Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Wasn't there a fat kung-fu panda in TMNT lore? That would be the ADTRW goons for sure :neckbeard:

I believe you mean motherfucking Panda Khan, good sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

What I never understood was how Usagi Yojimbo was part of the lore, but yet had his own comic/cartoon and poo poo without the turtles?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Rage posted:

What I never understood was how Usagi Yojimbo was part of the lore, but yet had his own comic/cartoon and poo poo without the turtles?

The creator of Usagi was a friend of the creators of TMNT and allowed the character to have an episode or two in (both) of the old cartoons. I presume he also allowed figures to be made as part of the toy lines.

Both TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo were owned by their creators at the time (UY still is, and is published by Dark Horse).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

therealjon_ posted:

Sideshow if you want to flex pay, BBTS if you don't. BBTS will generally be about $25 - $30 cheaper, but might be missing the Sideshow exclusive parts.

Ah cool, thanks. The Garfield Spidey doesn't appear to have any exclusive parts on Sideshow so that helps

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

MrFlibble posted:

The creator of Usagi was a friend of the creators of TMNT and allowed the character to have an episode or two in (both) of the old cartoons. I presume he also allowed figures to be made as part of the toy lines.

Kiiiiind of, I mean I don't know the details but for some intricate legal reason we're not privy to, the UY toy from Playmates is 100% different from the comics and cartoon version while still being a "samurai rabbit". I still wonder why.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Kiiiiind of, I mean I don't know the details but for some intricate legal reason we're not privy to, the UY toy from Playmates is 100% different from the comics and cartoon version while still being a "samurai rabbit". I still wonder why.

There were two versions - regular Samurai Usagi, who appeared a couple of times on the show and Space Usagi, who never made it onto television.

Space Usagi was, in fact, based on a comic version of the character (technically, a descendant of the original character).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

funtax posted:

There were two versions - regular Samurai Usagi, who appeared a couple of times on the show and Space Usagi, who never made it onto television.

Space Usagi was, in fact, based on a comic version of the character (technically, a descendant of the original character).

Sorry if I was unclear, what I'm saying is that if you compare screencaps from the episodes Usagi appeared in and the Usagi from the comics, they're virtually identical (robe, insignia, colors, facial structure). If you compare the TMNT figure with the Usagi from the comics, TV show, or official Sakai Usagi action figure/statue, there was a clear effort made to differentiate him. Perhaps the animation studio had the rights to his name and likeness while Playmates only had the rights to the name, but not the likeness? I just think it's interesting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sorry if I was unclear, what I'm saying is that if you compare screencaps from the episodes Usagi appeared in and the Usagi from the comics, they're virtually identical (robe, insignia, colors, facial structure). If you compare the TMNT figure with the Usagi from the comics, TV show, or official Sakai Usagi action figure/statue, there was a clear effort made to differentiate him. Perhaps the animation studio had the rights to his name and likeness while Playmates only had the rights to the name, but not the likeness? I just think it's interesting.

To be fair, Playmates' TMNT sculpts were all pretty poor -- short, squatty, and not particularly show-accurate. Everything from Shredder being shirtless to the Turtles' initials on their belts showed they took a lot of liberties and shortcuts.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

To be fair, Playmates' TMNT sculpts were all pretty poor -- short, squatty, and not particularly show-accurate. Everything from Shredder being shirtless to the Turtles' initials on their belts showed they took a lot of liberties and shortcuts.

That could totally be it, too. I just think it's interesting that it's not even close. I mean there's some weird tweaks to some figures (like the ones you pointed out), but the Usagi toy is like like someone tried to describe him to the sculptor over the telephone, "Yeah he's a white rabbit samurai with a top knot, get to sculptin'!" and the sculptor had never even seen the show or comics.

Sorry if I'm endlessly going on about it, I actually like the figure a lot because it's so weird, but I find the behind-the-scenes stuff more interesting than I should.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Ah. Well, the easiest explanation is simple finance and production considerations. Playmates probably didn't want to release a figure that wouldn't be part of the "core" line that required a lot of extra accessories (i.e. cloth robes and pants). They were also notorious for cutting corners to save plastic (hence the hollow "soft head" versions released originally). Sculpting a "proper" version of Usagi would have meant a TON of additional plastic being used to create the loose, baggy look of his standard outfit.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The Rage posted:

I felt the same way seeing that figure, so I ordered the Play Arts Kai version:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=SEP10323&mode=retail

Ughhh they wasted a figure slot on Ashley? I hope Legion gets a figure in the next wave. If they do one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ughhh they wasted a figure slot on Ashley? I hope Legion gets a figure in the next wave. If they do one.

Even worse, she's the only one who comes with a shotgun if you want to make your Shep figure a Vanguard.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Surprising no one, the DCUC subs MIRACULOUSLY jumped up by 80% in the last 48 hours and the line will survive another year:

Let the buyer's remorse BEGIN!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

funtax posted:

Surprising no one, the DCUC subs MIRACULOUSLY jumped up by 80% in the last 48 hours and the line will survive another year:

Let the buyer's remorse BEGIN!

What the gently caress is this poo poo. "Ivestigate tooling"

WHO IS BUYING THIS AND FINDS THAT OFFER APPEALING :psyduck:

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I think it's more a case of "when you're hungry, you eat whatever is available, even if it's a poo poo sandwich"

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I was really hoping the line would die and I wouldn't be punished for jumping the gun the first day this went up, but I got played for a sucker yet again. Funny how the number of people purchasing subs spontaneously jumped more than double within the last 12 hours; be more blatant and shameless, Matty.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Sanschel posted:

I was really hoping the line would die and I wouldn't be punished for jumping the gun the first day this went up, but I got played for a sucker yet again. Funny how the number of people purchasing subs spontaneously jumped more than double within the last 12 hours; be more blatant and shameless, Matty.

Yup. I can't really explain WHY I subbed again (also on Day One) and I definitely spent the last week or so hoping the line would just die. Hopefully, they'll stick to the "little to nothing available on monthly sale days" threat so I can offload most of the figures easily.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Christ. I'm glad that, as a Marvel fan, I really only have to deal with the incompetence of Hasbro. Compared to Matty Hasbro is the most amazing company on Earth. I feel so sorry for you DC and MOTU guys.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Eh MOTU is fine, I feel bad for the DC guys, they seem to just be phoning it in these days.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'd be more pissed at matty for the constant hostage taking of their fans. "If you don't buy a subscription for this figure, we'll kill this puppy" and when they have to kill the puppy, suddenly the thermometer hits the proper level....but just barely and they won't release any kind of number on what they needed/where they're at.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

RevKrule posted:

I'd be more pissed at matty for the constant hostage taking of their fans. "If you don't buy a subscription for this figure, we'll kill this puppy" and when they have to kill the puppy, suddenly the thermometer hits the proper level....but just barely and they won't release any kind of number on what they needed/where they're at.

And don't overlook that that massive jump conveniently fell short of the secondary goal that would've required them to actually think about spending money on something other than the same bucks they've been using for the last six years.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=
I love how we're all constantly hating on Mattel. S'kinda funny to a degree.

In other Mattel hate, I picked up 2 of the new Ninja Turtle figures. They are awesome, imo. This may not seem like Mattel hate, but the fact I got TWO fully articulated figures with a buttload of accessories (more than was necessary, really) for UNDER $20 made me REALLY question Mattel's business practices. :confused:

EDIT:
To be fair, the TMNT stuff is done by Playmates, but still. The idea is that if some other, probably smaller company can pump out figures for ~$9 a piece is doesn't make sense that another company does nearly the same business for $15+ a piece. AND THEN have the audacity to hold figures that people want ransom.
VVVVVVV

Nilryna fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 8, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Matty Collector is the pathetic underground sewer civilization to the well respectable, established Mattel City above them

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Nilryna posted:

In other Mattel hate, I picked up 2 of the new Ninja Turtle figures. They are awesome, imo. This may not seem like Mattel hate, but the fact I got TWO fully articulated figures with a buttload of accessories (more than was necessary, really) for UNDER $20 made me REALLY question Mattel's business practices. :confused:

I saw them today and was on the fence, I think I'm going to go back and get Don and Mike. Weren't they coming out with retro ones too? Would love a retro Casey j
Jones and Krang :)

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Nilryna posted:

Pick up any of the non-turtle figures and you'll start to see where the corners were cut, but yeah... the main four turtles are fantastic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Nobody's gonna buy Ashley. But I do have Garrus and Femshep preordered.

Now if only they'd do Wrex...

Also, has anyone picked up the four classic turtles? I've been thinking about getting them, but sadly they're sold out in BBTS. I heard they might get released in TRU - maybe I'll check there later.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

poo poo, I didn't realize you could preorder Femshep. Where'd you preorder yours?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

poo poo, I didn't realize you could preorder Femshep. Where'd you preorder yours?

Femshep and Tali were added to BBTS today.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Now if only they'd do Wrex...

Also, has anyone picked up the four classic turtles? I've been thinking about getting them, but sadly they're sold out in BBTS. I heard they might get released in TRU - maybe I'll check there later.

Yes they are at Toys R Us and yes they are worth every penny - the classic ones as well as the new ones both are really awesome.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

AlkalinePunk posted:

Yes they are at Toys R Us and yes they are worth every penny - the classic ones as well as the new ones both are really awesome.

drat my Toys R Us didn't have anything but the new line out yesterday.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I can't find a good scale figure to go with the turtles, they are hilariously huge around six inch figures.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

AlkalinePunk posted:

I might hit up TRU after I get out of hell work today, but my TRU is a barren wasteland that never gets anything, and has only DOTM figures, Prime Bumblebees, Animated Rodimus and Ratchet, and Star Wars Episode I figures, because what kid doesn't want their very own Jar Jar Binks? It's like visiting the island of misfit toys.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Found all 4 classic TMNT figures today. They're awesome. And big!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

Found all 4 classic TMNT figures today. They're awesome. And big!

We ordered them but Diamond allocated them so now I have to go on the hunt for them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

We ordered them but Diamond allocated them so now I have to go on the hunt for them.

TrU has them. There was an entire case at my local one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

TrU has them. There was an entire case at my local one.

Awesome, hopefully mine does as well. Of course this is entirely contrary to my current SELL EVERYTHING I OWN mentality.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hot Toys Hulk up at Sideshow and the price ain't too bad, $299.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id...facebook_081012

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Man, the Classic Turtles loving rule. They have so much articulation. Radical! Tubular! Awesome! Cowabunga, dudes!

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
That Hulk figure reminded me of one I had when I was a kid:

You could cram Bruce Banner inside him!