Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Ana5000 posted:

My table on the post above is exactly that model. It's sturdy enough to hold a computer and such stuff, but I wouldn't stand on it. Paper filling is probably surprisingly resilient, you should check that episode of Mythbusters where they made armor from paper.

If it's a computer/writing desk you're after, the Vika Amon is a very good affordable choice.

My high-gloss white had some cracks on the veneer from bad shipping/handling, though, so keep that in mind if you're going to order it online.

I actually went out to a hardware store and took a look at doors that are manufactured the same way (hollow with a paper core) and they seemed sturdy enough, so I placed an order for the birch version of the desk. I hope it doesn't get mangled during shipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Juriko posted:

That is exactly what it is.

Yep, I have a few coffee tables and stuff that are made like that. They're fine, but you'd want to be careful about standing on them. Also, you'll find it difficult or impossible to modify.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009
http://imgur.com/a/DA6lS

This is incredibly messy - it's usually somewhere between this and tidy.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Tharax posted:

http://imgur.com/a/DA6lS

This is incredibly messy - it's usually somewhere between this and tidy.

https://synergy-foss.org

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Unless you play diablo 3. This caused my diablo 3 to not recognize when I was clicking and holding ( did not test with other games ).

e:

Bad picture/only angle I could get it all in. Still putting the room back together, but thats an old dining table my dad made me with new (obviously not blue stain pine, but doug fir) 4x4 legs to make it a standing desk. Because gently caress sitting in pain.

Tedronai66 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 30, 2012

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Severed posted:

I actually went out to a hardware store and took a look at doors that are manufactured the same way (hollow with a paper core) and they seemed sturdy enough, so I placed an order for the birch version of the desk. I hope it doesn't get mangled during shipment.

Yes, they are sturdy enough for general use. My biggest gripe with them is they sound hollow; typing on a keyboard is a lot louder than it is with a solid desk - same for putting anything down on it, hitting it etc. And it's lovely veneer, but I guess all desks these days are like that.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

I have a few of those Vika Amon desks - I posted them earlier in the thread. Caveat emptor, if you have a monitor stand or heavy monitors they sag in the middle. If your order hasn't gone through, seriously consider the Numerar or Lagan butcher block top. They aren't much more money, but are far better quality.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009

Computer on the right - a raspberry pi. I don't think synergy works on them. I have used it before.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Unless you play diablo 3. This caused my diablo 3 to not recognize when I was clicking and holding ( did not test with other games ).

e:

Bad picture/only angle I could get it all in. Still putting the room back together, but thats an old dining table my dad made me with new (obviously not blue stain pine, but doug fir) 4x4 legs to make it a standing desk. Because gently caress sitting in pain.

Are those huge mousepads good? I've been thinking of getting one because I don't like the keyboard being slightly lower. (and where I rest each arm is then on slightly different heights).

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Tharax posted:

Computer on the right - a raspberry pi. I don't think synergy works on them. I have used it before.

Synergy works fine for me under Ubuntu/centos, I would think it'd do just fine on the raspberry version of Debian wouldn't it?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I figured this would be the best place to ask. Where is the best place to get the velcro straps? I don't want the loop type that you find on something you constantly open close (Laptop cables, etc), but I"d like just a roll of the same type. I don't like that thick crap that monoprice has, and I can only find that or the X" single strips. Anyone have a good price on the rolls?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

I figured this would be the best place to ask. Where is the best place to get the velcro straps? I don't want the loop type that you find on something you constantly open close (Laptop cables, etc), but I"d like just a roll of the same type. I don't like that thick crap that monoprice has, and I can only find that or the X" single strips. Anyone have a good price on the rolls?

I think, last time I looked, amazon sold rolls of the thinner all plastic, not cloth backed like monoprice, velcro strapping for a decent price.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Tharax posted:

Are those huge mousepads good? I've been thinking of getting one because I don't like the keyboard being slightly lower. (and where I rest each arm is then on slightly different heights).

I like it a lot. I have a tendency to move my mouse around a lot and having the pad be wherever the hell my arm goes is nice.

Tharax
Jul 15, 2009

The Third Man posted:

Synergy works fine for me under Ubuntu/centos, I would think it'd do just fine on the raspberry version of Debian wouldn't it?

I was worried the pi was too weak to handle this. (without input lag). Also, I was just playing with it on a Sunday evening, it wasn't a permanent set-up so for speed I was happy with what I got.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tedronai66 posted:

I play D3 and use Synergy, never had a problem other than accidentally mousing right off the screen (which is a possibility in a lot of games). Unless you mean playing it on the machine being controlled by Synergy, in that case of course that's a dumb idea.

Hook the keyboard/mouse to your gaming machine and use the rest via Synergy.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

wolrah posted:

I play D3 and use Synergy, never had a problem other than accidentally mousing right off the screen (which is a possibility in a lot of games). Unless you mean playing it on the machine being controlled by Synergy, in that case of course that's a dumb idea.

Hook the keyboard/mouse to your gaming machine and use the rest via Synergy.

No, Synergy server was on my desktop and client was on my laptop. Once I uninstalled synergy (i actually disabled the service first, but whatever), it worked. /shrug.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

WorkingStiff posted:

I have a few of those Vika Amon desks - I posted them earlier in the thread. Caveat emptor, if you have a monitor stand or heavy monitors they sag in the middle. If your order hasn't gone through, seriously consider the Numerar or Lagan butcher block top. They aren't much more money, but are far better quality.

Thank you for the heads up. Unfortunately, my order shipped today, so I won't be making any changes. However, I noticed that those table tops come in pre-defined lengths for the online store, so I'm not sure if I could get one for 60 inches in length. Anyway, I'll give the desk a shot, but I suspect that it may suffer from similar symptoms. But if it does, I will consider keeping the legs and just getting a new top, which is a nice option to have just in case. And to be honest, the desk really isn't all that expensive to begin with, so I don't feel like I would be out a tremendous amount of money if I have to replace the top in a year or two. Speaking of which, when did you start to notice that your monitor had begun to take a toll on the desk?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

Speaking of which, when did you start to notice that your monitor had begun to take a toll on the desk?

3 or 4 months in. This is on two desks with monitor stands. An extra leg in the back would probably help. One plus with the hollow-core door desks is that wireless mouse & keyboards get a great signal!

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

WorkingStiff posted:

3 or 4 months in. This is on two desks with monitor stands. An extra leg in the back would probably help. One plus with the hollow-core door desks is that wireless mouse & keyboards get a great signal!

Wow, that seems like a really short period of time for an issue like that to set in. Well, I guess I could consider mounting my monitor which wouldn't necassarily be a big deal seeing how inexpensive they are now (http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Art...itor+wall+mount), but I wasn't planning on it. How big was your monitor?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Severed posted:

How big was your monitor?

I think they are 22" & 24". Here's a pic from awhile back. The sag is not that bad, but there is definitely a dip in both of them.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

_adam posted:

New desk! Now I just need a dual monitor mount and matching monitors...

where can I get the desktop background?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Received my Vika Amon yesterday, and I have to admit, I'm really disappointed with Ikea's shipping and service standards. I opened the box and found every corner of the desk damaged. I called Ikea's customer service line, was on hold for about 25 minutes, which then gave way to an answering machine :confused:. I left a voicemail message, and then followed up online using their service e-mail address. I have yet to hear back from them.

Looking at the way the desk was packaged, it's really no surprise that the desk arrived in such bad shape. They literally put zero padding in the corners of any sort, which leaves the corners and edges extremely suceptible to shipping damages.

I think their website says that returns or refunds require that I pay the shipping costs, but I find this to be a little outrageous considering their sub-standard shipping practices. If I exchange this desktop for another one, I can almost guarantee the next one I get will be damaged as well.

Never order from Ikea online.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Severed posted:

Received my Vika Amon yesterday, and I have to admit, I'm really disappointed with Ikea's shipping and service standards. I opened the box and found every corner of the desk damaged. I called Ikea's customer service line, was on hold for about 25 minutes, which then gave way to an answering machine :confused:. I left a voicemail message, and then followed up online using their service e-mail address. I have yet to hear back from them.

Looking at the way the desk was packaged, it's really no surprise that the desk arrived in such bad shape. They literally put zero padding in the corners of any sort, which leaves the corners and edges extremely suceptible to shipping damages.

I think their website says that returns or refunds require that I pay the shipping costs, but I find this to be a little outrageous considering their sub-standard shipping practices. If I exchange this desktop for another one, I can almost guarantee the next one I get will be damaged as well.

Never order from Ikea online.

Yeah, I'm lucky to have an Ikea nearby but even then, it can be annoying. My sister went back and forth a few times to get a chest of drawers without any damage to it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've never understood why more people don't just use a blank black background.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 6, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Gorilla Salsa posted:

What's that desk? I'd really like something with that much space on it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
Ikea Galant with the A legs.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Juriko posted:

Ikea Galant with the A legs.

What he/she said. The upper shelf is two Ekby Jarpen shelves side by side, held up by Ekby Tore brackets.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I've never understood why people put their computer in kicking distance, when there's plenty of space on the sides of their desks that are not in kicking distance.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Imagine that tower is a Mac Mini sitting pleasantly on the metal rack. Also imagine the carpet is torn up and the wood below refinished.

Some day, a beautiful butterfly.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Telex posted:

I've never understood why people put their computer in kicking distance, when there's plenty of space on the sides of their desks that are not in kicking distance.

I don't want the computer near the door or window, and it just so happens I'm a grown adult who can sit still without involuntarily kicking out at things.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Note to self: Next time you decide you want a new desk, just don't bother. gently caress, what a pain in my rear end. But hey. At least it's like 4x the size of my old desk!

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

I got my desk back from my mom's place (didn't have a truck to move it in) and so I threw all my poo poo on top of it.

yup that's a 10 year old mac keyboard that somehow works

I'll get around to organizing it sometime this week. (ha)

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'd love to hear about the equipment you're running there. Particularly what monitors/what you're using to lift them from the desk/whatever's going on on the right under the desk.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

BobOfDoom posted:

I'd love to hear about the equipment you're running there. Particularly what monitors/what you're using to lift them from the desk/whatever's going on on the right under the desk.

The monitors are Yamaha HS80Ms. The riser things are Auralex Monitor Isolation Pads. The rack underneath the desk has (from top to bottom) a MultiMix 8 line mixer (to control volume from the computer and my interface), a power "conditioner" (glorified surge protector) and then a patch bay that doesn't really get used, but might in the future.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Bret Hart posted:

where can I get the desktop background?

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 8, 2012

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hate my set-up. I wish I could have two towers on the top level, where air could get to them and they could be dusted easier. And have the monitors and keyboard/mouse at standing height. Would that be so hard?!

Or maybe I should just chop off that tall part my speakers are on so I would have more room on the main level for stuff. Or could I fit a monitor up there? Argh. This is so complicated. And dusty!

(I was watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of Persona 4 in the left monitor while taking photos. Also feel free to note the original Grim Fandango box down below!)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

VagueRant posted:

I hate my set-up. I wish I could have two towers on the top level, where air could get to them and they could be dusted easier. And have the monitors and keyboard/mouse at standing height. Would that be so hard?!

Or maybe I should just chop off that tall part my speakers are on so I would have more room on the main level for stuff. Or could I fit a monitor up there? Argh. This is so complicated. And dusty!

(I was watching the Giant Bomb Endurance Run of Persona 4 in the left monitor while taking photos. Also feel free to note the original Grim Fandango box down below!)

I hope you're not dusting out your computer tower inside your house. A lot of machines' actually pull air into the system to cool the components from what I understand. This means if you open up your tower and blow all the dust out inside the house, it will just suck it all back in.

Maybe do that in a garage or outside?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Soul Glo posted:

I hope you're not dusting out your computer tower inside your house. A lot of machines' actually pull air into the system to cool the components from what I understand. This means if you open up your tower and blow all the dust out inside the house, it will just suck it all back in.

...no, it won't. When you dust something, the dust doesn't float around in the immediate vicinity indefinitely. It diffuses away and settles on other things.

It's still better to dust outside, but that's just so you don't have more dust on all your other poo poo than because it magically ends up back in the case if you don't.

VagueRant: invest in some dust filters for your inlets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

coffeetable posted:

...no, it won't. When you dust something, the dust doesn't float around in the immediate vicinity indefinitely. It diffuses away and settles on other things.

It's still better to dust outside, but that's just so you don't have more dust on all your other poo poo than because it magically ends up back in the case if you don't.

VagueRant: invest in some dust filters for your inlets.

It gets sucked back in. I've air-canned computers out in my ofice before and by the end of the day all the dust gets sucked in the vents in the servers/switches in the next room over. Oops.

Do it outside or use a vac to suck it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Use a wet paper towel to clean dust buildup outside the case if it's an issue. Taking a computer tower outside (and unplugging/replugging everything) makes cleaning more of a pain than it needs to be.

Like coffee said, dust covers will prevent a lot of the problem - just wipe down the dust covers.