously holy poo poo)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
It's really neat going back to the early pages and seeing how much the ambition in each update has ramped up over time.

You're gonna be on webcomics panels at conventions behind this poo poo, Kazerad :unsmigghh:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

This is the best sort of scripting witchcraft, and this will probably become my go-to page to link to people who aren't already reading Prequel.

That just means you're going to have to consistently meet or beat this level of quality moving forward by the way, Kaz.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Certain later commands about sacrifice the Guar doll make Katia nervously hug it close if you stop scrolling back down before she actually starts descending again. Some weirder commands cause her to just look confused.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Now I'm daring you to top this. :colbert:

(no but seriously holy poo poo)

Next dream sequence interacts with our computer processes themselves.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
There's nowt I could add that hasn't been said already, but GOD-drat! That's some fine web-comic'ing.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I don't think I've been this impressed by something done in-browser by a webcomic since back when I read Kid Radd years and years ago, and this is in an entirely different league. Holy poo poo.

Lysdexique
Sep 12, 2010

Let me give you some advice, little buddy.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The look on Katia's face after that comment is priceless, though.

pandaK posted:

Next dream sequence interacts with our computer processes themselves.

Next dream sequence calls you on your cellphone.

Lysdexique fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 8, 2012

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Son of a bitch, Kaz, You're a goddamn hero. I am impressed beyond words.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Way to be a paragon of the webcomic medium, Kaz!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Then Katia was the royalty.

Lysdexique posted:

That would be... majestic.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, that was pretty great. After the walkaround flash earlier we already knew this wasn't one of those MSPA fan spinoffs that misses the point by just aping the basic style while not actually doing anything you couldn't do in a print comic. But now Kaz is going the extra mile and coming up with entirely new ways to take advantage of the medium. That's impressive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lysdexique posted:

Next dream sequence is just a series of flashes and graphics on the screen which leaves you confused, but then that night you dream the actual dream sequence itself.

• Locked thread