Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I haven't run the Illumination adventure personally; I did read it over but didn't really think it would work for my group. Seeing as you are left with the psyker and the techpriest, you could look for ways to re-gear the encounter to give them more strengths. So you could fabricate some tests/etc for the psyker to bind the Demon and lower its combat ability, for instance. I recall it's set in a pretty primitive setting so I am not sure what the techpriest could do in a similar vein. Basically try to let them use their character skills to bring the fight down to their level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I always figured Space Marines are basically sharks. They just kind of keep living and get bigger and tougher until something kills them. You'd probably find license plates and suits of armor in their stomachs too.

I know Orks are officially like that. I just figured Space Marines pretty much are too.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
New Only War update is out: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3472

Notable changes:
  • A number of weapon tweaks, including making Earthshaker shots a lot more inaccurate.
  • Armour and structural integrity tweaked (generally reduced) on a number of vehicles.
  • Added rules for Minor Manifestations, new cheap psychic powers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You forgot to mention that M36 lasguns now get variable power settings.

Quite nice changes, I'm rather pleased with how things are going. My group is enjoying our game quite a lot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You forgot to mention that M36 lasguns now get variable power settings.

Forget them, do you see what the Triplex lasguns can now do? In one gun, you have a sniper rifle and something that can put the hurt on a Space Marine :stare: Vehicles seem easier to kill too.

EDIT: Lathe Worlds is out too. I have to say, that was fast :neckbeard:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 8, 2012

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CommissarMega posted:

Forget them, do you see what the Triplex lasguns can now do? In one gun, you have a sniper rifle and something that can put the hurt on a Space Marine :stare: Vehicles seem easier to kill too.

EDIT: Lathe Worlds is out too. I have to say, that was fast :neckbeard:

Yeah, Triplex Lasguns have just gone from "Lasgun with a peculiar effect" to one of the best weapons in the Guard's arsenal.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How much is there in the book? Is it closer to Book of Judgement or Inquisitor's Handbook?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Triplex Lasguns have just gone from "Lasgun with a peculiar effect" to one of the best weapons in the Guard's arsenal.

Definitely worth the Extremely Rare rating, I should say. Seriously- with Proven (5!!!!!), and 1d10+3 damage, AND Felling (4)- this means that you only have to contend with a Spehss Marehn's TB, which to be fair, is still fairly substantial, but still.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

So my players finished Illumination last night. I gave them Kos'ke and 2 Ashleen for the final fight, but they didn't need the help at all. The psyker player was suspicious of Aristarchus basically from the start and they had a great rivalry going and he was able to talk Aristarchus back to reality through good RP and very hot dice, ending the ritual in a flash of light. Skae didn't get to rip anyone in half which I was a little sad about (NPCs, of course).

One thing that happened that I'm not sure if I should feel bad about. One player is playing a tech priest and from what he's said only ever plays tech priests. During the Voicer assault, he hit feedback screech to stun the last combatant, then ran up to him intending to tackle him and take him prisoner. He couldn't reach him in one round, and I told him this. The next round the Voicer comes to his senses and unloads his lasgun on the tech priest at point blank, putting him from full health to crit 2 (he spent a fate to regain health but rolled poo poo), effectively removing him from the game for the rest of the night.

The player played a guardsman pregen I had for the remainder, but seemed genuinely saddened by the near-death of his character. He later said he should have known better than to run straight at an armed madman. I said I would hand-wave away any damage from this arc (characters 'on call' for 3 months), which I was going to do anyway just to give them some cash. Am I a dick for playing it out like this? I don't want to be an antagonistic groggy DM, but combat in this game is unforgiving and he did a dumb thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Well, you didn't kill him and you're waiving any long-term damage, so there isn't really a lot of harm done. If you had straight-out killed him during what is basically a warm-up story it might be a little harsh, I guess, and it would have been pretty bad if you had made him just sit out the rest of the game. But he still got to play during the session and his character will be fine going in to the next piece.

Dark Heresy can be a pretty rough game and I think that its important that players get that. If you get into fights its going to get ugly, especially if you want to do poo poo like bullrush an armed dude. It can be a pretty big shock if they're coming from a more brawl-centered game where rushing at a dude with a gun is no big deal.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

He is a tech priest and this is a really easy way to hook his character into receiving MORE augmentation to repair the damage. Dark Heresy is unforgiving, but the warhammer universe is so hosed up there are plenty of ways to resolve something in a way that is satisfactory in terms of consequence for the GM and character resolution for the player.

In terms of 'session resolution', depending on how augmented he is you could have had the brunt of the burst eat up his components, and force the players to scramble for black market replacements while the tech priest leaks oil and synthetic blood all over the floor, give him some penalties and make it so he receives heavy negative reactions from civilians and non-mech Imperium people.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Scoobi posted:

He is a tech priest and this is a really easy way to hook his character into receiving MORE augmentation to repair the damage. Dark Heresy is unforgiving, but the warhammer universe is so hosed up there are plenty of ways to resolve something in a way that is satisfactory in terms of consequence for the GM and character resolution for the player.

In terms of 'session resolution', depending on how augmented he is you could have had the brunt of the burst eat up his components, and force the players to scramble for black market replacements while the tech priest leaks oil and synthetic blood all over the floor, give him some penalties and make it so he receives heavy negative reactions from civilians and non-mech Imperium people.

Fond memories of one of my Deathwatch players deciding he was going to use his force staff to bat away an incoming plasma grenade. And rolling a 99 on the attempt.

That was the day Rune-Priest Albius became Albius Iron-Arm.

Also, the time that the Dark Angel sergeant decided he was going to hold off the rapidly incarnating horde of miscellaneous nurgle-y Daemons on his lonesome. Context is a mite spoilery for one of the published adventures: Okay so you know how in The Emperor Protects the climactic mission is heading to a corrupted forge-world? Our Heroes head straight for the big ol' Grinding Psykers Into Grist For Turning Tech-Priests Into Cut-Rate Thousand Sons device. They engage the sorceror who's running the thing. I have him Push his first psychic attack, and as per table tradition, I walk over to where the book is held to roll psychic phenomena. [I'd incidentally changed the story a bit: the sorceror was a thought-lost Deathwatch guy from the Dark Angels, who'd made a deal with the sorceror running the whole show that he'd do the Thousand Sons' bidding if they made sure the thing he was supposed to keep locked up was kept locked up.]
He rolls the "A Daemon Prince incarnates" result.
In a place full of psykers dying and surrounded by toxic sludge.

He actually makes it until the Speeder's within range to pick him up, when a plaguebearer gets him in the face with a plaguesword and crit-takes off the majority of his face.

What followed was the Chacharodon Apothecary grabbing the Scout he'd made (long story- I ran the scout as an NPC) and dangling him over the side of the Speeder in order to grab the falling Dark Angel. As a generous DM, I don't make them roll for this, it's just that sweet. What does get rolled on is the Apothecary telling Iron-Arm "You drive" while he gets to tending the wounds his brother has suffered.

He rolls crazy well, and so it ends up being narrated as he's hacking into the Dark Angel like he would into one of the enemies of the emperor, plagued flesh flying everywhere, large segments of the guy's face and upper torso coming clean off and having fast-sealing plastic applied to stop larger segments of the bleeding, and the initiate just watching with huge-rear end eyes. Eventually, Apothecary Marko is done, turns to the initiate, and explains "And that, Initiate, is the Emperor's Trial of Pain. Hope you will face it as well as he."

Maiming: It's Half The Fun!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 9, 2012

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

That is loving awesome, and the kind of thing you should do!

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
So I may have torpedoed a Rogue Trader game I'm in. I play the RT, and we had just come back from a successful mission to find a melta bomb hidden on our bridge. When we question our bridge crew they turn on us. The bomb explodes and damages a good chunk of our bridge, but we kill the mutinous redshirts. The navigator, pilot, and I are are in the medi-bay while the arch militant does some security measures. I instruct the pilot to put up posters offering a monetary reward for information. I would have had the seneschal do it but he was at work.

The navigator asks if I think it's a good idea to start a witch hunt. It's important to note that prior to this I have had issues with the crew second guessing me. I'm not saying I'm the absolute authority and I tried to incorporate other people's ideas if they weren't too ridiculous.

I ask the navigator if he is attempting to undermine my authority and he says no but I tell him is literally questioning my leadership. It quickly devolves into a heated argument, but one that I thought was still occurring in character. Given the current state of things, my past issues, and the fact that he has one wound left, I take out my plasma pistol and kill him. This of course brings the game to a screeching halt as a few other players accuse me of being petty while I maintain that was I did was in character and while maybe not this wisest choice it was fitting given my character and the tone of the setting in general.

Basically what I am asking is if I was being a huge rear end in a top hat?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

You were probably being an rear end in a top hat unless there is some really revealing information you're leaving out. Your fellow PCs should never be on such a level that suggesting an alternative strategy could be considered mutinous. Unless everyone is like literally mutinying.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Only War GM kit announced: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3485

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Scoobi posted:

You were probably being an rear end in a top hat unless there is some really revealing information you're leaving out. Your fellow PCs should never be on such a level that suggesting an alternative strategy could be considered mutinous. Unless everyone is like literally mutinying.

He didn't suggest an alternate strategy so much as he basically insulted me. Like I said we got into a heated argument. Honestly I was kind of frustrated at the whole thing and was basically feeling like we got railroaded into being hosed over. Our ship's morale was at 75, so not great but also not at mutinous levels yet. I did over-react but he could not have picked a worse time to push my buttons.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

You killed his character.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair
You took out your frustration with out-of-character problems by throwing an in-character hissy. Yeah, that's kind of an rear end in a top hat move.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

BryanChavez posted:

You took out your frustration with out-of-character problems by throwing an in-character hissy. Yeah, that's kind of an rear end in a top hat move.

My problems were in-character. My character would feel that as a leader they should trust that I was looking out for their best interests and not insult my leadership abilities in the wake of a massive incursion that we had no way of knowing about or avoiding. I should also mention that our GM frequently liked to punish me for being indecisive. Then when I try to be decisive and poo poo goes wrong I get a bunch of " I told you so's"

If I weren't the Rogue Trader I would do what they did but I wouldn't blame the RT for getting upset about it.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2012

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

metachronos posted:

My problems were in-character. As a leader they should trust that I was looking out for their best interests and not insult my leadership abilities in the wake of a massive incursion that we had no way of knowing about or avoiding. I should also mention that out GM frequently liked to punish me for being indecisive. Then when I try to be decisive and poo poo goes wrong I get a bunch of " I told you so's"

If I weren't the Rogue Trader I would do what they did but I wouldn't blame the RT for getting upset about it.

You just said you were frustrated about the whole thing because you felt like you were being railroaded into getting hosed over. That's not an in-character problem. This isn't an in-character problem in any case: you should have stopped the game and talked poo poo out before you did something as final as putting a bullet in a PC's head. Did you make it absolutely clear that this was a natural result of the argument, and made sure everyone was okay with that? Because it's clear that nobody was okay with it. This is the problem, right there. Anything else is immaterial. Your group is dysfunctional. You've got to deal with that, and you can't do that here.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Our GM also has a habit of getting butt-hurt over people questioning his story-telling choices, so that probably wouldn't have ended well either. But your right, our group has problems, and posting here isn't going to help that.

But it wasn't a bullet, it was a plasma charge :smug:.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

metachronos posted:

Our GM also has a habit of getting butt-hurt over people questioning his story-telling choices, so that probably wouldn't have ended well either. But your right, our group has problems, and posting here isn't going to help that.

But it wasn't a bullet, it was a plasma charge :smug:.

You know, I missed that it was a plasma pistol. That's basically a one in ten shot that you'd melt your own hand off instead, I think that's a fair chance on the Navigator's part.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

He also had some weird warp power active where I had to make a challenging agility test to even draw my gun on him. I didn't even argue that point because I have no idea how navigator powers work. I passed it by the skin of my teeth (needed a 32 and rolled a 28). My ballistics skill was also pretty poo poo so I had to make some lucky rolls. And he had a toughness of 70. I was lucky he had one wound left.

Anyway, after I get back from GenCon I'm going to talk to our GM and step down as Rogue Trader since I'm clearly not cut out for a leadership role.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I get what you are saying about your character's thoughts and whatever, but this really depends on your group. Are they the kind of people who put a really high premium on 'authentic RP' stuff? Even at the expense of the entire campaign and each others characters? If not, then at a certain point, as a player, it makes sense for you to curb your character reactions to keep in the bounds of how the group plays. This doesn't mean you have to hug him and make out. Couldn't you have shot like, next to his head all dramatically? Couldn't you have socked him in the face (which wouldn't have killed him, most likely)?

My group puts more important in having fun and moving things along than serious character stuff and real RP. If someone's honest character response is going to derail the whole thing, they curb that. I am sure some people will think that is terrible and wrong, but the important thing is that we're all on the same page. It sounds like you were on a different page from the other players, and that's more of the issue.

Also if your DM is pissing you off by railroading you and you feel like he is ignoring your abilities and stats, then you need to tell him that. You should have stopped the game and said 'Hang on, our morale is better than this - you know that, right? How come this is happening? Is there a reason for it?' (I mean its possible that something has happened and your crew has been infiltrated by necrons or whatever, making the morale unimportant). It does kind of sound like your DM was shoving your characters around, and your response was basically to detonate the whole game. Whether or not that can be justified on some in-character basis is sort of a different issue than what seems to be a lot of basic disfunction in your group.

Edit: This topic kind of moved while I was typing this, but whatever I am posting it anyway!

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

BryanChavez posted:

melt your own hand off instead

Problem solved.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I get what you are saying about your character's thoughts and whatever, but this really depends on your group. Are they the kind of people who put a really high premium on 'authentic RP' stuff? Even at the expense of the entire campaign and each others characters? If not, then at a certain point, as a player, it makes sense for you to curb your character reactions to keep in the bounds of how the group plays. This doesn't mean you have to hug him and make out. Couldn't you have shot like, next to his head all dramatically? Couldn't you have socked him in the face (which wouldn't have killed him, most likely)?

My group puts more important in having fun and moving things along than serious character stuff and real RP. If someone's honest character response is going to derail the whole thing, they curb that. I am sure some people will think that is terrible and wrong, but the important thing is that we're all on the same page. It sounds like you were on a different page from the other players, and that's more of the issue.

Also if your DM is pissing you off by railroading you and you feel like he is ignoring your abilities and stats, then you need to tell him that. You should have stopped the game and said 'Hang on, our morale is better than this - you know that, right? How come this is happening? Is there a reason for it?' (I mean its possible that something has happened and your crew has been infiltrated by necrons or whatever, making the morale unimportant). It does kind of sound like your DM was shoving your characters around, and your response was basically to detonate the whole game. Whether or not that can be justified on some in-character basis is sort of a different issue than what seems to be a lot of basic disfunction in your group.

Edit: This topic kind of moved while I was typing this, but whatever I am posting it anyway!

It wasn't so much I was detonating the whole game as a response as it was me getting frustrated at people blaming me for things that were out of my control.

Any way, the issue will be resolved.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You shot to kill a Navigator.

It's already a dickish thing to execute a fellow player because he questioned your plan and things escalated, but even from an in-character point of view (as opposed to meta reasons for being cooperative with fellow players) you just executed the most valuable member of the crew. That's just dumb.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ZearothK posted:

You shot to kill a Navigator.

It's already a dickish thing to execute a fellow player because he questioned your plan and things escalated, but even from an in-character point of view (as opposed to meta reasons for being cooperative with fellow players) you just executed the most valuable member of the crew. That's just dumb.

He's not stepping down as RT because of reasons, he's stepping down because no Navigator will ever work for him again. That puts a real cramp on a warrant holder.

In other news, it is now the new thing to do to to pimp Apocalypse/Dungeon World everywhere. Someone started an RT AW hack, and it looks good. His rules are here, https://docs.google.com/#folders/0B3c8gGVv-YzVYTMzNjNmNzctNjZjOC00ZDhjLTljY2QtZmI1OWY0ODkwZWEy
I like what he does with the classes, the Consort fits well with both AW and your average Rogue Trader.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah shooting a navigator is not really justifiable in character, and obviously inter-party conflict should never happen unless all parties are willing, otherwise the arch militant or the ork completely controls the flow of the game and also no one has any fun at all and you lose friends. but more importantly your ship is now adrift and incapable of making its way through the warp. Hope you have enough cryochambers for everyone because this ship is gonna take a couple of centuries before the degenerate tribals that your crew will become can manage to bring it back to port.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Liesmith posted:

Yeah shooting a navigator is not really justifiable in character, and obviously inter-party conflict should never happen unless all parties are willing, otherwise the arch militant or the ork completely controls the flow of the game and also no one has any fun at all and you lose friends. but more importantly your ship is now adrift and incapable of making its way through the warp. Hope you have enough cryochambers for everyone because this ship is gonna take a couple of centuries before the degenerate tribals that your crew will become can manage to bring it back to port.

"Alright group, the next 200 games are now, Pandorum: The Roleplaying Game!"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

Yeah I mean if the navigator had teabagged your bedridden injured self you'd just send a polite message to his house asking for a replacement. Maybe put him under luxurious house arrest and promote one of the lesser navigators to Navigator Primus until you can get this sorted out with his house.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

It's entirely possible that his Rogue Trader is an ork, which would explain everything from having a terrible Ballistic Skill, to shooting the most important person on his ship in the head for an insult, to not caring about spending the rest of his life watching his ship degenerate into a mobile Gorkamorka. This is all going according to plan.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I put one of my players' character out of commission for a session (half a session) and told him I'd hand-wave away any long term consequences and I still felt like a dick about it.

What I'm saying is you should feel like a dick.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BryanChavez posted:

It's entirely possible that his Rogue Trader is an ork, which would explain everything from having a terrible Ballistic Skill, to shooting the most important person on his ship in the head for an insult, to not caring about spending the rest of his life watching his ship degenerate into a mobile Gorkamorka. This is all going according to plan.

He's gonna have a blast if he ever gets to play a commissar in Only War.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Unrelated to killing your party members, the last two sessions my group has switched over from using the DH combat stuff to the BC version. So far it has been pretty well received - the guys miss full-autoing the gently caress out of everything they see, but it means that other weapon choices are much more interesting and viable. Our Techpriest was feeling pretty sad about his spiff lasgun before and is now much happier with it.

Our Psyker has been having ridiculously good luck the whole game. He loves to Unnatural Aim and Wall Walk (I think those are the names) and is just really, really hot with his psychic rolls. Last session he finally hit Psychic Phenomena and landed the Techpriest with some Insanity, but dodged it himself. I predict that he'll end up killing the whole party when he finally Perils himself into summoning something terrible.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

New OW update: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3490
  • Lasgun variable setting expanded to cover most las weapons
  • Hunting lance is improved but becomes single-shot
  • Tanks are one step larger in size
  • Basilisks can fire directly

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MaliciousOnion posted:

That has such amazing possibilities in 40K. Got demon problems ? Lure the big one over by the artillery park.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

MaliciousOnion posted:

I can see Imperial basilisk crews having trouble grasping the concept of aiming directly at a target, rather than some arbitrary dial setting and angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Clanpot Shake posted:

I can see Imperials having trouble grasping the concept of aiming directly at a target