Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

When I was a wee lad I couldn't pass the third mission in Rogue Squadron for the N64 for the longest time, something about rescuing a crashed ship called the Nonnah. After that it was smooth sailing...until Fest. :suicide: Seriously, why does the Rebel Alliance absolutely need three dinky little AT-PTs?!
gently caress Fest, and gently caress you for reminding me of it. Fest is the only mission in the entire game that I could never get more than a Silver on. I've never met anyone else who could do better than that, either. I'm not convinced it's actually possible without cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Flagrant Abuse posted:

gently caress Fest, and gently caress you for reminding me of it. Fest is the only mission in the entire game that I could never get more than a Silver on. I've never met anyone else who could do better than that, either. I'm not convinced it's actually possible without cheating.

drat, that brings back some frustrating memories. The only mission I found worse than that was Sullust, which had you in a horrifically slow Y-Wing in a level full of missiile turrrets constantly pelting you. At least with Fest the difficulty came from predictable waves of bombers coming in that you had too destroy. There may have been no margin for error, but it was clear what needed to be done. Sullust just seemed down to random chance if a hail of misssiles would suddenly destroy you.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kirtan posted:

I was always a big fan of the V-Wing. I don't know how far they made it into canon beyond the first Rogue Squadron game, but hitting the scram jets and blasting off a few homing cluster missiles was godly.

The V-Wing came from the Dark Empire comics (which inspired the level in Rogue Squadron).

Consequently, this makes you a bad person for liking it.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Thwomp posted:

The V-Wing came from the Dark Empire comics (which inspired the level in Rogue Squadron).

noooooooooooooooooo I am the worst

I never actually read any of the comics aside from a few of the Legacy series. I hear they're dreadful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Corellia level best level. I dare you to prove me otherwise.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kirtan posted:

noooooooooooooooooo I am the worst

I never actually read any of the comics aside from a few of the Legacy series. I hear they're dreadful.

It really depends. There are some really great ones, some really terrible ones, and a lot of mediocre ones. Even Dark Empire can get a lot of commentary from either end of the spectrum.

Agent of the Empire and Dawn of the Jedi are probably the best of the current crop. Republic and the X-Wing series are probably some of the best of the oldies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bespin.

(And c'mon, who DIDN'T fly around the entire time destroying all the bacta canisters?)

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

It really depends. There are some really great ones, some really terrible ones, and a lot of mediocre ones. Even Dark Empire can get a lot of commentary from either end of the spectrum.

Agent of the Empire and Dawn of the Jedi are probably the best of the current crop. Republic and the X-Wing series are probably some of the best of the oldies.

Interestingly enough, all three of Legacy, Agent of the Empire and Dawn of the Jedi are written by the same guy: John Ostrander. And I agree, they're all fantastic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ostrander also wrote a lot of the stories in Republic. I'm pretty sure he wrote more or less all of the Clone Wars stories.

I think Republic was meant to be a kind of anthology series when it started. It's a trifle odd reading the early issues where Ki-Adi-Mundi is the main character when you realise how much Quinlan Vos ended up stealing the spotlight.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I quite enjoyed the mission where Luke and two other Y-Wings just casually bombed the poo poo out of an entire Imperial Installation.

Also, always cracked me up picking Airspeeder and seeing the thing casually lift off from the hanger and fly into space.

That is technically the Star Wars version of a car with guns on the front after all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

I quite enjoyed the mission where Luke and two other Y-Wings just casually bombed the poo poo out of an entire Imperial Installation.

Also, always cracked me up picking Airspeeder and seeing the thing casually lift off from the hanger and fly into space.

That is technically the Star Wars version of a car with guns on the front after all.

No, this is the Star Wars version of a car with guns on the front.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nobody told me pausing with that thing broke the game, and I always seemed to loving do it when I used it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Jesus gently caress, why is that article so long and detailed over a clear easter egg? :psyduck:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

Jesus gently caress, why is that article so long and detailed over a clear easter egg? :psyduck:

It is Wookieepedia, that is why.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Assault on Kile II was my favorite (and most-played) mission. It got to the point where I could blow up the whole spaceport *and* manage to fly back and personally see Wedge get shot down, followed by the cutscene actually showing it. Also, if you're not using the ion cannon to shoot down both of the escaping imperial shuttles, you're doing it wrong. Y-wings rule! :D

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
I wish I could buy back my old copy of RS. I legitimately earned Golds on all missions, and I was always proud of that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thwomp posted:

Without Dark Empire, though, we would never have known that Palpatine was actually David Bowie :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Without Dark Empire, though, we would never have known that Palpatine was actually David Bowie :colbert:

I was going to say, "Imagine if they got David Bowie to play Palpatine in the prequels", especially since he already had the Lucas connection with Labyrinth, but really as it is Ian McDiarmid was one of the few great aspects of the prequels.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I finally picked up Apocalypse and burned through it in two days.

I can't believe I waited months for this pile of crap. Nothing is resolved, nothing terribly spectacular happens, nobody interesting buys the farm. What a waste of time and money.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I once vowed to own at least one copy of every paperback novel released in the Star Wars EU. I am currently achieving that goal, with the only novels I'm missing are the ones that are still only available in hardback.

However, after finishing Apocalypse and hearing about Crucible, I can't help but imagine all the wondrous things I could have bought with the money I've spent on this collection. Now I don't know if I should keep it up out of sheer principle, or tuck my shame away in the closet.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Esroc posted:

I once vowed to own at least one copy of every paperback novel released in the Star Wars EU. I am currently achieving that goal, with the only novels I'm missing are the ones that are still only available in hardback.

However, after finishing Apocalypse and hearing about Crucible, I can't help but imagine all the wondrous things I could have bought with the money I've spent on this collection. Now I don't know if I should keep it up out of sheer principle, or tuck my shame away in the closet.

Bonfire, dude. Nothing beats an old-fashioned book burning.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So Mercy Kill is out. I was entertained by it. Such a nice change of pace from the rest of the modern EU.

And maybe we can get some more new Wraith books now!

It also comes with a 1 chapter preview of Zahn's new book, Scoundrels. I didn't read that though.

edit: Also, if you are just getting into the EU and have a kindle, Amazon is selling the original 9 X-Wing books in one package for 20% off. http://www.amazon.com/The-X-Wing-Series-Starfighters-ebook/dp/B008C87QZY/ref=pd_ys_ir_kstore_42

astr0man fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 10, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

astr0man posted:

edit: Also, if you are just getting into the EU and have a kindle, Amazon is selling the original 9 X-Wing books in one package for 20% off. http://www.amazon.com/The-X-Wing-Series-Starfighters-ebook/dp/B008C87QZY/ref=pd_ys_ir_kstore_42

Crap, I already bought the Wraith Squadron books.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm only about 5 chapters in to Mercy Kill so far, but it's already managed to surprise and impress me. I was not expecting to see a Vong turn up, and as part of the Wraiths no less. That's one thing that I really think has been criminally underused since NJO wrapped up; there's a crapload of Vong still here in our galaxy, including the Shamed Ones/Extolled who probably love the poo poo out of the New Republic/Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. One day I really want to see the tension between the Vong Remnant and the GFFA in more detail. Hell, do a trilogy using the Vong Remnant in the same way the old Bantam books used the Imperial Remnant

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jivjov posted:

I'm only about 5 chapters in to Mercy Kill so far, but it's already managed to surprise and impress me. I was not expecting to see a Vong turn up, and as part of the Wraiths no less. That's one thing that I really think has been criminally underused since NJO wrapped up; there's a crapload of Vong still here in our galaxy, including the Shamed Ones/Extolled who probably love the poo poo out of the New Republic/Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. One day I really want to see the tension between the Vong Remnant and the GFFA in more detail. Hell, do a trilogy using the Vong Remnant in the same way the old Bantam books used the Imperial Remnant

They're used as part of the kick-off in the Legacy comics--i.e. the Sith sabotage the Vong planetforming that the Jedi are sponsoring to rehabilitate devastated worlds, then the Sith back the new Empire in reconquering the galaxy.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
I have long sort of half-assed around with a timeline project, in which I read the Star Wars EU and make notes about it in a kind of fractured way. The original idea was chronological, but that's essentially impossible with the way things come out, so I now have dozens of little sort-of summaries, sort-of reviews cluttering up my computer. I've posted occasionally in the Let Us Read Terrible Star Wars Books thread, but some of my little write-ups aren't really funny enough (or the source material just isn't stupid enough) to post in there.

For example, here's one I just wrote a few days ago after I pulled out Visionaries again (mistake, I know).

25,783 BBY

So, Visionaries . . . I've talked a bit about Visionaries before when I reviewed Prototypes, the ridiculous story about Durge, and the story about Dooku creating Grievous, which it seems was called The Eyes of Vengeance or something. My memory is patchy about Visionaries, which is somewhat merciful, I think (though I did like the Dooku story and the Maul/Obi-Wan story; nothing else was really worth the paper it was printed on, but whatever; concept artists gotta eat too, you know!).

So, I pulled out my copy of it again and took a look at The Fourth Precept. This story can be summarized very briefly. Over six pages of stunning visuals, two figures have a lightsaber fight in space, the heart of the earth, maybe some other places, I dunno, before ending up poised together, their bodies perfectly balanced against each other.

In other words, you might want to load up on the :shroom: before you start this one.

Ok, so let’s plumb the text here. Well, the story is completely dialogue free, but the title gives a clue. The Fourth Precept would be, I am assuming, a reference to the Jedi Code, of which the fourth precept is “There is no death, there is the Force.”

WELL OKAY ACTUALLY THAT WAS NO HELP AT ALL.

So, here’s something that I found really amusing about this one in a meta way. I am using three timelines in conjunction on this project and while there are certainly moments where the timelines disagree with each other, there is surely no story about which the three timelines are as violently divided as they are on this one.

In my “baseline” timeline, or the default one, Rob Mullins places this story at 25,783 years before A New Hope. He calls it, in a note on the entry, “A surreal amalgamation of images,” which works for me. He then states that he believes it to be a mythological telling of the foundations of the Jedi religion, which is why he places it here. He sees it, then, as a myth about how the Jedi order began and, since we don’t really have any serious information about that beginning yet, we place this story here as the best representation yet. Okay, I suppose in some ways this works; the story ends with the opposing figures in balance with each other, so I suppose the rationale is that the moment when the Jedi Order began was the moment when balance and order came to a disordered and chaotic galaxy.

Joe Bongiorno over at The Star Wars Expanded Universe Timeline, on the other hand, places it at the very, very end of his timeline, just before a batch of public service announcements released in the late seventies to tie in with the movies, released, that is, in this galaxy, where Artoo and Threepio had apparently stumbled. So, here’s the question, and I may be putting words in his mouth a bit, but it appears to me that Joe’s perspective seems to be that the story is some sort of apocalypse. It comes after Storyteller, by far the oldest story in the GFFA, and just prior to the beginning of Star Wars bleeding over into our own galaxy. Is The Fourth Precept about the apocalypse that ends the Galaxy Far Far Away? Evidence in support of this? Well, the fourth precept, which gives this story its title is about death and how the Force survives even death. Is this about how even in the death of a galaxy, the Force remains in balance?

DinoJim splits the difference over at this Star Wars Timeline Checklist. He puts the story in a separate list from his main timeline and labels it Infinities.

So, this is either a creation myth of the Jedi order, the story of the apocalypse of the GFFA or it didn’t actually happen at all. Frankly, I’m going with the third option.

I mean, okay, I’m not going to be a total grump. I will admit that the art is quite spectacular. But this is a story that forces you to ask if pictures, completely devoid of narrative context or emotional resonance, is enough for you. I say no. Your mileage may vary.

˝ out of **** stars.

Stephen Martinire

Dunno if anybody in here will be interested in these kinds of short write-ups or not. I can guarandamntee that no one anywhere else will be though, so I thought I'd try putting on here.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

jivjov posted:

Please tell me it's available in paperback. I really can't afford hardcover right now. :(

Ugh I might have to actually get a library card.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Please tell me it's available in paperback. I really can't afford hardcover right now. :(

Ugh I might have to actually get a library card.

Time to e-book it to Amazon.com.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
It's also at the iBook store! $13.99.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been replaying KOTOR 2, and it got me wondering about the Revan book. I looked it up on Wookiepedia, and holy poo poo it sounds terrible. Has anyone read it, and is it as bad as it sounds? Inquiring minds need to know.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

cptn_dr posted:

I've been replaying KOTOR 2, and it got me wondering about the Revan book. I looked it up on Wookiepedia, and holy poo poo it sounds terrible. Has anyone read it, and is it as bad as it sounds? Inquiring minds need to know.

Well, I haven't read it, but I know that it bridges the game between the KoToR series and Revan becoming a mid-level boss in TOR. So it's as bad as, if not worse than, it sounds.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

Well, I haven't read it, but I know that it bridges the game between the KoToR series and Revan becoming a mid-level boss in TOR. So it's as bad as, if not worse than, it sounds.

Holy loving poo poo, that sounds awful, like worse than everything but the very bottom of the EU barrel. I'm almost tempted to try and find it in my library just to see how bad it could be.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Pththya-lyi posted:

Holy gently caress. I knew there was a reason I didn't play TOR or read the book. loving hell. Why couldn't we get an Obsidian written KOTOR 3 instead?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
I read Revan and I enjoyed it. The best of the three SWTOR books IMO. Fatal Alliance was one of the worst books I've read from the EU, but Deceived was good, if a bit short. Revan connects KOTOR 1, 2 and SWTOR (specifically the Jedi Knight storyline). There's some closure in there about the KOTOR series, but very little closure in terms of the storyline of the Revan novel itself. It's more like a direct prequel to the Jedi Knight TOR story, and you will get so much more out of the book if you go on to play that. If you don't care about playing TOR (it'll be f2p in a couple of months), then look up the cutscenes on youtube or something, because it's really the second half of one continuous story.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Revan was actually pretty drat decent not great mind you but at least "good" when it comes to the EU. As for the boss Reven in ToR last I knew it was just some one who thought/pretended they were Reven

Edit. Glad I randomly checked this thread I forgot all about mercy kill.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 12, 2012

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
The thread reminded me of Mercy Kill, and thank god because drat is it good.

Super happy with:
1. Graduating Wraith members instead of keeping the originals hanging around forever like Luke&co
2. Actually using the Vong in a story
3. Having the main character not only not a human male, but a gamorrean

If only all the EU took writing tips from these guys. :allears:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

The thread reminded me of Mercy Kill, and thank god because drat is it good.

Super happy with:
1. Graduating Wraith members instead of keeping the originals hanging around forever like Luke&co
2. Actually using the Vong in a story
3. Having the main character not only not a human male, but a gamorrean

If only all the EU took writing tips from these guys. :allears:
Wait, Piggy's the main character? Man, I really didn't want to pick this up but I think I have to now :allears:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I seriously don't want to reward Allston for having taken part in LotF and FotJ but on the other hand, reward Allston for ditching that poo poo and writing Wraith Squadron again????

UGHHHHH so conflicted.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

api call girl posted:

I seriously don't want to reward Allston for having taken part in LotF and FotJ but on the other hand, reward Allston for ditching that poo poo and writing Wraith Squadron again????

UGHHHHH so conflicted.

Well if you feel that strongly about his LotF and FotJ books, pass on those and just buy his excellent X-wing novels. I've been taking my time reading Mercy Kill and it's been fantastic so far. I wish Wedge was in it, but other than that it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Well if you feel that strongly about his LotF and FotJ books, pass on those and just buy his excellent X-wing novels. I've been taking my time reading Mercy Kill and it's been fantastic so far. I wish Wedge was in it, but other than that it's been great.

More like, set LotF on fire and never buy another Star Wars book. (I actually haven't bought a FotJ book past Outcast)