Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
The push pull zoom is really awkward for me (borrowed from a pro awhile ago). I guess I'll hunt around for the 80-200mm f/2.8 (I'll try to get the AF-S) and 300 f/4 prime for now.

Edit: I'm looking around and need to figure out model numbers. This one is AF-D, correct? "Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED"

Searching shows the AF-S is denoted by IF-ED at the end.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually really loved the push-pull mechanism on my 70-200 pentax thingamabob, but it was manual focus and having both actions on one surface was really really handy. If I had AF at my disposal then I would probably opt for the two ring variety. Plus the zoom creep did get a little annoying at anything over like five or ten degrees off horizontal.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There is also a non-push-pull AF-D version, which typically sells for $700-900.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Ashex posted:

The push pull zoom is really awkward for me (borrowed from a pro awhile ago). I guess I'll hunt around for the 80-200mm f/2.8 (I'll try to get the AF-S) and 300 f/4 prime for now.

Edit: I'm looking around and need to figure out model numbers. This one is AF-D, correct? "Nikon AF Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED"

Searching shows the AF-S is denoted by IF-ED at the end.

Yah, the D in "2.8D" is the same D as in AF-D. It means the lens transmits distance info to the camera, which is mostly (only?) used for setting the flash power more accurately. AF-S lenses will usually also have that D.

There's 4 AF versions of the 80-200 in total, there's a non-D and a D version of the push pull (the D version has a crinkle finish everywhere, the non-D is smooth metal under the zoom/focus ring), there's a 2 ring D version, and there's the AF-S version. All except the AF-S have the same optics. If you want to get the AF-S version, the S is the important bit. I don't know if it's the only one designated "IF" as well, but it might be.

If the AF-S fits your budget, it's supposed to be a significant upgrade to the screw drive AF models. Of course if that one fits, that might also open you up to the 300 f4 AF-S, which is pretty much the end all, be all of telephotos that don't cost $5k or more.

Do you know what you would shoot with it? For any sort of wildlife the 80-200 is probably too short, and the 300 should be much better at taking teleconverters.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I'm starting to feel the feature creep so feel free to advise I step back and review the offering. I don't do wildlife that often but I prefer to have the room to breath when shooting.

I guess my budget is ~1k but I'd prefer to stay below rather then over 1k. I tried looking for a used AF-S but I couldn't find one under 1k, it also looks like it's about $500 more then the AF-D, so perhaps I should just settle for the AF-D instead. I would absolutely love to have the 300 f/4 but it doesn't look to be in the budget at the moment unless I get lucky and find a used one with a clear lens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get a 2 rings D but I hate push/pull on AF lenses. I own a Sigma 70-200/2.8 and I like it, but the D800 sensor really can use better optics. I just don't use it often enough that it bothers me (50/1.8 all day erryday).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the push/pull, can you decouple the focus from the barrel in AF mode, or is it FTM (which would be hilariously terrible)? I am just picturing fighting the camera which is trying to throw my wrist off the giant lens.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I had been looking for a solution like this to tether to an iPad, but my 7D doesn't take Eye Fi SD cards, so this Kickstarter solved a problem for me. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone cared, this is not a shill.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I had been looking for a solution like this to tether to an iPad, but my 7D doesn't take Eye Fi SD cards, so this Kickstarter solved a problem for me. Thought I'd share it here in case anyone cared, this is not a shill.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography

Hm, $200 isn't a bad price. I might buy into my first kick starter. I have a feeling that waiting for the second gen, or more wifi memory cards to come out might be worthwhile though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Who's the goon that works for borrowlenses.com or a similar site? I wanted to see about buying some rental certificates for my company to distribute as prizes.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
duckjob

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

Hm, $200 isn't a bad price. I might buy into my first kick starter. I have a feeling that waiting for the second gen, or more wifi memory cards to come out might be worthwhile though.

I don't really understand why they need a big ugly plasticky unit to literally do the same thing as the eyefi, at like 4 times the price.

Is it maybe faster than the eye-fi? That'd be the only redeeming feature, especially now that pro level cameras are starting to get SD card slots.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

rawrr posted:

I don't really understand why they need a big ugly plasticky unit to literally do the same thing as the eyefi, at like 4 times the price.

Is it maybe faster than the eye-fi? That'd be the only redeeming feature, especially now that pro level cameras are starting to get SD card slots.

It's not really the same at all. Via USB they are able to control the camera, take photos, change aperture, etc. I'd assume at some point they may be able to get live view working or something similar.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Quick question: if I can get a K1000 for roughly the same price that I can get an ME Super, should I opt for that instead?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Krelas posted:

Quick question: if I can get a K1000 for roughly the same price that I can get an ME Super, should I opt for that instead?

Haha, no. The K1000 is overhyped, the ME blows it away in terms of features.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Cheers, just ordered an ME Super from keh.com. Look at what you've done, dorkroom.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Krelas posted:

Cheers, just ordered an ME Super from keh.com. Look at what you've done, dorkroom.

congratulations

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I'm looking to get something to use as a primary all-purpose lens, and I have a chance to buy a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 that is in pretty good shape for $350. Is this a solid lens? I know the Tamron 17-50mm is the most recommended, but after banging around with a kit 18-55mm and an 80-200mm f/2.8 for the past few years I was thinking a little middle ground zoom range would be nice.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Dr. Lenin posted:

I'm looking to get something to use as a primary all-purpose lens, and I have a chance to buy a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 that is in pretty good shape for $350. Is this a solid lens? I know the Tamron 17-50mm is the most recommended, but after banging around with a kit 18-55mm and an 80-200mm f/2.8 for the past few years I was thinking a little middle ground zoom range would be nice.

It's the full frame version of the 17-50 and is supposed to be comparable, although I haven't used it myself.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I bought a Sigma 12-24mm for my upcoming Scotland trip. I was initially leaning towards either the Sigma 8-16mm or the Tokina 11-16mm, but the 12-24 allows me to take wide angle pictures with my N90s, and on my D7k the 18mm or so is still a fairly wide FOV.

Meanwhile I also bought 3 rolls of Ilford HP5 400 and 5 rolls of Velvia 100.

I'll have the Sigma lens and my 35-70mm f/2.8D.

I'll be in the highlands and the west coast/islands of Scotland, for about 2 weeks at the beginning of October.

Besides my desire for an 85mm f/1.8G, I think I have everything I need for good photographing times.

D7000
35mm f/1.8G
55-200mm VR

N90s
12-24mm
35-70mm

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-samurai posted:

Haha, no. The K1000 is overhyped, the ME blows it away in terms of features.

Not to mention screen quality. The ME has a huge loving screen, it's really bright, and the focus aids are the best I've ever used.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Dr. Lenin posted:

It's a pretty good lens - Konica Minolta used to carry a rebadged version of it, which I've used on both crop sensor and full frame DSLRs. Good center sharpness, good color. The corners never really get sharp on full-frame unless you're down to f/8-f/11, but they're fine on a crop sensor. Light plastic build, but not in a way that feels cheap. Like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, it's not the greatest lens in the world, but it's a pretty good lens for the money.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Can I get a recommendation on a camera bag for a 60D? I've got the 18-135 kit lens and 50/1.8.

I'm trying to decide between these two:

Case Logic Digital SLR Sling Camera Bag/Case
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Di...=canon+60d+case

Ultra Portable DSLR Camera Backpack Sling Case
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Back...=canon+60d+case

Any thoughts on either? Are they poo poo? We're going on a trip to Turkey in a couple of weeks. I imagine there will be a lot of pulling out and putting away of the camera. I'm also bringing a compact tripod. Are these poo poo? Something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VCT-R100-Lightweight-Compact-Tripod/dp/B000EFIJTA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344727370&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+tripod

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

After a lot of hunting I managed to find a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for a sweet deal :D
I'm going to need a new camera bag to carry it though :/

Edit: The guy I got the lens from will sell me this pack for $80, worth it?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 13, 2012

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I am looking for a new lens for my XSI. I already have a 50mm, and I will be doing a baby shower shoot for a friend. I would like to use this opportunity to expand my collection. What lenses should I consider for the baby shower and other events.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What lenses do you already have? Do you have a flash?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

35/2 all day erryday (but do tell us what you have).

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
e: disregard, I totally mistook the bags up there.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

Bob Socko posted:

What lenses do you already have? Do you have a flash?

I only have a 50mm 1.8 right now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

phootnote posted:

I only have a 50mm 1.8 right now.

You'll need wider. The 35mm mentioned may not be wide enough for this, but it's a good choice, right at "normal" on your camera.

I'd suggest a 24mm, though, for that specific shoot, to complement the 50mm.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ashex posted:

After a lot of hunting I managed to find a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 lens for a sweet deal :D
I'm going to need a new camera bag to carry it though :/

I have a Retrospective 20 and it fits my huge-rear end 35-100mm f/2.0 with pro body and grip attached.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!

torgeaux posted:

You'll need wider. The 35mm mentioned may not be wide enough for this, but it's a good choice, right at "normal" on your camera.

I'd suggest a 24mm, though, for that specific shoot, to complement the 50mm.

Would it be best to stick to a prime?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

phootnote posted:

Would it be best to stick to a prime?

I'd argue a fast zoom w/ a constant aperture and a flash would probably be your best investments if you'll be doing more event photography. The Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 non-VC and a 430EX would take you far.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Anyone have any advice on how to clean LEE resin filters? These sons of bitches just will not come clean without a fight. I was at Point Reyes National Seashore yesterday, and between the fog and seawater all my filters got a bit dirty. First thing I did when I got home was soak the resin filters in warm water to get the salt spray off, but they came out of the water looking nastier than when they went in. I finally managed to get all the resin filters clean after using a ton of lens cleaner and maybe 20 pec pads per filter. Meanwhile my LEE glass filters came clean in less than 10 seconds. There has got to be a more efficient way to do this. Thoughts?

Fake Edit: I read somewhere online where a guy was only able to get his filters perfectly clean by soaking them in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol overnight. Preferably it won't come to that.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

That 70s Shirt posted:

Anyone have any advice on how to clean LEE resin filters? These sons of bitches just will not come clean without a fight. I was at Point Reyes National Seashore yesterday, and between the fog and seawater all my filters got a bit dirty. First thing I did when I got home was soak the resin filters in warm water to get the salt spray off, but they came out of the water looking nastier than when they went in. I finally managed to get all the resin filters clean after using a ton of lens cleaner and maybe 20 pec pads per filter. Meanwhile my LEE glass filters came clean in less than 10 seconds. There has got to be a more efficient way to do this. Thoughts?

Fake Edit: I read somewhere online where a guy was only able to get his filters perfectly clean by soaking them in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol overnight. Preferably it won't come to that.

Shooting in Hawaii I found that the charcoal end of a lens pen worked wonders for cleaning my salt-sprayed Singh-Rays. I would recommend trying that first. (And it works incredibly well on lenses, too!)

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

That 70s Shirt posted:

Anyone have any advice on how to clean LEE resin filters?

Not sure, but it might be worth dropping LEE a message. You don't want to scratch those bad boys.

Edit: Actually, it sounds like you've already looked into that!

http://leefilters.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/23024-how-do-i-clean-my-resin-filters-

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Yeah, the salt spray dissolved in the warm water no problem, but after removing the filters they were covered in water streaks. And then cleaning the water streaks led to lens fluid streaks, which led to more streaks which led to... and so on. Like I said, I did eventually get them clean but it was quite aggravating. The glass filters just clean perfectly without any streaks, but the resin filters are a whole different beast.

And I do have a lenspen for my lenses and glass filters, but I wouldn't use it on resin filters. I'd be too afraid the charcoal/graphite powder would chew the poo poo out of them.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

That 70s Shirt posted:

And I do have a lenspen for my lenses and glass filters, but I wouldn't use it on resin filters. I'd be too afraid the charcoal/graphite powder would chew the poo poo out of them.

I would still recommend trying the lens pen. Start on an area where they are held by the filter holder just to see if there are any adverse effects. Like I said, my Singh-Rays came out whistle clean afterward, and I cleaned them daily, sometimes several times, with the pen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That 70s Shirt posted:

Yeah, the salt spray dissolved in the warm water no problem, but after removing the filters they were covered in water streaks. And then cleaning the water streaks led to lens fluid streaks, which led to more streaks which led to... and so on.

I wonder if a surfactant wouldn't help with drying problems like that, like it does with drying developed negatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just picked up a used 17-50 tamron, loving the 2.8 and the 17-50, (had a 17-40 L before and liked it). But holy cow IS THIS THING LOUD. BZZZzzzt BBBBZZZZTttt