Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I looked back to the psycopomp chapter after this latest update, and just realized I've always missed the cut on Annie's cheek when she does the blinker stone thing.

How do I miss this I've read the entire comic 3 times now :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/wide-world-webcomics-gunnerkrigg-court.html

Interview with Tom.

quote:

Nrama: What's coming up in the Court?

Siddell: One word: Jones.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Jones is pretty great. I'd like to learn more about her.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

Before, I could only work on the comic at the weekend, so I had less than two days to do three pages.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Holy poo poo! I had no idea he cranked out all those pages before going full-time in just two days each week! This makes the earlier parts of the comic even more impressive, especially where the art started getting really good.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Elysiume posted:

Jones is pretty great. I'd like to learn more about her.
I dunno. I'm trying to work out the exchange between :mysterysolved: and the fun in speculating what her deal is.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Well, hey, it could just turn out to be more of Jones kicking mad rear end rather than anything expositionary.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

I just want more Mort. I don't think anyone has ever created a better character.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Well, hey, it could just turn out to be more of Jones kicking mad rear end rather than anything expositionary.
I would be perfectly okay with that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mort's interactions with Smitty and Parley are priceless.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

If we go this route I'd like to see more Eglamore too. I don't recall him being seen much outside of flashbacks beyond Annie being sort of flippant with him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Eglamore would probably be pretty swell in a fight too, since he seemed to think he might stand a chance against Jones if he were in an open space. Though maybe he'd need another Rogat Orjak buddy.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Poor Ysengrin :(

To know that for all your strength, your very existence was dependent upon the thoughts of humans. That must be a hard one to accept.

Also, I wonder what is meant by Tom's comment. "What's left of them anyway." Does that mean that the various afterlifes take a chunk of them, or that by the time they are reabsorbed into the ether they can't be said to be human any longer.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I really wonder how this is going to affect Anne and her relation's with the guides. She has never responded well to deceit/mis-direction like this. Learning that she probably ended up leading her mom into what is essentially a giant soul blender for their own gain isn't likely to sit well with her.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also, the Court harnesses etheric energy for its own use....

Junker
Mar 30, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Also, the Court harnesses etheric energy for its own use....

Are you implying that Doctor Disaster is evil? How dare you sir!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Also, I wonder what is meant by Tom's comment. "What's left of them anyway." Does that mean that the various afterlifes take a chunk of them, or that by the time they are reabsorbed into the ether they can't be said to be human any longer.

Ha, you say that and it makes me think of Legacy of Kain. The Wheel World must turn, after all, and you've got to keep that axle greased.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That page showed Annie leading her Mom into the afterlife, so "What's left of them" probably refers to Surma being incomplete after she died.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Junker posted:

Are you implying that Doctor Disaster is evil? How dare you sir!

It does seem like it would be similar to powering a TV or a video game using the souls of the dead... Maybe not evil, but irresponsible, at least in this mindset.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
So Gunnerkrig Court is the Shin-Ra electric power company?

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Prison Warden posted:

So Gunnerkrig Court is the Shin-Ra electric power company?

"They're killin' the planet, CloudAnnie!"
"Not my problem." *flips hair over face like uncaring badass*

But doesn't the etheric energy the plant collects get returned after the device is shut off? I was going to ask if anything else seems to run on etheric energy, then I realized that robots, the Donlans' computer, and probably a number of other systems directly tie in with the ether in some way.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Poor Ysengrin :(

To know that for all your strength, your very existence was dependent upon the thoughts of humans. That must be a hard one to accept.

I thought when he said "What's left of them anyway" he was talking about humans in general. The court is very empty!

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So I recently got 2 of my friends into GC and they are both really creeped out by the birds, so they made this:

Those birds :tinfoil:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This puts a new spin on Coyote's glass-eyed men doesn't it?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

And the half-people in Zimmy's world.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think that "what's left of them" simply means that people in the afterlives either end up wearing down or transcending into forms that are no longer recognizable as human souls and are then absorbed back into the aether. A little bit of cosmic horror for some there, I reckon.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I guess, from the Court's perspective, creatures like Coyote (maybe all of the forest?) are parasites leeching off the power of humanity. And, if that is the case, we should be able to conclude that this is the reason the Court looks down on Anja and Donlan's etheric sciences. Course, speculation's been wrong before, but that seems to be where Tom's pointing.

As for the Glass Eyed Men, Coyote's story said that he was imitating some sort of Creator, but we don't know anything about that character, nor has He/It been mentioned anywhere else to my knowledge, just shown as an eye on this page. Another creation of the ether, or an actual predecessor of mankind?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

But... if this power comes from integrating the souls of dead humans into the ether...

... what about Ketrak?

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

It must be that the souls of all the dead become the ether, but only humans have the intelligence and the imagination to give it a shape and a name.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I think that "what's left of them" simply means that people in the afterlives either end up wearing down or transcending into forms that are no longer recognizable as human souls and are then absorbed back into the aether. A little bit of cosmic horror for some there, I reckon.
Yeah, that concept kind of bugs me a bit. So the afterlife really isn't much of an afterlife at all, then? Does this mean that, say, Annie's mother has already been absorbed into the ether?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that concept kind of bugs me a bit. So the afterlife really isn't much of an afterlife at all, then? Does this mean that, say, Annie's mother has already been absorbed into the ether?

Whatever part of her soul involved her identity minus the core fire elemental spirit, sure.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tollymain posted:

I'm not sure it's more horrible than "no soul and afterlife at all". And hey, if you really want to linger around forever, you could sign up for a ghost program like Mort did.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That reminds me that Mort is described as an "aetheric creature" by Jones. Those guys who gave him Annie's apology card are probably the same, creatures who gained form from the energies of the aether.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

I can see why the earliest chapters might put someone off, as unfortunate as it might be. The excuse that "it gets better later!" generally isn't much help either.

The most common problem I've hit when recommending it to people is "ugh, sounds like Harry Potter fanfiction" and I'm not really sure how to respond to that beyond a punch in the face.

e: I guess I could say it has robots. Does Harry Potter have robots? I don't know.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Fister Roboto posted:

Does Harry Potter have robots? I don't know.

Only if you count the kids' acting in the early movies. :rimshot:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Reading through these past few updates, I don't know if it is actually saying that people's souls or whatever actual degrade and are absorbed into the ether, and then that goes and gets used up by etheric science and the court or whatever. It seems like it can be read as the ether simply existing, like an ocean, and the dreams and thoughts of humankind just give it shape and colour, making form from the nothingness.

The "afterlife" could just be the specific form that a mind perceives as it becomes one with the ether, the conciousness still existing eternally. The line about "this power allowing my world to spin" could refer to the influx of new ideas, fears, and perceptions constantly reshaping the ether and supplementing the old superstitions, rather than the minds of the dead being consumed like petrol.

Could be trying to read this with a personal bias I guess.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Precambrian posted:

As for the Glass Eyed Men, Coyote's story said that he was imitating some sort of Creator, but we don't know anything about that character, nor has He/It been mentioned anywhere else to my knowledge, just shown as an eye on this page. Another creation of the ether, or an actual predecessor of mankind?

Y'know, the glass-eyed men thing seems kind of sinister now. Why would a god sustained by the imaginations of Man try to create his own? To have a new source of power, one devoted to him. What if our sustaining him is the only thing keeping Coyote from wiping us out? What if he tries again, and succeed, obviating his need for us?

Coyote, what the hell are you up to? :ohdear:

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fucknag posted:

Y'know, the glass-eyed men thing seems kind of sinister now. Why would a god sustained by the imaginations of Man try to create his own?

Because it's funny.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what I'm learning here is that creatures from the ether are all created from belief and remnants of dead people.
So Mort wasn't once some kid named Mort who died but a creature born from the ether, resembling a traditional Halloween ghost whose name happened to be Mort.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I disagree. I think Mort is just a traditional ghost, i.e. one who didn't move onto the afterlife and/or etherium due to unfinished business. I've been curious about Mort's previous life for a while now, and expect (hope) that's something we'll see eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This sort of explains why Ysengrin is helping Forest folk to become humanish and be sent into the Court. If he can get enough people from his faction in there, maybe he hopes to gain some measure of control over the human belief system. Take back the means of production.

You know, we've gotten so much exposition (or as much exposition as a comic like this is willing to give) on the Forest through Annie's multiple visits, but we still know jack dick about the Court. I hope the plot swings in that direction soon, at least long enough to get a sense for who the major players are and their relations to each other.