Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Has anyone played the Ankh Morpork board game? Just wondering if it's worth picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm a huge gaming nerd, and I have played it.

I like it. It's not extremely flavorful, but it's a great game. The artwork is great, the board is fantastic, and the gameplay is awesome (you don't know what the other players' objectives are, and have to win while preventing their win conditions from occurring).

I completely love it. But if you're expecting a discworld-style humour to it, you'll be disappointed. Most of the "funny" comes from playing with other discworld fans and making your own jokes about Gaspode or whoever. You can play with non-fans, but to them it will be an interesting boardgame, not an introduction to the discworld.

As an example, there's a card in the deck which does nothing at all (oh, you can discard it and get a benefit if you have something else in play, but the card itself does gently caress all). The name on the card is The Peeled Nuts, who are the Ankh-Morpork Historical Reenactment Society. That's kinda funny, but unless you'd read Discworld and remembered who The Peeled Nuts were (and I think they're mentioned by name just once), it just looks like a card which does nothing and has a picture of crappy soldiers on it.

davestones
May 7, 2009
Is Lobsang the vending machine in The Long Earth the same as the thief/clockmaker Lobsang from Thief of Time?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The best one really, as it had its own (slightly original) story. I liked the first two games but not a big fan of several plots of the book vaguely mashed together motiff they had.

There was also the fact that the puzzles made sense. A crowbar was used to what crowbars is normally used for, you didn't have to combine it with a duck and put in a chimney.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
If I thought the film version of The Colour of Magic sucked, should I bother watching the others? Going Postal is one of my favorite books of all time, so I was excited when I saw there was a movie...and then I saw CoM on Netflix.

Nothing worked for me. The timing of all the jokes was wrong. The scenes were just dumped haphazardly all across the timeline, and the continuity was jittery and bizarre. I mean, The Colour of Magic isn't Terry's best work, but it would be hard to produce a worse adaptation of it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

If I thought the film version of The Colour of Magic sucked, should I bother watching the others? Going Postal is one of my favorite books of all time, so I was excited when I saw there was a movie...and then I saw CoM on Netflix.

Nothing worked for me. The timing of all the jokes was wrong. The scenes were just dumped haphazardly all across the timeline, and the continuity was jittery and bizarre. I mean, The Colour of Magic isn't Terry's best work, but it would be hard to produce a worse adaptation of it.
Hogfather is worth watching, as a fellow person who didn't like Color of Magic. It's a good adaptation of the book that also manages to be a good movie, even if the weird "there's like four endings" pacing of the book kinda screws up the pacing of the last few minutes of the movie. Plus the casting is fantastic, especially for Mr. Teatime.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Color of Magic is quite bad. The sets and production values are good, mind you, I love how the world Sky managed to built in Hogfather, CoM and Going Postal.
But the casting is strange, and CoM is, IMO, one of the weakest Discworld books.

But yeah, if you have to see at least one more movie, do Hogfather. Because Death of Rats is strangely adorable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Alhazred posted:

There was also the fact that the puzzles made sense. A crowbar was used to what crowbars is normally used for, you didn't have to combine it with a duck and put in a chimney.

Pretty much, yeah.

What was the worse puzzle out of all the games? I can't really remember as it has been a while.

Kvitrafn
Jul 16, 2012
Just bought "The long Earth" and I'm almost done with it already.
It's as funny as it should be, since it's written by Pratchett, and it's as intelligent as the usual Baxter books.

Lobsang is amazing. I wish I had a near omniscient vending machine!

davestones
May 7, 2009

Kvitrafn posted:

Just bought "The long Earth" and I'm almost done with it already.
It's as funny as it should be, since it's written by Pratchett, and it's as intelligent as the usual Baxter books.

Lobsang is amazing. I wish I had a near omniscient vending machine!

I agree that it is good, but for me Lobsang has moments of being a bit of an arsehole (eg forcing Joshua to wear the mechanical parrot). One thing about it bugged me a little as well, the phobics not being able to step until right at the end when Madison is about to be nuked and someone can drag them west or east just by grabbing onto them. Why did no one think of this at the start of the book when the "migration" started, especially the family that abandoned their son?

Hopefully Terry won't die before the next few books come out as there's a lot of promise to the universe.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Spigs posted:

Has anyone played the Ankh Morpork board game? Just wondering if it's worth picking up.

Yep. I love it! I don't generally play boardgames and none of my mates are really that into them either, so I think it's a fairly stunning recommendation that everyone I've played it with (Discworld and non-discworld fans alike) have had a blast playing it and a few of us now play it with beers every other week. I got it as a present and was marginally worried that it'd be a cheap cash in, but it's a great fun game first and a pretty cool Discworld thing second; the board is Ankh Morpork and there's about 100-200 unique cards, all of which are Discworld characters. The rules are pretty straightforward and most of the fun comes from being fairly bastarding to each other while you try to work out what other people's personalities are and screw them over accordingly.

Get it! Hands down my favourite boardgame and a really cool Discworld thingy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

davestones posted:

One thing about it bugged me a little as well, the phobics not being able to step until right at the end when Madison is about to be nuked and someone can drag them west or east just by grabbing onto them. Why did no one think of this at the start of the book when the "migration" started, especially the family that abandoned their son?

If it hadn't escaped your attention, at the end of the book the abandoned son you're talking about is dragged one step out of the Datum. He immediately goes into convulsions and has to be injected with something by a paramedic. Perhaps someone thought of this at the start of the book, which is why his family left him behind?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

What was the worse puzzle out of all the games? I can't really remember as it has been a while.

Here's what Terry had to say in the manual for Discworld 2: Missing Presumed ... !?

quote:

What do you mean, "I haven't finished the first one yet"?

Good grief, some people... look, give the prunes to the fishmonger, get the
dragon to breathe on the mirror, throw the Black Monk to the crocodiles and
shoot the dragon with the other dragon.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
I just finished The Long Earth and really enjoyed it. Pratchett's voice comes across very strongly; I've not read anything of Stephen Baxter's so I can't judge his contribution.

My only complaint is that the 'Humanity First' villains are very cliched, even down to the name. I'll be pleasantly suprised if they manage to take the idea somewhere interesting.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Has anyone checked out Pratchett's short stories that he's allowed to be placed online?

Death and What Comes Next. - A Death story.
Theatre of Cruelty - A Watch story. (also comes in other langauges, including Orangutan)
A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices - A wizards story.
And my personal favourite short story - The Sea and Little Fishes - The Witches. Or you could watch the uncanny valley poser adaption.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yes, and I love them. Especially the Witches one which I read in a compilation ages ago.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Supreme Court posted:

I got it as a present and was marginally worried that it'd be a cheap cash in, but it's a great fun game first and a pretty cool Discworld thing second

This. I was stunned by how well designed it was as a game. You could strip all the Discworld stuff out and it would still be a good board game, just not as fun or funny. I've played it with people that haven't read any Pratchett and they had a blast. Definitely pick it up if you can.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I've started reading Guards! Guards! and I'm quite enjoying it. Reading Pratchett again made me think of when I was a kid, probably around 8 years old or less. And I was given a copy of Truckers and Diggers. I never read them because I didn't really read "books" when I was that age. I remember admiring the cover art for ages and trying to make a story up from it.

These are the covers I had:

I think when I'm done with the Guards books I'm going to correct a wrong from my past. I'm going to read these books! I think if I had been given them when I was older I would have read them and likely gone on to be a huge Pratchett fan. I'd probably have read all of his books by now and I wouldn't have grown up reading Goosebumps :(

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Do it.

A while back when it was really crazy at work, I almost had a complete breakdown due to the end of Diggers.

Together, I think they're my favourite work by Terry.

VVV I have, I bought the compiled Bromeliad from Book Depository :)

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 9, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Both of you should also check out "Wings", the third book in the series.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Autumncomet posted:

I want that game. :stare:

I hadn't heard of the UA miniseries. Sounds exciting.

About to start Sourcery. Apparently it's not that good, but I liked Pterry's early stuff despite popular opinion, so maybe I'll enjoy this one too. :shobon:

Sourcery isn't really bad, it's just not as witty or clever as the rest of Discworld. Approach it like the action movie of the books, and enjoy the described imagery- because it's some of the most fantastic in the series, in my opinion. Particularly the magic analogue of ICBM warfare. It should definitely fare better than some of the other stories when it gets translated to the screen.

Sard fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 12, 2012

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite bit in Sourcery is Rincewind trying to build his little Wizzard Tower. :3:

And there's some good bits with Conina and Nijel the Destroyer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Got the Discworld Con schedule last night. Seems a little less organised than usual - Stephen Baxter's guest lecture clashes with the Charity Auction - but the big standout is the lack of a signing. Last time there was one, with a "two books, no dedications" rider. This time, no signing and advice to please not ask Terry to sign books if you see him around. Not good news.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

Got the Discworld Con schedule last night. Seems a little less organised than usual - Stephen Baxter's guest lecture clashes with the Charity Auction - but the big standout is the lack of a signing. Last time there was one, with a "two books, no dedications" rider. This time, no signing and advice to please not ask Terry to sign books if you see him around. Not good news.

I feel like any Pratchett fan who hasn't been living under a rock for the past decade would have the decency to not ask him for an autograph at this point. That's just tacky. I'd love to be able to make it to a Disc Con before he's gone, just to say a few kind words if I happened to see him. Not to shove a copy of The Colour of Magic in his face and say "CAN YOU SIGN THIS BRO". Jeez.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

All I could say to him would be "Thank you for all the wonderful stories".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AlphaDog posted:

All I could say to him would be "Thank you for all the wonderful stories".

That, and "Your books literally made me a better person." Reading stuff like Mort and Small Gods in my late teens was honestly just about as important to me as, I don't know, The Stranger. No hyperbole.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can quite comfortably say that several parts of Night Watch have stuck by me through the years, what a beautiful little book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

precision posted:

I feel like any Pratchett fan who hasn't been living under a rock for the past decade would have the decency to not ask him for an autograph at this point. That's just tacky. I'd love to be able to make it to a Disc Con before he's gone, just to say a few kind words if I happened to see him. Not to shove a copy of The Colour of Magic in his face and say "CAN YOU SIGN THIS BRO". Jeez.

No, it needed to be said. Pterry has always loved talking to fans at the Cons and has been known to sign the occasional book for someone who can't stay for the signing because they need to go home. None of the Con regulars would think it tacky to ask in those circumstances, because it's a big change that you can't.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

precision posted:

Making assumptions about "decency" and similar things like Common Sense is an unstable bridge to place your stance. The best and nicest person in the world who always lived as nice as they could can still be unintentionally cruel because it never occurred to them that X could be considered cruel. Sometimes you need to be told things to realize them.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I'm in the middle of doing a Discworld reread. (Up to Feet of Clay.) So many good books on either side of me. I think I'm on the verge of getting a friend hooked. We watched Hogfather the other night, and she's a big Harry Potter friend, so I've been talking up Tiffany Aching to her.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would really love it if some big studio (but not so big they'll gently caress it up) got it in their heads to do a Tiffany Aching series of films and cast Chloe Grace Meritz (Let Me In, Kick-rear end, (500) Days of Summer). I think she would be just super in that role.

I mean, they tried to do The Dark is Rising which, while a great series of young adult books, is ancient and completely obscure to anyone under the age of 30.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Wikipedia says that Sam Raimi was attached to a production, but Pratchett thought the script was awful (and has since gotten the rights back). Didn't know that.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
One of my favourite anecdotes from Pratchett about people trying to turn his books into movies is the one about Mort, where the studio liked it, but said "can we drop the death angle?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

One of my favourite anecdotes from Pratchett about people trying to turn his books into movies is the one about Mort, where the studio liked it, but said "can we drop the death angle?"
I think this would be great. Imagine the plot synopsis. "A young man from a rural community travels to the city for an apprenticeship, but experiences difficulties. 78 minutes, PG-13 for language."

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

davestones posted:

Is Lobsang the vending machine in The Long Earth the same as the thief/clockmaker Lobsang from Thief of Time?

I would definitely like to think so. He is also without a doubt meant to be the Discworld counterpart of this dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobsang_Rampa.

Actually I guess counterpart is quite a strong word, but he surely must be inspired by him. And of course by dude, I mean nut-job/charlatan.

chippy fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 23, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lobsang is just Pterry's go-to name for vaguely Tibetan monk types. The two characters are totally unconnected.

Setting off for the Con in a couple of hours. Would anyone be interested in photos?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
So I've always loved Pratchett, especially his YA stuff, but for some reason had never heard of or acknowledged Nation until a couple of weeks ago. God drat that book is really good. One of the few books I've ever read that almost made me cry.

Pratchett makes me wish I had kids so I could make them read his books.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Jedit posted:

Lobsang is just Pterry's go-to name for vaguely Tibetan monk types. The two characters are totally unconnected.

I'd accept that the Lobsang in Thief of Time and the one in The Long Earth are different people, although it seems odd to me that he wouldn't just find a different name for them, but Lobsang in The Long Earth has surely got to be based on Lobsang Rampa, the "soul of tibetan monk now inhabiting another vessel" parallel is just too similar.

I also liked the fact that he was a motorcyle repairmen. Surely a nod to Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 23, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Finished Long Earth, and while I enjoyed it, I thought it was all setting with no real tension. Everything gets resolved neatly at the end, with no real effort on any character's part. They're mostly just along for the ride.

Thinking about it now the Long Earth setting really reminds me of Ringworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Finished Long Earth, and while I enjoyed it, I thought it was all setting with no real tension. Everything gets resolved neatly at the end, with no real effort on any character's part. They're mostly just along for the ride.

It's a setup novel for a series.

Just got out of a Kaffee Klatch with Stephen Briggs, which was interesting and a lot of fun. We talked about how he got involved in Discworld through theatre (because Hitchhikers was taken, basically), how the audio books are recorded for the UK and US markets, and a bit of mostly spoiler free chat about Dodger.

Next stop for me is Backspindle's new Discworld game demo, followed by the Bedtime Story - which will probably interest most of you more. It may be a section of Dodger that isn't in the Waterstones sampler, or it may be from Flick of the Screen. Recording is prohibited, but I'll give you a little info on what I hear.