Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

zenintrude posted:

Bought the Doom, Quake, and Hexen packs on Steam today... what do I need to do to get these things running pretty on a modern system? I'm most interested in mouse-look in the Doom 1/2, Quake, and Hexens as well as wide screen support for the Quakes.

For the Dooms I recommend GZDoom: http://www.osnanet.de/c.oelckers/gzdoom/index.html
For Quake I'd check out Dark Places: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
For Quake 2 make sure to check out the Steam forums for patches for the main game and the expansion that fix a lot of mission music.
For Heretic and Hexen, you can run those through ZDoom but there are also various high-res texture packs you might want to look into.

e: the OP has all of this stuff and more :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Nothing wrong with Yodzilla's suggestions, but here's what I was typing while (s)he was typing:

For Doom, I like GZDoom since it fixes the warping when you look up and down. Also get a nice launcher program like https://bitbucket.org/SavageMessiah/qlz/downloads/Launcher.exe

Some setup tips here: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=27640833#item_27640833

For Quake, I recommend nQuake for QuakeWorld multiplayer or bot-fighting, or QuakeSpasm for singleplayer. Dark Places is fun to have a look at but I prefer I little more dialed-back original aesthetic.

Quaddicted has a few words about QuakeSpasm setup, including http://www.quaddicted.com/quake/configuration You may also want to get the Quake Injector program from Quaddicted to easily browse/play singleplayer addons.

nQuake uses the ezQuake engine, and I have some words on configuring that here: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=28080711#item_28080711

Edit: a bit more on the other Quakes too. I don't play much Quake 2, but there are good source ports available for it; I've used KMQuake 2, R1Q2, and EGL before. For Quake 3, ioquake3 is the way to go. I'm sure the Steam forums have more about those. It's not quite as urgent to use source ports for these, as compared to Doom and Quake, but the source ports can help avoid some quirky issues with modern graphics drivers.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 6, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Huh, still hasn't updated his front page?

The latest version is 1.6.00, not 1.5.06, but you can as well get the bleeding edge build from here. For configuring it, etc., the port's documentation is here.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Random thought about the Blood source: couldn't he release the original source, or even the original with all of the networking features stripped out, and then work on his BDaemon or whatever as closed source? He gets his "cheatproof" :rolleyes: closed source release, everyone else gets to work on updating the singleplayer and implementing alternate forms of multiplayer.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Every time I've tried finding servers on nQuake I can never find ones that are populated or are less than 300 ping. Maybe I'm just on at the wrong time of day.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Bought RoTT from gog.com and it basically didn't run at all (very cool), so I downloaded Winrott and I'm getting this error:

I am running it in XP SP 3 compatibility mode but no dice. Help

edit: oh the ones at the bottom of the page had higher version numbers. :blush: Works now.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 7, 2012

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

Interceptor Entertainment went ahead and uploaded their new rendition of "Goin' Down the Fast Way" on YouTube, if any of you are interested in that sort of thing (I sure am :allears: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jkDR9ca9f0

Ive had this on repeat for a stupid number of times now. So good.

Realy hope ROTT 2012 is a smoother blend of old and new then DNF, even though I still found things to enjoy in DNF it was .. disjointed in the extreme.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tooooooo bad posted:

Bought RoTT from gog.com and it basically didn't run at all (very cool), so I downloaded Winrott and I'm getting this error:

I am running it in XP SP 3 compatibility mode but no dice. Help

edit: oh the ones at the bottom of the page had higher version numbers. :blush: Works now.

I downloaded the shareware version and Winrott and gave them a spin. I can get the game running in DOSbox (though with no sound/music), but Winrott just crashes when I try to run it without any sign of errors. It just closes as if I had quit it myself. I'm using Winrott for the shareware version and tried messing with the compatibility settings, so I have no idea what's going on.

Can anyone help me out? I'm really interested in giving it a try (have never played the game before) and I don't want to drop money on a game that might not work to my liking at all.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 7, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I downloaded the shareware version and Winrott and gave them a spin. I can get the game running in DOSbox (though with no sound/music), but Winrott just crashes when I try to run it without any sign of errors. It just closes as if I had quit it myself. I'm using Winrott for the shareware version and tried messing with the compatibility settings, so I have no idea what's going on.

Can anyone help me out? I'm really interested in giving it a try (have never played the game before) and I don't want to drop money on a game that might not work to my liking at all.

With the original DOS RoTT, set up DosBox so that it's in your ROTT folder, then type in "SNDSETUP". This lets you set it up so that you can get sound working. From there, use these settings:

quote:

Soundblaster or compatible
- Port 220
- IRQ 7
- DMA 1
-16 bit DMA
- 8 voice
-Stereo
-16 bit mix

For music set it to...

General Midi

That should get sound and music working.

Zeether posted:

Every time I've tried finding servers on nQuake I can never find ones that are populated or are less than 300 ping. Maybe I'm just on at the wrong time of day.

nQuake is dominated by Europeans (mostly Scandinavian and Eastern Europe), so you'll get lovely ping if you're not in Europe or near it. Use clients like ProQuake if you want to play with America-based players.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

closeted republican posted:

With the original DOS RoTT, set up DosBox so that it's in your ROTT folder, then type in "SNDSETUP". This lets you set it up so that you can get sound working. From there, use these settings:

That should get sound and music working.

I'll give it a shot. Does Winrott refine the controls at all? Using the "aim" key is awkward as all hell...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I'll give it a shot. Does Winrott refine the controls at all? Using the "aim" key is awkward as all hell...

It's been years since I've last used WinRott, so I have no idea. Sorry.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Isn't WinROTT like really old and designed to run on Windows 98?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Trying to install Quake 2 Berserker on my Steam copy, but Berserker does an overly long check of the pk3 files and then opens up a blank, black screen that I can't C+A+D out of.

I'm tempted to try Quake 2: Evolved, but is that any better?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

You still have to use the original control menu, but you can bind modern controls, the only problem is there's no 'unbind' function so you have to bind keys you don't want/need to something useless.

As for the mouse, you have left/right aiming and fire by default, you can turn on a really lovely mouse aim mode and crosshair if you want however.

I recommend putting change weapon on the wheel button there's no inventory so you only switch between primary which is infinite, and the secondary which you pick up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A new version of Doom64 EX just came out. Insert Doom 64 WAD, and out comes a full updated PC port! Magical!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reive posted:

As for the mouse, you have left/right aiming and fire by default, you can turn on a really lovely mouse aim mode and crosshair if you want however.

Okay, and how do I do this :confused:

lovely as it is, there's no way it can be any worse than holding down an "aim" button and aiming up/down with a reversed axis.

EDIT: I should probably say again that I was unsuccessful in getting Winrott working. I wouldn't mind playing the vanilla version if it allowed me to change the god-awful control scheme (or auto-aimed, I'm cool with that too).

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 7, 2012

Reive
May 21, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, and how do I do this :confused:

lovely as it is, there's no way it can be any worse than holding down an "aim" button and aiming up/down with a reversed axis.

EDIT: I should probably say again that I was unsuccessful in getting Winrott working. I wouldn't mind playing the vanilla version if it allowed me to change the god-awful control scheme (or auto-aimed, I'm cool with that too).

Options -> 'ext user options'

It's terrible, it auto aligns to center when you move and turning while looking up/down feels awkward as hell.

Not related but I just noticed by default moving forward/backward on the mouse makes you move, and there's no option to turn it off :suicide:

I just keep getting more annoyed by this drat program the more I use it, why isn't there a modern one?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Playing ROTT with a mouse would make me insane, it's easier to go back to the roots and play keyboard only with that one.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Dominic White posted:

A new version of Doom64 EX just came out. Insert Doom 64 WAD, and out comes a full updated PC port! Magical!
Thanks for the heads up!

I was going to ask what differentiates this port from Doom 64 Absolution, but it didn't take much searching to find out. One of the developers from Absolution wasn't happy with the results and took it upon himself to make a better port.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ohvee posted:

Thanks for the heads up!

I was going to ask what differentiates this port from Doom 64 Absolution, but it didn't take much searching to find out. One of the developers from Absolution wasn't happy with the results and took it upon himself to make a better port.

Absolution is a rough approximation of Doom 64. 64EX is a full port, using the actual data from the ROM itself and an updated engine.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Is there any easy way to sub the original Doom monster and gun graphics into Doom 64 EX? I love the levels and so on but the new sprites really bum me out.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I never played Doom64 but is it normal that the levels have no music and only some weird/reverbing ambient noise stuff? It's creepy but I'm just curious because the level change music works fine.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

I never played Doom64 but is it normal that the levels have no music and only some weird/reverbing ambient noise stuff? It's creepy but I'm just curious because the level change music works fine.

That's normal.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FrickenMoron posted:

Doom 64, as well as the PSX version of Doom, used this awesomely creepy ambient music. It really gave the games a totally different feel from original Doom.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It certainly feels different but I think I prefer the normal soundtracks from the original games. While the levels are pretty fun, the enemies sprites look really janky though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Try using nearest filtering instead of linear in the video options. They still don't look that good, but they look less coated in vaseline.

EDIT: Mixed up the filters. :downs:

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 7, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I already changed to nearest, bilinear etc filtering is really bad with old pixely games. They still look a bit weird compared to the original ones. The sprites are larger but instead of being hand drawn it's totally obvious that they're renders turned into sprites.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Dominic White posted:

Absolution is a rough approximation of Doom 64. 64EX is a full port, using the actual data from the ROM itself and an updated engine.
Wow, yeah, from what I remember of Absolution this is definitely an upgrade. The lighting in particular stands out to me as improved.

I always loved the more ambient style noise soundtrack in this game. It fit the change of tone that sets this one apart. The PSX Doom was great too, in that regard.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Is there any way to make gibs stay in Quake II? It kind of weirds me out dead bodies stay, but giblets don't. That, and I'm used to DarkPlaces leaving in gore pile in Q1.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

I don't know if this is expected or not, but I guess I should warn everyone that :siren:your old save games and WAD are incompatible with this version!:siren:

I'm glad I can use cheats to get all my weapons and artefacts back and warp to the map I was on. Still have to re-collect the backpack though :argh:

Reive posted:

Options -> 'ext user options'

It's terrible, it auto aligns to center when you move and turning while looking up/down feels awkward as hell.

Not related but I just noticed by default moving forward/backward on the mouse makes you move, and there's no option to turn it off :suicide:

I just keep getting more annoyed by this drat program the more I use it, why isn't there a modern one?

Agh. I'm going to have to give up on this until a decent source port is available. Maybe the reboot will increase interest in the development of one...

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Agh. I'm going to have to give up on this until a decent source port is available. Maybe the reboot will increase interest in the development of one...

Have you tried WinROTTGL? It's been a while since I've actually used a ROTT source port, but I think it's a direct continuation of the original WinROTT, not just a branch that adds OpenGL.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, ROTTGL works great, and it has proper mouselook and everything.

Grab this if it complains about glut32.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's been a couple of years since I last tried, but for me all of the Windows ports of ROTT were crash prone and actually ran slower than just installing in DOSBox. Everyone makes DOSBox out to be a janky piece of poo poo, but it's actually really nice to use if you take the time to look at the options and set them up how you want them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It's been a couple of years since I last tried, but for me all of the Windows ports of ROTT were crash prone and actually ran slower than just installing in DOSBox. Everyone makes DOSBox out to be a janky piece of poo poo, but it's actually really nice to use if you take the time to look at the options and set them up how you want them.

They do? I thought the main reason people preferred source ports to dosbox is that they are actually improved versions of the game, supporting stuff like mouselook and high-res textures and r-pitch and multiplayer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Everyone makes DOSBox out to be a janky piece of poo poo

DOSBox got a big increase in performances some times ago. I forgot if it was from 0.71 to 0.72, or from 0.72 to 0.73 (and we're currently on 0.74), but it was like night and day, with some games being horribly sluggish and slideshow-esque like Daggerfall suddenly (on the same computer with the same DOSBox CFG) becoming smooth and perfectly playable.

So maybe people have just kept bad memories of DOSBox but haven't tried a more recent version?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I played Ultima 4 on DOSBox on Mac recently and it worked better than any other emulator for any system I've tried in the past couple years. It's a great piece of software.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're on a Mac, use Boxer. It's a modified version of DOSBox that has a nice OSX interface, including packaging games into app-like "gameboxes". It's utterly fantastic.

Anyway, Rock Paper Shotgun interviewed the ROTT Remake dudes. Some choice cuts:
  • Levels aim to recapture the spirit of the original ones - there will be weird open mazes (the first level of Duke 3D is given as a good example), but they won't be utterly impossible like some of the later ROTT levels. No spelling their names out in the level editor, either.
  • The weapons have been subtly rebalanced while keeping their character - players can outrun and jump over the Flamewall, for instance, and the Drunk Missile Launcher is less of a BFG.
  • Dog Mode still has the Barkblast! :haw:
  • 80% of the single player levels have been built, but the enemy AI pretty much doesn't exist yet.
  • They want to release lots of new content in updates, ala Minecraft, but without subjecting customers to being paying beta testers.
  • Post-release content will be largely up to what the players want most - a shotgun weapon and 1:1 remakes of ROTT levels are suggested as possibilities.
  • Release date will be announced 1-2 months before release, so basically when they're good and ready.
  • Plans to highlight great mods both on and off of Steam Workshop.

They're definitely open about what they need to do while remaining confident in the game. It's gonna be interesting.

While I'm on the ROTT Remake kick, it's interesting that I've seen some people on and off SA compare it to Duke Nukem Forever with the connotation that ROTT will be a lame duck like DNF. DNF was hacked together over ten years and millions of dollars of farting around by hundreds of people, while the new ROTT is being built on a shoestring budget in 12 months or so by a 21-man mod team. If the new ROTT is janky and mediocre, I think it'll be a lot more understandable.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 8, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Kins posted:

If you're on a Mac, use Boxer. It's a modified version of DOSBox that has a nice OSX interface, including packaging games into app-like "gameboxes". It's utterly fantastic.

This is what I used! It was awesome. Shame that it is literally the only good-looking piece of emulation software ever created. I think there should be more wrappers/launchers like that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

This is what I used! It was awesome. Shame that it is literally the only good-looking piece of emulation software ever created. I think there should be more wrappers/launchers like that.
This is a little off topic, but some guys are making a similar wrapper for multiple systems using established emulators for cores, called OpenEmu. Its not finished or publicly released, and it's a bit unstable, but the source is on GitHub if you want to mess with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

Anyway, Rock Paper Shotgun interviewed the ROTT Remake dudes. Some choice cuts:
  • Levels aim to recapture the spirit of the original ones - there will be weird open mazes (the first level of Duke 3D is given as a good example), but they won't be utterly impossible like some of the later ROTT levels. No spelling their names out in the level editor, either.
  • The weapons have been subtly rebalanced while keeping their character - players can outrun and jump over the Flamewall, for instance, and the Drunk Missile Launcher is less of a BFG.
  • Dog Mode still has the Barkblast! :haw:
  • 80% of the single player levels have been built, but the enemy AI pretty much doesn't exist yet.
  • They want to release lots of new content in updates, ala Minecraft, but without subjecting customers to being paying beta testers.
  • Post-release content will be largely up to what the players want most - a shotgun weapon and 1:1 remakes of ROTT levels are suggested as possibilities.
  • Release date will be announced 1-2 months before release, so basically when they're good and ready.
  • Plans to highlight great mods both on and off of Steam Workshop.

They're definitely open about what they need to do while remaining confident in the game. It's gonna be interesting.

While I'm on the ROTT Remake kick, it's interesting that I've seen some people on and off SA compare it to Duke Nukem Forever with the connotation that ROTT will be a lame duck like DNF. DNF was hacked together over ten years and millions of dollars of farting around by hundreds of people, while the new ROTT is being built on a shoestring budget in 12 months or so by a 21-man mod team. If the new ROTT is janky and mediocre, I think it'll be a lot more understandable.

Thanks for this. Also, I got Boxer not long ago and it works great. I still prefer gaming on my PC but it's nice having DOOM and whatnot to take with me wherever I go in case I get the urge.