Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Jawidar posted:

Edit: Definitely not a fan of Jake Humphrey, though. I think it's the way he pronounces every syllable in every word like some sort of presenting robot.

Jake Humphrey was loving awful at the Velodrome, I just wanted Cavendish to punch him. Every time they cut to him he'd somehow bring up the fact Cav has no Olympic gold medal, completely glossing over how dominant he's been in the sprinting at the Tour de France, and that getting Gold at London was an all or nothing effort by Team GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They showed him kissing him earlier. Clearly it's a case of schoolboy romance.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Claire Balding has been fantastic, but for me she gets beaten out by Matt Baker's giddy excitement at the improved state of UK gymnastics. John Inverdale is a terrible awkward guy with no idea how to deal with heavy emotions, Gary Lineker has been pretty bad but his bromance with Ian Thorpe saved him.

And yeah, the velodrome coverage was like a constant parade of gently caress You Cav :smith:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
John Inverdale was in tears along with Purchase/Hunter when they only got silver. So I don't buy that heavy emotions stuff.

The only problem (and this is universal) is when they try to get soundbites out of people. So many times you get:

Interviewer: You just won the bronze medal, how does it feel?
Athlete: Yeah I came third.
Interviewer: 4 years ago did you think you could do that?
Athlete: Well I've got bronze so I guess.
Interviewer: Is this the best moment of your life?
Athlete: I just want to thank my coaches...
Interviewer: Was this medal for the crowd? How much does it mean to you?
Athlete: I just want to go to bed why aren't you letting me go?
Interviewer: TELL US THAT YOU WON THIS MEDAL FOR THE CROWD AND THAT IT MEANS EVERYTHING TO YOU.

The worst ones are the interviews with failures. See Phillips Idowu, Euan Burton and the guy who had a really poo poo time in the 400m today. And that one VVV

incredible bear fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 8, 2012

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The saddest interview I've seen was the guy who wouldn't stop apologising to his coaches for wasting their time and to his wife and kids for not spending more time with them :(

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Jake Humphrey is a terrible host. Everything about him rubs me up the wrong way. He seems tailor made for shite like The One Show.

Have David Gower present every important sporting event for the rest of his life.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

goatface posted:

The saddest interview I've seen was the guy who wouldn't stop apologising to his coaches for wasting their time and to his wife and kids for not spending more time with them :(

Jesus, I never saw that interview but just reading that is making me sad as hell :(

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've barely seen much Olympics but from what I've seen of Lineker, it seems very clear that he's much more of a football guy than a sports-in-general guy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

incredible bear posted:

The worst ones are the interviews with failures. See Phillips Idowu, Euan Burton and the guy who had a really poo poo time in the 400m today. And that one VVV

Seeing as Phillips Idowu hid an injury so he could cash in on the pre-Olympics hype money, I really find it hard to pity him

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Handsome Dead posted:

I've barely seen much Olympics but from what I've seen of Lineker, it seems very clear that he's much more of a football guy than a sports-in-general guy.
If you mean Men's Footballs, then yeah, sure. But he's been pretty awful with Women's Football, asking Faye White some stupidly dumb questions as if it's a sport he's never seen before.

Rarity posted:

Seeing as Phillips Idowu hid an injury so he could cash in on the pre-Olympics hype money, I really find it hard to pity him
Oh, it wasn't pity, by worst I mean he kept being asked in roundabout ways "Hey Phillips, where the gently caress have you been?", and he obviously wasn't going to truly answer it the way we wanted, but heck just keep asking him for five whole minutes.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Handsome Dead posted:

He's not really a football guy any more, he's a flinty-eyed golem who exists only to pimp crisps and emit soundbites at random.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There is a huge difference between being somebody who was a sportsman/woman and moves into doing a bit of TV presenting in a tightly controlled/scripted studio environment and somebody who is a professional television presenter.

And then there's a huge difference again between a television presenter and somebody who has gravitas, personality, and knowledge to be able to handle changing situations in a live environment.

Gary Linekar -> Jake Humphrey -> Clare Balding.

There's your scale, from left to right as I explained it. Clare Balding is the best sports presenter the BBC have and I hope she carries on forever. She's brilliant.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

thehustler posted:

Gary Linekar -> Jake Humphrey -> Clare Balding -> Ortis Deley

Fixed that for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RCgXqoyLc

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

jfjnpxmy posted:

He's not really a football guy any more, he's a flinty-eyed golem who exists only to pimp crisps and emit soundbites at random.

I only found this out the other week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_8pfbCH-4
He's done very well for it not to be the only thing the public remembers him for.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Haha I forgot about that holy poo poo

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

jfjnpxmy posted:

It's a shame, because he was a really good pundit, certainly better than anyone else the BBC have had in years. He might be off to BT next year, maybe that'll be the kick up the arse he needs.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

thehustler posted:

Haha I forgot about that holy poo poo

There's a great clip where Michael Johnson has decided to cut Ortis out of the loop and conduct his own interviews.

On that note they should just have Michael Johnson presenting athletics coverage from now anyway.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Radio Times reckons Trev Nelson is doing commentary on the closing ceremony too. Hold on to your hats.

Also odds of McCartney singing Hey Jude for the nth time?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Giedroyc posted:

Radio Times reckons Trev Nelson is doing commentary on the closing ceremony too. Hold on to your hats.

Also odds of McCartney singing Hey Jude for the nth time?

No, inexplicably it will be the Stones playing "Start Me Up".

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

HoldYourFire posted:

No, inexplicably it will be the Stones playing "Start Me Up".

They've got to have another song from 2005 when it was announced we won the games a la the Arctic Monkeys. So looking at the hits from that year it's either going to be 'Axel F' by Crazy Frog or Peter Kay's 'Is this the way to Amarillo'...

oh no...

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

incredible bear posted:

Linekar's the weaker link for me.

I think my lowest moment was when Gary Lineker was interviewing John MacEnroe...about the 100m final.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Urgh, and the interviews with the fastest qualifiers. Asking them questions that are unanswerable. It's like asking a football manager how they did 70 minutes into the game and it's 1-1.

They made Dai Greene really beat himself up about not finishing in the top two, and then 5 minutes later he's through to the final. Surely they can hold them aside until their fate is known.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Little late, but I need this on DVD. Still makes me chuckle after all these years, and I do wonder how they got away with so much for kids TV at the time

The Wall
Jan 3, 2012
I can't stand Clare Balding and the teacher thing on the Incredible Games show gave me nightmares as a kid. What are you doing to me thread?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

goatface posted:

That was great. They're always shouting about how these gold medal winners and their family sacrificed everything and look how it's worth it. They never mention the sacrifices of the losers.

As for presenters, I like Balding and Logan. Linekar makes a meal of every segment link, mispronounces names of participants and forgets the olympic achievements of the people he is interviewing.

Linekar: we've got a guest with us now who won a medal in 92 in Barcelona. Wow, was it really that long ago?
Guest: Well it was 88 in Seoul
Linekar: but you look so young.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Did anyone watch the recent Channel 4 documentary The Girl Who Became Three Boys? I'm watching it now and it's utterly mad, as the title suggests this girl basically created 3 male personalities and then tricked her friends into believing they were real. Somehow she was so good at it that she met up with her friends and entered relationships with them as different boys :confused: I don't get how the gently caress

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Paperhouse posted:

Did anyone watch the recent Channel 4 documentary The Girl Who Became Three Boys? I'm watching it now and it's utterly mad, as the title suggests this girl basically created 3 male personalities and then tricked her friends into believing they were real. Somehow she was so good at it that she met up with her friends and entered relationships with them as different boys :confused: I don't get how the gently caress

Kids are pretty stupid these days tbf. No, I need to watch this, sounds really interesting.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Paperhouse posted:

Was it this girl? I read about it the other day, really weird story.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paperhouse posted:

The girl with the lower lip piercing who went out with 2 of the male personas was either compromised mentally from birth or willing to delude herself just to boast to her facebook friends that she had a boyfriend.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This weeks Vexed is brought to you by Richard Littlejohn's midlife crisis, in which our heroes infiltrate a group of post-genderist university students and inadvertently calls them a bunch of lesbian slappers. What the loving gently caress?

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Padje posted:

The girl with the lower lip piercing who went out with 2 of the male personas was either compromised mentally from birth or willing to delude herself just to boast to her facebook friends that she had a boyfriend.
And claimed it was all Mark Zuckerberg's fault for inventing Facebook!

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Christ, is anyone watching Young Bright and on the Right? It's only been on for 5 minutes and I hate every single one of them.

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
The guy with the elbow patches has already learned his place. Good tory boy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Muppetjedi posted:

Christ, is anyone watching Young Bright and on the Right? It's only been on for 5 minutes and I hate every single one of them.
it's amazing, these toffs going "I don't think the conservatives are nasty" and then showing what a bunch of backstabbing shitheels they are.

The weird blonde one saying tories face more discrimination than gays, :wtf:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

it's amazing, these toffs going "I don't think the conservatives are nasty" and then showing what a bunch of backstabbing shitheels they are.

The weird blonde one saying tories face more discrimination than gays, :wtf:

I thought it was weird that the advice from his mother was to "look electable" and "look like you are listening to people."

What about actually being electable and actually listening to people? :confused:

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
Hahah he actually has a headshot of Maggie as a screensaver.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Xachariah posted:

I thought it was weird that the advice from his mother was to "look electable" and "look like you are listening to people."

What about actually being electable and actually listening to people? :confused:

You have... you are familiar with British politics right?

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Xachariah posted:

Hello! Nice to meet you. :) My name is Nick.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sion posted:

You have... you are familiar with British politics right?

I am, I was pointing out that this is a stupid attitude. "Look like you are competent" and "look like you aren't an amoral bastard who cares nothing of the plebs". It's loving stupid advice, try and BE competent, try and BE a nice person.

I'd be offended if people told me to act decently and honourable, because they are assuming it's not something you can actually be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

Xachariah posted:

I'd be offended if people told me to act decently and honourable, because they are assuming it's not something you can actually be.

Why? It's not a comment on you, it's a comment on the system and how it works. It doesn't really matter if you're a great, caring guy who listens to the people, because being that doesn't get you elected, making people think you are will. So, you could as well be a total scumbag, if you know your PR and media game, you're still a great guy and totally electable, unlike someone who's actually a decent human being but isn't as good in telling that to everybody and avoiding any scandals or taints in your image.