Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Kynetx posted:

I know a lot of people critical of doing the fix aren't remotely handy with tools, so that has to be taken into account.

So would you say you decided to buy a fixer-upper?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My screen was getting worse, so I opened mine up. I took the advice I saw on some Android forums and actually loosened the screws before re-tightening them (but not too tight). Doesn't appear to have completely fixed it, but I'll report back with how it is tomorrow.

Edit: Yeah, it's already rising again. How would I wipe all my data before doing an exchange?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Jerry SanDisky posted:

So would you say you decided to buy a fixer-upper?

I didn't buy an N7. Point being, if a piece of dashboard trim works itself loose, I'd rather try to snap it back into place than deal with dealer bullshit.

Try to keep in mind that few people are posting about N7s without screen lift.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Soul Glo posted:

My screen was getting worse, so I opened mine up. I took the advice I saw on some Android forums and actually loosened the screws before re-tightening them (but not too tight). Doesn't appear to have completely fixed it, but I'll report back with how it is tomorrow.

Edit: Yeah, it's already rising again. How would I wipe all my data before doing an exchange?

Settings / Backup & Reset

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about their quality on PC stuff. Just their tablets.

Also anecdotal and all that.

Their netbooks and laptops seem to have gone downhill in the past few years. My 1215b had trackpad grounding issues which I elected to fix myself (after reading some RMA horror stories), and in general stuff like keyboards and overall build quality is pretty iffy.

I've never had an issue with Asus desktop components though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ericdude posted:

It's unacceptable that people are resorting to putting books on the screen of a $200 device because the service reputation of the manufacturer is so poor.

Neatly evaded, I wanted to know why my comment - the issue is very minor & has been greatly exaggerated - was incorrect. For the record I agree, if the only reason people are fixing something themselves is the terrible service reputation, it's unacceptable, however if they are fixing something themselves because it can be done overnight rather than a couple of weeks turnaround then meh, go for it. As has been mentioned here in the UK our wonderful consumer protection laws mean if my screen explosively detaches in 11 months I can get it replaced real easily.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 7, 2012

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad about their quality on PC stuff. Just their tablets.

Also anecdotal and all that.

When I was in Australia they fixed my US TF101 for free (other than shipping) under warranty. All they asked for was pictures of the issue (splotches on the screen) and they created an RMA ticket and sent the guy over to pick it up. A week later I had a new device. Just because Americans have lovely consumer laws doesn't mean their service sucks everywhere :shobon:.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Chalk me up as another that's been using Asus PC stuff for years, with no problems (to be fair, I haven't had problems with other manufacturers either, like OCZ and Gigabyte), and when I was shopping for a laptop I specifically looked for an Asus because their review ratings were much better than Acer, Compaq, etc. I think the issues with the Nexus 7 are just from cost-cutting to meet cost guidelines or whatever from Google.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I tried the skinomi screen protector for my Nexus 7. I was as careful as I could be but I still ended up with a bubble in the middle of the screen after the screen protector had an hour or two to sit. Thing is this bubble wasn't there immediately after I got the protector on, but formed as the spray stuff you're supposed to use to apply the screen protector began to evaporate from beneath it. The directions say allow 2 to 3 days for this bubble to disappear but I'm pretty skeptical that its going anywhere.

With all that said, does anyone know of a case with a built in screen protector for the Nexus 7? I've had good luck with Otterboxes in the past but from what I can tell they don't have a Nexus 7 case on the horizon. I use my tablet a lot in portrait mode to message people so a case with a flap I think would get in the way. Any recommendations?

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
Does anybody know how to get the lockscreen to automatically rotate with orientation on the Nexus 7 with a stock rooted ROM? Mine sits on my desk in landscape at work, but I tend to use it in portrait at home. It'd be nice to not have to figure out my 8-point pattern rotated by 90 degrees.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
There are apps that will do this, however I've heard there are downsides like they always run in the background, interfere with games, etc. A different launcher will take care of this as well. Since I like to keep things stock generally I just did this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1800042

Just add the following line to the file "local.prop" located at "/data/local.prop"
If this file is missing, just create a new one. You DO need to be rooted to create or edit this file.
Use ES File Explorer, turn on Root Explorer and Mount File System in the settings.

Navigate to the folder "/data/"
Press Menu, New, File, then name it "local.prop" (without the double quotes).

Add the following line to it in the editor...
Code:

launcher.force_enable_rotation=true

Also change to Tablet UI (optional!)
If you want the full tablet UI just add the following line also to this file:
Code:

qemu.sf.lcd_density=160

The qemu.sf.lcd_density overrides the setting ro.sf.lcd_density in the "build.prop" file.

Then reboot your device.

Very simple fix. I didn't do the tabletUI one because I like the drop down on a 7" tablet and I've hear there are quirks with it.

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 7, 2012

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

OldPueblo posted:

There are apps that will do this, however I've heard there are downsides like they always run in the background, interfere with games, etc. A different launcher will take care of this as well. Since I like to keep things stock generally I just did this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1800042

Just add the following line to the file "local.prop" located at "/data/local.prop"
If this file is missing, just create a new one. You DO need to be rooted to create or edit this file.
Use ES File Explorer, turn on Root Explorer and Mount File System in the settings.

Navigate to the folder "/data/"
Press Menu, New, File, then name it "local.prop" (without the double quotes).

Add the following line to it in the editor...
Code:

launcher.force_enable_rotation=true

Also change to Tablet UI (optional!)
If you want the full tablet UI just add the following line also to this file:
Code:

qemu.sf.lcd_density=160

The qemu.sf.lcd_density overrides the setting ro.sf.lcd_density in the "build.prop" file.

Then reboot your device.

Very simple fix. I didn't do the tabletUI one because I like the drop down on a 7" tablet and I've hear there are quirks with it.

Nope, that rotates the launcher, but not the pattern unlock screen. Not tried the density setting change though - too many potential issues.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Coredump posted:

With all that said, does anyone know of a case with a built in screen protector for the Nexus 7? I've had good luck with Otterboxes in the past but from what I can tell they don't have a Nexus 7 case on the horizon. I use my tablet a lot in portrait mode to message people so a case with a flap I think would get in the way. Any recommendations?

Why do you need a screen protector? Do you work in an environment where sand is an issue?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kynetx posted:

Why do you need a screen protector? Do you work in an environment where sand is an issue?

Particles that can scratch glass are in lots of places that arn't at the beach.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Before I take my defective Nexus 7 back, what do I do to ensure someone can't get into it to use my email, banking, etc? I know to use the erase feature in the device's settings menu, but do I need to do anything through Google to dissociate the device from my Google account? I read something like that but can't find it on Google's website.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Particles that can scratch glass are in lots of places that arn't at the beach.

I guess I'm lucky. I use my TF-101 in the field daily and no scratches after 7 months.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Soul Glo posted:

Before I take my defective Nexus 7 back, what do I do to ensure someone can't get into it to use my email, banking, etc? I know to use the erase feature in the device's settings menu, but do I need to do anything through Google to dissociate the device from my Google account? I read something like that but can't find it on Google's website.

I was told more than once from the google end that you can't.

Just change your password and live with it, is what I was told. However 2-3 days after I replaced it, my stolen tablet dropped off Google Dashboard. So I don't know if they actually did eventually get around to locking/deleting it, after telling me 3 times they couldn't (and one time they could) or if it is somehow automated.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Soul Glo posted:

First, factory reset.

Second, revoke all permissions in accounts > security

Third, download the android sdk. Boot into fast boot mode and type "fastboot erase userdata"

Rumbaar
Nov 21, 2011
REJECTED FROM:
-GOONWAFFE? ☑
-GROON? ☑

IGNORE POSTS? ☑
I have a dead pixel, it's usually hidden in the bottom black button area. So only see it in side viewing of web pages, etc.

Now it's not even easy to see, or noticeable. The pain of return, I brought from store, should I be bothered or not worry. Could I see it multiplying?

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

ilkhan posted:

Use google music.

That segregates all of the wav and mp3 files into a single album which is helpful but it would be best if they weren't included in the music directory at all.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

IT Guy posted:

First, factory reset.

Second, revoke all permissions in accounts > security

Third, download the android sdk. Boot into fast boot mode and type "fastboot erase userdata"

Should we have permissions related to the Nexus 7? I don't see any; I used my regular password when logging into the N7, not an app-specific one.

scratch sack
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Kevbo posted:

That segregates all of the wav and mp3 files into a single album which is helpful but it would be best if they weren't included in the music directory at all.

Does putting a .nomedia in whatever directory fix this? Or am I mistaken?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Siroc posted:

Should we have permissions related to the Nexus 7? I don't see any; I used my regular password when logging into the N7, not an app-specific one.

It'll be called "Android Login Service — Full Account Access"

If you have multiple Android devices, good luck finding out which one is your N7.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

IT Guy posted:

It'll be called "Android Login Service — Full Account Access"

If you have multiple Android devices, good luck finding out which one is your N7.

The only repercussion to picking the wrong one though is that the device will ask you for your password again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rumbaar posted:

I have a dead pixel, it's usually hidden in the bottom black button area. So only see it in side viewing of web pages, etc.

Now it's not even easy to see, or noticeable. The pain of return, I brought from store, should I be bothered or not worry. Could I see it multiplying?

Dead pixels don't usually multiply, they're a manufacturing defect. Only you can weigh up the pain of swapping versus the pain of living with a stuck pixel.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Wooo!

I got my replacement Nexus 7 today and it is absolutely flawless regarding screen lift. I didn't have time to power it up yet to make sure there were no dead pixels or touch unresponsiveness but I believe I'm in the clear.

edit: What is everyone's opinions on these things: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/goflex-satellite/

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 8, 2012

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

IT Guy posted:

Wooo!

I got my replacement Nexus 7 today and it is absolutely flawless regarding screen lift. I didn't have time to power it up yet to make sure there were no dead pixels or touch unresponsiveness but I believe I'm in the clear.

edit: What is everyone's opinions on these things: http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/goflex-satellite/

My screen lifting started just over a week after getting it. Not to spoil your excitement, just saying :(

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

tomm posted:

My screen lifting started just over a week after getting it. Not to spoil your excitement, just saying :(

Yeah I know, my first one started out good too. I probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

IT Guy posted:

Wooo!

Those work fine, but if you're rooted you can download "stickmount" from the play store, buy a $2 USB OTG cable and connect thumb drives directly to the tablet. It works well and you can use the $200 you save to buy another nexus 7.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I guess I should wait a month or so before getting one and hope the screen thing is fixed by then. Not like I have a choice anyway because the drat thing is sold out nation wide in Canada.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

keyframe posted:

I guess I should wait a month or so before getting one and hope the screen thing is fixed by then. Not like I have a choice anyway because the drat thing is sold out nation wide in Canada.

I'm thinking this is a good idea. Plenty of time on the warranty and I bought mine in-store in Carphone Warehouse.

Although, when I bought mine, I called up in the morning and they said call back in a few hours when they get their stock delivery. So I did, and he said "Yeah we have one, I'll put it to one side for you". Thought I was really lucky, asked the guy how well they were selling (as I got the last one, or so I thought) and he said that was the only one they got in stock. What's with that? Seems silly to only get one. It's not a huge store to be fair but it's right next to a Currys/PC World that was sold out of them. Hmm.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Saw this today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/08/elecom_nfc_android_keyboard/

Basically a silicon keyboard that uses NFC instead of bluetooth/wireless/usb. This one is kind of a non starter for me since the battery can't be replaced and I'm not a fan of flexible keyboards anyway. But I was wondering, are there advantages to using NFC? Is it better on battery life than bluetooth? Is the connection better/more stable?

The reason I'm interested is that I like Android but I hate onscreen keyboards.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Saw this today:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/08/elecom_nfc_android_keyboard/

Basically a silicon keyboard that uses NFC instead of bluetooth/wireless/usb. This one is kind of a non starter for me since the battery can't be replaced and I'm not a fan of flexible keyboards anyway. But I was wondering, are there advantages to using NFC? Is it better on battery life than bluetooth? Is the connection better/more stable?

The reason I'm interested is that I like Android but I hate onscreen keyboards.

NFC has lower power usage than normal Bluetooth, although similar to the special low-power Bluetooth. The other difference is that you don't have to pair devices, because of the very short range it will just automatically pair and start working.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm glad I checked this thread. It always sucks when promising devices start out with these large defects. Has Asus acknowledged the issue or said anything about it? I was planning on grabbing one in a few months, as my Xoom's battery is starting to show its age.

On a slightly different topic, I use my Xoom quite a bit for comics, and I feel like I will miss the larger screen. Can anyone who's made the switch from 10" to the N7 report their comic reading experience? I hate having to pinch and drag around to read the damned panels.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Asus and co haven't said anything, but if you're waiting a couple months I'm sure it'll either be ironed out or we'll know pretty well if its a continuing issue.

The comics thing came up earlier and some people seemed to think it was ok if you went panel by panel instead of full page. Depending on how good your eyes are full screen might work.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like waiting for the inevitable 10" may be wise. $300 would be the perfect price point for a product like that. The omission of HDMI and even an SD card aren't that big of a deal since anything I would use HDMI for (netflix) I can already do with my Wii or my laptop, and you can use the on board storage to turn the thing into a big thumb drive. I can't remember the last time I took the microSD out of my Xoom.

I'm wondering if Asus is going to just drop its Transformer line and start pumping out Nexuses (Nexii?) full time.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

JesusDoesVegas posted:

Sounds like waiting for the inevitable 10" may be wise. $300 would be the perfect price point for a product like that.

I'd have said the same before I got my N7. A 10" tablet seems way too big now, iPad's look really unwieldy next to the Nexus, I love the size of this thing.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I'd have said the same before I got my N7. A 10" tablet seems way too big now, iPad's look really unwieldy next to the Nexus, I love the size of this thing.

Coming from an iPad 3 (and 2, and original) I agree. This thing is the perfect size for a tablet since I'm doing 100% consumption and no creation.

A 10" convertible like the Transformer is better suited if you're going to do word processing or other productivity-related stuff, but I think that's a relatively small segment of the tablet market. I think that's where Windows 8 is going to shine.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Whats the availability of the 8gb nexus 7? Ive been looking around and it seems like its hard to find in stores. Is the google play store pretty much the only source? I usually buy my computer junk on amazon or newegg and they don't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

JesusDoesVegas posted:

On a slightly different topic, I use my Xoom quite a bit for comics, and I feel like I will miss the larger screen. Can anyone who's made the switch from 10" to the N7 report their comic reading experience? I hate having to pinch and drag around to read the damned panels.
I have an iPad 2, a Transformer Infinity (10.1" Android, 16:10 ratio) and a 7" Jelly Bean tablet and I never reach for anything but the Infinity to read comics.

The 4:3 iPad screen is too wide and the wrong shape, and the 7" screen is not nearly big enough for full page comic reading. If you really want to read comics on the 7" just turn it sideways, fit to width and scroll up/down.