Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I'd do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Ok, let me do some research about how to run an OOTP league and maybe we can get something set up.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Just putting out feelers: Would anyone be interested in an all-goon OOTP 12 league? I don't have 13 yet :(

The league doesn't exist yet, and I'm thinking either starting at 1901 with real players, or perhaps fake teams with fake players. I'd have to research how most of these things are run, though.

Get ready for a second job.

In all seriousness, if you want to do it right, look up statslab. You have to have a host but it's the best thing for online leagues. You can run a league without online reports and Statslab but drafting is really really painful.

I'd give it a shot, either way.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 26, 2012

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

tadashi posted:

Get ready for a second job.

This is so true. Also, get ready to hear a lot of complaints about horrible AI managing.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

This is so true. Also, get ready to hear a lot of complaints about horrible AI managing.

From what I can tell, being a good commish is mostly about trying to sim on time, fixing problems with the league files when they pop-up and pointing out to whiny GMs that they left 7-day lineups turned on and that's why their new shiny trade acquisition hasn't played for 2 weeks.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The biggest issue a league commissioner has is managing the depth of talent. It makes or breaks a league. Draft classes must be very delicately balanced. Some are very good at it (Buane), some are okay at it (me), some were not so good and it led to a league where an 8 rating was basically average.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tavarin why does like nobody talk in this league

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

IcePhoenix posted:

Tavarin why does like nobody talk in this league

Well, most of the talk is in IRC, but really the major focus of the forum is the Rising Star League nowadays.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

there's an IRC? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, what is it?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

irc.simcentral.net, #bbsc is pretty much constantly up, although the conversation can be inconsistent sometimes. There's also a chat applet through the forums that occasionally works.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

If you have the time to pick up a second league, and I've found it's not that hard to balance two leagues in the same community since there is so much overlap in the GMs, the RSL is a lot of fun and a good challenge. There are 3 teams open, 1 of which is kind of a dumpster fire but those can be fun to try to rebuild.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Well, most of the talk is in IRC, but really the major focus of the forum is the Rising Star League nowadays.

You know what your true league is though.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

You know what your true league is though.

Not if this Joe Morgan trade backfires. :gonk:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Not if this Joe Morgan trade backfires. :gonk:

Dude is great, he will be good for you. Him and Speaker are a dominant combo. Hit Big Klu third following Morgan and Speaker!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

If you have the time to pick up a second league, and I've found it's not that hard to balance two leagues in the same community since there is so much overlap in the GMs, the RSL is a lot of fun and a good challenge. There are 3 teams open, 1 of which is kind of a dumpster fire but those can be fun to try to rebuild.

Not gonna lie, I was intrigued but after browsing the league page for a minute or so looking at the teams my eyes started bleeding and I decided it wasn't worth it

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

IcePhoenix posted:

Not gonna lie, I was intrigued but after browsing the league page for a minute or so looking at the teams my eyes started bleeding and I decided it wasn't worth it

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Getting to 300 wins is really loving hard. I had to switch to a 4 man rotation when the guy turned 35 to even give him a chance.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Getting to 300 wins is really loving hard. I had to switch to a 4 man rotation when the guy turned 35 to even give him a chance.

He sure limped to the finish line. How many starts did he have left in 2030 when he finally got to 300?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tavarin posted:

He sure limped to the finish line. How many starts did he have left in 2030 when he finally got to 300?
He had 4 starts left when he hit 300. He retired the minute the playoffs ended, so glad he got it.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

He won the 2018 Cy Young, right? Or was there someone even better?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He won the Cy Young 7 times:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
edit: n/m

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 2, 2012

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I bought the new ootp the other day and have been playing. Played a ton of 11 and 12, and this one's not too different, but I still have some issues.

I played 11 and 12 on normal difficulty for trading and could completely game it to the point where I won every world series. Playing on hard trading difficulty is so completely different that it really sucks to play sometimes. It is impossible to trade away anybody signed to a contract worth more than a couple million if they are an average or slightly above average player. I have a 58/68 catcher who is 28 making 5 million this year and 6.5 next year and he's been worth 3 WAR two years ago and 2 this past year and literally no team will trade for him. I am willing to dump him for salary relief and a prospect and it won't work.

And this is happening with multiple players. I just hate the fact that signing young above average players sucks as a human player. I never sign free agents because of the high costs, but it's at the point where I can't even sign my own players because I can never trade them away. Really frustrating.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

OOTP 13 is up for voting on Steam Greenlight.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Veterans really get a raw deal in OOTP13. Even if I set the AI to favor veterans, there's always a decent crop of players who are above average or even elite on the free agent market. Short of manually signing them to random teams, it's a bummer to always see good players languish.

On the other side of things, I wish I could set an age where people absolutely won't retire before. Cliff Lee was a 9/9/8 pitcher and retired at age 37, of course I didn't really notice until 2-3 years after he retired and felt it would be dumb to take him out of retirement then.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
The BBM Super-League LP has opened registration!

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

uhh....

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

:golfclap:, BBM.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Cletus Fuckhat is an Easter egg that comes around if you play enough, I've had the name pop up a couple times.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
OOTP is doing their yearly World Series sale: $20 for OOTP13. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/index.php

Wasn't planning on buying it but this sale always suckers me in, ha

Voluspa
Mar 17, 2006

HURRRRley

Allyn posted:

OOTP is doing their yearly World Series sale: $20 for OOTP13. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/index.php

Wasn't planning on buying it but this sale always suckers me in, ha

Picked this up despite not knowing a thing about baseball, but I like sport sims and sales.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Voluspa posted:

Picked this up despite not knowing a thing about baseball, but I like sport sims and sales.

It's a pretty fun game and a good way to learn more about baseball/baseball players.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looks like iOOTP is on sale for the offseason, $1.99.

Getting my first iPad this week; good game? Or should I just stick with OOTP13?

And...sigh...any openings in the leagues? I NEED BASEBALL IN MY LIFE, BADLY.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pretty sure we have plenty of openings in the SCMLB, I think you were a member at one point.

http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

We just switched over to OOTP13 last offseason. We're one sim away from Free Agency, so great time to get in.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2012

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's a pretty cool league even though nobody ever does anything!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's a pretty cool league even though nobody ever does anything!

You came around at kind of a slow time. It used to be a lot more active in terms of trades but I think it will pick up a bit more this season.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Pretty sure we have plenty of openings in the SCMLB, I think you were a member at one point.

http://simcentral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php/245-SimCentral-MLB

We just switched over to OOTP13 last offseason. We're one sim away from Free Agency, so great time to get in.

Yeah, I was in. And I guess I'll be back if (Toona?) will have me back. :3:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I was in. And I guess I'll be back if (Toona?) will have me back. :3:

I no longer control the league. It's in the hands of rujasu, a long-time SC member, and good guy. I went to a Nats game with him!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

You came around at kind of a slow time. It used to be a lot more active in terms of trades but I think it will pick up a bit more this season.

It not even trades, I just wish there was more banter :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Toona the Cat posted:

I no longer control the league. It's in the hands of rujasu, a long-time SC member, and good guy. I went to a Nats game with him!

Werd. I'll throw him a message on SC, then.

• Locked thread