Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

RangerScum posted:

Here are three shots up for portfolio consideration:

Camping at Worthington by Myotomy, on Flickr

The Long Stare by Myotomy, on Flickr

Snow Dog by Myotomy, on Flickr

I look at (and take) a lot of pictures of people on mountains so I thought I'd add my thoughts here.

The first one is solid campfire shot, good exposure for the fire and a lovely glow on the people's faces. I don't like that two of them are looking bemusedly at something off frame and I wish the foreground were sharper, but those are pretty minor criticisms.

I think the second is the weakest of the three, although I can't put my finger on exactly why. The guy's legs and lower back do blend into the background pretty badly, though. I don't know what your intent is with these photos, but I often get people in big landscape scenes with muted colours like this to wear more contrasting clothing. If they've got a brightly coloured t-shirt under their jacket or have a raincoat in a different colour then adding or removing a layer often stops them vanishing into the scenery.

The last one is awesome, by far my favourite. You have a little of the same problem with the dog blending into the dirty ice, but it's not nearly as bad here. Take out the dust spot in the top right of the picture and don't change another thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007
I'm gay for Michael Phelps.

But everyone's gay for someone - right? RIGHT?
From a recent trip through Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore

Some women hanging out and talking in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Untitled by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

Fire breathers in Singapore

Teamwork! by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Tyorik posted:

From a recent trip through Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and Singapore

Some women hanging out and talking in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Fire breathers in Singapore

Teamwork! by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

I would love if the firebreather shot was cropped just a tiny bit more from the top and the right. I don't know if it's just me but the little bit of fire on top of that stick is kinda bothering me being cutoff. Beautiful shots. Do you have anymore street shots to post? I particularly enjoy those types of shots.

e: I just checked out your flickr, and the other shot of the firebreathers is fantastic.

Here are some recent shots:

Walk Away. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Homeward Bound. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Get Pretty. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

scotty posted:

I would love if the firebreather shot was cropped just a tiny bit more from the top and the right. I don't know if it's just me but the little bit of fire on top of that stick is kinda bothering me being cutoff. Beautiful shots. Do you have anymore street shots to post? I particularly enjoy those types of shots.

e: I just checked out your flickr, and the other shot of the firebreathers is fantastic.

Might not be a bad idea to just cut that flame out altogether. I'll work on that one. I wasn't too happy that the fire wasn't exposed even remotely right in the second picture, but the lighting situation was just too tough to get the shot I wanted. I do like that one though

Here are a couple similar street shots:

A large open market in Bangkok

An awesome Tuk-Tuk driver in Siem Reap, Cambodia, taken while also in a Tuk-Tuk!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

scotty posted:

There's a great intimate feel to this shot. We don't see her face in the mirror and I really like it because you're almost drawn to look to see who she is. It's like play on the typical bride-doing-her-make-up-in-the-mirror shot that is almost expected to be seen these days. Add that to the fact that she's facing away from you, it gives you the feeling that she could be anyone and makes you more curious.

Makes me want to dig out my medium format temperamental Yashica again.

Unblurred by geeves, on Flickr

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Tyorik posted:

I really like the framing, but I think the cables and loudspeaker up top are a bit distracting. They draw my eye away from the people and action in the shot. I don't have a very discerning eye for it just yet, but I like the color and exposure aside from the dark spot on the right. This is my first time with this kind of thing though, so I'd like to hear if you think differently.

Here's a few of the first shots I've taken with my first big boy camera (Sony NEX-7). For the last 2 I was seeing what I could do with night shots. A few "auto" clicks in lightroom later, here we are.

tree by emptypockets304, on Flickr

street scene vertical by emptypockets304, on Flickr

street scene horizontal by emptypockets304, on Flickr

edit: spelling

Empty Pockets fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 5, 2012

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009

Tyorik posted:

An awesome Tuk-Tuk driver in Siem Reap, Cambodia, taken while also in a Tuk-Tuk!

The second picture is definitely stronger here; the first one lacks a clear subject and makes my eyes wander. It's well exposed, and the framing is nice, but there isn't anything too interesting being framed. If any of the people who are in focus were looking at the camera, it would be much better.

The second one I really like; it just makes me happy. Great colors and expression.

Here's the first roll (Ektachrome 100VS) I've taken with my new Contax G1:

David Bowie Cat by renburress, on Flickr

Untitled by renburress, on Flickr

Untitled by renburress, on Flickr

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

I don't think my idea came across as well as I had hoped for the first shot; I wanted the guy in the white shirt to be the main feature, with the rest of the people around him mostly just objects. As if there's all of this chaos going on, but this one guy is calm and collected, comfortable in his surroundings. I think if I could figure out a way to blur the people beside him it might draw the eye to him and keep it there. I don't know

In some ways the middle picture you posted I feel has the same trouble as mine. I'm not sure where I'm looking other than at the chaos and sloppiness of the driving and infrastructure. That's what I got anyway. The CocaCola sign draws the eye maybe a little more than it should, unless that's a feature you wanted to show?

A couple more

A night market vendor puts on a jazz tune for the passing customers

Side view of the hotel in Singapore that hosts a world famous Skybar (the top curved structure)

A shot of the city from said Skybar

Singapore By Day by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

scotty posted:

Walk Away. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Please do more of these, they sell an amazing sense of mystery and intrigue for your faceless subject. Are they intended to be the start of a story? May I ask what scanning software you use?

I was lucky today in that I was the photographic techincian for a local artist who does excellent things with grotesque shapes. Even more lucky in that we had time for me to arrange a portrait for myself with a couple of props.

ArtsShootSelfie by TimFPictures, on Flickr

The colour cast appears to change depending on where I post it, it seems a little too magenta now its in jpeg, but oh well.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Tyorik posted:

I don't think my idea came across as well as I had hoped for the first shot; I wanted the guy in the white shirt to be the main feature, with the rest of the people around him mostly just objects. As if there's all of this chaos going on, but this one guy is calm and collected, comfortable in his surroundings. I think if I could figure out a way to blur the people beside him it might draw the eye to him and keep it there. I don't know

In some ways the middle picture you posted I feel has the same trouble as mine. I'm not sure where I'm looking other than at the chaos and sloppiness of the driving and infrastructure. That's what I got anyway. The CocaCola sign draws the eye maybe a little more than it should, unless that's a feature you wanted to show?

A couple more

Side view of the hotel in Singapore that hosts a world famous Skybar (the top curved structure)

A shot of the city from said Skybar

Singapore By Day by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

I like the first one the most, I think it's just because of the human element. I wish I could get rid of the shadows on his face, then again his eyes stand out more because of the way the shadows land. The second looks great, I can't really see anything that would make it better. While I like the third, it seems a little distant. The horizon is great, but I feel like there is something wrong in the foreground. Maybe crop out the blue and yellow on the the right? Giving it a more uniform color scheme.
----------------------------

I went to the butterfly festival at the Powell Gardens, and in my opinion this was one of my better shots. Still looking for some suggestions. Also, I'm not sure what caused the background to become, blurred? I'm not sure what actually happened. It looks like there are less colors than in the original.

Moth by kamakaze9, on Flickr

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Kamakaze9 posted:

I went to the butterfly festival at the Powell Gardens, and in my opinion this was one of my better shots. Still looking for some suggestions. Also, I'm not sure what caused the background to become, blurred? I'm not sure what actually happened. It looks like there are less colors than in the original.

Moth by kamakaze9, on Flickr
bg is blurred because the leaves aren't at the same focal distance as the butterfly.

this would work better if you'd taken the image with the butterfly up against the black background instead of partially obscuring the leaves.

Untitled by changezi, on Flickr

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

carcinofuck posted:

bg is blurred because the leaves aren't at the same focal distance as the butterfly.

this would work better if you'd taken the image with the butterfly up against the black background instead of partially obscuring the leaves.

Untitled by changezi, on Flickr

No, I understand the focal length and the blurred leaves. What I'm confused about is that the black background is actually dark green leaves and shadows, which are clearly visible on the original and not so much on the upload

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Kamakaze9 posted:

No, I understand the focal length and the blurred leaves. What I'm confused about is that the black background is actually dark green leaves and shadows, which are clearly visible on the original and not so much on the upload

Jpeg compression, going from 16-bit to 8-bit colour, browser colour-space handling, there are a range of reasons why the image would appear different on the internet that in Photoshop. To my mind it was probably in the conversion, if you were shooting Adobe1998 and you went to sRGB you lose fine detail in the darks allll the time. (At least in my experience.)

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

The composition of this shot doesn't work too well for me. Something about that black background... and the body of the moth seems cluttered in flowers, so it's tough to find the beginning and end of it. I'm not typically a fan of selective color, but this seems like a good candidate for it. All else B&W with the moth in color? I don't know, it seems good in my head but I don't know if it would work in practice.

Ok, this is a new style for me for post, so I really went out on a limb with it and am curious what other people think of it. I'm still a little up in the air about it

Quick Trip to Paradise by Ebola Cereal, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Tyorik posted:

The composition of this shot doesn't work too well for me. Something about that black background... and the body of the moth seems cluttered in flowers, so it's tough to find the beginning and end of it. I'm not typically a fan of selective color, but this seems like a good candidate for it. All else B&W with the moth in color? I don't know, it seems good in my head but I don't know if it would work in practice.

Ok, this is a new style for me for post, so I really went out on a limb with it and am curious what other people think of it. I'm still a little up in the air about it

It looks like fake TS. Is it?

I personally don't like it when it's added in post. TS can work well for some subjects, portraits for example, but landscape isn't one of them.

I kind of want to see the original to compare against.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're going to blur the image that obviously, either free lens the shot, use a lens baby or tilt shift lens.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm pretty sure this would be a awesome photo without the t/s effect. With it, it makes my head hurt.

I wish there was more of the airplane's window or less of the window. The current crop makes it feel incidental.

I don't know if this last one is working at all. I feel like it's way too dark, but every time I try to futz around, things look worse.

Edit: also, startrails :argh:

Tyorik
Dec 31, 2007

So the general consensus is, do exactly what I did, except in reverse. Got it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tyorik posted:

I agree with everyone else, and would also say that there's no good reason for the blur to be there. This photo is like my friends on Instagram (shut up) who use the fake TS function with absolutely no regard for what it's actually supposed to do. If you're married to it, personally I think you should pick something you want to highlight, like for example that speed boat with people jumping off of it, and put them in focus and the rest out of it.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't know if this last one is working at all. I feel like it's way too dark, but every time I try to futz around, things look worse.

I like the look of everything in your first shot until I get to that sky. That featureless white sky which is just sort of sitting there as a bright strip of nothing at the top of the frame. The brightness of it draws me up to it, but then there's nothing there to look at. I like the shot, I just wish there was something in that sky.

For your last I think you just need to be closer to the clouds and the lightning. You've got a really really cool shot there in the middle of your frame with a whole lot of not much interesting going on around the edges. Try cropping it in closer and see how that looks maybe?

Here's a couple things I've done lately that I'd love to get some thoughts on:

Bus number one by fralbjabar, on Flickr
I like this, seemed far more interesting to me than just taking a picture of the sunset itself. I don't know about the post processing though, on two of my monitors it looks fine to me but on the third it looks very magenta and way overprocessed.

On a line by fralbjabar, on Flickr
This one I like but I can't really articulate why, and that bothers me. By all rights it should be nothing but something in the back of my head keeps going "hey, this looks really cool"

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

fralbjabar posted:

Here's a couple things I've done lately that I'd love to get some thoughts on:

Bus number one by fralbjabar, on Flickr

I really like the first one. The balance is very warm, but it's a dang sunset. Those are supposed to be orange and magenta. I think it looks awesome and makes me nostalgic for those old three-hour bus rides across the state of Oklahoma to march during a half-time football show in often sub-zero temperatures. Ok, not so much nostalgic.

The second one doesn't do much for me. If you had caught one of the birds landing or taking off, or a bird in mid-flight, then it might be more interesting, but birds on a high wire just sitting there especially with the super wide crop seems off somehow. A tighter crop with more details on the birds might be nice. Although, if you're going for a huge-negative-space photo, then it might be just what you're after.

=====================

This is my fist attempt at photoshop pretty much ever. I posted a photo a few weeks back where I had upped the exposure so much the sky and sea turned yellow, so this is my attempt to put together the original exposure that had pretty sky/sea with the adjusted on top so you can see the rocks/people. All I can see is the spots where the mask screwed up, so any commentary towards how to do that better besides "be less lovely with a mouse" and if I did more good than harm by cobbling two photos together.

Rocks2 by prismaticglasses, on Flickr

Edit: Tried a second attempt. I think it turned out a little better.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

XTimmy posted:

Please do more of these, they sell an amazing sense of mystery and intrigue for your faceless subject. Are they intended to be the start of a story? May I ask what scanning software you use?

I was lucky today in that I was the photographic techincian for a local artist who does excellent things with grotesque shapes. Even more lucky in that we had time for me to arrange a portrait for myself with a couple of props.

ArtsShootSelfie by TimFPictures, on Flickr

The colour cast appears to change depending on where I post it, it seems a little too magenta now its in jpeg, but oh well.

This is absolutely fantastic, although I wish the object in your hands were a little more illuminated so it was more obvious that it was some bizarre shape and not something that I just can't discern because it's too obscured by shadow. I also wish you were wearing some really fancy wingtips or something to complete the look because the socks don't quite fit the tone. Otherwise it's one of the best portraits I've seen on here, self or otherwise.

Doesn't look magenta at all on my IPS, also.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Fairly happy with this shot. It was a perfect calm day with a full moon taking softening the shadows. Hope to go to Maine again and actually get some real work done.

Maine Is Beautiful by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

fralbjabar posted:

This one I like but I can't really articulate why, and that bothers me. By all rights it should be nothing but something in the back of my head keeps going "hey, this looks really cool"

Can't say I like it much. It's a bit of a cliche shot. The blues are way too blue and it's vignetted. The photo just isn't all that unique or interesting to look at.

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 9, 2012

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pukestain Pal posted:

Fairly happy with this shot. It was a perfect calm day with a full moon taking softening the shadows. Hope to go to Maine again and actually get some real work done.

Maine Is Beautiful by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Can't say I like it much. It's a bit of a cliche shot. The blues are way too blue and it's vignetted. The photo just isn't all that unique or interesting to look at.

Can't say I like it much. It's a bit of a cliche shot. The blues look too blue. The photo just isn't all the unique or interesting to look at.

(As someone from Maine)

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

Can't say I like it much. It's a bit of a cliche shot. The blues look too blue. The photo just isn't all the unique or interesting to look at.

(As someone from Maine)

Har.

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary

DSC_0669 by FarmeerHank, on Flickr

Walking through the local Korean market, I shot this image (of mostly American things) and I am torn. I like the vectors, I like how it points to the one lady bending over getting stuff but I don't enjoy the pocketbook lady. But, what am I too do, tell her to stop shopping? Yet maybe the whole image is cliched, and I am just lame.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

But really, it is pretty cliche and it does look like you adjusted the blues (maybe I am wrong about the blues).

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

FarmerHank posted:

Walking through the local Korean market, I shot this image (of mostly American things) and I am torn. I like the vectors, I like how it points to the one lady bending over getting stuff but I don't enjoy the pocketbook lady. But, what am I too do, tell her to stop shopping? Yet maybe the whole image is cliched, and I am just lame.

If you were really interested in how the lines converged at the lady bending over, maybe putting her in focus would have made that more apparent to the viewer.

e. And about the other lady in the frame, yeah you can't really tell her to stop shopping but what I do sometimes is bring toys to throw as a way of luring people out of the frame. I let them keep them too.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

But really, it is pretty cliche and it does look like you adjusted the blues (maybe I am wrong about the blues).

Barely touched the photo. The only color I adjusted was dodging the house a bit and straightening horizon.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

FarmerHank posted:

I would have had no idea that you were trying to make that woman noticeable based on the focus here. In fact, I didn't see her until you mentioned it. I thought it was just a random shot of the juice isle or something.

However, don't be discouraged. Your thought process is there partially, but you need to bring it to the moment when you shoot and take that awareness to choose things like focus and composition more carefully to try to make your intent crystal clear.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Valdara posted:

This is great and interesting location, however it feels claustrophobic because of how it's cropped (landscape vs. portrait).

Also, the people in it don't add much of anything in terms of balance or contrast (and I don't mean in a color way). If they were placed a bit a way from the vertical rock, the photo could have been better balanced.

--

Saturday by geeves, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010
I like how easy it is to guess the context of this, and how I want to know what see is looking at. The harsh light helps with the context but it might just be a little too blown out. And it is a shame about the position of the pipe, although it isn;t quite growing out of here head it does cut the frame and make it feel to heavt on the left side.

---

I tried something new. Not overly happy with the result but keen to have another crack at it.

Stary Sky by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

gently caress tha hatahs, this is awesome. Although it is a little too vignetted.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Hotwax Residue posted:

I tried something new. Not overly happy with the result but keen to have another crack at it.

This is fantastic. The foreground and sunset are great themselves, but throwing in some stars was a real stellar move. Do you usually try to nail hyperfocal focusing on shots like this? I haven't had great luck with that, but feel its the only way to get everything in focus.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Falco posted:

This is fantastic. The foreground and sunset are great themselves, but throwing in some stars was a real stellar move. Do you usually try to nail hyperfocal focusing on shots like this? I haven't had great luck with that, but feel its the only way to get everything in focus.

Understand what hyperfocal focus is accomplishing and approximate it as opposed to 'nailing' it. If the scene is too dynamic for an approximation to work, chances are perfect hyperfocal technique won't help.

Look at some charts for your most-loved focal lengths and if they say 24mm @ f/11 is about 16' (just guessing--haven't looked), just focus on something about 16' away and let 'er rip. Things will turn out fine.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Tyorik posted:

Untitled by Ebola Cereal

I like the candidness, but he's obscured almost entirely by the light.

with the TS I can't seem to find a focus in the picture, my eyes are just flying around everywhere. The island in the distance, which would normally be imposing contrasted against the boats loses it's power in the frame when it's blurred - especially around it like a halo. I like the area/premise, but I don't think it was pulled off entirely here.

I really like this one, because it takes you a second to realize that it's just a watering system. It's very high key and I like that, and it's almost perfectly divided into fourths - I would say the sky could stand to be brighter (creating a light/dark/light/dark thing) but I like this one

[/quote]

Now THIS one is nice, BUT it neeeeeds to be cropped in the bottom right. You've got so much junk on the left of the frame that you don't notice the LIGHTNING BOLT(!!!) - cropping in won't make the bolt too apparent, and it'll still be a nice pin to draw your eye in.

Would have been better if the woman in the back was in focus and the foreground was out, but it's a shot that's hard to feel satisfied with (vanishing point lines shooting outside the frame) but I would focus on the colours/contrasts of items on the shelves for more visual information

Metalslug
Jul 17, 2002

...rather well, as it turned out. One night at a keg beer party I was offered a marijuana joint.
Every photo has already been commented on!

Valdara posted:

I agree with the framing comment, but you also could make this instantly better by raising the shadow level. Your subjects are lost in the dark at the moment.

What say the goons on this photo? It was taken by accident from the back of an elephant.

Village life by alangrainger, on Flickr

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Metalslug posted:

I agree with the framing comment, but you also could make this instantly better by raising the shadow level. Your subjects are lost in the dark at the moment.

In photoshop, it's about eight shades lighter, and you can actually see the people. What do I do to make the saved file from PS actually look like the file in PS? It also looks much better big. The point of the photo is the people. I saw that girl sitting there enjoying the sunshine while her dad impatiently stood behind her bored and fiddling with his phone. Maybe I'll try a different crop.

Metalslug posted:

What say the goons on this photo? It was taken by accident from the back of an elephant.

Village life by alangrainger, on Flickr

I love it for having been taken from an elephant, especially by accident. The unusual vantage point makes it much more interesting. I like the little girl in the foreground turning around and looking like there's something interesting behind her, but she isn't looking at the camera, because elephants are WAY more awesome than cameras. I almost feel like you're trying to put too much in it. You have road and near people and far people and further hills and big puffy clouds. Maybe try cropping out the hills and clouds so the focus is more on the curious little girl and the burdened woman who's ignoring anything interesting around her.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Falco posted:

I don't usually bother with hyperfocal, the distance markers on my wide angle only go to 3 feet and then infinity anyway. My normal technique is to focus about a third of third of the way into the photo which, most of the time, is close enough to setting the focus ring to infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hotwax Residue posted:

I like how easy it is to guess the context of this, and how I want to know what see is looking at. The harsh light helps with the context but it might just be a little too blown out. And it is a shame about the position of the pipe, although it isn;t quite growing out of here head it does cut the frame and make it feel to heavt on the left side.

---

Not overly happy my rear end. You have a brilliant shot. The only thing I think you can do to improve is, I don't know. Actually getting a better shot of the stars would be what you can improve.. But you need the 85L to do so.

As for your feedback:

Thank you - I agree about it being a little blown out - for me, I'd rather it be casual and blown out otherwise

That said, thank you, esp about the gutter. Situational Hazard unfortunately.