Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Funambulist posted:

About 3 months out of college, and I haven't had much luck finding something. I have an offer that I'm waffling like crazy on, and it'd be nice if I could get input from actually employed goons. I don't know many people in the work force.

It's a software (Java) developer job in the tri-state area. On the up-side, they give extensive training in Java, SQL, and a few other things, which is good since I was a math major, not CS. Once training's done, I'm placed for two years with one of the company's affiliates in Jersey City, Manhattan or Stamford. The pay's $42,000 the first year and $49,000 the second.

Downsides are these: If I leave before the two years are up, I owe them $30K. Training's unpaid; I can live with this since my family's okay with supporting me, but I don't like it. There's a chance I might be placed in Stamford for the entire 2 years - they don't seem to be willing to negotiate on this. From where I live, Google Maps tells me it's about 2 hours each way, which is a pain, and about $25-30. I could move, but that'd cost way more, plus I've got student loans to pay off.

Do I take it?

Edit Additional info - I live on Staten Island, so commuting to Jersey City isn't an issue, it's like 30 minutes by car and an hour fifteen by train. I could move if I get placed in CT but I'd rather not, since I'd only be paying my parents about $400 in rent and utilities. With that setup I could make about triple or quadruple the recommended monthly payback on my student loans, which would be pretty great.

Eh, I think you made the right choice. That poo poo sounds like indentured servitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Noah posted:

I didn't believe that the job was right for me at the moment, or for the future. It didn't further my career goals or make me look like a better candidate for a position in a field that I really want, it was really just a bump (a sizeable one though) in pay for a job I truly believe I'd hate having to go to everyday.

Now I'm worried. I have an interview today for a job that's technically out of my scope of interest, does this mean that I'm just wasting my time? Should I be looking for what's relevant to me (at the moment), even if I haven't had much success?

Then again I doubt it really matters if I don't even know what I want to do with my life :negative:

Speaking of, this is a company I was looking at: http://www.invicro.com/ They do work very similar to what I want to do. What is this "industry" (or however it qualifies) formally called? Because I haven't been able to figure out the right keywords/naming scheme to learn more about it or get involved in the field.

hieronymus posted:

If you actually lived within 10~20 min of Stamford with your parents, I'd hesitate turning the offer down (I might've myself when I graduated from college.) But a (realistically) 5 hour a day commute for a 40k a year job is one of the most destructive things you can do to yourself.

There was a position like this I found, very interesting but too far away - and I don't know how much it paid. Sad, because it's the field I really want to get into.

Duper
Nov 20, 2008

by T. Mascis

Funambulist posted:

Q.E.D. I guess. It took about 4 hours on public transit to get from my parents' house to my dorm. Can't say I'd like to do that, even if it was broken up, 5 days a week.

And no, the pay's not negotiable.

gently caress that. Seriously.

Pollyanna posted:

Now I'm worried. I have an interview today for a job that's technically out of my scope of interest, does this mean that I'm just wasting my time? Should I be looking for what's relevant to me (at the moment), even if I haven't had much success?

Then again I doubt it really matters if I don't even know what I want to do with my life :negative:

Speaking of, this is a company I was looking at: http://www.invicro.com/ They do work very similar to what I want to do. What is this "industry" (or however it qualifies) formally called? Because I haven't been able to figure out the right keywords/naming scheme to learn more about it or get involved in the field.

There was a position like this I found, very interesting but too far away - and I don't know how much it paid. Sad, because it's the field I really want to get into.

You're 22, nothing's relevant to you.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Pollyanna posted:

Never turn down an interview. You can turn down a job, but there's absolutely no reason to ever turn down an interview. It gets you experience in the situation, it allows you to find out more about the job and it can build your confidence if things go well.

Apply for everything you think you would like to do, regardless of distance. Get the job, then worry about the distance, otherwise you're expending energy for no reason.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Noah posted:

Apply for everything you think you would like to do, regardless of distance. Get the job, then worry about the distance, otherwise you're expending energy for no reason.

I'd echo this. Pollyanna, you're young and getting a job is your ticket to freedom from your parents. Moving is a good idea, even if it ends up being to like Kansas. You need to get out on your own and live your life independently. I think you'll be surprised in how much you are capable of if you're willing to take risks.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 7, 2012

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

You're single and don't have property. NOTHING is too far away.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Pollyanna posted:

You can't figure out how to search for jobs in their industry? Here's how they self-describe on linkedin:

quote:

inviCRO is an image science company that provides advanced data analysis services and software in the growing field of pre-clinical imaging research.
In collaboration with partner imaging centers, inviCRO facilitates full-service contract research imaging services utilizing SPECT, PET, MR, CT and Optical imaging technologies. To this effort, inviCRO has developed a product line of dedicated analysis and software services addressing image processing and reporting required of a pre-clinical laboratory running imaging trials.

Specialties
image analysis, software development, advanced statistics, automated reporting, electronic record keeping, consulting, pre-clinical imaging, MRI, CT, SPECT, PET, Optical, Ultra Sound

I'd try searching for anything listed under "specialties." It sounds like "medical imaging" is probably the most general category.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
How do you all go about negotiating salaries? I applied for a job that asked me to include my cover letter, resume and salary expectations, but I forgot to include the salary part (most every job I've ever had has offered a flat rate and not been open to negotiations). This is the first time I've tried finding a real job though since graduating so I don't know how the negotiation process goes.

Luckily, I was contacted for a phone interview even though I had that part of the application missing. I know that I'm still a far ways off from actually getting hired and negotiating salary, but I wanted to start getting an idea ahead of time.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

monkeyboydc posted:

How do you all go about negotiating salaries? I applied for a job that asked me to include my cover letter, resume and salary expectations, but I forgot to include the salary part (most every job I've ever had has offered a flat rate and not been open to negotiations). This is the first time I've tried finding a real job though since graduating so I don't know how the negotiation process goes.

Luckily, I was contacted for a phone interview even though I had that part of the application missing. I know that I'm still a far ways off from actually getting hired and negotiating salary, but I wanted to start getting an idea ahead of time.

You lucked out, ideally you want them to state a number first. If you game out all the scenarios, there's little to be gained and a lot to be lost if you're forced to come up with a number first, so do your best to get them to offer something that you can respond to. That said, sometimes they're insistent, so come prepared with a general ballpark that you've gathered from Salary.com and Glassdoor.com and such, for similar positions in your area. Don't be afraid to take those numbers and shoot for the upper end of the range. Again, it rarely hurts you to overshoot by a few percentage points, and if you come in low, you're hamstringing yourself for potentially a few years, as raises and promotions are usually percentage increases off of your initial salary.

As this is your first "real" job since graduating though, I'd give it a little leeway. Don't be a total hard-rear end because realistically, you probably won't stay at your first job forever. I'd take a slightly lower salary if I thought there were greater career advancement opportunities there, or it was a good "diagonally upwards" jumping off point for the job I really wanted but couldn't get straight out of school. It's important to land well, but try to think a move or two ahead as well, temporary sacrifices can be worth it in the long run.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I took an offer for my first job that was pretty far below average for that position, but most people in that job had 3-5 years experience so I figured it was a great chance to learn and put a solid foot on the ladder.

I worked there for 2 years and left for a 25% pay increase, it took me 3 weeks to find a new job. I am no expert but I think the big thing about your first job is that you're looking for experience and exposure more than a paycheck. On the other side of the coin, you probably won't get much because you have no experience or critical skills you can leverage. Get the most you can but don't freak out.

For an extreme example, my friend from highschool got an MBA from a top school and went to work for 50k. 2 years later he left and is now making something like 120k. Even future 1%-ers have (comparably) lovely first jobs.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
So I'm back to playing the numbers game and just sending out my resume and cover letter (and a portfolio if there's anyway to attach it, or an HR person to contact) for copywriter, writer, anything related to that, positions. I'm in LA, so I really don't think I need to relocate (I'd prefer not to for my own personal reasons and career goals), but I'm feeling like I'm not hitting enough job postings.

I've been using Simply Hired, Journalism Jobs, Craigslist, Monster, Creative Hotlist, Zip Recruiter, and now I'm going to try Indeed as well.

Any other suggestions to places for "creative" type people? I'm also going to larger companies like Fox, ABC, NBC and searching through their own career site as well, but its really just brutal.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'm going to be taking a fellowship after college. It's a good opportunity in a cool location, so I'm pretty satisfied with it even though it's only a small stipend. My question is, how do employers generally look on fellowships? Is it basically the same as an internship?

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

monkeyboydc posted:

So, here's what I sent off when negotiating salary, and their response:

quote:

Hi [Recruiter],

Thank you for forwarding the offer letter on to me. I'm very excited about working at [Corp], and look forward to starting there soon.

Before I accept the offer, however, I wanted to discuss the proffered salary. Because I hold a [advanced degree] in [field], and based on available salary information for this field, I was hoping for a somewhat higher starting salary. On that basis, I would like to request a starting salary of [offer + ~10%]. If this change is amenable to you I would be glad to sign a revised offer letter immediately. Otherwise, I will gladly entertain any counteroffer, and will certainly consider the offer as written if no changes are possible.

I hope to hear from you soon,

--[me]

quote:

Hi [me],

I talked to the HR Manager, and I can make it [offer + ~5%]. I wish I could make it [+~10%], but I can't go that high. If this is acceptable, I will revise the offer and send it over.

Thanks,

[recruiter]

So, just like you've read everywhere on the internet, it can be as easy as asking. Just have a number in mind, and have a *reason*. Your reason could be an advanced degree (listed under "preferred" not "required" on the job ad), experience in the field, or whatever. Just have a number, have a reason, and, if you're paranoid like me, mention that you'll still consider the offer as-written.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Xguard86 posted:

I took an offer for my first job that was pretty far below average for that position, but most people in that job had 3-5 years experience so I figured it was a great chance to learn and put a solid foot on the ladder.

I worked there for 2 years and left for a 25% pay increase, it took me 3 weeks to find a new job. I am no expert but I think the big thing about your first job is that you're looking for experience and exposure more than a paycheck. On the other side of the coin, you probably won't get much because you have no experience or critical skills you can leverage. Get the most you can but don't freak out.

For an extreme example, my friend from highschool got an MBA from a top school and went to work for 50k. 2 years later he left and is now making something like 120k. Even future 1%-ers have (comparably) lovely first jobs.

I like this advice. Working for 2 years is an incredibly small piece of the lifetime career pie(probably not even 5% of time spent working), so if you have to cut back a bit to accommodate the lower salary, it should pay off in a few years(hopefully when the economy is better) when you can negotiate with your current company or move somewhere else.

A buddy of mine got an MA in Economics from a nowhere near ranked state school and he told me he is looking for 60k+ out of school in a non metro area. I just kinda smile and wish him luck. Paying your dues is a thing that most of us have to do, and any relevant job with not-poverty pay and the future ability to move is better than waiting for the golden goose egg to come your way.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

So, here's what I sent off when negotiating salary, and their response:

So, just like you've read everywhere on the internet, it can be as easy as asking. Just have a number in mind, and have a *reason*. Your reason could be an advanced degree (listed under "preferred" not "required" on the job ad), experience in the field, or whatever. Just have a number, have a reason, and, if you're paranoid like me, mention that you'll still consider the offer as-written.

Awesome, thank you for that. I may have to utilize something very similar. Salary came up in my phone interview and I got them to give me a number that they'd be spending ideally. It's a lot more than I make now but seemed lowish for the market in this area. I may be ballsy a little later on in the interview process and see if they'll negotiate with me.

Thanks again!

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008
Hey everyone, so I graduated a week ago with a B.A. in History. I have a decent GPA (3.4), no internships, but I did spend a year abroad and was relatively active during that time. Right now, since I have nothing lined up, I'm planning to move back in with my parents take on a job (or two) while doing volunteer work/taking night classes.

I'm really just hoping to try and save up around $5,000 over the next 4 months and then move somewhere else. The thing that scares me is that many of my friends in a similar position haven't found anything. I have friends that graduated two years ago and are still at home working at Best Buy. I'm hoping I can hear some words of reassurance from anyone here. It just seems terrifying how many of my friends are just stuck in a ditch really.

some6uy008
Sep 2, 2004

Xanderg posted:

Hey everyone, so I graduated a week ago with a B.A. in History. I have a decent GPA (3.4), no internships, but I did spend a year abroad and was relatively active during that time. Right now, since I have nothing lined up, I'm planning to move back in with my parents take on a job (or two) while doing volunteer work/taking night classes.

I'm really just hoping to try and save up around $5,000 over the next 4 months and then move somewhere else. The thing that scares me is that many of my friends in a similar position haven't found anything. I have friends that graduated two years ago and are still at home working at Best Buy. I'm hoping I can hear some words of reassurance from anyone here. It just seems terrifying how many of my friends are just stuck in a ditch really.

The only advice I have to give you is strap in for a bumpy, possibly lengthy, ride. If you have connections, reach out to all of them. At at the same time, keep yourself busy by polishing your resume, working on cover letters, work on projects, develop new skills, etc. Be resilient in your job search, you might get really discourage after sending out dozens of resumes and receiving little to no responses, but don't take it personally. Also, every now and then take a day off and enjoy your unemployment (it really helps to preserve your sanity).

Goodluck on your search, maybe you'll be one of the luckier ones.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Ditto. Never stop doing what it is you think you want your career path to be, or you will have an even harder time getting into it.

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Due in part to the advice in this thread I just got my first real job after college! I start Monday, which is 4 weeks to the day I started my search.

I found the job market (SF Bay Area) to be very responsive, and I ended up accepting the offer that was the best match for my skill set and career goals. Thanks!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Congratulations! I'm beginning to wonder if I should look outside of LA for jobs myself.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

Noah posted:

Congratulations! I'm beginning to wonder if I should look outside of LA for jobs myself.

It never hurts! Also I meant to reply to your earlier question, but for a creative type, have you tried talent or recruitment agencies? The one that comes to mind is 24 Seven Talent because I've heard of them before, but I'm sure there must be tons of them around LA.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

close to toast posted:

Due in part to the advice in this thread I just got my first real job after college! I start Monday, which is 4 weeks to the day I started my search.

I found the job market (SF Bay Area) to be very responsive, and I ended up accepting the offer that was the best match for my skill set and career goals. Thanks!

I'm jealous. I'm not exactly coming off college but my minimal work experience and long unemployment gap may not be helping me. I've been applying now for a month and the lack of response is absolutely soul-crushing. I even applied for jobs that do not require a Bachelor's degree or having passed the CPA exam and they don't even notice me.

The current job market is not easy :(

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

Are you guys writing cover letters? Are they any good?

A few of my interviewers mentioned they liked mine a lot, and I'm sure that helped me get those initial call backs. I applied to about 15 places and got 5 call backs that all led to several rounds of interviews.

some6uy008
Sep 2, 2004

close to toast posted:

Are you guys writing cover letters? Are they any good?

A few of my interviewers mentioned they liked mine a lot, and I'm sure that helped me get those initial call backs. I applied to about 15 places and got 5 call backs that all led to several rounds of interviews.

Where in the bay are you located and what field? Do you mind posting a sample of your cover letter. I've been having very little luck here in San Jose

close to toast
Dec 12, 2006

I'd rather not post a cover letter here (although you can PM me), but they followed this general format:

3 sentences about where/what I studied in school in a way that ties it all together as part of a larger theme.

2-3 sentences about how the above experiences make me uniquely qualified for the position.

3 sentences about how not only are my skills a match but I am excited about the company's mission and know something about the landscape they operate in.

Edit: I'm in SF and applied to tech companies, mostly start ups

close to toast fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 11, 2012

glu
Mar 22, 2009
I have a couple of questions. I am graduating in December with a BFA in Art education and I plan to move to the Seattle area after graduation (from AZ). I do not want to move out there without some kind of job first, when should I start applying? Are employers usually willing to do telephone interviews?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

glu posted:

I have a couple of questions. I am graduating in December with a BFA in Art education and I plan to move to the Seattle area after graduation (from AZ). I do not want to move out there without some kind of job first, when should I start applying? Are employers usually willing to do telephone interviews?

To be honest, I do not think this is a reasonable expectation at all. I think your best bet would be to get a job in AZ and save up, then move and hope your nest egg can hold out. Alternatively, crash on someone's couch and try for a poo poo job to move out on your own.

If I were an employer I would never bother with an out of state applicant. I am confident I can find someone local.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

glu posted:

Are employers usually willing to do telephone interviews?

Wondering about this too, as I'm applying to multiple metropolitan areas all very far apart.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think it depends on how in-demand the field is. For CS majors at least, doing a phone screen or two followed by being flown out for in-person interviews is a fairly standard procedure, particularly at larger tech companies.

For an Art Education degree, though, I'd be pretty shocked if they tried to hire someone out of state, unless you have a particularly unusual skillset.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
It really depends on the company. I lived and went to school in Virginia and applied to jobs all over the country. The job I landed flew me out for an interview without any preliminary phone screening or anything, then paid for me to move out to Texas. On the other hand, other companies wouldn't even look at people from out of the area. I saw a lot of postings that asked for local applicants only. If I was applying for a job out of state, I would always mention in my cover letter that I was willing to relocate.

However, I'm an industrial designer and that's not a huge field and most schools don't even have an industrial design program. I'm sure it's different for popular majors like computer scientists. On the same coin, if you've majored in something wildly popular odds are there's a job for you in your current town (or somewhere within a reasonable driving distance) to get you started and relocating isn't necessary.

glu
Mar 22, 2009
Thank you for all the input guys! I do plan on going out there and crashing on a friends couch for a week or two in December, so hopefully I can coordinate interviews during that time. Also, my degree option is focused on museum studies rather than K-12, this is one of the reasons I chose Seattle, they have many, many museums and I am just hoping my degree is specific enough that they are willing to hire out of state. There are not many options here in Tucson. I am not picky though, I will take whatever I can find, just to get started out there. It seems that hiring out of state and doing telephone interviews all depends on the company and type of job.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Good luck, I have heard that getting good museum jobs is extremely difficult.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any tips for a phone interview? I'm taking a phone interview with a company in the area working on R&D for thermal imaging cameras, and while I'm pretty sure I can ace technical questions on the basic optics and materials selection, I don't know what else might be standard questions on a 90 minute phone interview.

RTB
Sep 19, 2004

Claverjoe posted:

Any tips for a phone interview? I'm taking a phone interview with a company in the area working on R&D for thermal imaging cameras, and while I'm pretty sure I can ace technical questions on the basic optics and materials selection, I don't know what else might be standard questions on a 90 minute phone interview.

Here's what I always tell people for phone interviews:
-Be in a quiet place and on a land line if possible.
-Stand up while talking on the phone. You'll be more energetic and the interviewer can tell. It's harder to convey interest over the phone, so try to sound enthusiastic.
-Have a copy of your resume printed out and in front of you along with any notes you think you might need. It's not a pop quiz, phone interviews are the only time you can use notes in an interview. You may as well use them.

Good luck!

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
If you know anything about the company, have some questions prepared ahead of time that you can ask about the position as well. If for some reason the interviewer answers those questions, without being prompted to, reiterate that you did HAVE questions but the interviewer covered them very thoroughly.

Also try to smile while talking if you can, just like walking around and standing, it can help you feel more enthusiastic which will translate through your voice.

Also 90 minutes is a really long time for a phone interview, make sure you've got some water handy too, you might be in for a lot of talking.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

glu posted:

Thank you for all the input guys! I do plan on going out there and crashing on a friends couch for a week or two in December, so hopefully I can coordinate interviews during that time. Also, my degree option is focused on museum studies rather than K-12, this is one of the reasons I chose Seattle, they have many, many museums and I am just hoping my degree is specific enough that they are willing to hire out of state. There are not many options here in Tucson. I am not picky though, I will take whatever I can find, just to get started out there. It seems that hiring out of state and doing telephone interviews all depends on the company and type of job.
Good luck, but museum jobs are much harder to land than K-12 jobs. And I guarantee you that they have more schools than museums in Seattle. You might consider a back-up plan in addition to trying to crack that tough nut.

glu
Mar 22, 2009
I can always work at a charter school, and also I can take the certification if nothing else pans out, but since I am moving states,and not going to apply at public schools right away, I will wait to see if I can get a job I want, if not I will (hopefully)be able to get a certification for WA. I see a good amount of listings for museum education type positions, plus I have two years worth of unpaid internship experience at a museum, so right now I am feeling pretty confident. Like I said though, I will take what I can get at first, even if it has nothing to do with my degree, just so I can move out there and then search while living there. I just wanted to know when is too early to start applying for things out of state. Thank you for all/any help/advice!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Noah posted:

If you know anything about the company, have some questions prepared ahead of time that you can ask about the position as well. If for some reason the interviewer answers those questions, without being prompted to, reiterate that you did HAVE questions but the interviewer covered them very thoroughly.

Also, it isn't cheating to write out answers ahead of time for things like "tell us about yourself" - jsut don't read it like a zombie, just use it as a glance if you're feeling unsure of a direct response.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Okay, I need some advice on a question that is now being asked in every interview/phone call I manage to receive:

"I see it's been 4 years since you've graduated with your degree (Aerospace Engineering). How come you have no experience/haven't had a job? Have you stopped looking/Are you still pursuing a job?"

My answer to this has pretty much been "the economy", and I've only ever had one interviewer that seemed sympathetic to that (she herself was involved in a Mechanical Engineering company which had cut back due to the slow economy). This was for a certain retail chain manager position, which actually was kind enough to call me back, said I was really great in the interview, but the guy they picked had more retail experience that I.

I've even had a recruiter (from Aerotek, I think) actually say "Is there a problem with you?" and insinuated that I was lazy to the point of "If I get you a job, I need to be sure you're gonna show up every day, and do the job. You can't be slacking off, you need to work hard." Oh how much I kept myself from stamping his forehead with his name plate.

Otherwise, jobs seem to be drying up, and all my contacts are saying "lay offs are coming". It's starting to get depressing again (of course, with my high school reunion coming up, and seeing how it seems all of my friends from high school are where they want to be, not being able to even afford my own apartment is a downer).

Also, I keep getting people telling me I need to move to where the jobs are at. How do I do this when I need to be making $18/hr just to live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
4 hours is a long time to go without a job, even for those who graduated in 2008.
Even if it's not ideal, most young people will not find themselves in a position where they can literally find no work at all, and one can always volunteer (I do understand that most volunteering positions are not relevant to an engineer)

What did you do for those 4 years aside from search for jobs?

Also: You don't need to make $18 an hour to live anywhere. I scraped by in the 2nd most expensive place in the country on minimum wage. It's not sustainable in the long-term (for example, if you get unexpected medical expenses you're done for), but it can definitely work out for a 6-12 month period while you try to find better/more relevant work.

• Locked thread