Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Phyresis posted:

TOs ban FW as a knee-jerk reaction, it's just assumed that FW is OP because everyone says FW is OP. Because everyone says FW is OP.

Totally. Especially since no one has ever seen the stats of any forgeworld model, and everyone in the world is too stupid to simply compare them to equivalent GW regular models. It's totally just an assumption that people make without evidence of any kind.

PeterWeller posted:

But on the prehensile tail, the entire Eldar Corsairs army list.

I'm sure it's just a joke, but saying "hey it's balanced to allow in OP poo poo that lots of players will abuse because we'll also let in ridiculously poorly designed useless poo poo that no one will use" doesn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Ok bro. Tell me what Forgeworld units would have any sort of impact on 40k whatsoever. Show me a list that's too strong because of Forgeworld. Where is this evidence that you sarcastically insist exists?

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007
Speaking of Forge World, is it still just the Tomb Stalker (awesome model) and Pylon (no interest) for Necrons? I heard rumors of upcoming stuff for them and then didn't see anything else on it.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

205 points for a 2 Wound ML3 Librarian who can take all the spells from not Divination (nor Telepathy but who cares), with the good 2++ power. I don't see how he's overpowered. I don't really even see a good way to use him in a C:SM army, assault termies don't really need the help. Did I mention that he can't take Divination?

I challenge someone to break him. He's just a pimp Librarian.

e: lol it might as well be called Divinity.

He gets all the biomancy powers.

All of them.

Alongside a 2++ save always, because he doesn't even need to roll for it. He just uses up a warp charge.

So he gets his S4+D3 and T4+D3 and 2++ for combat and either gives his terminators FNP (which they very much like) or the enemy Enfeeble (which is great for everyone else in the army). Or he can pretend to be Mephiston and attack a unit on his own; he can pull it off.

He's also ML3 so his psychic hood gives friendlies a +4 deny the witch against pretty much every psyker.

Phyresis posted:

Ok bro. Tell me what Forgeworld units would have any sort of impact on 40k whatsoever. Show me a list that's too strong because of Forgeworld. Where is this evidence that you sarcastically insist exists?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/k/kreig.pdf

Read up on the hades breaching drill.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 8, 2012

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

poo poo, not my job. All I'm saying is that TOs are within their rights to ban stuff they want to ban, and that calling it knee-jerk and based on hearsay is wrong. I don't generally see people haul out the FW stuff around my store, but any time I see a TO announce that FW is okay, I always see posts on the forum of "Heh heh, I'll just be polishing up X".

(Let X = Sevrin Loth, Hades Breaching Drills, Caestus Rams, that ludicrous landraider variant, the drop pod for dreadnoughts, etc.).

What I never see is people saying "oh sweet finally, an opportunity to run my corsairs, or my blight drones, or my kroot dinosaur rider guys," etc. It's always a core sample of a few units that are widely considered to be overdone, and generally in armies that didn't really need the extra help in the meta all that much.

As for where the evidence exists, I'm fairly sure you can buy the IA books online.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

And it's still 10 all around? I guess that cements I won't get one for my Valhallans, since my HS slots are so clogged up with artillery.

11 Front and Side, 10 in rear - 3 HP

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Shosuro posted:

Speaking of Forge World, is it still just the Tomb Stalker (awesome model) and Pylon (no interest) for Necrons? I heard rumors of upcoming stuff for them and then didn't see anything else on it.

Nothing new yet - but it is coming. I think we will start to see it in Nov/Dec is my guess.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
So you can swap more powers than you have mastery level? Why isn't Njal considered as broken too?

I'll grant you there are IA items that are not balanced, but there are codices that aren't balanced either. Outdated codices benefit from allies, why not IA? If I was still playing Tau - would that break the game to take models that compete better in the new edition?

Some models are just cool, some are going to be abused, and some are near useless - how is that significantly different than what is official?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Nephilm posted:

He gets all the biomancy powers.

All of them.

Alongside a 2++ save always, because he doesn't even need to roll for it. He just uses up a warp charge.

So he gets his S4+D3 and T4+D3 and 2++ for combat and either gives his terminators FNP (which they very much like) or the enemy Enfeeble (which is great for everyone else in the army). Or he can pretend to be Mephiston and attack a unit on his own; he can pull it off.

He's also ML3 so his psychic hood gives friendlies a +4 deny the witch against pretty much every psyker.

And this is better than another 5 Assault Terminators how? Deny the witch is hardly relevant, the best powers are not offensive.

Nephilm posted:

Read up on the hades breaching drill.

Ok cool, so you're playing Kreig and you have a bunch of Engineers in reserve in HBDs. 2/3 will deviate all over the place, ending up who knows where. Why would I put any of my vehicles within 5" of each other? Krieg lack some of the good options of Codex IG, and sure, you can ally IG or whatever but now you're paying the HQ tax in order to bring a Vendetta. I guess you can ally Krieg with an army with flyers and pay HQ tax in order to get 2 HBDs but I'm failing to see how this breaks the game.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 9, 2012

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

theironjef posted:

poo poo, not my job. All I'm saying is that TOs are within their rights to ban stuff they want to ban, and that calling it knee-jerk and based on hearsay is wrong. I don't generally see people haul out the FW stuff around my store, but any time I see a TO announce that FW is okay, I always see posts on the forum of "Heh heh, I'll just be polishing up X".

(Let X = Sevrin Loth, Hades Breaching Drills, Caestus Rams, that ludicrous landraider variant, the drop pod for dreadnoughts, etc.).

What I never see is people saying "oh sweet finally, an opportunity to run my corsairs, or my blight drones, or my kroot dinosaur rider guys," etc. It's always a core sample of a few units that are widely considered to be overdone, and generally in armies that didn't really need the extra help in the meta all that much.

As for where the evidence exists, I'm fairly sure you can buy the IA books online.

I know PLENTY of people excited about that Corsairs list. What? Eldar with BS4? Nice.

The other thing to take into account is that your OPPONENT is ALSO playing with FW rules... just a thought.

Tournament players are primarily focused on bringing the toughest and best units and combination of units they can bring. So of COURSE you see those conversations. I would also add that if you are just going on heresay and what people are stating will happen... actually PLAY the stuff and see for yourself (Proxy it to see).

The game is blown wide open now with allies and other stuff - just go for it.

Bay Area Open is allowing Forge World units going forward. I applaud them for this decision.

(EDITED - Sorry meant Bay Area Open not Nova Open - corrected)

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 9, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Related to Forgeworld, and the perennial subject that is me whining about things, if you're pinning a Forgeworld model, it might be worth your while to leave it sitting overnight to drain in case by some rare miracle you pierced a pocket of uncured resin.

It seems to be very rare, but at the moment I'm looking at a £100 model I spent weeks painting, that over two years has without me noticing started to cover itself in a sticky goop that strips paint and melts plasticard.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Phyresis posted:

And this is better than another 5 Assault Terminators how? Deny the witch is hardly relevant, the best powers are not offensive.

He's an HQ, isn't he?

quote:

Why would I put any of my vehicles within 5" of each other?

Not even 48 hours earlier...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Related to Forgeworld, and the perennial subject that is me whining about things, if you're pinning a Forgeworld model, it might be worth your while to leave it sitting overnight to drain in case by some rare miracle you pierced a pocket of uncured resin.

It seems to be very rare, but at the moment I'm looking at a £100 model I spent weeks painting, that over two years has without me noticing started to cover itself in a sticky goop that strips paint and melts plasticard.

WHOA! I have never heard of that! That's crazy.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Fix posted:

He's an HQ, isn't he?

Yeah, he's an HQ so he's probably being taken instead of a regular Librarian (likely giving up Lysander because that is just way too many points on 2 ICs). He's pretty good in a challenge (as long as your opponent doesn't have real psychic defenses), like Lysander, but he doesn't have Eternal Warrior and he only has 2W.

I don't even know what happens if an HBD lands on there so I don't know how to reply to this. Do the tanks get pushed off of the platform? Does it count as a shooting attack? Also why would I stick more than one thing up there if I knew my opponent was bringing HBDs?

You guys do realize you are playing Codex: Space Marines and Death Korps of Krieg respectively in order to use these, right?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Allies, baby!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Phyresis posted:

You guys do realize you are playing Codex: Space Marines and Death Korps of Krieg respectively in order to use these, right?

Nope! The guard codex can take it, just they take vets instead of engineers.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Phyresis posted:

And this is better than another 5 Assault Terminators how?

Because those 5 assault terminators don't cover your HQ tax.

Phyresis posted:

I guess you can ally Krieg with an army with flyers and pay HQ tax in order to get 2 HBDs but I'm failing to see how this breaks the game.

The HBDs aren't just okay by themselves, they can also come with one of the only two units that can assault after coming out of reserves.

Also:

Saalkin posted:

And,

Phyresis posted:

but he doesn't have Eternal Warrior
But he does, Iron Arm gives it to you. +D3 S, +D3 T and Eternal Warrior, that's what it does. In a pinch he can also use Life Leech to regain one of his wounds, before charging.

Nephilm fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 9, 2012

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Saalkin posted:

Sweet, I didn't even realize that had changed in IAA2. Time to hide a CCS in a corner so that I don't lose on turn 1.

e: NM, you can only take one. :qq: Back to not being OP.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

kannonfodder posted:

Are corsairs crap? That sucks. My buddy has an Eldar army he's been losing interest in lately, and I was thinking of buying him some corsairs to get him back into that army.

They're not crap (I personally think they're awesome and want to eventually build a force to go with my CE and DE), but they are pretty drat expensive for what are basically BS4 guardians with some cool wargear options.

theironjef posted:

I'm sure it's just a joke, but saying "hey it's balanced to allow in OP poo poo that lots of players will abuse because we'll also let in ridiculously poorly designed useless poo poo that no one will use" doesn't really work.

I was joking, and you're right, but it's not really an issue of balance. As others have noted 40K isn't really well balanced to begin with, and the people who want to abuse OP poo poo have a ton of options in the core codices already.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

WHOA! I have never heard of that! That's crazy.

Imagine my pleasure when I discovered that it had glued itself to the glass shelf in my display cabinet.

FW confirmed it's badly mixed resin and said the only thing to do is let it drain. I'm thinking about ringing them again tomorrow and seeing if they will let me hand it in at my local GW for a replacement.
I don't really have any hope that they will because I bought the kit about three years ago. In fact I'm sure they'll say no. But at the moment I'm feeling pretty gutted that I paid £100 for something that is leaking poo poo all over itself through no fault of mine, and which at best will be an arseache to fix, but will more likely break in the cleanup process. Even in a best case scenario I'm going to have to rebase and repaint it. So all in all, I'd rather just have a fresh kit.

I'm QQing about manbaby toys basically.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Imagine my pleasure when I discovered that it had glued itself to the glass shelf in my display cabinet.

FW confirmed it's badly mixed resin and said the only thing to do is let it drain. I'm thinking about ringing them again tomorrow and seeing if they will let me hand it in at my local GW for a replacement.
I don't really have any hope that they will because I bought the kit about three years ago. In fact I'm sure they'll say no. But at the moment I'm feeling pretty gutted that I paid £100 for something that is leaking poo poo all over itself through no fault of mine, and which at best will be an arseache to fix, but will more likely break in the cleanup process. Even in a best case scenario I'm going to have to rebase and repaint it. So all in all, I'd rather just have a fresh kit.

I'm QQing about manbaby toys basically.

It's a long shot but you never know unless you ask. I would call FW directly and give them the sob story... really milk it!

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

PeterWeller posted:

I was joking, and you're right, but it's not really an issue of balance. As others have noted 40K isn't really well balanced to begin with, and the people who want to abuse OP poo poo have a ton of options in the core codices already.

I meant to say this very thing but forgot. Everything falls within the same range of awful-awesome that Codex units do. The rock-scissors-paper nature of lists and weaponry have a far larger effect on the outcome of games. If you bring a buttload of anti-tank and your opponent brings a foot horde, you're going to struggle more than if you packed blast templates. So on and so forth.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played half a game with Beer4thebeergod, his orks against my necrons. Although we didn't get very far, I learned a lesson: don't get charged by 20 boys.

End of story!

e: Also my immortal gunless night scythe with 1hp remaining

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Played half a game with Beer4thebeergod, his orks against my necrons. Although we didn't get very far, I learned a lesson: don't get charged by 20 boys.

End of story!

Well in your defense you DID fail a LD 8 check. Law of averages said you should have made that check and survived long enough to deep strike away and get assaulted by something else later on.

quote:

e: Also my immortal gunless night scythe with 1hp remaining

So many jinks. So. Many. Jinks. By the end of the game I was much more interested in plastering that thing across the battlefield than capturing objectives or anything.

Also I got First Blood, therefore by 6th edition rules I won.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

orks against necrons. Although we didn't get very far, I learned a lesson: don't get charged by 20 boys.

End of story!

My C'tan shard killed 30 boys and a Deff Dread by himself :getin:

(Gaze of Death is pretty cool.)

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I'm having a lot of trouble killing flyers as a tyranid, does anyone have any recommendations? An aegis gun has had some effect but I don't have any other units that can take out fliers, including my winged tyrant. In a month, I have yet to actually kill a single flier, only whittle off a hull point or two, and it's pretty clear I'm not bringing something I should be.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mmj posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble killing flyers as a tyranid, does anyone have any recommendations? An aegis gun has had some effect but I don't have any other units that can take out fliers, including my winged tyrant. In a month, I have yet to actually kill a single flier, only whittle off a hull point or two, and it's pretty clear I'm not bringing something I should be.

Your options are pretty limited now, but the rumor mill indicates Tyranids should be getting something extra fairly soon.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

mmj posted:

Twin-Linked Devourers w/ Brainleech Worms on winged Hive Tyrants are about the best choice. If you can position them to get rear-armour hits, you should be able to get about 4 Strength 6 hits on average.

You can also give your Tryant the Old Adversary upgrade to give all your shooting units (Hive Guard) Preferred Enemy to re-roll 1's, but that's pretty expensive for a really lovely simulation of twin-linking.

Aegis Defense may be ever worse than you think, if you read the ruling about it in the Tyranids FAQ that none of your units can man the gun. And if you don't man the gun, it automatically shoots the nearest unit with a BS of 2. So yeah,

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I've been trying to bring DE allies with my Eldar for a lame awesome fluffy army

I've been using a raider full of kabalites and an archon as an HQ choice just to unlock a heavy support slot and use a razorwing.

The razorwing is kickin rad, but I'm not too sold on the boat full of warriors. I don't really know what I should be bringing to compliment my army. I'm not too familiar with the DE codex, wyches seem ok. Maybe some DE goons can comment.

e: i guess i should mention I play against guard most of the time.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Discospawn posted:

Aegis Defense may be ever worse than you think, if you read the ruling about it in the Tyranids FAQ that none of your units can man the gun. And if you don't man the gun, it automatically shoots the nearest unit with a BS of 2. So yeah,

I heard people had come to the conclusion that tyranids could man weapon emplacements (quad gun, icarus lascannon, etc) but not the emplaced weapons (heavy bolters and others that aren't the main cannons). It might just be that the people near me realized how retarded it was to keep tyranids from manning the big guns when they have nothing else.

As for getting to the rear armor of a flyer, winged tyrants are just as bad at maneuvering as fliers unless they land, in which case they have to snapshot

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

mmj posted:

I heard people had come to the conclusion that tyranids could man weapon emplacements (quad gun, icarus lascannon, etc) but not the emplaced weapons (heavy bolters and others that aren't the main cannons). It might just be that the people near me realized how retarded it was to keep tyranids from manning the big guns when they have nothing else.

As for getting to the rear armor of a flyer, winged tyrants are just as bad at maneuvering as fliers unless they land, in which case they have to snapshot

They hafto snapshot anyways, unless there's some magic errata floating around. Flying MCs not getting skyfire is the dumbest thing.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Hixson posted:

I've been trying to bring DE allies with my Eldar for a lame awesome fluffy army

I've been using a raider full of kabalites and an archon as an HQ choice just to unlock a heavy support slot and use a razorwing.

The razorwing is kickin rad, but I'm not too sold on the boat full of warriors. I don't really know what I should be bringing to compliment my army. I'm not too familiar with the DE codex, wyches seem ok. Maybe some DE goons can comment.

e: i guess i should mention I play against guard most of the time.

DE have awful troops, so it's hard to get something too cost effective. A Haemonculous and a pair of Wracks with Venoms isn't too horrible but since when do Craftworlders have a problem with anti-infantry? Maybe give them Raiders for two relatively cheap and durable troop choices with Dark Lances? Unfortunately the Haemonculous can't really have any good wargear that pairs well with a Craftworld squad.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thinking about coming back to the hobby. All I own still are Deathwing/DA, and Black Templars. I hate Deathwing/DA and BT are bad as I understand. I want to start Tau. Opinions? Are they good?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Tau are pretty much the worst army out there right now, and the competitive (compared to the really bad Tau) lists with lots of Crisis Suits and Broadsides are uber-expensive. And it's likely that in a year, they'll get a new codex that makes those expensive models not as good as the newer, cooler models.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

If you need to play RIGHT NOW, play your Deathwing and learn how the edition works. Build up Tau in terms of stuff you want to paint or think is cool and don't worry about competitiveness because Infinite Karma is bang on and it will all be changing sooner rather than later.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Play Deathwing with a small Tau detachment. Build up the tau detachment until you are playing Tau with a small Deathwing detachment.

Rake in the profits somehow.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Infinite Karma posted:

Tau are pretty much the worst army out there right now, and the competitive (compared to the really bad Tau) lists with lots of Crisis Suits and Broadsides are uber-expensive. And it's likely that in a year, they'll get a new codex that makes those expensive models not as good as the newer, cooler models.

Tau are actually fairing much better under 6th edition than they were in 5th. I'm not even sure they are the worst army out there anymore. More and more people are playing them, and using them as allies now.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Infinite Karma posted:

Good Tau list(s)>>>>> Good Chaos/Sisters/Nids/Eldar/BT lists.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Anti-Citizen posted:

They hafto snapshot anyways, unless there's some magic errata floating around. Flying MCs not getting skyfire is the dumbest thing.

wait really? I thought they had that special rule about hunting from the sky or whatever that let them use full BS. Just... wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shosuro
Nov 30, 2007

mmj posted:

wait really? I thought they had that special rule about hunting from the sky or whatever that let them use full BS. Just... wow
I thought so too. Had to go back and check. Nope!

• Locked thread